OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

People reporting now that Chip turned SC down when they met. Said he'd like to stay in the NFL.

******* Giants had one job.

Last edited:
[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

[emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji]

:smh: @ Pat Haden and Max Nikias (school prez)

This **** is comedy really [emoji]128514[/emoji]

@ArashMarkazi: Clay Helton essentially took over a 3-3 team and has them one win away from the Rose Bowl. Players absolutely love him.

@DanRubenstein: Pac-12 fans - I’m sending around a thank you card to send to Pat Haden, please sign with some nice words.

Last edited:
Who's Dan Rubenstein. Don't think it's an awful hire, just not a home run hire. Looks kind of lazy, rushed unecessarily. Kind of knee jerk after beating UCLA.

We'll see how he rounds out his staff. Definitely see Tee getting promoted to OC. Hopefully still marks the end of Wilcox.

It is what it is, this screams "Pat Haden". :lol:

Maybe it works out...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I ain't gonna judge USC even though this looks meh on the surface. These kinda hires seem to payoff sometimes (word to dabo)

In other more interesting news...
But the teams they beat WERE ranked 
roll.gif

By the way, disco is ranked now (25)....

But i've been saying Bama hasn't beaten anybody for weeks.  Everybody is hanging that loss on Oklahoma to texas, and bama barely beat TN.  

USC gonna swap out all the assistants?
What exactly is the difference if they don't?

Helton as OC, fine... Helton as Head football coach is a reach

I was gong to mention Dabo, only difference is USC is a bit more high profile.

Maybe the NFL guys weren't interested (Kelly and Harbaugh). The shine on Fuente and Herman started wearing off when their teams began losing.

Big gamble. How he assembles his staff is crucial.

Syracuse, N.Y. — Every Friday at 8 p.m. during the season, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer holds a team meeting.

The session usually lasts no longer than 15 minutes. It serves to provide a final point of focus before his players grab snacks and go to sleep before game day.

This Friday, though, Shafer didn't address the team. He couldn't. Around 7:30 p.m., he pulled redshirt senior guard Rob Trudo, a team captain, into an adjacent room and handed him a stack of papers.

"There's no f***ing way I'll be able to say this tonight without getting all emotional," Trudo recalls Shafer telling him. "I want the seniors to run the meeting."

Shafer hugged Trudo and cried on his shoulder for a moment. Then Trudo returned to the meeting room and waited for the rest of the team to file in.

"It changed my complete mood from relaxed and focused up to, 'OK, this is some serious s*** now,'" Trudo said. "You see Superman cry … you know what I mean?"

The other players who had arrived early could tell Trudo's demeanor had changed. Some of those who walked in noticed, too.

Trudo glanced down at the letter as he waited for the clock to reach 8 p.m. It was titled: "For The Love Of The Game." He read through it.

When all the players were seated, Trudo asked redshirt senior offensive linemen Nick Robinson and Ivan Foy to hand out copies to everyone.

"Look, I need 10 or 15 minutes for some serious s*** right here," Trudo announced, his mind unable to escape the thought of Shafer crying minutes earlier. "Shafer, whether you love him or you hate him, he dedicated the last seven years of his life to this community.

"The least you can do is show some respect in this meeting. Give me your silence and attention."

Trudo began reading.

Trudo fought through his own tears as he read Shafer's message, interspersing a handful of personal anecdotes and directives of his own. About how Shafer was there for anyone who needed help on the field or off it. About how Shafer established brotherhood in a locker room that was "cliqued out" in 2011 and 2012. About how even Shafer's assistants are viewed by many as family.

"Think about everything Shafe's done to you, done for you," Trudo told his teammates, "all the personal relationships he's built."

Trudo reflected on the idea of the love of the game. He saw redshirt senior quarterback Terrel Hunt, who Trudo believes would kill to play another snap; Hunt suffered season-ending injuries each of the last two years and was denied a sixth season by the NCAA. He thought about himself, playing through a torn MCL down the back half of a 3-9 2014 season. He spoke to the 110- and 400-meter sprints the team ran each preseason camp, the extra dead lifts and squats and early morning runs.

And finally, Trudo called up each senior to give their parting words to the team.

"I think that was the hardest thing that I've here done here," Trudo said, "was leading that meeting."

At the end, Trudo made it clear that Shafer's message was meaningful, to the point of emotionally moving most in the room, but his motivation was wrong.

Saturday wouldn't be about the love of the game.

"When we go out and strap up tomorrow," Trudo said, "we're strapping up for Shafe."

As Cole Murphy's game-winning field goal sailed through the Carrier Dome uprights about 19 hours later, Trudo gave Shafer a bearhug on the sideline that lifted him off his feet. Moments later, Trudo and Robinson carried Shafer off on their shoulders.

The memory of his teammates' demeanor after the meeting stuck with Trudo all the way through the weekend.

"They knew it was bigger than just what it was," Trudo said. "It was bigger than just the game. We wanted to send Shafe off the right way."

People reporting now that Chip turned SC down when they met. Said he'd like to stay in the NFL.

******* Giants had one job.
laugh.gif
he ain't going to have a choice if they keep getting blown out by mediocre teams. 
Max Meyer ‏@TheMaxMeyer  48m48 minutes ago
Per a source in #USC's athletic dept., a few former USC players who played for Chip in Philly told Haden they didn't like playing under him.

View media item 1808560

USC players on Twitter are basically openly telling Feldman he's full of it.

All the current players, ton of alums, and others are jubilant.

It's the fans that are booing.

Last edited:
Helton is very likeable. I like the guy, just think this might be too big of a step for him. Same thing I thought about Herman and Fuente. 5-2 (plus LV Bowl win) is better than the one year Fuente and Herman have on their resumes IMO. Kind of a wash.

Didn't want Kelly, was actually dreading that route. Kelly is perfect... for Oregon. Let them rule the North.

Didn't mind Harbaugh, but don't think he has any intentions of leaving the NFL.

So... no "home run" hires when you really think about it. :lol:

Last edited:
 Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN  14m14 minutes ago Connecticut, USA
Colleague @Mark_Schlabach talked to high-ranking Georgia source who said Smart was the "only choice." Jives with everything I've heard.
It's rumoured that he's keeping Pruitt and bringing Napier with him as OC. 

Back
Top Bottom