OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD: (95-57) NL West Champs --- NLCS Chumps

I will just say that I wasn't sad when they traded Edwin Jackson, he was rushed and then never got his #@#@ together. He couldn't find the strikezone, and he still has bouts of wildness.

However, I was very dissapointed in the package we received from the Rays. Baez and Carter never amounted to anything. Carter never panned out in the majorsand Baez is a fringe major leaguer.

I'm sure Phillips got the benefits of Great American Ballpark, but he has a solid glove.

Sherrill/Van Slyke for Jackson is the most I would do and that is because we are deep in Outfielders. However, including Cory Wade is too much for EdwinJackson. Jackson did have a terrible second half of the season, and Wade could have a solid bounce back season in 2010.

I want to hear the Pierre rumors, I'm sure somebody somewhere needs this guy.

18.75 mil for the next two years for phillips?
sick.gif
pass

i remember all the hype about edwin, then he pitched that game in arizona where he pitched really well. and then i have no idea what happened. it feels likethat was 10 years ago but the dude is only 26 so its probably worth a shot although it just sounds dumb to trade for a guy you traded away. him and billingsleycan hang out and share stories about how they great they are in the first halves of seasons

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

him and billingsley can hang out and share stories about how they great they are in the first halves of seasons
cold
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
him and bills were good friends from what I remember.

might have been roommates I can't remember.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Lambo or Paul to replace Manny?
I don't think Lambo will be ready by next year.

Paul might not be starter material, so it's hard to say unless he sees some ML action this coming season.

Carl Crawford
nerd.gif

Dutton again mentions the talks between the Dodgers and Royals on a possible A.J. Ellis for Alberto Callaspo deal. Ellis, 29 in April, posted OBPs over .436 in Triple A for 2008-09.
So maybe both teams are talking about the swap?

Only con I've heard aout Callaspo is his fielding.

The Dodgers announced their 2010 spring training schedule yesterday. Among other things, they open Dodger Stadium with an exhibition against Cleveland on Friday, April 1, followed by a home-and-home with the Angels. Here is the full schedule (games at Camelback Ranch in blue):
[table][tr][td]March/April[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sunday[/td] [td]Monday[/td] [td]Tuesday[/td] [td]Wednesday[/td] [td]Thursday[/td] [td]Friday[/td] [td]Saturday[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]5
@ CWS
[/td] [td]6
CWS
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7
ChC[/td] [td]8
SF[/td] [td]9
Col
[/td] [td]10
AZ
[/td] [td]11
Cin (ss)
KC (ss)[/td] [td]12
Cin
[/td] [td]13
AZ[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14
Tex
[/td] [td]15
LAA[/td] [td]16
[/td] [td]17
CWS
[/td] [td]18
ChC
[/td] [td]19
SD
7:05[/td] [td]20
Tex (ss)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SD (ss)
7:05
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21
Cle
[/td] [td]22
LAA (ss)
[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]24
Oak
7:05[/td] [td]25
Mil
[/td] [td]26
KC
[/td] [td]27
Sea
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mil (ss)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]28
Cin[/td] [td]29
Cle
7:05[/td] [td]30
Col[/td] [td]31
SF
[/td] [td]1
Cle
7:10[/td] [td]2
@ LAA
7:05[/td] [td]3
LAA[/td] [/tr][/table]

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, general manager Omar Minaya has spoken with the Dodgers about Luis Castillo.
Minaya said that a few teams have shown interest in Castillo, which would have been unthinkable last winter. The Mets are in a better place this fall after Castillo batted .302/.387/.346 in 2009. The 34-year-old second baseman still has two years and $12 million left on his contract. Juan Pierre, who is slated to make $18.5 million over the next two seasons, would be a comparable swap.

[h3]Ethier, Kemp claim Silver Slugger honors[/h3]Kemp adds to trophy case day after winning Gold Glove
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

11/12/09 6:00 PM EST

LOS ANGELES -- One day after the Dodgers had two Gold Glove winners, it was announced that they had two Silver Slugger winners.

Outfielders Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier received honors Thursday as the best hitters at their positions, the first year since 1995 (Mike Piazza and Eric Karros) that the Dodgers had a pair of winners and the first time they've had two outfielders selected in the same season. It was the first such honor for each player.

Kemp's mantle is getting crowded, as he also won his first Gold Glove Award on Wednesday. Catcher Russell Martin pulled off that double in 2007.

Kemp's offensive credentials included career highs with 26 homers, 101 RBIs, 97 runs scored 52 walks in 159 games. He was third in the league with 34 steals and became the first Dodger in franchise history with at least 25 homers, 100 RBIs and 30 steals in the same season.

Kemp also slugged three grand slams and homered in four consecutive games. Kemp hit .297 on the season and his .362 average against left-handed pitching ranked sixth in the league. His 10 RBIs in extra innings was the most in the Major Leagues since Juan Gonzalez had 11 in 1991, and the most in the National League since Tim Wallach had 11 for Montreal in 1982.

[h5]NL SILVER SLUGGER AWARDS[/h5]

[table][tr][th="col"]POS[/th] [th="col"]PLAYER[/th] [th="col"]HR[/th] [th="col"]RBI[/th] [th="col"]AVG[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1B[/td] [td]Albert Pujols, Cards[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]135[/td] [td].327[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2B[/td] [td]Chase Utley, Phillies[/td] [td]31[/td] [td]93[/td] [td].282[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3B[/td] [td]R. Zimmerman, Nats[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]106[/td] [td].292[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]H. Ramirez, Marlins[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]106[/td] [td].342[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OF[/td] [td]Ryan Braun, Brewers[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]114[/td] [td].320[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OF[/td] [td]Andre Ethier, Dodgers[/td] [td]31[/td] [td]106[/td] [td].272[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OF[/td] [td]Matt Kemp, Dodgers[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]101[/td] [td].297[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Brian McCann, Braves[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]94[/td] [td].281[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]C. Zambrano, Cubs[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]11[/td] [td].217[/td] [/tr][/table]

Ethier was just as impressive. He established career highs with 31 homers, 42 doubles, 106 RBIs, 72 walks and 92 runs in 160 games. He was sixth in the league in RBIs and tied for fifth in doubles. He became just the fourth Dodger with at least 30 homers and 40 doubles, joining Babe Herman (1930), Raul Mondesi (1997) and Karros (1999).

Ethier also had a flair for the dramatic. He led the Major Leagues with six walk-off hits, including an MLB-leading four walk-off homers that tied the Major League record also held by Jimmie Foxx (1940) and Roy Sievers (1957). His 22 homers at Dodger Stadium are a Los Angeles single-season record for a left-handed hitter.

Ethier had six multi-homer games, one with three homers, and of his 31 homers, 18 gave the Dodgers a tie or lead. He was twice named NL Player of the Week.

Together, Kemp and Ethier gave the Dodgers their first set of teammates with at least 100 RBIs since Shawn Green and Gary Sheffield in 2001.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I loved Plashcke's piece today, it only shows how bad he is. Trying to link this Scout's pay cut to the McCourt divorce:

Genovese doesn't use a computer, and fears his handwritten notes are being ignored, as several of his prospects have been drafted by other clubs.

He also doesn't use a stopwatch or the newfangled equipment of younger scouts, and fears his old-fashioned approach is being used against him.

"I know this is a different era, but baseball is baseball, isn't it?" said Genovese, who has yet to sign a Dodger who has made it to the major leagues but has tipped other scouts on hundreds of local players he knows better than anyone.

Some will argue that the Dodgers are being charitable by continuing to employ an 87-year-old man. But like Evans said, scouting is different. Age is an asset. Experience is irreplaceable.
laugh.gif

Look, he is an old scout and they already get no love. This guy is still getting 8k, none of his guys have ever panned out, he can't/doesn't use aCPU. Plaschke should look around the LA Times building and see how many of his colleagues have made it through these tough economic times, when the newspaperbusiness is cutting people left and write.

I don't know the Baseball Operations side, I'm not a part of it. However, this sounds like a Scout that hasn't produced and I trust Logan Whiteand I'm sure he is allocating his budget to Scouts that are actually signing good players. This is the equivalent of someone who punches in and outeveryday on time, but doesn't do anything on the job and then asks for a raise.

smh.gif
@ Bill, he has fallen off.

[h1]Dodgers Discussing Javier Vazquez, Luis Castillo?[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 13 at 9:16am CST]

Former Reds and Nationals GM Jim Bowden is on Twitter, and last night he floated a couple of Dodgers rumors. Bowden wrote that the Dodgers are talking with the Braves about pitcher Javier Vazquez and with the Mets about second baseman Luis Castillo.

Vazquez would be an excellent addition to the front of the Dodgers' rotation, and he won't break the bank at $11.5MM in 2010. However, his no-trade clause specifically allows him to block trades to AL and NL West clubs. Plus, do the Dodgers have the trade chips the Braves crave?

At $12MM over the next two years, Castillo is still viewed as a salary dump candidate by most. Juan Pierre has the Dodgers' obvious bad contract, at $18.5MM over the next two years. ESPN's Buster Olney says Castillo no longer appears untradeable, and the Mets will probably go after Orlando Hudson if they move him.

Kinda weird, Vazquez wants no part of the West.

He had a pretty good year last season which was surprising as hell ...

Honestly, I don't care how much we save with that bad contract swap - I just can't imagine or want Castillo in Dodger blue.

Honestly, I don't care how much we save with that bad contract swap - I just can't imagine or want Castillo in Dodger blue.
I don't think Castillo is a bad pickup if we give the Mets Juan Pierre. Castillo brings more to the table offensively than Juan Pierre. Hisglove is another question depending on what defensive data you lean on.

I don't buy the Vazquez rumor at all, the Dodgers flirted with getting Vazquez before and he didn't want to come West.

Kershaw from the point of introducing slider in June: 2.04 ERA, 10.2 K/9, 2.3 K/BB, 0.16 HR/9. #wow

A couple years ago they said that vasquez didn't wanna be in the west because he had to keep flying back and forth to puerto rico, and a flight from thewest coast to puerto rico was too long/time consuming

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/eric-gagne-will-attempt-a-comeback.html[/h1]
[h1]Eric Gagne Will Attempt A Comeback[/h1]
By Mike Axisa [November 13 at 7:01pm CST]

Diamond Leung passes along a report which indicates that Eric Gagne told Canadian reporters that he will attempt to get back into the big leagues next year, and wouldn't rule out a return to the Dodgers. Gagne reportedly said that he is willing to sign a minor league contract, and wouldn't mind pitching in Double or Triple-A.

Gagne, 34 in January, last pitched in the majors with the Brewers back in 2008, spending last season with the Quebec Capitales of the independent Can Am League. Working as a starter for the first time since 2001, Gagne threw 102.2 innings (17 starts), striking out 64 and posting a 4.65 ERA for the team with the best record and highest attendance in the league.

IDK what you guys have to say, bring him back -- sans Boras.

He was in attendance for one of the postseason games. They played welcome to the jungle followed by a vignette, ending with showing him in the stands.

The goosebumps were just like when I was in 9th-11th grade taking the metro to the ballpark.

Give him a MiLB deal.

Please?

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/eric-gagne-will-attempt-a-comeback.html[/h1]
[h1]Eric Gagne Will Attempt A Comeback[/h1]
By Mike Axisa [November 13 at 7:01pm CST]

Diamond Leung passes along a report which indicates that Eric Gagne told Canadian reporters that he will attempt to get back into the big leagues next year, and wouldn't rule out a return to the Dodgers. Gagne reportedly said that he is willing to sign a minor league contract, and wouldn't mind pitching in Double or Triple-A.

Gagne, 34 in January, last pitched in the majors with the Brewers back in 2008, spending last season with the Quebec Capitales of the independent Can Am League. Working as a starter for the first time since 2001, Gagne threw 102.2 innings (17 starts), striking out 64 and posting a 4.65 ERA for the team with the best record and highest attendance in the league.

IDK what you guys have to say, bring him back -- sans Boras.

He was in attendance for one of the postseason games. They played welcome to the jungle followed by a vignette, ending with showing him in the stands.

The goosebumps were just like when I was in 9th-11th grade taking the metro to the ballpark.

Give him a MiLB deal.

Please?

its not 2003. you cannot be serious.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

it wouldn't hurt to throw a minor league deal at him and see what he is about
exactly.

Come on IYN. What's a minor league gonna hurt this franchise?

As you've stated countless times, "the owner is cheap" right?

So why not take a no risk shot at him being serviceable ?

I wish I was able to find a game over shirt at the stadium today, i'd have copped all of em
laugh.gif

this snuggie will do
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom