..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

Well we aren't off to very good start.
sick.gif

Nobody in their lineup should be doing any sort of damage against us but McClouth, and here they are up 2 - 0.
smh.gif

Absoultely pathetic game.
indifferent.gif

Probably my fault for saying they should sweep.
laugh.gif
frown.gif

They better win like 10 straight to make up for this.

Never take a team lightly.

Nice to see Lilly pitch a good game again. Cubs should win again on Sunday with the Big Z Nasty on the mound.

Lilly has only gotten more and more consistent as the season has progressed. He makes a very solid 4 starter on this staff.

Dempster and Z, 12 wins a piece and 2.9 and 2.8 ERA's respectively, have been amazing.
Lilly right behind them with 11 wins, granted his ERA is 4.35.
Marquis is what you would expect 6-7 big fat ERA.
Harden is 1-1 but he has a miniscule ERA of 1.11. He really should be 3-0 with the Cubs this year too. I am so excited about having for a full season nextyear.

Here is a question for you guys, do you think Sean Marshall should replace Marquis in the starting spot? I dont know what the Cubs would do with Marquis. Idont think he could throw out of the Bullpen, and if he couldve been traded for anything decent i think he wouldve been moved already. The guy just isntawesome, and i think Marshall could be a really good replacement. I may be way off on this though, lol.

Originally Posted by tylerdub

Here is a question for you guys, do you think Sean Marshall should replace Marquis in the starting spot? I dont know what the Cubs would do with Marquis. I dont think he could throw out of the Bullpen, and if he couldve been traded for anything decent i think he wouldve been moved already. The guy just isnt awesome, and i think Marshall could be a really good replacement. I may be way off on this though, lol.

That's the frustrating thing about Marquis, whenever he seems to be on the hot seat, he does enough to get off of it. Once the pressure is off of him,he starts to suck again and it goes in a cycle. Personally I like Marshall better, but I'm just biased.

41407392.jpg

Johnson Comes Up Clutch
Cubs Beat Pittsburgh 8-5
Reed Johnson raised his right arm as soon as the ball left his bat, and he popped out of the dugout moments later for a curtain call.

Alfonso Soriano simply added to the frenzy.

Johnson and Soriano hit back-to-back homers in the eighth, and the Cubs escaped with an 8-5 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Sunday after blowing athree-run lead in the top half of the inning.
The home runs lifted the Cubs to their seventh win in eight games and capped a strange afternoon that saw Carlos Zambrano leave after five strong innings eventhough he was not hurt.

Chicago (67-45) moved 22 games above .500 for the first time since 1989, when it won 93 games, but what looked like an easy win turned dramatic in the eighth.

The winning rally started when Craig Hansen (0-1) walked Geovany Soto with two outs. Sean Burnett came in, and Johnson drove an 0-2 pitch to left and thecelebration started.

Soriano gave the fans more to cheer when he sent a 1-2 pitch from Burnett to the seats in left, making it 8-5. Carlos Marmol came in and pitched a perfectninth for his sixth save in eight chances.

"We've got a lot of guys who come off the bench that I think could start on other teams," Johnson said. "Guys that when they do play,they're always contributing and that's what you want. ... We've got the right guys in this clubhouse."

This time, Johnson came through after Chad Gaudin (3-1) allowed the tying two-run homer to Andy LaRoche in the eighth.

The drama started before the top of the sixth when Cubs manager Lou Piniella decided to bring in Jeff Samardzija even though the Cubs had a 5-2 lead andZambrano had retired 12 in a row.

Zambrano, who had completed his warmups, left to a standing ovation, raising his right index finger on his way to the dugout.

Samardzija left with one out in the eighth after allowing just one hit while striking out one and walking one in 2 1-3 scoreless innings, but Neal Cotts andGaudin could not hold the lead. Cotts gave up a double to Doug Mientkiewicz. After Nate McLouth popped out, Ryan Doumit singled to right, making it 5-3.

Piniella brought in Gaudin, and LaRoche drove a 3-2 pitch out to left to tie it.

"He threw me three fastballs for balls and then two sliders for strikes so I was pretty sure he was coming with a slider unless he wanted to walkme," said LaRoche, who came to Pittsburgh from Los Angeles in the deal that sent Jason Bay to Boston and Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers before the deadline."So I was sitting on it and he just threw it right down the middle."

Zambrano allowed just three hits, struck out two and walked one while throwing just 82 pitches after going 4-1 last month.

So why the early exit? The Cubs are trying to preserve Zambrano, who threw 125 and 118 pitches in his previous two starts.

And why did he take his warmups? It was a stall tactic to give Samardzija more time in the bullpen.

"It takes him a little longer to get ready in the bullpen, and that's one of the reasons that when we bring Jeff into a ballgame it's to start aninning because we can't get him ready quick enough in between innings," manager Lou Piniella said. "He wasn't quite ready yet, so we had(Zambrano) go out there and throw seven or eight pitches and wait until we got the call that Jeff was ready to go."

Even so, it was a jarring end to another solid outing by an NL All-Star.

"In the pennant race, you have to be fresh," Zambrano said.

He allowed an unearned run in the first and a leadoff homer to Brandon Moss -- who came from Boston in the Bay trade -- in the second -- before settling down.The Cubs tied it at 2 in the bottom half and got two more runs in the fourth on consecutive doubles by Jim Edmonds, Soto and Zambrano against Pittsburghstarter Ian Snell to make it 4-2.

Aramis Ramirez led off the fifth with his 19th homer to make it 5-2.

Snell, bothered by a stiff back, allowed four runs and seven hits in four innings.

Notes: Cubs closer Kerry Wood faced batters on Sunday but probably will not return from a blister on his right index finger until later this week. Sidelinedsince July 11, Wood had hoped to return from the disabled list during Chicago's series against Houston. Instead, manager Lou Piniella said he likely willnot be activated until the Cubs host St. Louis next weekend. ... RHP Jon Lieber, on the DL with a strained right foot, will make a rehab appearance for Class APeoria on Tuesday. ... Pirates 1B Adam LaRoche, out with a rib cage injury ran before Sunday's game and could begin hitting off a tee as early asWednesday, manager John Russell said. ... IF Freddy Sanchez, who has missed the past five games with back spasms, pinch-hit on Sunday and could be back in thestarting lineup on Monday.

Cubs Win, Cardinals lose, Brewers lose, and White Sux lose !!

images

"Today was a Good Day "

happy.gif

Originally Posted by truthmain

And AJ gets knocked!

what the *+%% is knocked?

knocked down?

knocked up?

I guarantee that if Miguel Olivo was to put hands on anyone of y'all, you'd be lay in a hospital bed right now

Beanie%20Sigel01.jpg

Originally Posted by aRog27

Stringer just couldn't help himself. This is like a second home to you isn't it ?

Seriously, why are you so damn lame?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Is it baseball season that brings it out on you and do you know how embarassingly you behave yourself on this message board

Damn, its called dignity...have some

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

damn Stringer you and aRog27 fight all the time PPV match?

20 bucks on Stringer

Believe that it has come to that because if you go back a few pages....not so much a peep from me...even when the Cubs lost to the Pirates...the only timeI post in this thing is if I catch myself watching a game...I won't lie, I'll read it and quote something I find funny like FB's photoshop

but this clown just catches a final score and creeps his unwanted head into my thread

Back
Top Bottom