OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD: (95-57) NL West Champs --- NLCS Chumps

he hooked up the head of the department with free shwag and spring training tickets
smh.gif
smh.gif

By not offering Wolf arbitration the Dodgers essentially said that paying $2 million to sign two draft picks is not what they want to do. There is no chancewhatsoever that Wolf would have accepted arbitration. As if not being able to accept the risk of paying Wolf $8 Million for one year should the stock marketexplode tomorrow and he does accept arbitration doesn't show that McCourt has no money, then the refusal to pay for draft picks is not only a bigger signthat this team should have a new owner as soon as possible as it is a sign that the current owner is a complete idiot as well as being broke.

I'm trying to hold faith that the worse it gets now the better it will get sooner. If McCourt can't afford even $2 Mill, there's no way that hecould operate this team through this divorce. That said, my guess is the team will be forced to sale. Hopefully sometime before summer. Maybe we could have newownership this time next year, just in time to lock up our core group of players. Realistically we have two years to get this all figured out. That's whenour young guys will start getting to free agency.

As far as you guys saying the window is closing, I'm not sure I see it. We still have a bunch of talent under control for a lot of years, and we have agood amount of high ceiling talent in the farm system.

My main wish would be that Eli Broad is still interested in the team. He may have lost a lot of $ with KB Homes recently, but he's still got at leastdouble what Frank and Jamie have ever had. That and he wanted to pay straight cash for the team before, but Selig basically said no. And the rumors of himwanting to have Peter O'Malley as an investor and as a guy who ran baseball operations. If I could just have one +@$@*%% wish
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
it would be that Eli Broad owns the Dodgers by this time next year. It's sad that I have no idea how he would be as an owner, says a littleabout how I feel about the McCourts
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

yo ironman, i saw on the other thread that youre heading to SC for the grad program , congrats. what kinda grades do you have to get to get into the program?
nerd.gif
what are you studying?

Fortunately, a blunder in my scheduling incompetence and procrastination helped me out in the long run
laugh.gif
. I graduated from CSULA, double major Journalism and English, my GPA was 3.2. My lower level GPA was junk, had the stupid "C = degree mentality"
smh.gif
@ me. However, my upper division coursework, I nearly had a 4.0. I graduatedwith something like 240 units (Only needed 180 to graduate, I had AP credit as well
ohwell.gif
), again
smh.gif
@ me. Then again, this was from 2000-2005, so I had EOP, PellGrants, Cal Grants. Money was rolling in, I was interning at different places. Those Fin Aid checks were crack, like a tax refund every quarter
smokin.gif

Things happen for a reason. I got accepted into Annenberg in '06, but I put it off due to financial reasons. As I got into the professional world, themore I soured on getting on getting a Masters in the Comm field. No need to pursue Journalism/English in Grad School, IMHO. Some of those extra classes werePoli Sci classes. I'm pursuing a Masters in Public Administration through the School of Policy, Planning and Development.

I'm not going to lie, networking helped. Through my internships I met someone that worked in the Athletic Department. He got me a side gig helping outwith the Football team on game days. They pay a per diem ($50 a game). I figure I could sacrifice 6 Saturday's a year, and get to watch SC football forfree. I don't know what's better, watching every SC home game or all the important people that I have met. I met a lot of people, from the AD (MikeGarrett) to the school's president (Dr. Sample). I got some great letters of rec.

he hooked up the head of the department with free shwag and spring training tickets
smh.gif
smh.gif

You have to grease some wheels
wink.gif

As far as you guys saying the window is closing, I'm not sure I see it. We still have a bunch of talent under control for a lot of years, and we have a good amount of high ceiling talent in the farm system.

The window is not close to being closed. However, when you reach the NLCS in consecutive years knowing that your glaring weakness is pitching,you don't let go of one of your most consistent starters in Randy Wolf. Granted, Wolf had a career year and it would be absurd to assume that he is goingto have a similar year in 2010. Still, to not offer arbitration, that is absurd. Worst case scenario, Wolf accepts and he comes back at the relatively cheapprice he was brought in for in 2009.

The window isn't closed, but you also got to strike while the iron is hot. You're not going to get over the hump by standing pat.

Good news, the Red Sox have signed Scutaro
smokin.gif

how is tuition looking for you?
im looking into grad programs now and not sure what to do
grin.gif

my counselor told me SC wants the top of the top candidates and they wanna see that you did some major +$# project for your company or something thatsborderline amazing to get accepted. i only have about a 3.2
grin.gif
and thatswhat has me worried too

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

how is tuition looking for you?
im looking into grad programs now and not sure what to do
grin.gif

my counselor told me SC wants the top of the top candidates and they wanna see that you did some major +$# project for your company or something thats borderline amazing to get accepted. i only have about a 3.2
grin.gif
and thats what has me worried too
That's BS.

I got into Annenberg without any professional experience, just internships. They look into the coursework in your Major, in that regard I had nearly allA's. I did write in the School paper and I had some other published work, nothing special. I made a book of my articles and I had a couple of reels ofcamera stuff. Like I said, nothing major, just student stuff, nothing to brag about. I had an above average GRE score. I had some letters of rec from myprofessors.

Above Average GRE score, letters of rec, I had a part time job running an after school program, and I volunteered when I had time.

Considering the economic times we are in, I'm sure a lot of graduating students are going straight to Grad School. Not much weight can be put intoprofessional projects.

Tuition
grin.gif
Still figuring it out. A little out of pocket +scholarships/grants/apprenticeships+ loans =
sick.gif
....Oh well.

yea, i figured the same on the whole work experience, but im just going off of what my counselor told me 2 weeks ago
my gf got accepted in to the SC medical/nursing program, but she already has a #%+%!#!# of loans to take care off....its ugly
sick.gif

but yea....ill see whats up. imma look into it a lil more and look into the Anderson program too. thanks for the response

http:// [h3]Crasnick: Lowry on LAD Radar[/h3]
2:47PM ET

[h5]Noah Lowry | Giants[/h5]
Top Email

The Los Angeles Dodgers are considering free agent Noah Lowry as a possible back-end-of-the-rotation option, reports ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Lowry, 29, hasn't pitched since August 2007 because of a rib injury, but the Dodgers have a connection to him. GM Ned Colletti and Dodgers trainer Stan Conte were both in San Francisco in 2005 when Lowry pitched 204 innings and won 13 games for the Giants.

The Dodgers' ownership situation is unsettled as Frank and Jamie McCourt go through a divorce, and the team declined to offer salary arbitration to pitcher Randy Wolf and six other free agents. Lowry, a Southern California native, could have some appeal to the Dodgers because he's likely to sign a short-term contract with a low base salary and lots of incentives.

San Diego, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Seattle and Cincinnati are among the other clubs believed to have an interest in Lowry.

justin_miller-long.jpg

Vin stays talkin about this guys tats (and felipe lopez)
laugh.gif

No more Giant players Ned, no mas
mad.gif

Ironman was you at the USC game today?

if yes then why you and some of the mexicans in the stands didn't beat Mccourts %%#?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Ironman was you at the USC game today?

if yes then why you and some of the mexicans in the stands didn't beat Mccourts %%#?
laugh.gif
Yeah I was, didn't even know that fool was there.

Saw that fool in our lunch area on Friday,
eyes.gif

He does sign my checks though
ohwell.gif

Waiting for the "we can't pay you guys this week" small business going under speech
laugh.gif

Multiple Teams Interested In Juan Pierre
By Mike Axisa [December 6 at 7:52pm CST]
Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports says that three or four teams are interested in Juan Pierre, and that a three-team trade is being explored to bring a badcontract starter to the Dodgers in return. Henson says the bad contract starter wouldn't be ex-Dodger Derek Lowe.

The 32-year-old Pierre is still owed $18.5MM over the next two years, however he boosted his value a bit by hitting .308/.365/.392 with 30 steals in 2009. Itwas his best offensive season since 2004, and the second best of his career. UZR/150 pegged Pierre as excellent in LF (+16.4) but awful in center (-19.4).

Can you think of any "bad contract starter" fits? Maybe one of the Detroit guys (Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson, Dontrelle Willis), or Jeff Suppan?

Dodgers Shopping Sherrill
By Steve Adams [December 7, 2009 at 3:44am CST]
3:44am: Matthew Pouliot calls the situation "another sign the Dodgers are broke." Writes Pouliot:

"A large-market team should be able to pay a top-notch setup man $4 million-$4.5 million. That's what the Royals gave Kyle Farnsworth, and at lastcheck, Kansas City wasn't a large market and Farnsworth wasn't top notch."

Pouliot also names the Tigers and Rays as possible matches, and adds the Phillies and Rangers as teams who could be interested in Sherrill as well, though Iwonder if the Rangers would want to take on his salary.
2:53am: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi report that if the Dodgers are looking to move a relief arm, it's George Sherrill.

The Dodgers have several appealing arms such as Ronald Belisario, Hong Chih-Kuo, and Ramon Troncoso. However, when teams come calling about those three, theDodgers instead turn the focus to Sherrill, who struggled in the NLCS and is set to earn up to $4MM through arbitration.

In return for Sherrill, who's saved 52 games over the past two seasons en route to a two-year stretch of a 3.02 ERA through 122.1 innings with 119 Ks and a1.28 WHIP, the Dodgers would like to receive a starting pitcher.

Given those stats and the fact that he's under team control through 2011, Sherrill should be able to fetch some value regardless of a rising salary and adisappointing NLCS. What teams make sense for the former All-Star? Detroit is said to be looking for bullpen help, and the Rays could benefit from amore-established arm to close out games as well. Those are just names I'm throwing out there, let's hear your thoughts on the issue as well.

Worst off-season ever.

Reaching the NLCS 2 years in a row and we're on the verge of losing Garland, Wolf, Padilla - with no clear direction of which way this team is going.

Dodgers Inquire On Alfredo Amezaga
By Tim Dierkes [December 7 at 2:19pm CST]

The Dodgers are inquiring on Marlins utility man Alfredo Amezaga, tweets MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. Amezaga, 32 in January, missed most of the season due to a knee injury that eventually required microfracture surgery. He's one of the Marlins' 11 arbitration-eligible players and shouldn't cost much to acquire.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/edwin-jackson-rumors-monday.html[/h1]
[h1]Edwin Jackson Rumors: Monday[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 7 at 2:26pm CST]

2:26pm: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports agree with Nightengale - the Tigers are close to trading Jackson. They say the Brewers, Mets, and Dodgers "are not on Jackson."

http:// [h3]Pierre for Castillo?[/h3]
3:21PM ET

[h5]Juan Pierre | Dodgers[/h5]
Top Email

SI.com's Jon Heyman tweets this afternoon that "juan pierre talked about in trades by #dodgers. #mets would consider luis castillo for pierre."

This would give the Dodgers a second baseman and shed Pierre's payroll in one move, and would also clear the path for the Mets to get serious about second basemen Mark DeRosa and Orlando Hudson. Hudson has long been a favorite of GM Omar Minaya's, but he'll likely have competition for Hudson's services, including the Chicago Cubs and Seattle Mariners.

so if we make little to no moves this offseason we going to still have people trying to defend this front office?

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/dodgers-notes-.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Notes: Sherrill, Pierre, Payroll, Torre[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 7, 2009 at 7:26pm CST]

Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times spoke to Dodgers GM Ned Colletti, and kindly broke the conversation up into five tweets.
  • Colletti shot down the FOX Sports report that the Dodgers are shopping set-up man George Sherrill.
  • The Dodgers would want pitching in return for Juan Pierre. The White Sox and one other team are apparently interested.
  • Colletti suggested that, for now, the Dodgers aren't planning on decreasing payroll.
  • Colletti finds it unlikely that the Dodgers will make a signing at the Meetings.
  • Hernandez says the Dodgers "are talking to Joe Torre about extending his contract by one year and having him move into a role in baseball operations in 2012."

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

so if we make little to no moves this offseason we going to still have people trying to defend this front office Owner?
Baseball Ops can only do so much.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/randy-wolf-signing-imminent.html[/h1]
[h1]Randy Wolf Close To Signing With Brewers?[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 7 at 9:34pm CST]

9:34pm: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel hears that it will take a three year offer to lure Wolf to Milwaukee. The Brewers appear willing to offer the lefty a third year. The Dodgers didn't offer him arbitration, so at least he won't cost a draft pick. Still, nothing's certain at this point.

sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom