Official 2009 New York Jets Offseason Thread... Welcome to the Jets, Mark Sanchez!

Originally Posted by iChampion

Jets got Lito Sheppard via trade with the Eagles for a fifth round pick in 2009 and a conditional draft pick in 2010.
smokin.gif

http://www.rotoworld.com/...spx?sport=NFL&id=755
Too bad we couldn't get him a few years ago, but so
pimp.gif
nonetheless.

And we re-signed Moore?

We are making moves early on in the offseason yet AGAIN. %%%+ YES!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bkmac

Originally Posted by iChampion

Jets got Lito Sheppard via trade with the Eagles for a fifth round pick in 2009 and a conditional draft pick in 2010.
smokin.gif

http://www.rotoworld.com/...spx?sport=NFL&id=755
Too bad we couldn't get him a few years ago, but so
pimp.gif
nonetheless.

And we re-signed Moore?

We are making moves early on in the offseason yet AGAIN. %%%+ YES!
pimp.gif

Yep they re-signed Moore for less dough. Great job IMO

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

What's the word on Corey Ivy?
I know he's good on ST, but him as a CB?
Dude is reaaally under-sized. Hopefully he can be our next Ray Mickens.
Ravens fan here. we have moaned and groaned over Ivy's play for years.

Ivy is a solid special-teamer, but he is awful in the secondary. he is not fast at all, and he cannot cover anybody. if by mistake, he happens to beresponsible for another team's #1 receiver on a play, the result will either be pass interference, illegal contact, or a TD. he is a fairly solid tackler,though. but more often than not, if a 30-yard pass is thrown to Ivy's side, Ivy will let the receiver make the completion and then he will tackle him.

in Baltimore, we saw him on the field a little too much because of injuries to our CBs, and that exposed his play somewhat more. but i suppose he could be anaverage nickel if used properly. just don't expect him to be good. we would be glad for you guys to take him, so we can finally draft some quality depth atCB.

edit: and i've been wondering, what do you guys think of Vernon Gholston? i have followed his career since OSU, and i know he might be considered a bustbut i'm just wondering what the opinion is among Jets fans as to whether he will come along as a player?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

What's the word on Corey Ivy?
I know he's good on ST, but him as a CB?
Dude is reaaally under-sized. Hopefully he can be our next Ray Mickens.
Ravens fan here. we have moaned and groaned over Ivy's play for years.

Ivy is a solid special-teamer, but he is awful in the secondary. he is not fast at all, and he cannot cover anybody. if by mistake, he happens to be responsible for another team's #1 receiver on a play, the result will either be pass interference, illegal contact, or a TD. he is a fairly solid tackler, though. but more often than not, if a 30-yard pass is thrown to Ivy's side, Ivy will let the receiver make the completion and then he will tackle him.

in Baltimore, we saw him on the field a little too much because of injuries to our CBs, and that exposed his play somewhat more. but i suppose he could be an average nickel if used properly. just don't expect him to be good. we would be glad for you guys to take him, so we can finally draft some quality depth at CB.

edit: and i've been wondering, what do you guys think of Vernon Gholston? i have followed his career since OSU, and i know he might be considered a bust but i'm just wondering what the opinion is among Jets fans as to whether he will come along as a player?
I haven't given up on Gholston, last year Mangini/Sutton did a horrible job with him. Putting him in coverage when all along this guy is apass rusher, that's all he did in college so why change it? I think with the new scheme he'll flourish. If Rex Ryan can't get the best out of thiskid, then I think he's hopeless. I'm not saying he'll be dominate but @ least show some production.

I say in the draft this should be our top 3 players we are looking at in this order

1. Sanchez
2. Heyward-Bey
3. Harvin

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

I say in the draft this should be our top 3 players we are looking at in this order

1. Sanchez
2. Heyward-Bey
3. Harvin
1. DHB
2. Maclin
3. Sanchez*

Fact of the matter is we have 3 young QB's on the roster and we have very little idea of what they're capable of with our current personnel.

I say we throw them to the wolves and see if they're worth their salt. If both crap out, draft McCoy in 2010.

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

1. Sanchez
2. Heyward-Bey
3. Harvin
I'm actually down with Sanchez. Even though the biggest question is his experience in the collegiate level, where he only played a handful ofgames and threw for only under 500 passes. I think he has the makings of being a solid QB in the pro's. Dude is mobile in the play action and can movearound the pocket. Very good arm for the long pass and accurate in the short passing game. Of course, if we were to draft him, we would have to sit him out andtutor the kid instead of throwing him out their to the wolves.

My list would go like this after the free agency period...

1. Maclin, if he were to drop (which I highly doubt)
2. Sanchez
3. Hakeem Nicks
4. Tyson Jackson

Hakeem Nicks is a solid receiver. Very solid in terms of route running and has VERY good hands. Lots of criticism on his top end speed, but he plays fasterthan he really is. From what I've seen though, he's very under-rated after the catch. He's strong and smooth, that he finds way to keep pushing formore yards. Dude has the makings of being a solid WR (reminds me of Anquan Boldin).

Heyward-Bey seems like a good pick because of his 40, but I see the dude being a bust. Yes he's fast but he ain't that strong and I've seen himdrop key passes. I don't think he's as consistent as Nicks.

Nicks is just another Cotchery. It's not a bad thing but I would rather go for someone who can be a game breaker and someone who can stretch the field.I'd rather go for Tyson Jackson if Dirty is gone then go for a WR in the 2nd, one of them is bound to drop. Kenny Britt would be a great pick if happens tobe there for us in the 2nd.

With the Seahawks getting Housh, I think Crabtree falls to the Raiders, which means the there is a better chance of Maclin falls to us. And if the 49ers signWarner, there is a decent chances Sanchez could fall to us as well. The guy I really want though is DHB, dude has game breaking speed and athleticism. I seeHarvin as another all-around skill kind of like Leon so I don't think we need him. Nicks is just like Cotch as someone said and doesn't have any speed.

If we don't go WR, are other need is d-line but I don't really see anyone being around that is worth a pick at that point. I would then just honestlytake the best value on the board. One position I would strongly consider is RB. I think Jones is done as a jet after this season, and we need someone who canteam with Leon so I would consider taken Moreno if he available. Or if one of the offensive tackles fell to us.

I can see the Cotchery where he's more of a possession receiver, but Hakeem is so clean when it comes to routes and actually is more agile than Cotch. Ican see why you want to target a bigger body across from Cotch, but Hakeem's talent can definitely spread our offense.

I can see the Cotchery where he's more of a possession receiver, but Hakeem is so clean when it comes to routes and actually is more agile than Cotch. I can see why you want to target a bigger body across from Cotch, but Hakeem's talent can definitely spread our offense.
I mean, I wouldn't be mad at having Hakeem at all. I just don't wanna use the 17th pick on him when I have a pretty good gut feeling a WRthat would make just a big an impact is there in the 2nd.

If we don't go WR, are other need is d-line but I don't really see anyone being around that is worth a pick at that point. I would then just honestly take the best value on the board. One position I would strongly consider is RB. I think Jones is done as a jet after this season, and we need someone who can team with Leon so I would consider taken Moreno if he available. Or if one of the offensive tackles fell to us.

Even if NoShow isn't there, I really like the 2nd tier of RBs in this class (Donald Brown, Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings, Shonn Greene, etc.).

In all honesty, at the moment, I think I'm fine with Clemens/Ratliff as our QB.

It's been said that Rex Ryan wants to establish the run a great deal, so let's do just that. Establish the run. Have a QB who is able to manage thegame, so it's not necessary to draft one in the 1st round, or make a lavish trade for that matter.

Manageable QB + efficient run game with T. Jones and Leon Washington + our potentially GREAT defense = Successful Jets team next season
pimp.gif

USC running back McKnight will miss spring drills
By Scott Wolf, Staff Writer
Updated: 03/05/2009 10:57:02 PM PST

USC tailback Joe McKnight said he will not participate in spring practice because he is still recovering from the Rose Bowl, when he dislocated four toes on his left foot on the same play during the Trojans' victory over Penn State.

"I'm not going to do spring," McKnight said. "They don't want me to."

McKnight is still applying pressure gingerly on his toes. He is doing some weight training and other drills that will not cause too much stress on the foot.

Tailback Allen Bradford, who underwent hip surgery in the fall, also said he will not participate in spring practice because he will not be cleared for contact.

Bradford said he would start running full speed the third week of March and should be 100 percent by June. He expects to be cleared for contact for training camp in August.

Also ...

Wide receiver Orson Charles of Tampa, Fla., is expected to announced his college decision today. Charles lists Georgia, Tennessee and USC as his final choices. ... Quarterback Mark Sanchez is expected to perform private workouts for the New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts before participating in USC's Pro Day on April 1. ... Linebacker Rey Maualuga signed with agent Gary Uberstine, who represents Trojans coach Pete Carroll.

A sign maybe? I wouldn't mind the Jets drafting Sanchez

http://www.hotstovenewyork.com/2009/03/09/jets-look-into-torry-holt/

Apparently, Mike Francesa (WFAN) opened up his show today saying "The Jets were on the verge of signing Torry Holt".

That would be an interesting move, to say the least.

A year older than Coles, and same age as T.O. Difference is, he isn't a headcase like either of them (if I'm not mistaken).
Supposedly the Jets have 0 interest in Holt link below, also Just say NO to Sanchez. I think Jets will go either WR or defense.

http://www.rotoworld.com/...spx?sport=NFL&id=412

Originally Posted by rillo561

http://www.hotstovenewyork.com/2009/03/09/jets-look-into-torry-holt/

Apparently, Mike Francesa (WFAN) opened up his show today saying "The Jets were on the verge of signing Torry Holt".

That would be an interesting move, to say the least.

A year older than Coles, and same age as T.O. Difference is, he isn't a headcase like either of them (if I'm not mistaken).
Supposedly the Jets have 0 interest in Holt link below, also Just say NO to Sanchez. I think Jets will go either WR or defense.

http://www.rotoworld.com/...spx?sport=NFL&id=412
frown.gif
Damn.

Holt was with Ellard for 7 years as WR coach... not to mention Holt & Cotchery are both from NC State...

but the WR corps as a whole would be kinda fat with bodies if we did sign him.

-Holt
-Cotchery
-Henry
-Stuckey
-Smith
-Wright
- Whomever we draft
nerd.gif

On another note, Mangini made an offer to RFA Saftey Abram Elam for $1.5M. We can match the offer and retain him, orjust let him go.

I don't really see Rex keeping Elam for $1.5M considering he has no ties to him and Eric Smith is a decent back up to Leonhard.

And more importantly...

Spoiler [+]
[h2]Cutler-McDaniels Finally Speak, Issues Remain[/h2]DENVER (CBS4) ―
jay_cutler_84032673.jpg
Click to enlarge Jay Cutler

[h3]Related Stories[/h3]
[h3]Related Links[/h3] CBS4 Sports has learned Jay Cutler and the Broncos have finally spoken. It was not face-to-face, but rather by conference call on Monday with Cutler, head coach Josh McDaniels and owner Pat Bowlen among those on the line.

The much awaited discussion was prompted after the now well-publicized events on the first weekend of free agency. The Broncos explored a possible trade that would have sent Cutler out of town for former Patriots backup Matt Cassel. The trade never happened and Cassel eventually ended up in Kansas City. The Broncos denied they initiated any trade talks, but Cutler was certain the team tried to move him.

Sources close to the situation tell CBS4 Sports that the tone of the dicussion was not exactly "make nice" as might have been expected. We're told McDaniels made it clear to the quarterback how the team will be run, and how Cutler was expected to fit into that plan. McDaniels reiterated the Broncos position that they have no intention of trading Cutler, but he also made it clear that all players are being constantly evaluated and could be traded if management thinks it will make the team better.

CBS4 Sports contacted the Broncos for a comment about Monday's discussions, but so far they have not responded.

The Broncos expect Cutler to report to Dove Valley next Monday, when the Broncos begin voluntary offseason workouts.

CBS4 Sports has also learned that Bowlen attempted to contact Cutler twice last week. Both calls went unreturned.

nerd.gif

T. Jones No-Shows; Elam Offer Matched
RB Thomas Jones skipped the offseason conditioning program for the second straight day, fueling speculation that he's unhappy with his contract.

The Daily News reported last month at the scouting combine that Jones, who has two years left on a four-year, $20 million deal, wanted to renegotiate. His base salary for the coming season is $900,000. Jones won the AFC rushing title last season and he evidently wants a raise.

A club spokesman declined to comment on Jones' absence. Jones' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, didn't return a phone call.

The offseason program is voluntary, but Jones' no-show is surprising because he's regarded as one of the hardest workers on the team.

The Jets matched the one-year, $1.5 million offer sheet to backup S Abram Elam, who signed the offer seven days ago with the Browns.

That's a lot of money for a backup, but the Jets didn't want to lose yet another player to Eric Mangini.

http://www.nydailynews.co...ng-again-at-jets-ca.html

I'm not mad at Jones one bit.

As far as the draft goes, this may actually help us if he's a long-term holdout.

if we can somehow get cutler and holt, i'll be happier than a pedophile in preschool ..........

Thomqas can be gone to me. I'd be fine taking Beanie or Moreno in the 1st. Running backs start going downhill when they hit 30, and Leon is a free agentcoming up soon. Those guys could easily fill his shoes and fill a nice tandem with Leon.

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Thomqas can be gone to me. I'd be fine taking Beanie or Moreno in the 1st. Running backs start going downhill when they hit 30, and Leon is a free agent coming up soon. Those guys could easily fill his shoes and fill a nice tandem with Leon.
Chill, we don't need a RB in the 1st round.

T. Jones is fine with me. You saw what he did with an O-Line all season long. I want him back, and hopefully this issue is not because of his contract.

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Thomqas can be gone to me. I'd be fine taking Beanie or Moreno in the 1st. Running backs start going downhill when they hit 30, and Leon is a free agent coming up soon. Those guys could easily fill his shoes and fill a nice tandem with Leon.
Chill, we don't need a RB in the 1st round.

T. Jones is fine with me. You saw what he did with an O-Line all season long. I want him back, and hopefully this issue is not because of his contract.

For some reason I still don't trust him. I could easily see him falling back to his numbers of the prvious year.

I just think we should pick the best player available in this draft instead of focusing on need.

Back
Top Bottom