|||--- OFFICIAL 2009 NHL OFF-SEASON THREAD.....BOSTON BRUINS TRADE PHIL KESSEL TO TORONTO ---|||

Originally Posted by cquan05

The Vancouver Canucks have announced the signing of free agent goaltender Andrew Raycroft.

Can someone explain this signing to me? I understand Labarbera going to PHX, but does Van City have no faith in Schneider?

Living in Alberta, all I heard was a small blurb about the signing...

ALEX KOVALEV HAS SIGNED A 2 YEAR DEAL WORTH $10 MILLION WITH THE OTTAWA SENTATORS.
eek.gif

Komisarek isn't that great IMO. And the jury is still out on Beauch. IDK if he can consistently play the same as he did when he had Scotty to back him up.

Komisarek isn't suppose to be "great" though......he's a solid young defenceman that brings leadership and toughness to what was a very baddefensive group last year. He's also got a cannon from the blueline, so that'll come in handy on the PP. It's clear that Burke isn't lookingfor 6 Mike Green's who will put up points from the backend, and I'm just fine with that. Beauchemin is pretty much the same, he won't put up 50points for us but he will be a rock back there and will be a good stay at home dman.

What I want to see Burke do is get some forwards who WILL put up points for us. I think he's more than likely going to trade Kaberle for a top 5 forwardand some prospects maybe. It'll be interesting to see what he does now with our forwards. I like the direction we're going in so far though.
pimp.gif

VOORHEES, N.J. -- Chris Pronger says he's willing to discuss a contract extension with the Flyers that will keep him in Philadelphia beyond next season, and help keep the organization a perennial Stanley Cup contender.

Pronger, introduced by the Flyers at their practice facility on Monday, wants to end his career in Philadelphia.

nothing over 6.5
laugh.gif

Really sad to see Quincey go because he was so vital to the team, but glad to add some scoring in Ryan Smyth on the team.

THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS HAVE SIGNED SWEDISH GOALTENDER JONAS GUSTAVSSON TO A 1 YEAR DEAL WORTH $810,000 WITH A $90,000 BONUS.

thoughts as to why it's only a one year deal? not sure if it was addressed earlier, but if it was, i missed that discussion.

Not 100% sure, but they had to sign him to an entry level deal first. I think he'll be an RFA next season.

Originally Posted by UsedToBeCool

Not 100% sure, but they had to sign him to an entry level deal first. I think he'll be an RFA next season.
ohhh that would make some sense then. thanks

Originally Posted by UsedToBeCool

Correct

Because Jonas is 24, his entry level contract is 1 year. If you're 21 and under it's a 3 year deal, 22 & 23 it's a 2 year deal.

In a way it's good for the Leafs that it's only a 1 year deal though, we get to see how he adapts to the NHL and see if he really is as good as peoplesay he is. Hopefully it works out and we sign him to an extension later on.
pimp.gif

I'm tight cause there was talks about him being interested and Dallas and they failed to sign him. The only problem Dallas has is the inconsistency ofMarty Turco who this season had like a GAA of 9

DENVER -- Joe Sakic, the Colorado Avalanche's longtime captain who led the team to two Stanley Cup titles, will retire Thursday and end his 20-year NHL career, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Tuesday.

The Associated Press first reported that Sakic, a 13-time All-Star, will formally announce his decision Thursday in a news conference.

Sakic, who turned 40 on Tuesday, has been the face of the franchise since the team relocated to Denver from Quebec in 1995. He teamed with Patrick Roy, Peter Forsberg and Adam Foote to capture the Stanley Cup in 1996 and 2001. He also led Team Canada to an Olympic gold medal in 2002.

Sakic was one of 46 players invited to Canada's pre-Olympic summer camp earlier this month. The camp will be held Aug. 24-28 in Calgary. He can play in the event if the Hockey Canada brain trust decides to name him to the team before the new year.

The 2010 Games will take place in Sakic's hometown of Vancouver, British Columbia.

"Obviously there are not too many people who get a chance to play in the Olympics in their hometown," Sakic told TSN at the end of the 2008-09 regular season. "That would be something special, but going into the summer you have to be realistic with yourself and health-wise and motivation-wise you have to be willing to do what it takes."

Sakic also debated returning following the 2007-08 season, a deliberation that went into August. Sakic announced he would return for the upcoming season, but was noncommittal about anything after that.

[h4]Elite Company[/h4]
Joe Sakic's place in history is set after a historic career. He is one of just seven players in NHL history with 600 goals and 1,000 assists.
[table][tr][th=""]
[/th] [th=""]Goals[/th] [th=""]Assists[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Wayne Gretzky[/td] [td]894[/td] [td]1,963[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gordie Howe[/td] [td]801[/td] [td]1,049[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Marcel Dionne[/td] [td]731[/td] [td]1,040[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mark Messier[/td] [td]694[/td] [td]1,193[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Steve Yzerman[/td] [td]692[/td] [td]1,063[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mario Lemieux[/td] [td]690[/td] [td]1,033[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Joe Sakic[/td] [td]625[/td] [td]1,016[/td] [/tr][/table]

Sakic retires following a season in which he missed all but 15 games due to back and hand injuries and surgery on a herniated disk that sidelined him the majority of the year.

At season's end, Sakic promised he would not wait as long to make a decision, but was still undecided.

"This is what you've done your whole life. Since I was 6 years old I've played hockey," Sakic said. "I think when you get to that point, you have to decide first and foremost if you can do it at the level you want to play at, and secondly if you're willing to do what it takes off the ice to get that accomplished."

Sakic will go out as a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He is second all-time among active players with 625 career goals and first in points and assists with 1,641 and 1,016, respectively.

Sakic won the Conn Smythe Trophy as Stanley Cup playoffs MVP in 1996, but perhaps his best season came in 2000-01. Sakic finished the year with a career-high 51 goals and won the Hart Memorial Trophy as league MVP, the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy for "gentlemanly conduct" and the Lester B. Pearson Award as the "most outstanding player selected by the NHL Players' Association."

Sad to see one of the greats hang em up but I'm glad he did before anything happened.

And $5 mil per for Pronger? They must have offered him Hatcher's job after he retires
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom