OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Do it Ned.
laugh.gif

The 2013 Dodgers are going to be awful.

Willing to sacrifice if it means getting some shiny hardware back to Los Angeles.

Not that I would want to wipe out the entire farm system though.
embarassed.gif

It's time homie.

Exactly nobody wants to wipe out the farm system but also you can't pass up an opportunity to win 1 or 2 titles with this team

Dodgers acquire Sherrill for two prospects
GM Colletti could look for another reliever, not Halladay

* fan comments (443)
* print this page
* e-mail this page
* post on facebook

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

07/30/09 8:40 PM ET

ST. LOUIS -- After landing Baltimore closer George Sherrill for a pair of prospects Thursday, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti sounded prepared to move on without Toronto's Roy Halladay a day away from the Trade Deadline.

Colletti confirmed he "exchanged communications" with the Toronto Blue Jays earlier in the day but said his focus now is to get yet another reliever, mainly because the pickings of available starters that can make a difference is so slim.

Perhaps Colletti is posturing for one last run at Halladay. Or maybe he's just decided not to fight the fact he has a rotation of starters that don't pitch deep into games, so he'll give manager Joe Torre enough relievers to make up those innings.

"The [starting pitching] market is down to a precious few, so we're looking hard at two or three relievers," he said. "We'll see if something comes to fruition in the next day."

Colletti -- who said the Dodgers had earmarked seven or eight pitchers in recent weeks -- was asked to rate his chances of acquiring a starter in the next 24 hours and, out of character, did.

"As of right here, right now, very slim between now and tomorrow," he said. "After that, there will be others available."

Colletti sounded relieved knowing that he had at least one new reliever in the fold. Sherrill, an All-Star in 2008, had been a primary target all along. Colletti said a painful toe nerve that closer Jonathan Broxton has been dealing with in recent weeks also was a factor in the acquisition.

Torre spoke with Sherrill by phone and told him he'll be pitching in the eighth and ninth innings, leaving open the possibility of closing.

"I mentioned Broxton is our closer, he said that's not important to me, and I'm not surprised," said Torre. "He'll pitch in the eighth and ninth. He gives experienced backup to our situation. He's going to help us."

In addition to Broxton, the Dodgers' bullpen consists of setup man Ramon Troncoso; Hong-Chih Kuo (recently returned from three months on the disabled list); veterans Guillermo Mota, Claudio Vargas and Jeff Weaver; and rookies James McDonald and Scott Elbert (called up Thursday when Brent Leach was optioned to Triple-A).

Also, Cory Wade is on a rehab assignment and Ronald Belisario, a key to the club's first-half success, is expected to begin a rehab assignment next week.

But one day after another bullpen loss, the Dodgers need help now. Colletti said Sherrill has the experience of pressure pitching in the competitive American League East. He'll join the club in Atlanta on Friday, with a corresponding roster move.

"You know you're getting somebody a cut above," Colletti said.

"It teaches you to be on your game night in and night out," Sherrill said of pitching in that division. "The whole AL East has tough hitters, top team to bottom team."

Colletti said Sherrill has the personality that will fit well in the Dodgers' clubhouse, something that has become something of a prerequisite for recent Colletti acquisitions.

Sherrill expressed mixed emotions with the trade, regretting he won't be able to watch the results of the Orioles' rebuilding, while "excited" to join a first-place team and content to go from closer to setup if it means winning.

"It doesn't matter what my role is," he said. "I've never been part of a winner. Now I got to a team with the best record in the league. As long as we're winning, it doesn't matter to me. I know Broxton is a good closer. I'll take the ball every day."

In return, the Orioles received slugging third baseman Josh Bell and pitcher Steve Johnson.

Sherrill, 32, had a 2.40 ERA and 20 saves in 42 games with the Orioles this year.

In his fourth full Major League season, Sherrill earns $2.75 million and is eligible for salary arbitration next year.

Bell, 22, was hitting .296 with 11 homers and 52 RBIs for Double-A Chattanooga. He was a fourth-round Draft pick in 2005. Johnson, 22, was 8-4 with a 3.82 ERA at Class A Inland Empire. He was a 13th-round pick in 2005.

Colletti said he could afford to part with Bell because Casey Blake is signed for another two seasons, Blake DeWitt is a phone call away and Pedro Baez is impressive at Class A. They always draft heavy on pitching.

"To pick up an All-Star closer in the position we're in, we're not in a position to trade a no-name with no chance to get out of A-ball," he said. "Baltimore got quality back today. The depth of our organization at these positions helped us cross the bridge on both players."

The acquisition of Sherrill follows a Colletti pattern of making deadline trades without dealing away significant pieces of the current Major League club.

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Kemp = Most consistent Dodger this year
smokin.gif

How so?

Matt Kemp will be 28
James Loney will be 29
Russell Martin will be 30
Andre Ethier will be 31
Chad Billingsley will be 28
Jonathan Broxton will be 29
Cory Wade will be 30
Ramon Troncoso will be 29
Ronald Belisario will be 30

Catch my drift, we are only trading away prospects that are blocked at the major league level.

Prospects traded since last season:

Andy LaRoche (Manny Ramirez deal) - 3rd baseman, didn't take advantage of an opportunity, always injured and got bypassed by Blake DeWitt.
Delwyn Young (Out of Options) - No position, terrible defense, solid bat. He is now the Pirates second baseman (
laugh.gif
).
Carlos Santana (Casey Blake deal) - Developed late, breakout season last year, will be ready in 2010-11. Lucas May is the apparent heir to Russ, but Russ iswill only be 30 in 2013.
Josh Bell (George Sherrill deal) - Like Santana, is having a solid season at the plate, but is blocked at the Major League level by Casey Blake (contract runsthrough 2011) and James Loney.

Even if we unload five premium prospects for Halladay, we have a lot of young talent on the Major League roster to take a hit like that. Plus, Logan Whitewill restock the farm system in 2-3 years.

Seriously who would even question Matt Holliday going to STL?

This dude is a damn stud.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Kemp = Most consistent Dodger this year
smokin.gif

How so?

Matt Kemp will be 28
James Loney will be 29
Russell Martin will be 30
Andre Ethier will be 31
Chad Billingsley will be 28
Jonathan Broxton will be 29
Cory Wade will be 30
Ramon Troncoso will be 29
Ronald Belisario will be 30

Catch my drift, we are only trading away prospects that are blocked at the major league level.

Prospects traded since last season:

Andy LaRoche (Manny Ramirez deal) - 3rd baseman, didn't take advantage of an opportunity, always injured and got bypassed by Blake DeWitt.
Delwyn Young (Out of Options) - No position, terrible defense, solid bat. He is now the Pirates second baseman (
laugh.gif
).
Carlos Santana (Casey Blake deal) - Developed late, breakout season last year, will be ready in 2010-11. Lucas May is the apparent heir to Russ, but Russ is will only be 30 in 2013.
Josh Bell (George Sherrill deal) - Like Santana, is having a solid season at the plate, but is blocked at the Major League level by Casey Blake (contract runs through 2011) and James Loney.

Even if we unload five premium prospects for Halladay, we have a lot of young talent on the Major League roster to take a hit like that. Plus, Logan White will restock the farm system in 2-3 years.

At some point you have to pay all those players though. They won't be making pocket change like they are now 4 years from now.

IMO, that's why the farm system is so important...cheap labor. That's why the Dodgers can afford to have bad contracts like Schmidt, Andruw Jones,Pierre, etc.

At some point you have to pay all those players though. They won't be making pocket change like they are now 4 years from now.

IMO, that's why the farm system is so important...cheap labor. That's why the Dodgers can afford to have bad contracts like Schmidt, Andruw Jones, Pierre, etc.
That's right, but the Dodgers intend to keep this core for a long time.

Schmidt's contract expires after this season, Andruw Jones newly restructured contract expires in 2014, Juan Pierre's contract expires in 2011, alongwith Casey Blake's and Rafael Furcal's.

The one thing I praise this front office for doing is not handing out heavy long term contracts.

You also need to put into perspective how well L.W restocks the farm, I'm certain we'll be ok.

Again, can't score with RISP
indifferent.gif

Again, can't score with RISP
indifferent.gif

smh.gif

Loney, 6 straight at bats- 6 straight hits. Runners on first and second, two outs, 3-2 count, ground out to 3rd base. It isn't even frustrating anymore,it's comical. That type of road trip.

I hope we win tonight, with Schmidt starting tomorrow, you can pencil in a L for tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Torre pulled out kuroda too early
Torre was playing for the run the way this offense has been playing. The move paid off, it was a gamble, but it paid off
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Torre pulled out kuroda too early
Some days Managers look like fools, the next they're geniuses.
laugh.gif

Big @!%@%%% props to Bradley Ausmus constantly on the bench waiting for his turn and watching ol' +#%%!-whipped Russ swing & miss on a daily basis, butalways prepared when called upon.

eek.gif
roll.gif
@ the Dodger fan tryna ruin that play.

GO SIT THE %*%+ DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

got me yelling in the house
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom