OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

I like Clay, he's been doing this whole thing with one hand tied around his back considering his assistants. But no question this is an underwhelming hire. I'm not saying that because he isn't a big name home run, but because we needed someone new. Someone w/ a different approach/perspective than we've had post-Pete. We still come out looking unprepared and the offense is too athletic to be this lethargic, even in our wins. If Helton were in the market I wonder where he would end up.

This whole hiring process doesn't make much sense to me, at all. Does he get the job if he loses to UCLA? If we get rolled by Stanford it's going to get ugly.

How is he full of it? He said several former players. Didn't say current and didn't say all.
I'm not saying he is. I don't have any former player sources
laugh.gif

Was just posting a screenshot of players openly responding to him and players on Twitter openly engaging anti-Helton people. You rarely see current/former players so active and vocal in support of a dude.

Still wanted Harbaugh though... We coulda had him in 2010...
frown.gif

He would've been gone by now (Harbaugh). Love his style, obviously knows what he's doing and knows how to light a fire.

Unfortunately that fire scorches the earth everywhere he goes. :lol:

The hiring just doesn't make sense because of the timing. Wait until after the conference championship to make that decision. Beating UCLA and just getting there then rewarding him with the gig says to me the standard is low.

So helton is the "splash" hire that the clown cowherd was talking about?

No, I'm guessing he was talking about Harbaugh or Chip and trying to sound like the cool kid with info no one else had.

Every insider has known for a while that USC met with Harbaugh and he said he was interested but hadn't made his mind up. They also got permission from New Orleans and met with Payton who said he'd consider it, and apparently last weekend met with Kelly for a 2nd time and he officially turned them down and said he'd decided to stay in the NFL.

Cowherd was hoping that if they hit with one of those NFL hires (or Saban) that he'd sound like a genius. Now he's backtracking like he never said it. Corny.

The hiring just doesn't make sense because of the timing. Wait until after the conference championship to make that decision. Beating UCLA and just getting there then rewarding him with the gig says to me the standard is low.

No, I'm guessing/hoping the timing means there were no better options but Herman out there, and why hire Herman when you basically already have the safer version in Clay Helton?

To be fair the ESPN USC guys predicted this on Sunday. I've been in denial.

Last edited:
If UGA thought Pruitt pitched a ***** fit when he got there imagine how it's gonna be with both Pruitt & Smart there @ the same time lol

Helton is a safer version of Tom Herman?

Yes. He's from inside the family, knows the players and HS coaches, recruits families, and alums. And he's been coaching here for 6 years. Much safer than an outsider with no connections. I think Helton is a good coach and I think Herman is a good coach. Both are risks but Helton is safer because there are sensible explanations for hiring him: continuity, likability, familiarity...

Herman's resume isn't much more impressive than Clay's and Clay's doing it Vs better comp (granted with a shinier race car.)

Keyshawn just said he, Ronnie Lott, Marcus Allen, Haden and McKay interviewed a bunch of prospective hires and decided Helton was the best option.

Also said that he'll be changing up the coaching staff to fit his style. Whatever. I hope he works out.

If UGA thought Pruitt pitched a ***** fit when he got there imagine how it's gonna be with both Pruitt & Smart there @ the same time lol
Is Pruitt staying ? Heard he got yanked off the recruiting trail. That usually means school doesn't want u recruiting their kids to your future landing spot

Last edited:

This seems to be trending more and more to Kirby Smart. I caution though this is not a DONE DEAL from several sources I trust on this.

No question Clay Helton would have been a OC target had he not got the USC job. Some mention that his brother Tyson Helton at Western Kentucky could get a look as well.

Still leaning more that JP is not on the new staff from everything I continue to hear.

I can see Bama replacing Smart with Pruitt, USC west also makes sense for Pruitt, since they recruit Florida and Georgia.

Richt at least won some conference titles man. :lol:

10 yes ago. Don't know why but I got a feeling Smart is going to be Muschamp like for UGA which is great for my team so I'll be ecstatic.

Aside from winning the recruiting battle for Rosen, when Stanford (his dream school) SC, and Bama refused to offer him, what has 9 win Jim done that's worth talking about?

Richt's successes >>> his.

Last edited:
If South Carolina hires Muschamp :lol:

Might be a great landing spot for him. Expectations shouldn't be high in South Carolina. Before spurrier that place was a dump and that program was a doormat.

Only reason I feel good about Helton is that if he bombs we'll probably be on par with UCLA during the Mora/Rosen era. :lol:. There's a reason schools stayed away from the kid. He's talented but he's a ******* turd.

uugghh what a mess, wouldn't be surprised if this is what's really happening behind the scenes.

from AAC Fans Facebook page:

Insider chatter, UCF's Brent Key (the OC) and certain staff had cleaned out office up to 3 weeks prior to final game. (Leaving field at 2 PM, no more team meetings, etc) Also that that they might not of put a game plan together for ECU or USF, instead used info from past season.

This should be treated as an unconfirmed rumor, but 2 weeks prior I had been told something similar in reference to the decline of UCF program, "Coaching staff had become very dysfunctional before and after O'Leary's departure"

:x :smh:

straight up saying **** this season to the players. No wonder we looked unprepared the latter half of the season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom