OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD: (95-57) NL West Champs --- NLCS Chumps

i wanted to do the club thing but its pretty pricey. i know people that could probably get me and my gf in, but an extra 4 people
grin.gif

i looked up prices on vegas.com and
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

i wanted to do the club thing but its pretty pricey. i know people that could probably get me and my gf in, but an extra 4 people
grin.gif

i looked up prices on vegas.com and
eek.gif

Then you are better off than I was that day, prices are R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S at the clubs that day.

Personally, going to Vegas on a non-holiday instead
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But you will have fun nonetheless.

So back to the Dodgers for a bit, no moves at all?

The Giants are only getting better, and are going to be favorites to win the Division. Solid pickup for them getting DeRosa.

I guess that's why they got Carroll, he was on clearance.
laugh.gif

Ain't no words can sum up with my frustrations of how the Dodgers have handled this off-season.

Anyways, Sin you've never been to Vegas period or just on NYE? My dude
smh.gif

It's definitely something someone should experience once or twice (at most) in their lifetime.

Still debating on what to do, glad 2009 is over and it's almost my 10 year high school reunion
eek.gif
sick.gif

Ol' geezer.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Still debating on what to do, glad 2009 is over and it's almost my 10 year high school reunion
eek.gif
sick.gif

Ol' geezer.

2010 will be 5 SHORT years since I donned the HS cap and gown. @++! is scary, time flies
eek.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

laugh.gif
that was supposed to be in another thread

Here's my positive outlook for the season.

Martin bounces back. I'm sure he'll do better than last year, but if he can have a real big comeback season that would be HUGE.
Loney learns how to hit at DS. If he does, we're looking at 25+ HR.
DeWitt will be adequate. Decent defense, 10 HR, and an OBP over .350 is all we really need. I think he'll be able to get that done.
Furcal. He can't possibly be as bad as he was most of last season.
Blake isn't getting old and is due to regress a little, but I expect him to be decent if he's healthy.
Ethier is most likely only getting better. I'd look for him to combine more patience with his power and become a legit 3 spot hitter.
Kemp just needs to keep progressing. He's gonna have a beast season.
Manny. Contract year.

The bullpen will be very strong again, which is going to help us in the division.

Bills and Kershaw will step up.
Kuroda will stay healthy.
Elbert and JMac will both be effective out of the pen and as starters.

All we need to do in my opinion is find a new owner and a new GM. When we do that, we're gonna have a dynasty
pimp.gif

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/discussion-los-angeles-dodgers.html[/h1]
[h1]Discussion: Los Angeles Dodgers[/h1]
By Mark Polishuk [December 30, 2009 at 8:07pm CST]

Ever since the news of Frank and Jamie McCourt's divorce proceedings broke last October, Dodgers fans have been wondering (and dreading) if the ownership dispute would impact the team's operations. The first two months of the offseason have been quiet enough in L.A. to make it look like the Dodgers are themselves also still waiting to see how things will play out with the McCourts and have thus been in a holding pattern in regards to next season's payroll.

This isn't to say that Los Angeles hasn't been active. The Dodgers traded Juan Pierre to the White Sox, were involved in the Roy Halladay sweepstakes, tried to acquire Aaron Harang from Cincinnati and signed utilityman Jamey Carroll. But, as Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports pointed out today, the club is playing even-steven with its offseason moves in order to steady the budget. For instance, the Dodgers saved $8MM over the next two seasons by dealing Pierre, and spent $3.85MM of those savings to sign Carroll. Acquiring another notable free agent (such as Rosenthal's example of Joel Pineiro) would require L.A. to make another move to free up the cash to sign the right-hander.

We've already seen a bit of penny-pinching from the team this winter when they didn't offer arbitration to any of their free agents, passing on the chance to acquire compensatory draft picks for Type A free agents Orlando Hudson and Randy Wolf out of fear that Hudson or Wolf might accept the offer. The bright side for Dodgers fans is that the team is at least keeping the payroll stable, rather than shifting into outright cost-cutting mode. Rosenthal notes that there are no plans to deal any of L.A.'s young stars before their arbitration years --- trading the likes of Andre Ethier, for example, would be "counter-productive" given Ethier's reasonable arbitration number and Manny Ramirez's slight decline.

This stand-pat strategy will force Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti to be creative in filling the holes on a club that has lost the NLCS to Philadelphia in each of the last two seasons. Rosenthal said that George Sherrill is "a candidate to be traded," but L.A. wouldn't save much money from the deal and getting rid of Sherrill would weaken their bullpen. There is also a need to sign a veteran like Pineiro to anchor the otherwise young starting rotation.

I don't see why we'd push for Pinerio, i'd rather see Garland back.

Yo MrJ, if this is the same weather tomorrow - you ain't gonna move on the 15 and the cajon pass. Goodluck homie.

how's the weather down there? going to be at la habra this weekend.

oh yea i forgot to post this
[h2]The best in blue[/h2]

Comment Email Print >http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-i...y: continuous;">Share </div><cite class= By Tony Jackson
ESPN Los Angeles
Archive

As decades go, it has been mostly a good one for the Dodgers, at least in comparison to the preceding one. When Frank McCourt took ownership of the once-proud franchise in 2004, a point at which the Dodgers had gone seven seasons without reaching the playoffs and 16 years without winning so much as a postseason game, one of his stated goals was to restore the Dodgers' "brand." For the most part, that seems to have been accomplished. The Dodgers have reached the playoffs four times in the past six seasons, and they have advanced to the National League Championship Series in each of the past two.

But one other aspect of this fast-closing decade sets it apart for the Dodgers. Since 2000, baseball has become a team sport at Chavez Ravine, perhaps more than at any other time since the club moved to Los Angeles more than a half century ago. The Dodgers' resurgence has taken place without a single player who could have been described as the face of the franchise.

And that makes choosing a list of 10 "Dodgers of the Decade" a daunting task.

It also leaves that list open to debate.

There wasn't a dominating pitcher on the level of Sandy Koufax or Don Drysdale. There wasn't an All-American poster boy along the lines of Steve Garvey or Orel Hershiser. There were no cultural icons with the staying power of Fernando Valenzuela, no teen idols the likes of Mike Piazza, no unforgettable moments on the game's biggest stage such as the one once provided by Kirk Gibson.

And although one of the four managers the Dodgers had during the decade is headed to the Hall of Fame and has achieved a level of celebrity that transcends baseball, even Joe Torre doesn't boast the star quality or showmanship of Tommy Lasorda.

In short, it was a decade without a superstar.

What it did have was fallen heroes. As you peruse this list, you will notice that there are players, including the top two, who have been linked to performance-enhancing drugs.

It also includes at least one player, Jeff Kent, who will be better remembered for his surliness than his Hall of Fame career, most of which took place before he came to the Dodgers as a free agent in December 2004.

It includes only one player, Paul Lo Duca, who didn't appear in the postseason for the Dodgers, but that was only because he was traded in the midst of the club's 2004 division title run, a run in which he played a big role. We'll never know whether his presence might have helped the club avoid a quick first-round exit that October.

But this list doesn't include a single player who didn't play at least some part in the restoring of that brand that McCourt talked about. And that's why the list doesn't include, say, pitcher Kevin Brown, who had four productive seasons in his five years with the Dodgers, five years in which they never reached the playoffs. Or outfielder Gary Sheffield, who had a spectacular 3½-year run with the Dodgers, putting up eye-popping offensive numbers that ultimately netted nothing for the team. Or pitcher Hideo Nomo, who won a total of 32 games for the Dodgers in 2002 and 2003 but was fairly awful in 2004, the first year this current run of success began for the club.

It also doesn't include a handful of guys who might deserve to be there.

Of the current crop of young, rising stars, only Andre Ethier was chosen, primarily because of the staggering number of clutch hits he has delivered the past two years. But a compelling argument could have been made for first baseman James Loney, whose grand slam against the Chicago Cubs jump-started the Dodgers' first playoff series win in 20 years in 2008. Or center fielder Matt Kemp, who matured into one of the league's most feared hitters in 2009 and has the potential to join the Dodgers' pantheon of all-time greats. Or pitcher Chad Billingsley, whose second-half struggles in 2009 did little to diminish his 40 wins over the past three seasons.

So, for better or worse, here is that list. Let the debate begin.

10. Andre Ethier
He had a flair for the dramatic that was unmatched in recent Dodgers history, leading the majors with six walk-off hits in 2009 and a total of nine walk-off hits in 2008 and 2009 combined, with five of those hits home runs. Ethier arguably became the first of the Dodgers' stable of promising young players to truly blossom, slamming 42 doubles and 31 homers in 2009 while driving in 106 runs.

mlb_g_aethier1_576.jpg
Jeff Gross/Getty Images

9. Paul Lo Duca
His popularity with the fans is a big reason he made the list, but he also was a highly productive offensive player. From the time Lo Duca became the team's primary catcher at the start of 2001 until he was shipped to Florida at the 2004 trade deadline, he hit .288 with 55 homers and 286 RBIs and made two All-Star teams.

la_g_loduca_576.jpg
Rick Stewart/Getty Images

8. Takashi Saito
Hardly a sexy Japanese import on a scale with Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hideki Matsui or even teammate Hiroki Kuroda, Saito originally signed a minor league contract with the Dodgers and was prepared to begin the 2006 season in Triple-A. But he was called up on minor league Opening Day to take Eric Gagne's roster spot and quickly developed into a rock-solid closer, saving 81 games in the next three seasons.

la_g_saito01_576.jpg
Jeff Gross/Getty Images

7. Adrian Beltre
His critics point to the fact that it took too many years for him to finally reach his potential in 2004, when he led the NL with 48 homers and drove in 121 runs, then promptly left as a free agent. But Beltre hit 92 homers with 276 RBIs in a three-year period beginning in 2002, and the franchise renaissance of 2004 wouldn't have happened without him.

la_g_beltre_576.jpg
Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images

6. Jeff Kent
He will be remembered primarily for his sour demeanor and for feuding with reporters, teammates and even beloved broadcaster Vin Scully. But the former Most Valuable Player and future Hall of Famer was the Dodgers' best offensive player for the bulk of his four seasons with the club and made his final All-Star Game appearance in a Dodgers uniform in 2005.

la_u_jkentts_576.jpg
Kirby Lee/US Presswire

5. Derek Lowe
A reliable presence who never missed a start in four seasons with the Dodgers and was the undisputed ace of the staff for much of that time. He won 54 games and undoubtedly would have won more if he hadn't frequently suffered from a lack of run support.

mlb_g_dlowe1_576.jpg
Jeff Gross/Getty Images

4. Shawn Green He slammed 91 homers in a two-year span, including four of them in a single game at Milwaukee on May 23, 2002. In five seasons with the Dodgers, the left-handed-hitting Green averaged 37 doubles, 32 homers and 102 RBIs.

la_g_green01_576.jpg
Stephen Dunn/Getty Images

3. Joe Torre
Torre was already a Hall of Fame manager when he arrived, having led the New York Yankees to four World Series titles and 14 consecutive playoff appearances. He not only brought a calming influence to a Dodgers clubhouse that had been famously fractured before his arrival in 2008 but also persuaded a young team to buy into a cerebral, patient hitting approach that turned a formerly punchless lineup into a potent offensive force.

la_g_jtorre_576.jpg
Rob Tringali/Sportschrome/Getty Images

2. Manny Ramirez
Ramirez makes the list almost entirely on the strength of the impact he had after his trade-deadline arrival in 2008. He instantly energized a team that was foundering and eventually resulted in the Dodgers' reaching the National League Championship Series for the first time in 20 years. Ramirez remained a fan favorite even after his 50-game drug suspension early in 2009, but his production dropped off dramatically after his return.

la_u_ramirezm_576.jpg
Gary A. Vasquez/US Presswire

1. Eric Gagne
He converted all 55 of his save opportunities in 2003, making him an easy choice as that year's National League Cy Young Award winner, and made good on 84 consecutive save chances from 2002 to '04. Injuries shortened his Dodgers career, though, and his appearance years later on the Mitchell report might have diminished what he accomplished in his heyday with the club. Still, Gagne was a Dodgers phenomenon like no other. The whole production of his ninth-inning entry from the bullpen -- "Welcome to the Jungle" blared over the Dodger Stadium sound system while "Game Over" flashed on the scoreboards -- was compelling enough that Dodgers fans, who for years had been notorious for leaving early to beat the traffic, actually stuck around until the end just to see it.

la_g_gagne01_576.jpg
Stephen Dunn/Getty Images

Originally Posted by sinser13

how's the weather down there? going to be at la habra this weekend.

You're good money Sin.

Everything cleared up all blue skies.

Everyone be safe and enjoy your NYE, watch out too many cops out in full force. Have a DD if you guys plan to pull a Bellisario.

I'll be celebrating tonight in Orange County
mad.gif

Dodgers, Matt Kemp Talk Multiyear Deal By Zach Links [December 31 at 6:04pm CST] The Dodgers have begun discussing a multi-year contract with Matt Kemp, writesKen Gurnick of MLB.com. However, his agent Dave Stewart says that Kemp might prefer to go year-to-year via arbitration. Kemp is one of nine Dodgers eligiblefor arbitration this winter and one of five eligible for the first time in their careers. Gurnick writes that signing position players like Kemp, James Loney,and Andre Ethier to long-term deals would provide the club with a degree of cost certainty. GM Ned Colletti approached Russell Martin two years ago about amultiyear agreement but was rebuffed. The 25-year-old hit .297/.352/.490 with 26 HRs in 2009 while playing an above average center field.

Rihanna Is Now a Kemp Woman
Posted Jan 4th 2010 5:56PM by TMZ Staff

Rihanna is starting the new year with a new man ... LA Dodger Matt Kemp.

0104_rihanna_splash_exc_2.jpg

RiRi and Matty got up close and personal while vacationing in Mexico together this weekend.

Last week, Matt lied to our cameraman -- and adamantly stated the two were just "friends."

Ah yeah, yeah, yeah!

I just don't know what to say, as bad as the off-season has gone, Kemp is in trouble.

Manny's last season with the Dodgers
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom