Official 2009 New York Jets Offseason Thread... Welcome to the Jets, Mark Sanchez!

I don't know much about Shonn, but he is capable of replacing Thomas Jones? T. Jones is unhappy with his contract, so who knows if he is going to come backor not.

Originally Posted by bkmac

I don't know much about Shonn, but he is capable of replacing Thomas Jones? T. Jones is unhappy with his contract, so who knows if he is going to come back or not.
Replacing Jones in the long term?... No.

He'll be a good 2-3 year stop gap bruiser; Greene is strictly a between-the-tackles tank that runs like Michael Turner with less flexibility.

Here's our UDFA list:

Jets
DE Jamaal Westerman (Rutgers)
TE Andrew Davie (Arkansas)
DL Matt Kroul (Iowa)
P T.J. Conley (Idaho)
S Emanuel Cook (South Carolina)
TE Robert Myers (Utah State)
FB Brannan Southerland (Georgia)
QB Chris Pizzoti (Harvard)
OT Tavita Thompson (Oregon St)
WR Britt Davis (Northern Illinois)
OL Ryan McKee (Southern Mississippi)
DE Zach Potter (Nebraska)
OT Kyle Link (McNeese St)
TE J'Nathan Bullock (Cleveland State - Basketball)

J'Nathan Bullock, son.
pimp.gif

I hope ya'll Jets fans become pateitn with Sanchez, these kinds of things take time.

I def say throw him to the wolves... he's got TJ and LW in the backfield..
he's got a nice target like Keller underneath.

they'll limit his throws...but he needs to be put to the fire right away if he's being touted as the franchise QB.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I def say throw him to the wolves... he's got TJ and LW in the backfield..
he's got a nice target like Keller underneath.

they'll limit his throws...but he needs to be put to the fire right away if he's being touted as the franchise QB.
I'd say so. Who is going to learn from? A seasoned-vet like Kellen?
I mean, if he wins the QB competition in training camp, he's got the job.
I just think we need to offer him a playmaking WR opposite of Cotch, because Cotch is a possession receiver that's #2 at most.
We'll see after the June 1 cuts? And Tannenbaum likes making late trades as well... see 1st Ty Law signing, trade for Favre.

are the jets really going after plax ? i hope not it'll be too much of a circus.

and yeah sanchez should start right away ..........

I wouldn't throw him to the fire right away at least. Dude ws only a junior and has one year of college experience. That is setting him up for failure + itnot like the JEts have some great receivers to make it easy on him.

I'm glade we got Shawn and I'm excited to see if J'Nathan can actually make the squad.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I wouldn't throw him to the fire right away at least. Dude ws only a junior and has one year of college experience. That is setting him up for failure + it not like the JEts have some great receivers to make it easy on him.

I'm glade we got Shawn and I'm excited to see if J'Nathan can actually make the squad.
Totally agree, we as fans have to be patient with Sanchez and lower our expectations.

Is there a comprehensive Jets blog that talks about how camp is going and what have you?

Or you guys can just update this thread and let me know how J'Nate is doing.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Is there a comprehensive Jets blog that talks about how camp is going and what have you?

Or you guys can just update this thread and let me know how J'Nate is doing.
pimp.gif

I'm hoping dude makes the squad somehow. We have Dustin and Dearth, a career backup signed currently at Te and we will carry 3 so he has a legit shot tomake it. His blocking ability will be key though.

-I don't want Plax, period. HIGHLY, highly doubtful (unless a miracle happens
nerd.gif
)that Plax is around long term.

-He's gonna need to find chemistry with Keller early in camp on to have some decent success this season.

-I don't care what team we face or what week it is, if we run the ball less than 25 times per game, we fail.

I'm not expecting Sanchez to right this ship in his first year, but I do expect to see, if nothing else, good decision making.

Physically, he's there; he's as NFL ready as he's gonna get in that. Mentally... well, that's a whole 'nother beast.

The second half of our season is down right terrible:

11/15 - vs. Jacksonville
11/22 - at New England
11/29 - vs. Carolina
12/3 - at Buffalo (Toronto)
12/13 - at Tampa Bay
12/20 - vs. Atlanta
12/27 - at Indianapolis
1/3 - vs. Cincinnati

My other concern is will he acclimate to the cold weather of November and December?

We can't have him throwing in the snow 30 times a la Favre vs Seattle last season.
sick.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

-I don't want Plax, period. HIGHLY, highly doubtful (unless a miracle happens
nerd.gif
) that Plax is around long term.

-He's gonna need to find chemistry with Keller early in camp on to have some decent success this season.

-I don't care what team we face or what week it is, if we run the ball less than 25 times per game, we fail.

I'm not expecting Sanchez to right this ship in his first year, but I do expect to see, if nothing else, good decision making.

Physically, he's there; he's as NFL ready as he's gonna get in that. Mentally... well, that's a whole 'nother beast.

The second half of our season is down right terrible:

11/15 - vs. Jacksonville
11/22 - at New England
11/29 - vs. Carolina
12/3 - at Buffalo (Toronto)
12/13 - at Tampa Bay
12/20 - vs. Atlanta
12/27 - at Indianapolis
1/3 - vs. Cincinnati

My other concern is will he acclimate to the cold weather of November and December?

We can't have him throwing in the snow 30 times a la Favre vs Seattle last season.
sick.gif
smh.gif
This team will be a running (ball control) and defense. No way does Rex Ryan and Schott Jr. put the games on Sanchez arm. Last year was such acruel joke....

[table][tr][td] [h1]Welcome to the NFL, Rook![/h1] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
May 21st, 2009
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
clear.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
sanchez_ota.jpg

Rookie QB Mark Sanchez had a day he'd like to soon forget at full team OTA's today. (JetsInsider.com Photo)
[/td] [/tr][/table]QB Mark Sanchez completed his first week of full team OTA's this afternoon and in the lockerroom he was asked what he thought about his day. "It was a good day….for the defense," said Sanchez.
Sanchez finished a day where he clearly looked like he was in over his head as he's learning the offense and going against a very tough Rex Ryan veteran defense.

Welcome to the NFL, Rook!

During both 7 on 7 and full team drills Sanchez was off the mark for most of the day completing just 2 of 6 passes with 2 INT's, the first to S Erik Smith and another off a deflected J'Nathan Bullock pass into the hands of CB Lito Sheppard. During the 11 on 11 drill where the team was in a 2 minute scenario he didn't fare much better going 1 for 7 and only moving the team 10 yards.

Veteran Kellen Clemens was a little better but not much as he went 3 for 7 in 7 on 7's with a pass nearly intercepted by Darrelle Revis. Later though he threw a pretty TD to the corner of the end zone to WR Brad Smith. During the 11 on 11 two minute scenario he drove the team to the 18 thanks to a beautiful Chansi Stuckey grab downfield. The drive eventually ended with a Jay Feely field goal from the 18.

Besides being erratic passing, Sanchez got an earful from both coaches and players as he was scolded by OC Brian Shottenheimer on several occasions for bad decisions including a dump off pass when a wide open Wallace Wright was downfield waiting for a TD.

"God Damn It Mark, you have to make that throw," yelled Shotty at the rookie. He was also chastised by both LB Bart Scott and DB James Ihedigbo for bad throws and holding the ball too long in the pocket.

Sanchez feels the ribbing and the learning against a potential elite NFL defense is a blessing.

"The defense is the best around and Coach Schotty reminds me of that every day," said Sanchez. "This kind of training, especially as a rookie, is so important because they are moving all over the place. They have Bart Scott playing in the middle. You don't even know where that guy is going to end up. That's the best and you learn on the run here. It's been great.

Coach Rex Ryan was overall happy with the week of practice and although Sanchez had a tough week, he's happy with his progress and the pace he's picking things up. The team has one more week of OTA's and then follows with a mandatory full team minicamp starting June 9.

INSIDER TIDBITS:

MIA: Still not reporting are RB's Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. Jones according to his agent Drew Rosenhaus join the team next week. No word on Washington yet but there reportedly is constructive dialogue between the team and his agent. S Kerry Rhodes was out was excused today for "personal reasons" and rookie third round pick Shonn Green was sidelined with a hamstring tweak. Recently re-signed TE Bubba Franks isn't expected to be back in action until training camp according to Ryan.

GQ QB: Besides taking flack from having a tough week at the office, Sanchez got a lot of ribbing from both coaches and teammates about his GQ photo shoot that came out this week.

"I sure lobbed one up for them to hit it right out of the park (laughing), " said Sanchez about the photo shoot. "They had some good pictures up in the locker room. It was funny. They called me David Hasselhoff and all that, so it was good."

The photo shoot according to Sanchez took place a few months before the draft so it has not impeded any of his football activities.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
00003f.jpg
00007f.jpg

*Oh, and Sanchez is smashing the model too.
pimp.gif

For you Twitter addicts, follow:

http://twitter.com/janesports

http://twitter.com/nyjets

Originally Posted by Al3xis

He will be a bust of historic proportions.
Really?
ohwell.gif

Homeboy been putting in some work on and off the field according to the reports I've read.

Granted, he may not be lighting it up in OTA's, but neither is Kellen. I just think the D is too far ahead of the offense at this point

BTW - Guess who's back...
nerd.gif

Spoiler [+]
Leon-Washington_13.jpg

pimp.gif

Sanchez is Signed, Sealed, Delivered....

[h2]Jets reach agreement with QB Sanchez[/h2]The Jets and Sanchez agreed to a five-year deal worth $50 million, with $28 million in guarantees, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. The deal could be worth as much as $60 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4249402

Richest contract in Jets history...

Lets just hope Leon's contract talks can be handled before Mini-camp starts...
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom