OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
I wasn't a fan until 2010. The Bulls were my squad. Mike walked, became infatuated with Phoenix and the SSOL. But throughout all the years, I had a deep respect for the Knicks.

i didn't like any other teams when I was younger, so I naturally became a fan of the home team. My first game at the Garden was a Liberty game. :rofl:
Everyone had on Iverson jerseys too for whatever reason.

Last edited:
My first sports memories were from 96. I remember Knicks/Heat and Knicks/Pacers in the playoffs more than I remember watching Knicks/Bulls as a kid and 99 is the first series I remember really well, every single round and big play.

But I do remember Jordan winning his last 3 rings, and always rooting against MJ cause he beat the Knicks and I hated how so many people loved Jordan since I was always such a huge Knicks fan. 
laugh.gif

My first sports memories were from 96. I remember Knicks/Heat and Knicks/Pacers in the playoffs more than I remember watching Knicks/Bulls as a kid and 99 is the first series I remember really well, every single round and big play.

But I do remember Jordan winning his last 3 rings, and always rooting against MJ cause he beat the Knicks and I hated how so many people loved Jordan since I was always such a huge Knicks fan. :lol:

Weren't you even a little excited when MJ almost became a Knick tho?

And who the hell got the hammer, I'm down reps for like the third time this week, but one of them was my fault tho.

Those were the days where I would look at the box score for teams in the back of the daily news paper....for some reason, looking at stats fascinated me LOL

Those were the days where I would look at the box score for teams in the back of the daily news paper....for some reason, looking at stats fascinated me LOL
roll.gif
 I was the same exact way. I was checking the box scores and **** before I was even able to read the articles.

Same here. I was obsessed with stats growing up especially when I was a Mavs nuthugger. Games when Nash had 10+ assist and Dirk with 20+ points shooting 50% from the field used to have me in stat geek heaven

Damn I used to look at newspaper box scores too :lol: I was specifically looking for Orlando Magic box scores because I wanted to know how much T-Mac had dropped.

Then I got NBATV...godsend.

Yo me too! But I was strictly Post instead of the Daily News and I always been a Knicks fan. I remember growing up to Bernard King, Kenny Sky Walker, Gerald Wilkins, Trent Tucker, Gerald Henderson and Bill Cartwright and of Course Ewing.

I was a Knick fan since the womb.

West Indian people tend to root for the home town team. And I was in there hearing games. I think my first real memory that I can remember was that 94 finals run

I still love checking box scores in the paper. Something about it is better than looking them up online.

Used to spend hours reading as much of the Sports section as I could. Keeping up with free agency was horrible befote Twitter a few years ago.

It's crazy to think how slow news moved just a decade ago.

Last edited:
Speaking of reading the sports section, I will still read the NY Papers on the weekend and I came across this article from the NY Times on Sunday that I thought was great. The league really needs to pay the D-League more. There is so much money coming in where it really wouldnt have to extend themselves too much to make a major difference in the D-League. It is a joke that these teams can only use less than $200k as a team and each player making no more than $25k. If the NBA gave these teams even a $2-5 mil budget and made contracts more closely resembling NBA minimums, it can really change the game for the better in a lot of ways. It could allow players who want to enter the NBA Draft out of high school to bypass the corrupt NBA, it would allow NBA teams to develop their own products in their own system, it would make the D-League a true minor league system and a lot more fun to watch, and it would also even better the NCAA even with a bit of a drop off in elite talent because we would go back to players staying 2+ years with their teams because the top prospects would have bypassed college for the D-League which would allow Adam Silver to institute a 2 year age limit for college players entering the NBA Draft like he wants to, and many would probably even end up staying, which would allow more college programs to develop together like they did pre 2006.

Really interesting read, highly reccommend it. It is an idea I have thought about a lot and even wrote about in the past but it was interesting to read about it now, and think about how soon it could/should be put into action, especially with the league making unreal money right now for the players and the owners, and paying the D-League more could really benefit both parties in the long run.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/sports/basketball/nba-d-league-money-tv-deal.html?_r=0
Imagine a 5 yr d GR8 writing 5 pg drafts in crayon about the Knicks possibilities in free agency 
roll.gif
laugh.gif
 Something like it

Used to be a Magic fan myself. Penny still my favorite player ever.

I actually became a Knicks fan on that fateful night in '99. That last time that we won a Finals game lol.

I was at that game. Dad got great seats from his boss who couldn't make it. People were offering us $1K for each ticket outside the Garden and he turned it down.

The energy in MSG was unexplainable for that game. Screamed so much, I couldn't talk for 2 days. After the W, the crowd spilled into the streets and the Knicks logo was shining on every building in Midtown, like the Bat signal. People started partying in the streets. It was amazing.

Still have the ticket stubs, the orange towel and all the other memorabilia from that night.

Best night of my life.

Been a loyal fan ever since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom