OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

airmaxpenny1 wrote:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Let's just wait and see man
wink.gif

You caught me right at the end of the day yesterday man, I didn't have time to reply and I really wanted to explain why I think it's impossible. 

Wade will be 30 next year already, and is always hurt in one way or another.  Hell, I am surprised he made it thru this year with all his limps, dives, bangs and all that he goes thru in every game. 

So you win a title, you play 20+ extra games, shorten your offseason by 4-8 weeks. 

Now add that 3 more times.  That's MINIMUM 60+ more PLAYOFF games (much tougher than your average game in December) as well as a reduction in each offseason by say an average of 6 weeks. 

You see Dwayne Wade playin the next 4 years, at roughly 500 or so games total, short offseasons, up to the age of 33 without breaking down?  I would hope that you don't try and sell me that's the plan. 
laugh.gif

4 years is a TON of wear and tear, which is what I was basing my point off of.  It's why I laugh at folks who claim MJ coulda done 8 straight. 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You should remember better than all of us since you were in your early 30s back when Jordan won his first ring.
wink.gif

I heard Bill Simmons comment on one of his podcastsabout a doctor(?) who studied DWade's running form and how it has and willaffect his knees and ankles in terms of wear and tear in the future.  Ifound this article on ESPN and thought it was interesting.
[h3]How LeBron James and Dwyane Wade run[/h3]
March, 3, 2011
Mar 3

11:17

AM ET
By Henry Abbott
The other day, I wrote about how the book "Born to Run" has changed my runningstyle.

Proponents of such changes make big claims -- that running the "rightway" can make you faster, more efficient and less injury prone. It almostsounds like snake oil ... but it comes with a fairly big, and growing, body ofevidence in support.

And yet very few NBA players seem to be part of the new running form movement.

Dr. Nicholas Romanov is one of the movement's high priests. He espouses amethod of running called POSE, which you can learn about in thisBBC report, for instance. His son and colleague Severin says theyare also very proud of the work they do now with the U.S. military, advisingsoldiers how to travel long distances on foot, carrying heavy loads, whileminimizing energy waste and injuries. You can learn a lot about their work fromtheirYouTube channel.

While they have not worked with NBA players (and they are frank that they wouldlove to) the Miami-based Romanovs are also basketball fans. Nicholas played forhis university in the Soviet Union, and watched any film he could of the earlyNBA. (He says that Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain -- who were both trainedin track and field -- were the only NBA players he has seen with trulyexcellent running form.) Severin is a long-time Heat fan, who often attendsgames, and has long had concerns about Dwyane Wade's running form.

The Romanovs have lots of ideas about how NBA players might move moreefficiently to reduce injury and improve performance. But the most basic oftheir ideas is that, while players might not want to tinker with what they doon offense and defense, at the very least they might want to consideroptimizing their stride when they are under no pressure running up and down thecourt. That's something they do a lot, but can work on without having it messwith their overall game.

Dr. Nicholas Romanov says Wade's striking with his heel has potential todiminish the guard's career.

Dr. Romanov spent some time examining the photographs you see here, ande-mailed thoughts about the running forms of James and Wade:

On two pictures, of two greatbasketball players from Miami Heat and NBA, caught at the same moment of movingforward with the ball, we can see two different ways of running. It is possibleto say, that it could look coincidental, but, at the same time, it is verylikely that these pictures represent the underlying inefficiencies of eachrespective athlete in the way they move.

It is obvious that LeBron James' landing and keeping his body weight over theforefoot or ball of the foot presents a very dynamic body position movingforward with acceleration by falling forward from his support foot. From aphysics point of view, his body is in a favorable position to harness theever-present force of gravity most advantageously in order to move forward, orin any other direction.

This body position allows LeBron to use gratuitous forces like gravity, groundreaction force (GFR) and muscle-tendon elasticity to his advantage to engagehis body weight into the action of moving. Consequently it allows him to reducemuscular tension and impact on all support tissues.

In contrast, Dwyane Wade is landing on the heel in front of the body with adorsoflexed foot, which acts like a brake to his forward momentum with everystride.

Even at the first glance, these pictures are sending a quite simple and clearmessage: the first player is moving more efficiently and freer, and the secondplayer inhibits his forward movement with every stride and game maneuver(moving sideways, changing directions). We can conclude that Dwyane Wade couldbe a far more efficient athlete if he could change his support more freely fromthe forefoot, a more favorable position for movement.

The other conclusion arriving from these pictures is that the second player(Dwyane Wade) has a higher chance to sustain an injury to his knee and ankle.Judging by his body position as he runs, we can infer that there is a lot ofexcess stress being placed on those parts of the body. His knee braces may be aresult of his technique inefficiencies. This kind of movement could overloadthe foot and decrease ankle instability, not to talk of reducing the mobilitylevel of the athlete.

Going through this short observation of running technique of elite basketballplayers, we can see that technique of running is not a privilege of athletes atthe elite level, and that they are as vulnerable there as everyone else and,therefore, they need to improve their skill in this area.

Considering how much players run during their games, it is quite clear, thevalue of the efficient and skillful running in basketball. Developing runningskill (technique) is very promising approach, which could extend their career,health, team success and fan’s enjoyment watching their performance on a muchhigher level.

Here's something on Andrew Bynum from a few weeks back.
Trainers learned that Bynum underwent his first knee operation when he was 12 and were concerned about his Q angle—the relationship between his pelvis, leg and foot. According to head athletic trainer Gary Vitti, a wide Q angle can affect the way the kneecap glides along the thigh bone and can also cause increased foot pronation, both common sources of injuries. "Andrew is challenged in terms of his skeleton," Vitti says. "But we can work with those issues to some degree. What you can't do is take someone with a normal Q angle and make him 7 feet, 285 pounds."

Link

and is always hurt in one way or another.

idk, he appears to be, but at the same time, last 3 years: 79, 77 and 76 games at an elite level. He had his stretch where it looked like he was going to be headed down a bad road, but he's bounced back.  (& I personally think he likes to milk the hits he gets in game.)

not saying they win 4 straight. They won't. (although collectively when their time is up, I think 4 very well may be the ring count if they get one this year to start)

You build a better team around them (should happen by default, almost) + Bron still has years of his athletic prime left..you can bring Wade down to 32, 33-34 minutes a night and can give him nights off. At least that should be the idea.

One thing that could work in their favor long-term to preserve Wade is a lock out next year that takes off 25/30 regular season games.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

and is always hurt in one way or another.
idk, he appears to be, but at the same time, last 3 years: 79, 77 and 76 games at an elite level. He had his stretch where it looked like he was going to be headed down a bad road, but he's bounced back.  (& I personally think he likes to milk the hits he gets in game.)

Sure, and out in the first round each time too.  Go ahead and add 2 tougher months worth of ball those years, see if he comes back at 75+ each season thereafter. 

And I've told you before, good point on the milking. 
laugh.gif
  I could be thrown off there. 

CP I hear what your saying but in 3 years James will be 29, probably at the peak of his prime. Same with Bosh. While he has sucked this year, he is better than he has shown and will do better as he increasingly adjusts to the limelight. Who is to say Wade won't shift over to a #3 option by that point in time? And as these guys keep winning, which they certainly will, they will have a plethora of veterans chasing a ring who will sign with them for cheap. I certainly don't see any team beating them next year and unless another power trio forms (CP3 to NYC?), I don't see a team that is really at their level. Its all speculation at the end of the day so its all BS.

But let me throw out a lil' more BS...If there is a full season next year, I fully expect them to challenge that 70 win mark.

Or Dwight moves to LA with Pau and Kobe, and we have what it takes then to stop Miami given our extra 7 weeks of rest this offseason. 

Not to mention as Miami grows, so grows OKC. 

And I honestly do hope CP3 goes to NY.  I think that would be awesome.

There are obstacles along the way.  Even if I agree, Bosh will start to grow at some point.  But as Simmons has mentioned, sometimes when teams win, people get "hungrier" for their own agendas and that throws things off track.  What if Bosh did get pissed and not getting any credit and went for his?  Or something like that.  Simmons had a name for it in his book.  Rule of 3 or something lame like that. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Or Dwight moves to LA with Pau and Kobe, and we have what it takes then to stop Miami given our extra 7 weeks of rest this offseason. 

Not to mention as Miami grows, so grows OKC. 

And I honestly do hope CP3 goes to NY.  I think that would be awesome.

There are obstacles along the way.  Even if I agree, Bosh will start to grow at some point.  But as Simmons has mentioned, sometimes when teams win, people get "hungrier" for their own agendas and that throws things off track.  What if Bosh did get pissed and not getting any credit and went for his?  Or something like that.  Simmons had a name for it in his book.  Rule of 3 or something lame like that. 

The "Disease of More" is what I think he called it.

Problem: Wade might break down sooner than LBJ and Bosh, thus hurting the Heat's chances to win multiple titles.

Solution: Sit Wade for 65 games then bring him back for the final 17 and playoffs. Because a team with LBJ and Bosh will still win enough to be top 4 in the East
laugh.gif

Chris Sheridan had a pretty interesting trade idea today on 1st & 10...

CP3 for Russell Westbrook.

If the Hornets think they will lose Paul, and the Thunder get some type of guarantee that Paul will sign long term in OKC, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Yeah, Paul's older but he JUST turned 26 and he fits the Thunder so much better.

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

westbrook for #1 pick (kyrie irving). 10x cheaper than chris paul/rondo and has his potential

Irving is nothing special, i dont think dude is gonna be any good.

Westbrook isn't getting moved folks.  Let it go. 

Earliest I see him not being in OKC is 3-4 years.  For now, he stays. 

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

westbrook for #1 pick (kyrie irving). 10x cheaper than chris paul/rondo and has his potential

Yall are wilding out. Damn. Trade and up and coming star for an unproven player that's going to be adjusting to the toughest position in basketball in the league? Right.

I damn sure wouldn't move Russ for Rondo %+!! that.

Russ isn't going anywhere. Nor should he.

Back
Top Bottom