OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

To all the people who clowned BHZ forbeing a clown/homer thruout the season what're yall thoughts on theGrizz now?? Do yall think this run is a fluke, are they legit?
Huge fluke.

And he is still a clown and a homer, who just happened to get a little lucky.

They will struggle to win a series next year.

I am a bit worried the Grizzlies got "lucky". They played a flawed Spurs team that was one big man too short and a Thunder team that's still not quite there yet. I hope this isn't the Grizzlies peaking super early. It kind of worries me the same way the Jazz came out of no where in 2007 playing the flawed Rockets and Warriors then struggled to live up to expectations the following three to four years.

Still, credit needs to be given.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

To all the people who clowned BHZ forbeing a clown/homer thruout the season what're yall thoughts on theGrizz now?? Do yall think this run is a fluke, are they legit?
Huge fluke.

And he is still a clown and a homer, who just happened to get a little lucky.

They will struggle to win a series next year.

bhz is cool, but he sorta reminds me of outtacontrolmusic and belle155.

I dunno, what teams out West still have room to improve and get better like Memphis can? 

Portland ain't gonna do nothin.  Same team every year, 4 guys will blow a knee, can't make a jump shot, no go to guy if Roy's knees add yet another year of tear to them. 
Dallas another year older, this time wtih a shorter offseason due to a longer playoff run, plus still not sure on contracts, Caron/Chandler/JJ/Peja
SA, older and already exposed
LA, no idea what they do yet without Phil, Bynum always a concern, not sure if/when a trade gets made
Denver, no legit stars and contract issues with JR and Kenyon maybe not coming back. 
N.O., Paul will be healthier with another year of recovery on that knee, but then West will be coming off a knee, and the rest are role guys wrapped in different packages. 

Houston?  I ain't seen a damn thing to think they comin up.
Phoenix? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

G State, Minny and Sac still a bit too far away, maybe another year or two
Clippers?  I could see them be that team that jumps up to 8, 40-41 win type team if they get lucky all year, add a piece maybe, continued growth etc etc. 
Utah, gonna be a while.

And then you have OKC and Memphis.  Both are young enough to keep improving.  I still think OKC has the higher ceiling because of Durant and Westbrook, but Memphis has the better core 5-6 guys in their rotation.  If Conley gets just a smidge better, Gay comes back, and the rest don't get too comfy with their new found status and slack off, they should be fine.  Find a way to keep Shane, if they flip OJ, then at least flip him for a piece that works/adds to their team.  No reason Memphis shouldn't be right back in the postseason next year, with health of course, and uh, a new CBA deal might help. 
laugh.gif
  (wait.........why do I have this feeling I typed this before, like last year sometime? 
laugh.gif

Only way I see Memphis fall off completely is if they spend the summer flakin off thinkin they made it.  Then yes, they will fall, but if they just get hungrier and come back with just a little improvement, they should be fine imo. 

And to PMatic's point, well hell, every year is a matchup thing.  Memphis could get the 5 seed and run into a team in the 4 that closes the year out with 15 straight wins, every year is about matchups to a degree.  Utah in 07 was just simply, a down year.  They wouldn't have beaten Dallas if Dallas could have gotten past GS.  Just one of those years. 

That's just how I see it as of now, certainly trades/signings can adjust things, but Memphis can improve without making deals, or it can improve with making deals, not every team has that luxury.  Some of the West teams are what they are, and if they don't make trades, they won't have enough to get better than they were this year. 

What CP said is basically what I said at the beginning of last and this season. When a young team continues to grow, you don't necessarily need big pieces to keep them going. If it was a fluke, then some of you would've actually had Memphis at least winning the 1st series. This is the MAIN reason why I had them going to the WCF this year. I knew they were capable of beating the Spurs and possibly OKC. Now, if it was LAL in the 1st round, I probably would've marked them out in 6 but look how that turned out.
laugh.gif

And me? belle or outtacontrol?
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

I don't see how you can still call it a fluke and they suppose to been out the playoffs though. Luck doesn't get you predicting the right record for your team the past two seasons or predicting the team actaully making some noise in the playoffs due to the matchups. If it was luck, they would've beat San Antonio and got clowned by OKC without Rudy right? Maybe your just blind.  This was not like the year of Golden State when they beat Dallas and got ran over by Utah. Maybe you need the team to win a damn championship before they aren't flukes anymore. If you basically have the same team coming back next year, these guys will be better solely off of playoff experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see the team off to another slow start, but will still win 50+ games this season and compete for that 4th seed.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Portland ain't gonna do nothin.  Same team every year, 4 guys will blow a knee, can't make a jump shot, no go to guy if Roy's knees add yet another year of tear to them. 

4 blown knees.
No jump shots.
Same team every year.
Scrubs.
No "go to guy."

... but they know what it's like to actually win a postseason game against the Mavericks.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

Originally Posted by CP1708

4 blown knees.
No jump shots.
Same team every year.
Scrubs.
No "go to guy."

... but they know what it's like to actually win a postseason game against the Mavericks.

I don't think that a Portland Trailblazers fan can ever slander the Lakers, Chester.

Originally Posted by henz0

pimp.gif

To all the people who clowned BHZ for being a clown/homer thruout the season what're yall thoughts on the Grizz now?? Do yall think this run is a fluke, are they legit? Better without Gay or would they be even scarier?
nerd.gif

I think they'll be back in the playoffs next year. Not sure if Rudy will make them better or not since he's going to take away a lot of touches from the bigs. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

*yaaaaawwwwwn*

Congrats.  Now tell me what it's like to win a playoff series.  Just google the year 2000 for clues.  Thx

And you know damn well you agree with everything I said, quit foolin. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

pimp.gif

To all the people who clowned BHZ for being a clown/homer thruout the season what're yall thoughts on the Grizz now?? Do yall think this run is a fluke, are they legit? Better without Gay or would they be even scarier?
nerd.gif

I think they'll be back in the playoffs next year. Not sure if Rudy will make them better or not since he's going to take away a lot of touches from the bigs. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

laugh.gif
 My popcorn is ready for this. 

I guess those whispers of the Grizzlies relocating are all but dead now...

Originally Posted by Proshares

I actually think they'll be better with Gay healthy next year. Mayo will be gone.

They succeeded because they were without Gay, they will not be better with him playing. i can put $$$$ on that.

^Do it then
laugh.gif

I love when people say they are willing to put money on it yet they don't ever bet on sports
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Originally Posted by Proshares

I actually think they'll be better with Gay healthy next year. Mayo will be gone.

They succeeded because they were without Gay, they will not be better with him playing. i can put $$$$ on that.

nerd.gif
 I bet you won't.

Better yet, I know you won't. This is coming from the same guy who said the Grizzlies had no chance of making the playoffs after Rudy went down and they were not a good team.

Oh..and I think its safe to say the Grizz wouldn't be here if they traded OJ for McRoberts at the deadline. THAT'S what should be discussed, not if Rudy was on the damn roster.
laugh.gif

personally i think Rudy can come in and fit perfect... With this current team hes not gonna Have to be a dominant scorer he can go out and score 20 easily and help with the small things. The only thing that concerns me with them is getting another all star caliber PF because over the next 2-3 years zach will slow down and not be able to give them that consistent 20/10

Originally Posted by tyisny

personally i think Rudy can come in and fit perfect... With this current team hes not gonna Have to be a dominant scorer he can go out and score 20 easily and help with the small things. The only thing that concerns me with them is getting another all star caliber PF because over the next 2-3 years zach will slow down and not be able to give them that consistent 20/10
Once Rudy returns he'll get his 17-20 PPG. It's just a matter of taking the right shots.

And Z-Bo should be fine considering his game is based primarily on strength, positioning, footwork and pure skill. With all the money the Grizzlies have given out the past 12 months and Gasol's impending free agency, I worry they'll not only lose Juice (foregone conclusion) but also DA. He's been a key player for the Grizzlies the entire season. He's developed into a reliable off the bench scorer and quality defender.

Originally Posted by tyisny

That's when I'm hoping DA can step in and kinda why I don't want to get rid of OJ. Arthur won't be nearly as effective as Zbo on the block, but he will be competent and would make us even better defensively. Averaging 13-15pts, 7-9rebs and a block seems realistic for him as a starter. OJ should stay in the long haul because we will need another scoring option once Zbo leaves. In Zach's last year of his contract, Marc will be 30. I wouldn't be comfortable with him being the 2nd option after Rudy. 

If your thinking long-term, this team needs to keep OJ and Arthur within all means. Short-term, the team would probably let OJ go. I'm still unsure on what the front office will do this off-season with OJ. All previous signs say they will trade him, but Heisley just may end up keeping him. Not to mention, Tony Allen only has two more years on his deal after this season. Who will be the starting SG? Can't say Henry because he hasn't proven anything yet.

With all the money the Grizzlies have given out the past 12 months and Gasol's impending free agency, I worry they'll not only lose Juice (foregone conclusion) but also DA. He's been a key player for the Grizzlies the entire season. He's developed into a reliable off the bench scorer and quality defender.

P, you should know more than anybody that DA will stay. Memphis knows their bench is part of the reason why they are successful. What good does it do to let OJ and DA go? OJ would be more replaceable though. Bring in another big and a cheap shooter. Vasquez will keep improving and its hard to see them letting Shane go as well. There's not a bone in my body that says Heisley won't keep this entire team together (with possibly the exception of OJ).

I could see a team throwing a lot money at DA. I mean, Amir Johnson got $35 million last year. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Big guys that are as young, athletic and skilled as DA will draw a lot of interest from teams. It's the dilemma the Grizzlies have put themselves in overspending on Rudy and not waiting until the new CBA was done to extend Z-Bo and Conley.

I would never get over not giving Rudy the $65M he wanted a season before only to give him $80+
frown.gif

Bittersweet.

Back
Top Bottom