OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

Robinson Is Ready For Next Step

By Mike Lemaire
August 13, 2010
E-mail Print

In Little League, Chattanooga center fielder and Los Angeles native Trayvon Robinson would go to Family Fun Day at Dodger Stadium and dream about one day playing in a similar stadium.

Not the same stadium mind you, because, despite never having strayed too far from Los Angeles, Robinson's baseball allegiances didn't lie in Los Angeles.

"Of course I liked the Dodgers, but I grew up a Rangers fan," Robinson said with a laugh. "I just liked players like Juan Gonzalez, Ivan Rodriguez, and Tom Goodwin, so I always rooted for the Rangers."

But now, with a chance to return to the park he grew up around as player, it's safe to say Robinson's allegiances have returned to the city of his birth. On Sept. 1, which is also the date of Robinson's 23rd birthday, major league teams will expand their rosters to 40 players. And Robinson, who was put on the Dodgers' 40-man roster last November and is in the midst of the best professional season of his career, is a likely candidate to be called up.

Always a player with five-tool potential, Robinson is beginning to fully realize that potential now in his first full season at Double-A. Hitting primarily out of the No. 2 hole, Robinson is sporting an impressive .309/.408/.453 line in 369 at-bats, and also has nine home runs and 32 stolen bases in 45 attempts to boot.

Look at most of the offensive leaders in the Southern League and there is a good chance Robinson will be there. He currently ranks sixth on the circuit in runs (71) and OPS, eighth in batting average, fourth in on-base percentage, and third in walks (59) and stolen bases. With the recent trade of outfielder Andrew Lambo and the struggles of Lookouts' teammate Kyle Russell, Robinson has emerged as arguably the best outfield prospect in the Dodgers' system.

"It all comes from his growth as a player," said Lookouts' hitting coach John Valentin who also managed Robinson at high Class-A Inland Empire in 2008. "He is like a sponge soaking everything in. He has started to make strides, he understands how to approach his daily routine better, and it is paying off."

The season didn't start well for Robinson however. Robinson admits that because of his placement on the 40-man roster, he spent too much time watching the injuries and counting bodies in Los Angeles, and the result was a .224/.314/.395 line in April, and a .262/.342/.447 line in May.

"I was too busy watching what was happening in Los Angeles and it was clouding my focus," Robinson said. "I realized eventually that I can't control what goes on with the big league club, so I stopped worrying about it."

Valentin noticed another change in Robinson right around the All-Star break. He had been constantly urging Robinson to be more selective at the plate. Robinson said he heard what Valentin was saying, but it wasn't until Lookouts' manager Carlos Subero told Robinson to start using his hands more, that what Valentin was saying started to click.

Since then Robinson has been red-hot, hitting .370/.448/.440 in June, .350/.458/.550 in July, and .400/581/.467 through 30 at-bats in August.

"I made him understand he needed to take pitches more. I told him his role in the big leagues was at the top of the order, so he needed to get into better hitter's counts, take more pitches, and get on base," Valentin said. "He wasn't reading the ball well and he was swinging at pitcher's pitches. Now he understands everything so much better. I really believe this is the beginning of the new Trayvon and that we won't see anything other than good things from him from this point on."

It hasn't always been this easy for Robinson however. In fact, even as far back as high school, the 5-foot-11, 195-pound Robinson has been flying under the radar. Before signing with the Dodgers, Robinson attended Crenshaw High School in Los Angeles. Crenshaw has produced talented baseball players in the past, most notably former All-Star Darryl Strawberry, but the Cougars' baseball team has always played third fiddle to basketball and football.

In fact, despite some of their notable alumni, the Crenshaw baseball program isn't particularly strong. 2004 graduate Dan Nelson is the only other Crenshaw graduate playing professional baseball and he is currently toiling in high Class-A for the Nationals. In 2008, now California sophomore Cameron Hart became the first Cougar to play Division I college baseball in almost 25 years.

That lack of tradition and the fact that Robinson was swooped up by the local organization in the 10th round in 2005 made it easy for critics to discount Robinson's playing ability. The pressure of success and the completely new surrounding of the Gulf Coast League made it tough for Robinson early.

"When I came out, everybody was thinking 'He came from Crenshaw so he can't be that good because they don't play good baseball,'" Robinson said. "It was hard early on because I put a lot of pressure on myself. I was 17 years old, I had never been out of Los Angeles really, and I was just trying to adjust to the Florida weather and Florida culture. But not getting a hit every time is frustrating," he continued, repeating the word twice more for emphasis. "Finally at the end of last year I just said 'Forget it' and just started to play my game."

As if he didn't have enough to adjust to, when Dodgers' coaches saw Robinson's plus speed in person, they urged the natural righthander to try switch-hitting. So every morning Robinson, who said he had never even tried to hit lefthanded before, was in the batting cages at 7:30 a.m., working on his lefthanded swing.

The adjustment the Dodgers' hoped would help maximize his speed actually hurt Robinson in the beginning as he struggled mightily and allowed himself to get discouraged.

"At first, I was really really bad," said Robinson, who was able to laugh at his struggles looking back. "My top hand was really weak and I had a lot of conversations with [Dodgers' farm director] De Jon [Watson] about it and I told him, 'I don't think I can make it to the big leagues as a switch-hitter.'"

Eventually, with practice, Robinson improved his swing from both sides of the plate and settled in as a full-time switch-hitter. This season his .306/.407/.435 line against righthanders is nearly identical to his .316/.409/.491 line against lefthanders, and he said he feels comfortable from either side of the plate.

Still there was plenty of work left for Robinson to do before he could convince coaches and scouts he was ready for the next level.

Like any young hitter, Robinson was too aggressive at the plate in his first few seasons as a professional. Playing for low Class-A Great Lakes in 2007, Robinson posted a .314 on-base percentage and a lackluster 119-to-32 strikeout-to-walk ratio. The next season, even with Valentin constantly in his ear telling him to be more patient and work for a hitter's count, Robinson walked just 33 times and struck out 104 times.

For Valentin, it wasn't the high strikeout totals that concerned him. It was the fact that Robinson wasn't capable of reaching his full potential and tapping his raw power because he wasn't swinging at good pitches.

Then, having hit just 12 professional home runs prior to last season, Robinson crushed 15 home runs and 28 doubles. The reasoning behind his newfound power differs depending on who you talk to.

Robinson's story is that he was frustrated with rolling over so many balls, so when Valentin suggested he switch from a 33.5-inch bat to a heavier, 35-inch bat, Robinson gave it a shot. He rolled a lot of tape over the handle to help his feel, and all of sudden he was able to stay through the ball much better.

Valentin credited the newfound power to Robinson's ever-maturing discipline at the plate. He said that Robinson was doing a much better job of working the count, and getting pitches he could drive. Now, despite the fact that Robinson has nine home runs and openly talks about enjoying his new power, Valentin said he wishes Robinson would swing for the fences more often.

"I am always asking him to take more chances," Valentin said. "When he gets in those hitter's counts, I am always pushing him to be more aggressive because I think he has a chance to hit 20 or 25 home runs in the big leagues."

Valentin also said he believes Robinson is ready for the next level and that, while it will be a challenge for him against veteran pitching, a September call-up could give Robinson even more confidence to help him stay in the big leagues.

For now, Robinson can't get past the emotions that will come with playing in the big leagues, in the city he grew up in. In other words, if he does make it there this season, expect things to get misty.

"I will cry," Robinson said only half-joking. "There's nothing else, I will just cry. I remember going there when I was younger and to go back 15 or 16 years later as a player...man, that would be unreal."
Reply | Quote

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

08/16/10 11:58 AM ET

ATLANTA -- The Dodgers' first-round pick, Zach Lee, remained unsigned on Monday, and the quarterback participated in LSU's morning football practice.

The club has until 9:00 p.m. PT to sign Lee. If he does not sign, the Dodgers will receive the 29th overall pick in next year's First-Year Player Draft as compensation.

As a two-sport star, Lee has the leverage to demand a signing bonus reportedly in the neighborhood of $5 million, even though the slotted bonus price for his spot is roughly $1.3 million. It is believed that the Dodgers are prepared to offer Lee more than the $2.3 million it took to sign Clayton Kershaw in 2006, a club record for a Draft pick.

After a Saturday scrimmage, LSU football coach Les Miles said that Lee would compete for snaps as a freshman and would not be redshirted.

Kevin Gausman, the Dodgers' sixth-round pick, informed the club that he will not sign and has reported to LSU.

Lee is definitely not gonna get snaps as a freshman and I get the feeling that they're just saying he won't be redshirted so he doesn't feel the urge to sign with the Dodgers.

We'll see what happens.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Lee is definitely not gonna get snaps as a freshman and I get the feeling that they're just saying he won't be redshirted so he doesn't feel the urge to sign with the Dodgers.

We'll see what happens.
My exact reaction to reading that as well.

It's like a girlfriend that's on the brink of potentially losing you feeding your ear a lot of noise.

Only ~11 hours to find out

He's definitely playing up his bonus. I mean really, a freshman starting QB at LSU? Not gonna happen.

Not sure how "ready" he would be in 1-2 years, but I say we start building up the team from scratch.

Nice article on T. Robinson up there too. Would like to see the kid play later this year.

A future outfield of Ethier/Kemp/Robinson
pimp.gif

We can only hope.

One player who is thought to be a "tough sign" is Zach Lee, a right-handed pitcher whom the Dodgers selected in the first round but who is presently participating in summer camp as a quarterback at LSU. Lee, the No. 26 pick overall, is said by people to have received an offer from the Dodgers that likely encompasses his dual sports. The Dodgers are in a difficult financial situation due to their divorcing owners and legal bills, so the person thought the Dodgers' offer may be backloaded.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/08/16/heyman.draft.sign/#ixzz0wnRvQhgP

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Sign USC Commit Joc Pederson[/h1]
by Eric Stephen • Aug 16, 2010 12:55 PM PDT

The Dodgers have signed 11th-round draft pick Joc Pederson, per Jim Callis of Baseball America:
The Dodgers and 11th-round pick Joc Pederson have agreed to terms ona $600,000 bonus, four times MLB’s recommended $150,000 maximum forchoices after the fifth round. It’s also the largest bonus Los Angeleshas paid out so far to a 2010 draftee, though they’re expected to makea well-over-slot run at first-round pick/Louisiana State quarterbackZach Lee

Pederson had committed to play for USC, which fired head coach Chad Kreuter earlier this month.

Pederson, a left-handed center fielder from Palo Alto High School innorthern California, is the son of Stu Pederson, a former major leagueoutfielder who was drafted by the Dodgers in the ninth round of the1981 draft.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Sources: Dodgers, Pederson agree[/h2]

By Tony Jackson
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive

ATLANTA -- Joc Pederson, a center fielder from Palo Alto High School and the Los Angeles Dodgers'11th-round pick in this year's draft, has agreed to terms with the clubon a $600,000 bonus, a figure that could be the largest awarded by theDodgers to any of their 2010 draftees, multiple sources confirmed onMonday.

Logan White, the Dodgers' assistant general manager foramateur scouting, said the deal with Pederson wasn't complete. But thedeal is believed to be completed in principle and set to becomeofficial when Pederson passes a physical examination, and a sourceclose to the situation said Pederson was undergoing that exam onTuesday afternoon.

There was still no indication of whether theDodgers were getting close to an agreement with their first-round pick,right-hander Zach Lee from McKinney (Texas) High School. Lee, who hasaccepted a football scholarship to play quarterback for Louisiana StateUniversity, has until midnight ET Monday night to change his mind andsign with the Dodgers.

If Lee doesn't sign, Pederson's bonuswill be more than $100,000 higher than that paid to any of the Dodgers'other draft picks. Second-round Ralston Cash, a right-hander out ofLakeview Academy in Georgia, received a $464,000 bonus.

Pedersonprobably would have been taken much higher in the draft, but fell tothe 11th round because it was widely known he was seeking aseven-figure bonus, a source close to the situation said. Pederson hada scholarship offer in hand from the University of Southern California,giving him some degree of negotiating leverage. He was being advised byagents Adam Karon and Matt Sosnick of San Francisco-based Sosnick/CobbeSports.

Pederson, 18, is a left-handed hitter and thrower. Hisfather, Stu, a former USC player himself, appeared in eight games forthe Dodgers in 1985, going hitless in four at-bats.

Tony Jackson covers the Dodgers for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

There's one down.

Football: QB Zach Lee not at afternoon practice - 5:55 p.m.

By Staff Reports

Published: Monday, August 16, 2010

Updated: Monday, August 16, 2010

LSU dual-sport athlete Zach Lee was not at the Tigers' afternoon football practice today.

The Los Angeles Dodgers drafted Lee in the first round of this summer's MLB draft, and speculation has swirled about whether or not he will sign with the National League club.

The Times Picayune reported Lee was at LSU's first practice this morning, but the afternoon session was closed to the media and Lee did not attend.

The deadline for Lee to sign a professional contract is tonight at 11:00 p.m., local time.

Hard to be ANYWHERE when you're negotiating millions, not reading anything too deep out of this

Stupid $@$ Torre
indifferent.gif

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgers/[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Blog[/h1][h2]Steve Dilbeck and The Times’ Dodgers reporters
give you all the news on the boys in blue[/h2]

« Previous Post |Dodgers Blog Home
[h1]Zach Lee still on the clock, but Dodgers do spend $600,000 to sign Joc Pederson[/h1]
August 16, 2010 |  5:40pm
The Dodgers are getting all suspenseful with their potential signing of No.1 draft pick Zach Lee, but they have made one deadline deal.

They signed 11th-round pick Joc Pederson for $600,000 on Monday, easily the most they’ve spent on any current draft pick.

The deadline to sign Lee is tonight at 9 PDT.

Lee has been at Louisiana State's football camp for weeks, and the quarterback was there for the Tigers’ morning workout. Times Dodgers beat writer Dylan Hernandez, however, reported that Lee skipped the afternoon session to be with family and meet with Dodgers representatives.

Lee’ssigning would be a major coup for the Dodgers, most teams backing offthe right-hander because they were convinced he wanted to playquarterback at Louisiana State.

But teams also reportedly backed off Pederson because of his asking price and the Dodgers were able to land him on the last day.

Pedersonwas committed to play baseball at USC and told Hernandez he was gettingready to drive from Palo Alto to the Trojans’ campus when the Dodgerscame up with a late, attractive offer.

The $600,000 signing bonus was four times the slotted amount for selections after the fifth round.

Hernandezsaid Pederson is scheduled to report to the Dodgers’ trainingfacility in Arizona on Wednesday. His father, Stu, briefly played forthe Dodgers in 1980.

The Dodgers are on the brink of signing the heretofore unsignable Zach Lee about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck Retweeted by 11 people

stevehenson333

Steve Henson

http://www.ajc.com/sports...p-as-pirates-593386.html

James McDonald: McDonald has a fine effort Monday
James McDonald - S - PIT - Aug. 16 - 9:59 pm et

James McDonald gave up just one run over seven impressive innings in Monday's 7-1 win over the Marlins.
The righty allowed just three hits, walked two and struck out six. McDonald didn't fare too well in his last start with the Bucs, but two of his three outings have been superb, as he boasts a 2.55 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 20/3 K/BB ratio over 17 2/3 innings with his new team. The Pirates looked to be getting a coup when they landed McDonald via trade last month, and he's making them look very smart thus far. He'll face the Mets Saturday. Aug. 16 - 9:59 pm et

Back
Top Bottom