OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Word
frown.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Dodgers last 15 games: 6-9

Dodgers since ASG: 11-11

sick.gif
From Dodger Thoughts, sums it up nicely:

I've been accused this season of knee-jerk apologies and homerism this season in my responses to criticisms of the Dodgers. As I've said before, my take on the Dodgers arises from a big-picture mentality. I'm not at all without my concerns about the team or its management, but this is still the best Dodger team at this point of the season in over 30 years
smokin.gif
. That colors my responses.

Conversely, there's the issue of knee-jerk panic. Sometimes I read people's reactions to what happens at Dodger games and wonder if this is the first year some people have ever watched baseball (so true,
smh.gif
laugh.gif
). Clayton Kershaw has one bad game in two months, and people start questioning his makeup again (BN and his constant gripes with the bullpen). Manny Ramirez has a slump, and people fear the worst: His body is failing him.

Yes, the worst is possible. But there just seems to be insufficient recognition of the most common reality of baseball. Hitters who bat .300 in a season don't bat .300 every week of that season. Pitchers who have a 3.00 ERA in a season don't have a 3.00 ERA every game.

A default response that causes people immediately to assume imminent tragedy -- that's essentially the definition of panic. I understand why it comes, but it still surprises me that the most likely explanation is often the most ignored one.

Players slump. Luck changes.

I'll throw a bone to the doomsayers. I truly would like to see the Dodgers pulling away in the National League West rather seeing their lead stay in single-digits. The longer the Rockies and Giants stay in the race, the more viable their ability to spoil the Dodger season becomes.

But then you step back and realize that for all the impressive win totals Colorado and San Francisco have been putting up, they haven't been able to gain any significant ground. And then you look more closely at those teams, and realize that they have their own sets of problems they're still dealing with.

And I'm back to thinking it's hard not to feel optimistic about the Los Angeles Dodgers, and back to feeling that it doesn't make sense to assume the worst about players on the team who have great overall performances in 2009.

I might have mentioned it here, not sure, but amongst my friends I've always talked about the expected slump. We have been consistently good all year, and I've been waiting for a prolonged slump with a 5-6 game losing streak. Almost every team in MLB has had one except us (4 in a row).

We are a .500 team since the All Star Break, and last night we fell one game behind the Yankees for the best record in baseball. When you think about it, really doesn't matter since there is no incentive to having the best record in baseball if you are in the NL. I guess for bragging rights only.

Despite the Phillies being red hot (they have cooled down), and the Rockies and Giants winning consistently. We still have a considerable lead in our division and in the NL. The Giants won 10 out 14 (not counting last night) and they are still behind by more than 5 games.

Broxton doesn't blow that lead last night, we don't talk about this. Sadly, he blew another one, 24 out of 28, not bad. Calling for Sherrill to replace him,
laugh.gif

Stop biting your nails and enjoy the season.

Good to see Abreu out there
smokin.gif

It's crazy looking at the Trade Deadline thread and seeing where Steve Johnson and Josh Bell are ranked,
eek.gif
. It just makes you think how bad the Blue Jays botched the Roy Halladay trade negotiations.

The Phillies swooped in and got Cliff Lee, good for them. Everyone making them the favorites, will only help us in the long run. No respect,
laugh.gif
. Though are starting rotation doesn't match up with the Phillies, their back of their bullpen is not as solid as ours, and is not as solid as their World Series Championship team of 2008. Brad Lidge has once again become....Brad Lidge.

I know we're expecting a slump Ironman, but still, this is beyond frustrating while at the same time it isnt.

Again, I never bought into the hype that this team is at the top of the league, I just dont buy into it. Maybe its as I stated in the beginning that it may bein large part to only witnessing this team never live up to expectations in my 21 years of existence, maybe its because I am just a half empty kind of guy, butwhatever it is, it still makes me nervous and cringe.

I'm not gonna shave or cut my hair til their season is over. Last time I cut it was July 2nd.

Lets go Dodgers
smh.gif

[h1]Dodgers Move In The Works?[/h1]
By Mike Axisa [August 8 at 10:24pm CST]

The Dodgers - who made valiant attempts to acquire Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and seemingly every other available pitcher before the deadline - are in a bit of a pitching bind right now because of injuries to Jason Schmidt and Chad Billingsley. Manager Joe Torre had some interesting comments prior to tonight's game against the Braves when asked about who the team's starter would be tomorrow, courtesy of MLB.com's David Ely:

"Right now, we're in the discussion area on that one," Torre said. "We're not at liberty to talk about it at this point. You'll know later on."

"Could be somebody from the outside," Torre said, "we haven't decided on that."

League rules prohibit teams from talking about specific players on waivers, and Ely speculates that they "could be in the process of making a trade for a pitcher off waivers." Depending on how tonight's game plays out, the Dodgers could opt to start longman Jeff Weaver if no deal is made.

Whas happenin' here
nerd.gif

Escobar Braves Win
pimp.gif

Damn you guys are so tough to beat pitching and offense is deep for the Dodgers and Andre Ethier has been killing us.

Joe speaking the truth.

Dodgers record may not show it, but the boys have been horrible with RISP - and with a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs. Torre said the whole team is tryingto do too much.

Eric Stults is pitching tomorrow.

Stults
smokin.gif

Just getting home from finishing up the Godfather at the GFs house. I'm dog tired, long day.

Terrible loss, terrible play to begin with.

If we aren't going to make a move and if Torre has no confidence in shaggy then let Elbert finally get his first start and why not give Lindblom a shot.

We need arms, get them or bring them up.

There's no other way.

Back
Top Bottom