..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

4 GAMES UP
pimp.gif

Brewers lose again
(Joker) What happened.......did your balls fall off??? (Joker)

Good win by the cards.........SOOOOOO glad i havent had to see Izzy at all this series (Told yall it was some kind of reverse psycology, they are soo scared tolose that they score 8-9 runs so he wont have to pitch:))

Originally Posted by aRog27

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Good to see Carpenter back. i used to hate him back when we were good and fighting with the cards for the top in the division. Dude was probably the best pitcher in the game for 2 years and always killed us. but we suck, anyone can beat us now.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's good to see Carpenter back. I wish he'd retire forever and start a driveway pavement company.

I'll just say that's its "good" to see him alive and "well".

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
when you arent in the playoff race, things like that dont matter anymore
roll.gif

i was hating the announcers they were calling the game over in the 6th when we were leading 4-1. imo you dont say anything like that till the 9th with at least1 out

Hey Milwaukee what do you say, the Cubs are gonna win today!!!

The Cubs are dominating the brew crew, It looks like all of the batters are scared. I am loving this series. Plus we have a nice homestand coming up so weshould win lotsa games in the near future.

Question for St. Louis fans.....
So I heard something on the radio out here in SF today. They said the Cardinals are turning Wainwright into their closer when he returns?? Is there any truthto this? Thanks in advance.

l7eC9tXs.jpg

Dempster Delivers Stellar Outing
Cubs win 7-2 over Brewers

MILWAUKEE -- The Cubs have a little more breathing room in the National League Central.
Ryan Theriot had three hits and three RBIs, and Alfonso Soriano had three hits and scored twice to back Ryan Dempster and lead the Cubs to a 7-2 victoryWednesday night over the Milwaukee Brewers.

With the win, the Cubs opened a four-game lead over the Brewers in the Central, and they can complete a sweep with a win Thursday in the series finale.

"These guys have a good team and great pitching, and we anticipate them being there the whole year and being on our heels," Theriot said of theBrewers. "We have to continue to play well, because we know they will."

The Brewers know that, too.

"They're the better team in July," Milwaukee's Corey Hart said of the Cubs. "That doesn't make them World Champs yet."

It says a lot that the Cubs can win despite stranding 15 on the bases and having their Nos. 3-4 hitters go hitless.

"It says a lot about the guys in here," Dempster said. "The only two guys who didn't get hits were [Aramis Ramirez] and [Derrek Lee] andthat just shows you that everybody in the lineup is chipping in."

Dempster is, too. Now 12-4, the right-hander struck out nine to notch his second straight win on the road after beginning the year 0-3 in eight starts awayfrom Wrigley Field. Miller Park is 90 miles north of Chicago, and with the large contingent of Cubs fans in the raucous crowd of 44,871, it must have felt likehome. Dempster gave up five hits and one walk over seven innings.

He is making the Cubs look like geniuses for switching him from closer to starter.

"He's more relaxed," Piniella said. "He's got starting experience. He did that in the past. He's a better pitcher now than he wasthen. He's got a good split-finger, a good slider, two-seam, four-seam fastball, and he seems just more relaxed as a starter. I really felt that cominginto Spring Training he would win a spot in the rotation, and he did that quite easily, to his credit. He came in with a great frame of mind and in greatshape."

He also fooled the Brewers.

"They both come out basically the same," Hart said of Dempster's fastball and slider. "Half the time, it's too late before you decidewhat it is."

Soriano has shown this series how valuable he is on top of the Cubs' lineup. Now 6-for-12 in the three games, he singled to lead off the game, advancedon a sacrifice and stole third. Lee walked, and one out later, Soriano scored on a wild pitch by Manny Parra (9-4) on strike three to Reed Johnson. Mark DeRosamade it 2-0 with an RBI single.

"I didn't know where the ball was," Johnson said of the play. "I think I heard it hit the facing of the backstop, and I started running.I saw Prince Fielder hold up his hands and say, 'Don't throw it.' It ended up working out. Any way we can score runs, we'll take it."

Ray Durham answered in the Brewers' first, leading off with a double and scoring two outs later on a wild pitch by Dempster on an 0-2 count to Hart.

With one out in the Chicago sixth, Dempster and Soriano both singled, and both tallied on Theriot's triple to right-center to put the Cubs ahead, 4-1.Parra departed, and two batters later, Johnson hit an RBI single off Carlos Villanueva.

"It was a big hit at that point," Theriot said of his triple, "but 'Demp' threw the ball well and we felt good going into that inningwith the lead we had. He was throwing well tonight and had command of all his pitches."

The Brewers put up a fight. In the third, Parra doubled to lead off and reached third, but Dempster was able to escape. Parra then tripled with one out inthe fifth, and was stranded again.

"I tried to simplify it," Dempster said. "I tried to stay aggressive and make them get it over, get 'em in, and you find yourself in agood situation because you're ahead in the count."

The Cubs added two runs in the ninth, and Fielder connected on his 21st homer with one out in the Milwaukee ninth off Neal Cotts.

There have been no signs in this series of the offensive funk the Cubs were immediately after the All-Star break. They've been retired in order onlythree times in 27 innings in the three games.

"We're starting to swing the bat better as a team," Johnson said. "A week ago, we were talking about whether we were going to come out ofthis thing. We didn't know when it was going to be, but just the emotions and adrenaline of the series just locked us back in and got everybody swingingthe bats well."

Thursday is the Trade Deadline, but Dempster doesn't see any holes that need filling.

"I love our club -- it's cool," Dempster said. "I love everybody in here. Who knows what will happen?"

Originally Posted by dland24

So I heard something on the radio out here in SF today. They said the Cardinals are turning Wainwright into their closer when he returns?? Is there any truth to this? Thanks in advance.

Great question, but unfortunately there are no answers in the Cardinals clubhouse.

We will all know a lot more after the trade deadline expires, this is one of many options for the Cards. I'll post again on Friday.

Dempster never ceases to amaze me whenever he takes the mound. I always somewhat hesitant whenever he pitches, but he's shown that he can be a reliablepitcher.

Hopefully Harden can get some run support and his first win in Cubbie blue. He's struck out atleast 10 guys in each of his 3 starts.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Dempster never ceases to amaze me whenever he takes the mound. I always somewhat hesitant whenever he pitches, but he's shown that he can be a reliable pitcher.

I felt the same way as you when the season began. He may not be spectacular but you could make the argument that he is in the top 5 for Cy Youngcandidates. 12 wins, 2.9 ERA, 126 K. I am not predicting that he wins it, I am just saying at this point in the season he could be in the discussion.

Originally Posted by dland24

So I heard something on the radio out here in SF today. They said the Cardinals are turning Wainwright into their closer when he returns?? Is there any truth to this? Thanks in advance.

Well this is something I have been preaching for awhile. The Cardinals management should realize that having Izzy as the closer lowers team morale.Wainwright was the closer when we won it all in 06, the only reason he became a starter in 07 was because we were too cheap to go out and sign startingpitching.

Man, Cubs making sure the Brew Crew knows who is 1st in the Central. Especially now that Soriano is back and presumably healthy, I think the acquisition ofHarden and Wood coming back healthy could make the division theirs for the taking. This will make the Wild Card even more interesting.

My goodness the Brewers are being destroyed right now, Fielder just got ejected.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom