OFFICIAL 2011 NBA TRADE DEADLINE THREAD (FEB. 24): VOL. WOW!

Clippers front office always make me feel better about the Grizz front office.
pimp.gif

Sure they save money on the deal, but to trade away a lottery pick for a guy like Mo? Then take into fact that you lose the chemistry you did have and Baron was playing some good basketball.

I think they couldve did more with that pick. They couldve just waited til draft time if they was gonna make that move. Thats what really gets me. You make a lateral move right now when you can do it in the offseason. I hope they just gave away the #1 pick. Lol

I mean, if it's a bad a draft class as they say, even better.

2 chances to strike gold.

Cavs need a lot of help anyway.

Who the heck is the general manager of the Clippers? I am so confused about the Baron Davis trade.

Baron Davis is going to retire.
laugh.gif
He is not going to be happy about moving from LA to Ohio and then play for the worst team in the league for years to come

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

The Cavaliers will also get an unprotected 2011 first-round pick from the Clippers while sending back forward Jamario Moon(notes)

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Sterling and crew never cease to amaze me

Okay, now I see why the Cavs made this trade.
laugh.gif

Weak draft class aside, getting two lottery picks is a good look.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Draft is "weak"

CLE better pray for #1 and #2 overall
laugh.gif

But still, that's better than Mo Williams. I'd rather have Baron's horrendous contract and 2 lotto picks than Mo Williams bad contract and 1 lotto pick

Now Clippers only have Mo Williams' bad contract, no lottery pick and probably an unhappy Blake Griffin
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
so many L's

Honestly, I don't want to say anything about the 2011 draft class. We never know if the class is weak or not. Let's just wait.

Clippers still have the Twolves 2012 first rd pick which is unprotected (almost certain will be a top 8 pick) in what will be a much better draft. They still should have least put some protection on the pick.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

I always thought Baron should have stayed with the Warriors.

Our GM at the time (Rowell) didn't want him, and that's why he left.

That trade makes sense for the Cavs, but not at all for the Clippers...

Here's why it makes sense:

1. You can't trust Baron Davis. Just because Blake smiles when he throws a lob doesn't mean Baron didn't show up fat for a 3rd consecutive year. Causing the team to start 1-13, essentially ending the season before it began.

2. Even if Baron is very good and never lazy again, paying him close to $15M in 12-13 is just not gonna work.

3. Mo Williams has a player option for $8M in 12-13, the Clippers could buy that out and he could become a free agent for that season, or they could trade him sometime before 2012. So essentially they got out of Baron Davis' contract for 12-13 and got a decent player for a first round pack, fairly standard deal.

4. Jamario Moon has a team option for $4M next year. Another expiring.

5. Frees up space to sign DeAndre Jordan to a reasonable contract ~$7-8M and still have the flexibility to acquire true difference makers to play along with Gordon, Griffin.

6. The draft is incredibly weak. Paying lottery money to a player you don't want isn't worth it. The Clippers also have Detroit's 2nd rounder this year (would be right around where Landry Fields went), they can combine that with their own 2nd, expirings, future picks or all of the above to move up in the draft if there really was a player they felt they had to have.

@reallisa (latimes)

Ran the part of the trade scenario past Baron Davis outside of the lockeroom and he looked stunned. Didn't even say the words Byron Scott.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

No it's a horrible trade for the clippers.. I don't care how you try to spin things

Please elaborate.

You can break down my post point-by-point if you feel like it, tell me where I went wrong.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by dyyhard

@reallisa (latimes)

Ran the part of the trade scenario past Baron Davis outside of the lockeroom and he looked stunned. Didn't even say the words Byron Scott.
roll.gif
... The last sentence is the best part, especially since they didn't really get along the first time w/ the Hornets. 

Originally Posted by Basketballsavant

Clippers still have the Twolves 2012 first rd pick which is unprotected (almost certain will be a top 8 pick) in what will be a much better draft. They still should have least put some protection on the pick.
This pick is from the Cassell/ Marko Jaric trade.  It's been top 10 protected for the last 5 years or so and will be unprotected in 2012.

PMac basically said what I was gonna say though.  DJ is up for an extension this offseason, EJ the offseason after and then Blake after that.

Even though Mo's contract has options till the '12-'13 season and each one is picked up, it's still money saved than Baron's deal.
Even though I've liked and followed BD since his UCLA days, the money he's being paid right now and for the next 2 seasons for his production isn't worth it.

RDM: I was referring to the 2011 pick the Clippers sent to Cleveland. They should have at least made it top 3 protected, in the event it ends up being Kyrie Iriving.

Originally Posted by Basketballsavant

RDM: I was referring to the 2011 pick the Clippers sent to Cleveland. They should have at least made it top 3 protected, in the event it ends up being Kyrie Iriving.

I agree

Back
Top Bottom