OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD: (95-57) NL West Champs --- NLCS Chumps

Manny's numbers after the suspension =
sick.gif
tired.gif

Sad to say, it's not really a reach to say it's not a coincidence. It looked like he couldn't even catch up to a fast ball anymore.

I'm still rooting for him and hopefully he'll have some extra motivation since it's a contract year.

He can't possibly do any worse.

Right?

He needs to work out with Kemp and Jeansen and they all need to learn the concept of patience and not wanting to go deep every pitch.

You really have to think of last season as a lost season for Manny.

It was his own fault, signing late, missing most of spring training, then getting suspended for 50 games. When he finally came back, he was trying too damnhard to "win" fans back by trying to hit everything for a home run.

I think he will have a good year next season. You have to like all the bandwagon fans,
smh.gif
. One bad season......trade Russell. One bad season....let Mannywalk. One bad half.....trade Billingsley. One decent stretch of games......I want Juan Pierre to be our starting left fielder.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

i dont agree with trading billingsley but from what i have read most would trade him because they think he may be done and want to get some vaule for him nowand dont see him as a ace( i dont agree with that just saying)

my thing with martin is that if we can get some pitching or another big bat with him and someone else TRADE HIS $@#, ironman and pacmac want to hold on to dudebecause he is a good defense catcher.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

i dont agree with trading billingsley but from what i have read most would trade him because they think he may be done and want to get some vaule for him now and dont see him as a ace( i dont agree with that just saying)

my thing with martin is that if we can get some pitching or another big bat with him and someone else TRADE HIS $@#, ironman and pacmac want to hold on to dude because he is a good defense catcher.
Most scouting reports say that if we trade Billingsley we will come to regret it, much like Pedro. Most say that he is too good to have thestruggles he was having last season, they were dumbfounded.

If you trade Martin, who is our Catcher? Even if we had Carlos Santana, he wouldn't be ready. Let's just hope he hit's the weights this offseason, instead of doing Yoga with his girlfriend. He is still an above average Catcher.

The best option on the market right now is probably Benji Molina, do ya'll really want him as our Catcher?
sick.gif

so if martin brings back Roy hallday you wouldnt take roy and lets say Molina as are catcher? cause i +$%#*#% would

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

i dont agree with trading billingsley but from what i have read most would trade him because they think he may be done and want to get some vaule for him now and dont see him as a ace( i dont agree with that just saying)

my thing with martin is that if we can get some pitching or another big bat with him and someone else TRADE HIS $@#, ironman and pacmac want to hold on to dude because he is a good defense catcher.
I don't think Billingsley has to be an ace, but one bad half of the season isn't enough to make me want to give up on him.

Martin is at a point right now where it doesn't really make sense to trade him. His value has decreased significantly because he will make $5 Mil and hisoffense was pretty bad this past season. If we could get something that was great for him sure why not. Selling low rarely makes sense unless you are for surethat a guy is done and you want to get what you can for him before he has zero value. I wouldn't put Russ into that category. If he has another bad year,then I think we can try to find another Catcher.

T.J. SIMERS
[h1]It looks as if Joe Torre wants more [/h1]
[table][tr][td]
50367421.jpg

Manager Joe Torre has led the Dodgers to their first back-to-back division titles in 30 years. (Matt Slocum / Associated Press)
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[h2]Manager is talking about staying with the Dodgers beyond next season.[/h2]
By T.J. Simers
November 8, 2009

Two days at Santa Anita for the Breeders' Cup, and of all places providing a sports memory of a lifetime in addition to a hot tip that finally pays off.

I hear Joe Torre is talking about extending his contract as manager with the Dodgers and remaining beyond next season.

"Where did you get that?" Torre says, the first time all weekend he seems to care where I'm getting my inside information.

But it's true, Torre says, "we're talking about it."

We know this, he's not chatting with Jamie McCourt about it.

"We were talking about my coaches and I've been thinking about it," Torre says while mentioning General Manager Ned Colletti's name and plans to chat again once Torre returns from a charity function in New York.

"It's been fun. When I came here, I was curious about how it might go. But the last two years have been invigorating. You see progress and your ego tells you maybe you had something to do with it."

The Dodgers have won back-to-back division titles for the first time in 30 years, and given the McCourts' tug-of-war and a scorecard to keep straight all the names of the lawyers, removing Torre's status as lame-duck manager might go a long way in bringing some stability to the team.

"He's done a great job," Colletti says. "And our relationship continues to be a very strong one."

But what would that mean for Don Mattingly, who had interviews with Cleveland and Washington a few weeks ago about managerial openings and who has been mentioned as heir apparent to Torre?

"We'll discuss Don this winter as well," Colletti says. "We believe he wants to stay here and we'll see where that goes.

"When I hired Joe, I told him we wanted to develop continuity here and I would like to have his successor on his staff or at least within the organization. He suggested Don be given a chance and I've told him we'll do that."

Mattingly is in Indiana, and with nothing to do there, he was obviously available take a call. He says, 'it doesn't bother me at all Joe wants to work another year or whatever.

"I really like it there and that's key for me. They've shown me tremendous loyalty and I like the club. I can't say assurances have been given to me [about becoming Torre's successor], but I like the way talks are going. That's a place where I want to be."

Torre will be 70 next season, and until Saturday, he had repeatedly said next season would be his last.

"Heard it before," Don Zimmer says with a laugh. Zimmer is one of Torre's best friends, his bench coach for eight years with the Yankees and sitting beside him the last two days at the Breeders' Cup.

"In five years he'll still be managing," Zimmer says with a chuckle. "I remember back in '96 or '97 we're at this function and his wife talking about how this is it, and how long ago was that?"

Torre's tenure as Yankees manager ended with Torre hurt, enough wins in the bank, or so he thought, that the team would not place him in the position of being a lame duck.

But they did, and so rather than settle for one more year in New York, as if he needed to prove himself again, he came to the Dodgers. And proved he still knows how to guide a winner, so long as his team doesn't have to play in Philadelphia to get to the World Series.

But now uncertainty will be a Dodgers way of life, visitation rights to the McCourts' indoor swimming pool maybe resolved, but what next?

"Look what he went through with the Yankees," Zimmer says. "This is nothing."

AS FOR the big race here Saturday, this place is normally empty, but when it came time for the Breeders' Cup Classic, here's hoping someone took a picture. The place may never look the same, jam-packed, the electricity here rivaling almost any sports event anywhere.

"This is so cool," Torre kept saying over and over again, and from what I can tell, it's the only time all weekend he was right on the money.

He rented trainer Bobby Frankel's boxes at Santa Anita, which placed him next to DottieIngordo-Shirreffs, wife of Zenyatta trainer John Shirreffs, and owner Jerry Moss.

When the Classic was delayed because Quality Road acted like Milton Bradley, and then had to be scratched, it threw Ingordo-Shirreffs, who told Torre the plan had been for Zenyatta to track Quality Road at the start of the race.

It didn't seem to be a big deal for Torre, who lost his starting pitcher early much of the season, but tension mounted in the owner's box.

Torre did a great job of appearing concerned and showing support for Zenyatta -- even though his money was on Einstein.

But it was hard not to get caught up in the dramatic moment, Torre actually cheering for Zenyatta as she came down the stretch, losing his money -- so now we know why he wants to work another year for the Dodgers.

AS FOR the winner when it came to picking horses for the benefit of Safe at Home, Torre and TVG's Bob Baedeker did the best they could. I guess. Maybe the pressure was just too much for them.

At this point I see no reason to dwell on how Page 2 fared, humility, as you know, always the first consideration here.

The trio did win $10,500 for Safe at Home, and then got a surprise visit from a beaming Rick Baedeker, working on behalf of Breeders' Cup Charities and TVG, who wanted to add another $5,000 in the name of Zenyatta.

"What a show -- I haven't heard this place as loud since Northern Dancer ran here in the '60s," said Baedeker, calling Zenyatta's performance the best he has ever seen.

And how long has he been watching races? "Well, I was born in '49," he said. "So since '50."

Even before Billingsley started to struggle, I would have been all for trading him if it meant getting someone like Halladay in return.

I'm almost certain Roy Halladay would have had a Cliff Lee like impact on this team. 2 years in a row the Dodgers came close to the World Series so I haveno doubt in my mind that they are a true ace away from getting there.

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

Even before Billingsley started to struggle, I would have been all for trading him if it meant getting someone like Halladay in return.

I'm almost certain Roy Halladay would have had a Cliff Lee like impact on this team. 2 years in a row the Dodgers came close to the World Series so I have no doubt in my mind that they are a true ace away from getting there.
Considering the financial situation around the team, a move like that just wouldn't make sense.

Billingsley is too valuable to us because he is a very good young pitcher who doesn't make a whole lot yet. Halladay is old, makes $16 Mil and would mostlikely command an extension around $20 Mil per year.

He would surely make us a better team, but not so much better that we give up 3 years of Bills for 1 year of Halladay. Not when your owner is about to go intoa messy divorce.

I like Bills, it would be foolish to trade him.

I still think that whole "slipping on ice" was a made up story
eyes.gif

Russ should get another try at it, but I hope he stops trying to convince us of him getting out the gates quick or how he lost mad weight and is in good shape.He needs to get his weight up and just come with it.

We know he has speed, but what does that speed do for the team if he can't get on base? His numbers don't lie, the yearly drop off in production couldbe a red flag, but hopefully he drops that broad and all that Ed Hardy and hits up Gagne up again for the goods.

Although the Boston Red Sox have been the team most frequently linked to Adrian Gonzalez, it's unclear whether they have the pieces to work out a trade. Rosenthal suggests the Padres will want some major-league talent in return, and quotes one baseball executive who says he can't imagine how the Sox get a deal done.
nerd.gif

Im telling you dudes,

a steady diet of Poutine, Beigniets and Nutella Stuffed Croissants will get him back to the Martin he should be.

Give him that childhood diet.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

you dont have to worry about halladay because mccourt would never take on/extend his contract anyway.
I have this off-season plan that I thought up in which the Dodgers trade Pierre and Sherrill to the Mets for Luis Castillo and two of the Metsprospects.

In that scenario you save about 9 million for this coming season. Then you can trade basically any 4 prospects (aside from Gordon and Withrow) for Halladay,and you would have added only 7 Mil in salary for the season. The extension is feasible because Kuroda and Manny's contract both expire after the season.

That said, I would not make the trade unless you could get some assurance from Halladay that you could extend him for a reasonable contract length. 5 yearswould make me uneasy considering his age, so that's a key thing to consider.

Considering all of the divorce stuff going on though, I doubt we see a Halladay trade.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/dodgers-not-pursuing-aroldis-chapman.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Not Pursuing Aroldis Chapman[/h1]
By Mike Axisa [November 9, 2009 at 12:11pm CST]

Bill Shaikin of The LA Times reports (via Dylan Hernandez) that the Dodgers are not pursuing Cuban lefthander Aroldis Chapman, even though starting pitching remains a top priority.

Here's our Chapman review from a little over a week ago last week. Since then we've learned more about the Angels, White Sox, Orioles, Cubs, Braves, and Marlins.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/09/gonzalez-might-put-cash-strapped-padres-in-a-bind/
Bill Center of The San Diego Union Tribune reports that the Padres haven't contacted John Boggs (Adrian Gonzalez's agent) to discuss a contract extension yet, mentioning that Gonzalez could be an $18-20MM player. FanGraphs valued Adrian's 2009 performance at $28.4MM, tenth best among position players.
He will wear Dodger blue soon, very soon
nerd.gif

2. John Lackey - Yankees. Last winter's strategy of signing the best two starters and the best hitter available contributed to the Yankees' World Series title. With rotation question marks after C.C. Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, it makes sense that the Yanks will pursue the best available starter in Lackey.
Imagine.

CC + Burnett + Lackey + Pettite + whoever else and Mariano closing it out
sick.gif

20. Felipe Lopez - Dodgers. They seem ready to part ways with Orlando Hudson, and Lopez might be a bit cheaper. Lopez's 2009 season ranked fourth among all free agents in WAR.
Vin stays talking about all his tats, Uggla or bust.
laugh.gif

23. Jon Garland, Dodgers. Bringing back Garland would be a safe move, though the Dodgers already declined his $10MM option. Garland required a $7.25MM guarantee a year ago, and he had a better season, so this is an iffy prediction. The Twins, Nationals, Mets, and Brewers may be among the other teams seeking an innings-eater.
Innings eater that could give our BP some rest?

Bring him back.

26. Erik Bedard - Dodgers. If the Dodgers don't want to pony up the cash or prospects for a true ace, they could buy a Bedard lottery ticket instead.
Sucha crapshoot.
13. Orlando Hudson - Nationals. The Nats coveted Hudson last year. Adding him now would help with their stated goal of improving up the middle.
Don't do it O-dog
eyes.gif

http:// [h3][/h3]
[h3]Padilla's status[/h3]
8:32AM ET

[h5]Vicente Padilla | Dodgers[/h5]
Top Email

The agent for http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4096Vicente Padilla told the LA Times last week that his client was being treated for a minor self-inflicted gunshot wound to his right leg in Nicaragua.

Before reports of the incident surfaced, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti had said the team was interested in re-signing the right-hander.

Have the plans to pursue Padilla changed? Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reports that that the Dodgers are asking "hard questions" about the incident.

[h3]Pierre a goner?[/h3]
10:27AM ET

[h5]Juan Pierre | Dodgers[/h5]
Top Email

Juan Pierre filled in admirably in left field for the Dodgers while Manny Ramirez served his 50-game suspension. His reward could be a ticket out of Los Angeles.

Now that Ramirez has decided to remain in LA, Dylan Herandez of the LA Times says GM Ned Colletti will resume his efforts to trade Pierre and the $18.5 million left on the outfielder's contract.

[h3]Adrian's brother says goodbye[/h3]
8:10AM ET

[h5]Edgar Gonzalez | Padres[/h5]
Top Email

There is speculation that the Padres might deal first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. His older brother already is out the door.

Edgar Gonzalez told the San Diego Union Tribune he will opt for free agency after the Padres dropped him from their 40-man roster and outrighted him to Triple-A Portland. "I think this is the end of my run here," Edgar said.

dodgers better pick up edgar ASAP!!!
laugh.gif

[h3]Here's what I would do if I owned/ran theDodgers.I am trying to be realistic, but also please note that some of the things I would prefer areagainst the philosophies of Colletti and McCourt.It's a fun task for me to dream out an off-season or moves, and it enhances my baseball knowledge, so havefun reading it, and I'd love to argue the validity of my proposed deals.
[/h3]Trades:
Juan Pierre for Luis Castillo. This trade allows the Dodgers to trade an overpaid slap hitter for an overpaid slap hitter who fills a position of greater need.The Dodgers save a total of $6.5 Million over the next two years in the deal, but the Mets should be able to take that salary on. If they can't orwon't, I would throw in a B prospect like a Steven Caseres or someone of that nature to enhance the offer.

George Sherrill for two prospects. Essentially, I would try to get for Sherril what I gave up for him, which is two good prospects. Sherill is due to make $5Million or so in arbitration, and getting rid of his salary would allow us to add more salary and would allow us to get prospects that we can trade for RoyHallady. I'm not sure which team this trade would be with, and I can envision a 3-team trade that includes Halladay and Sherril.One possibly scenario Ihave in mind is including Sherrill in the Pierre trade and getting back Jenry Mejia and Ruben Tejada.

4 prospects for Roy Halladay. Let's figure that the Dodgers can get one top 75 prospect and one top 200 prospect for Sherrill. That bolsters the farmsystem just slightly enough to allow the Dodgers the freedom to make this trade. I would be a fan of trading just about any 4 prospects aside from Withrow andGordon. How about Ivan DeJesus, Nathan Eovaldi, Scott Van Slyke, and the afformentioned top 75 prospect for Halladay.

Catcher: ($6 Million)
Russell Martin will look to bounce back in 2010. Bills James predicts he will hit 12 HRs with a .276 AVG and .768 OPS. That wouldn't be bad production fromthe Catcher position, and it would be decent value for the $5 Million or so Martin will make in arbitration.

The Dodgers don't have a backup under contract as of right now, and there isn't any word on whether 40 year old Brad Ausmus will be back for anotherseason. If Ausmus isn't coming back, I'd like to see Ramon Castro or Brian Schneider as the backup. That said, I think Ausmus coming back for $1 Mil onthe year makes good sense. Then maybe let him take over as bench coach when he retires.

First Base: ($3 Million)
James Loney on the road this past season OPS'd .862. At home his OPS was .640. If The Dodgers can somehow find out why Loney doesn't hit well at home,and fix it, then they will have one of the more productive 1B in the game. Loney hit 14 2B and 12 HR in 301 road ABs in 2009, while walking 39 times comparedto only 32 Ks. For a player like Loney, the vast improvement in walk rate (70:68 BB:K in 09, compared to 45:85 in 08) could mean a breakout in power. Combininga breakout in power with figuring out how to hit in Dodger Stadium would make Loney one of the best players in the game. The fact that he has 83 post-seasonABs with a .954 OPS is icing on the cake for the Dodgers. Expect Loney to make close to $3 Mil in arbitration

Loney played in 161 games in 2008 and 158 in 2009. Finding a backup for him makes no sense. I would let Casey Blake slide over to 1B whenever Loney needs a dayoff. I would consider giving Mientkiewicz a NRI to ST, but nothing more.

Second Base: ($7.5 Million)
Luis Castillo isn't that great, but he's $3 Million a year cheaper than Juan Pierre, and he plays a position of need. My ideal situation has Castilloplaying a little more than half the time at 2B, keeping him fresh (aka not running him into the ground like they did ODog) and giving Blake DeWitt some time.If the Dodgers can get a good season out of Furcal, then having marginal offense at 2B would be acceptable. It's my hope that DeWitt could win the job witha great spring and make Castillo an overpaid backup sort of like Pierre, just not as expensive.

Short Stop: ($8.5 Million)
Rafael Furcal got paid $6.5 Million to put up a .710 OPS in 2009. In 2010 he will et $8.5 Million, and an appropriate improvement in production would be whatthe Dodgers need. The good news is that Furcal had a .742 OPS after the All-Star Break, despite an AWFUL .563 OPS in August. He also stole 6 bases inSeptember/October, which hopefully is a sign that the back surgery is no longer lingering for Rafy. C

Third Base: ($6 Million)
Casey Blake's first full year in the NL was a great one. $5 Million for a .831 OPS at 3B is great value. I would expect a regression, since the Beard turns37 during the 2010 season. Because of Blake's age and versatility, I would like to see the Dodgers play Blake DeWitt at 3B at least once a week, givingDeWitt the chance to get some more ABs, and keeping Casey Blake healthy. In my opinion, the deal situation for the Dodgers involves Blake DeWitt getting 200ABs at 2B and at 3B. Throughout his career, DeWitt has hit lefties well, while Castillo doesn't hit lefties very well, and Blake hits lefties much betterthan righties. DeWitt had a .727 OPS in 368 ABs in the same 2B/3B role in 2008, and a slight improvement in that OPS in a similar role in 2010 would give theDodgers good depth, and allow them to have what would amount to a 5th infield starter should someone go down with an injury.

I think it would be a good idea for the Dodgers to find a bat who can hit off the bench, but also can play multiple positions. The Dodgers were extremely luckyto not have any of the 8 regulars get hurt, and Manny was the only one to miss considerable time. The likelihood of that happening again in 2010 isn'tgreat, so finding overpaying a guy who could start on a bad team to sit on the bench as insurance would be a good move. I would be a fan of Chad Tracy even ifit cost us $3 Million for one year. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Nomar back either, as he would be cheaper than Tracy because of age and he's afan favorite.

Left Field: ($5.5 Million)
Manny will receive just $5 Million of his $20 Million dollar salary for 2010. The rest will come in deferred payments in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Manny in acontract year should be nothing but great things for the Dodgers. The Dodgers shold choose between Paul and Hoffman for their 4th outfielder spot. Both providea young player who plays good defense and can hit a little to back up one of the best outfields in the game.

Center Field: ($5 Million)
Matt Kemp will look to improve on his 2009 season. Kemp was great all season, but finished with a poor September. I'm hoping for a 30/30 season. Kempshould play just about every day, but if the Dodgers are able to unload Pierre, then they will most likely need to keep Xavier Paul on the 25 man roster, tohave a backup CF.

Right Field: ($ 5 Million)
The Dodgers don't need an improvement from Andre Ethier. More of the same would be plenty. Ethier's last two seasons have been great. If I'm theDodgers I call on Byron Ethier to start tossing to his son left-handed again as he did when Andre was growing up, or let Jamie Hoffman who mashes lefties startin RF against most lefties.

Total: $46.5 Million

Starting Rotation: ($35 Million)
Roy Halladay ($16 Mil)
Clayton Kershaw (Minimum)
Chad Billingsley ($4 Mil)
Hiroki Kuroda ($13 Mil)
Charlie Haeger/Eric Stults/James McDonald/Scott Elbert (Minimum)

Essentially the same core rotation except you take the best pitcher in baseball and move him fro the AL East and put him in the NL West, while at the same timecollecting two draft picks for Randy Wolf. My personal favorite candidate for the 5th starter spot is James McDonald. However I'm fairly confident thatCharlie Haeger and even Eric Stults could provide the Dodgers with quality outings if necessary. I would be a fan of bringing Garland or Padilla back foraround $5 Mil, but with Halladay's salary, that may be too much to ask.

Bullpen: ($12 Million)
Jonathan Broxton ($6 Mil)
Hong-Chi Kuo ($2 Mil)
Ramon Troncoso (Minimum)
Ronald Belisario (Minimum)
Joe Beimel ($1.5 Mil)
Jeff Weaver ($.5 Mil)

Signing Joe Beimel gives the Dodgers a decent PVL reliever, and allows the Dodgers to do their best to keep Kuo healthy. If Kuo were to go on the DL (which Ithink the Dodgers should plan for) then Leach or Elbert should be able to fill in as the second lefty in the bullpen. I'd like to see Lindblom given a shotto make the team out of ST. He has the arsenal (Fastball, Slider, Splitter) to be effective at the back end of a bullpen, and we could surely use more depththere if we trade Sherrill.

Pitching staff total: $47 Million

Team total: $93.5 Million

This team as constructed gives the Dodgers essentially the same production as 2009. There are no significant changes other than Halladay, and losing Wolf makesthat almost a wash. Improvements from Kershaw, Bilingsley, Furcal, Loney and Martin will carry the Dodgers in 2010.

25 Man roster on Opening Day:

C Russell Martin, Brad Ausmus
1B James Loney, Nomar Garciaparra
2B Luis Castillo
SS Rafael Furcal
3B Casey Blake, Blake DeWitt
LF Manny Ramirez
CF Matt Kemp
RF Andre Ethier, Xavier Paul

Pitchers:
Roy Halladay
Chad Billingsley
Clayton Kershaw
Hiroki Kuroda
James McDonald
Jonathan Broxton
Hong-Chih Kuo
Ronald Belisario
Ramon Troncoso
Jeff Weaver
Joe Beimel
Charlie Haeger
Scott Elbert

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

http:// [h3][/h3]dodgers better pick up edgar ASAP!!!
laugh.gif
We do need a utility man if Loretta doesn't come back
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Follow along Adrian
smokin.gif

The next step in the Royals' offseason makeover is to acquire a catcher before Dec. 12 and therefore provide an alternative to offering a contract to arbitration-eligible John Buck. One rumor to watch: A deal sending second baseman Alberto Callaspo to the Los Angeles Dodgers for catcher A.J. Ellis, a 28-year-old rookie who currently projects as a backup to Russell Martin following the anticipated free-agent departure of veteran Brad Ausmus.
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/roy...y/1557629.html

His batting line last 2 years: .302 BA / .358 OBP / .433 SLG% / .791 OPS / 111 OPS+.... Also a 71-65 K-BB ratio.

Capozzi writes that there are "indications" that Dan Uggla will be traded by next month's winter meetings. The 29-year-old pounds out 30+ homer seasons like they're going out of style, but he made $5.35MM in just his first year of arbitration in 2009.

Adrian would cost too much in prospects because he costs so little in salary. That and I'm not ready to give up on Loney. The Padres have Blanks so wewould also have to find a place to trade Loney. When he becomes a FA I would love him though.

That Callaspo rumor seems bogus. That would be the greatest trade in Ned Colletti's life. A career minor league player with fringe ability as a backup foran infielder coming off of a very good offensive season. If it's true though, Ned needs to get that done ASAP.

I don't like Luis Castillo. I don't think he's that great of a player. However as far as overpaid slap hitters go, Pierre fits their needs betterand Castillo fits ours. That said, if the Callaspo trade is legit, then scrap that idea.

And we don't have the $$ to pay Uggla.

And we don't have the $$ to pay Uggla.
He is going to get roughly $7-8 million in arbitration, same amount we paid Orlando Hudson last year.

I don't buy the AJ Ellis for Alberto Callaspo deal, too good to be true
laugh.gif
. AJ Ellis projects to be a serviceable backup.

I don't like Luis Castillo either, but I've liked the Castillo for Pierre swap from the jump. We don't need Juan Pierre, he brings very little tothe table. He steals bases, but he doesn't get on base enough and he gets caught stealing a lot too. He hustles on defense but he can't throw,
ohwell.gif
. Let Pierre leave on a high note.

P Mac you bring some good points, especially about possibly bringing Nomar back. He was a fan favorite, he just needs to drop his asking price and accept autility role.

I'm not a fan of bringing Beimel back, and I don't think he is a fan of coming back to a Joe Torre managed team. He wasn't happy in his role as alefty one out specialist, and he didn't earn enough respect from Joe to use him in other situations. He allowed too many inherited runners to score in2008.

Something to put a few smiles on some of ya'lls faces:

Halladay seems like a good bet to be moved, while the Red Sox and Dodgers represent possible suitors for Gonzalez.
I don't see it happening. We have a solid first baseman already, not as powerful, but the cost to get Gonzales will make Loney the betteroption.

Back
Top Bottom