OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
Melo slander is the worst. I blame it all on Lebron. Melo and Lebron have handled their career decisions in an opposite manner, with Melo sticking it out with the place he wants to be through thick and thin, no matter what. Lebron, on the other hand, has no sense of loyalty and has based his career decisions on going to play for whatever team gives him the best chance of winning.

Normally, and in the past, where overcoming adversity was looked at as admirable, people would appreciate what Melo has been trying to do here. But in the NBA, winning is the name of the game. In 2010, everyone thought Lebron was a *****, but after he won his first title, all was forgiven. Because winning changes everything. Now, 3 titles later, people dont look at Lebron as someone who has consistently ran away from adversity. This is why KD chose the Warriors this season.It's because Lebron has turned winning into this black or white phenomenon, and it isnt right. Any NBA player will tell you "All I want to do is win." But there has always been a sense of pride in fighting through adversity to reach the top of the mountain. It was more than just winning.

But now, because of Lebron, the "winning is all that matters" ideal is taken to a black or white extreme. It is like, "if winning is all that matters, then prove it, and put yourself in the easiest situation for winning." It is like if a star player doesnt follow in Lebron's footsteps, and put themselves in the easiest situation to win a championship, people dont understand it and assume they dont care about winning. This is particularly true for a player like Melo on a bad team, the whole world has been brainwashed by Lebron over the past 6 years. So instead of appreciating Melo for his loyalty and perceverence, people immediately think, "well if he wants to win, why would he stay in New York on a bad team?" People no longer get that there is more to playing basketball and wanting to win than just winning. People dont understand that Melo wants to win, but he wants to win in New York. He doesnt want to abandon the goal he set out for himself when he demanded a trade here 5 years ago. Even though the rest of the world would support Melo giving up on his goal of winning a championship in NYC to join more of a "win now" operation, Melo would not be able to forgive himself, because that just is not how Melo is wired. Melo wants to win, but he wants to win one for New York. The place he was born and the place he demanded a trade to.

But because of the Lebronization of the NBA, people automatically jump to external factors. Melo cant be in New York because he wants to win, because winning is black and white, and winning would be a more realistic goal elsewhere. So if Melo really wanted to win, why would he stay in New York? So now, people turn to external factors. Melo must care all about his endorsements. His brand. His celeb wife wanting to live in the big city. Etc. Etc. Anything but winning. Because Carmelo is a throwback. He is one of the few players left who still believes in fighting adversity instead of running away from it. In overcoming obstacles instead of side stepping them. In winning in the place you want to win instead of simply winning at all cost.

These principles have become obsolete, because of Lebron. The best player in the league will always have a major effect on people's opinions. People want to root for Lebron because he is so good, and most people are front runners who want to join in on "greatness" and be a part of it, instead of resisting it. I mean I am called a "hater" all the ******* time by my friends and family because I hate Lebron for very legitimate reasons as I have explained in this post, instead of just blindly liking Lebron because he is so good. But that is how most normal people work. I cant stand it personally, but most normal people will find a way to like great athletes no matter what. Most normal people want to root for Lebron to be better than Jordan instead of saying that it cant be done. So people consistently make excuses for Lebron instead of hating on him. Which is why most people today shape their opinions based on Lebron's mindset, which completely contrasts Melo's mentality. If Melo was the best player in the NBA, people would appreciate Melo more and recognize Lebron as the adversity avoiding ***** that he is. But Lebron is the best player in the league and that is how this thing works.

This is why I think Melo is the most misunderstood player in the league today. He embodies throwback principles that no longer have a place in the NBA as other players, especially superstars, move more and more in the direction of the Lebronization. 6 years ago Lebron was KILLED for "The Decision." This summer, KD joins the Warriors. And you know what? Say what you will, but if/when KD wins his first title with the Dubs, everyone is going to forget about how hard they criticized him for joining the Dubs this summer. And that is because winning is the great equalizer. And because Lebron justified his ***** driven decisions with winning, it became accepted throughout the league and now commonplace. I respect the hell out of Melo for not falling victim to that despite multiple opportunities to do so. I respect Melo for sticking up for his ideals rather than running away from them.

The whole world and a large portion of NYC would cheer for Melo as he left and put himself on a better team. But that is just not the way Melo is wired. And that is why even as the rest of the world fails to understand Melo and criticize him unjustly, I will go to war for #7 all day.

Idk if there is anything in this world I want more than for Melo to win a championship in NYC. Because like I said earlier, winning is still the great equalizer. If/when Melo wins one here, people will finally realize what Melo has been trying to do all along. People will fin ally realize that he is one of the last real ones left. He will be treated as a God in this city and arguably the GOAT Knicks. And tbh he will have deserved it. No other superstar in this league would have rode with us over the past 5 years the way Melo has. I hope with all of my heart that he gets his redemption one of these days.

Thankfully, this team is filled up with a lot of other guys playing with a chip on their shoulder, seeking redemption for themselves. That is what I love about this team. They might not be the most talented, but we have improved a great deal, and as the players have been saying, they are all "dogs." So **** the haters. Up until recently, Melo has had a great head to head record vs Lebron. Noah is one of the few players left who will go at Lebron for being the punk *** ***** that he is. That 2013 Knicks team was set up to beat the Heat, and I feel similarly about this team and the Cavs. If this team can gel and stay healthy and get into the playoffs, and face the Cavs, anything can happen from there. Anything can happen when you put a roster full of dogs around a great scorer like Melo come crunch time. I'm excited to see what this team can do.

... **** Lebron.

Last edited:
The commentary from Noah in all these interviews makes me want to run through a wall for him. Seriously.

This should be a much more likeable squad than what we've had in recent years. Hopefully Hornacek helps it all fit, and we also get a positive step forward for the development of KP. I'd love to see a huge turnaround next season up to the point where they make their presence felt. Carry the positive vibes all the way up to around July 2017...

Congrats pr0ph.

Last edited:
Melo been the realest dude in the League, and that's why I always go to bat for him and defend him in conversations.

I'm so excited about this season. Health permitted, there are no limits!

For only 5 mill :smh:

Would've rather resigned him than give money to that Minuswhale dude.

Last edited:
congrats Proph!!

wish we couldve kept DWill. besides Melo & KP, he was my fav last year.
he was good for at least 1 oop every 2 games.
we needed those uber athletic wings. |I

I liked DWill a lot and I hope he does well in Miami.

I like the Mindaugus pickup. He's like a European DWill...always taking it to the rack, but he shoots 38% from 3 as well.

For only 5 mill
mean.gif

Would've rather resigned him than give money to that Minuswhale dude.
You havent even seen the dude play yet. Lets not make the same mistake most of yall made with Porzingis and judge the foreigner before you even watch him play. For all you know this dude might be much better than DWill.

I know what I'm getting with Dwill. He played great for us and for that price I would want him back.

I was one of the few that didnt mind drafting KP even though I still thought we needed a PG. Saw some vids of MK, I like his aggressiveness and slashing ability. I could def see him being in our rotation.

Last edited:
It seems like yesterday we were being sold on DWill being a former lottery pick. He came and played well for the money and shoed a lot of potential , sad to see him go. Dingus got to show and prove...

Never was fond of DWill. Use to wonder if we were talking about the same guy the way y'all talked about him.

Didn't like his game much. I'm sure the average can look good on the ****** team we had.

**** him.

Last edited:
DWill was cool. Nothing great; definitely replaceable.

Rather take a chance on Kuz.

Who said DWill was great :rofl: he was decent on the second unit for cheap. Dingus might be better for cheaper, I never heard of him either..

New Knicks big man Joakim Noah blocked out some time for some Q&A with Post columnist Steve Serby.

Q: Do you visualize winning championships?
A: Yes.

Q: What do you visualize in a Knicks uniform?
A: I visualize bringing the trophy to the Up & Down nightclub. Have you ever heard of Up & Down? I visualize it right in the middle of my table.

Q: What drives you?
A: I hate to lose. It bothers me, more than any fans. I hate losing. The feeling you get after winning a basketball game driving home? It’s indescribable. It’s the best feeling in the world. Even people who tell you, “I don’t care,” they’re lying. They care.

Q: What won’t you tolerate as a teammate?
A: Selfishness. It’s a plague. It plagues everything.

full interview: http://nypost.com/2016/07/09/joakim-noah-on-banning-guns-warrior-tebow-and-a-knicks-title/

Last edited:
Noah is def that throwback player that we've needed for a long time. I think he's going to be worth every dollar of that contract wether it be on the court or off the court. He's going to bring that energy that we haven't had since Sprewell and it's going to be contagious.

Back
Top Bottom