OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
Russell has star potential, Clarkson is probably best suited as a 6th man, & Randle is a walking double double.

Add Simmons/Ingram and some established NBA players & they could have a good team 3-4 years down the road.

KD isn't gonna wait 3-4 years for those guys to hopefully live up to expectation. NYC > any OTHER destination. Some might be more attractive, but XYZ would have to happen first. KD coming here even with a PG trio of Grant/Wroten/Caldo (barf) is enough to be a top 3 seed in the east. Every other team would need to make other moves for it to even make sense to leave OKC. There isn't a team in the west, that he can go to, that's better than OKC now. So why not move east? Look I'm not saying I even think he's coming here, but the idea isn't THAT far fetched.

I wasn't saying Durant should go to LA; just that they have potential to have a good, homegrown team sooner rather than later.

Durant is staying in OKC for at least 1 more season.

Last edited:
Top 5 players don't hit a rookie wall so Im not sure I wanna say KP hit the wall, maybe it was the coaching change....:smokin

Last edited:
I'm looking at splits now and people act like Russell was a completely different player second half of the year statistically. He just averaged 3 more PPG than he did the first half while posting a worse +/-. Russell shot better from 3 in the second half, but that jump from 33% to 38% really is overweighed by the anomaly of February when he shot 46% in 4 games started (10 played overall). Every time Russell's USG jumped from one month to the next, his ORtg decreased. KP had a better offensive rating overall, (second half of the year it was 1 point lower than Russell's second half) and a much better defensive rating. So yeah, you can try and slander KP like he fell off a cliff, but he still produced in line, just shot less efficiently from the perimeter because of him not having his legs under him due to the drastic jump in minutes he had from his previous season and the fact that he took a lot of bad shots second half of the year when he started chucking out of frustration.

Russells ceiling is probably 20 & 7 & 4 shooting 45% from the field and 35% from 3. OK defender

KP's ceiling is probably 23 & 10 & 2 on 48% from the field and 37% from 3. Monster defender

Who has the better chance to REALISTICALLY reach their ceiling ?

Last edited:
Probably KP while being an average defender. IDK if I was him I would have Dirk on speed-dial trying to finesse his trainer for myself.

KP is already an above average defender though. His only issue on the defensive end like most rookies is staying out of foul trouble.

Last edited:
Russells ceiling is probably 20 & 7 & 4 shooting 45% from the field and 35% from 3. OK defender

KP's ceiling is probably 23 & 10 & 2 on 48% from the field and 37% from 3. Monster defender

Who has the better chance to REALISTICALLY reach their ceiling ?

Russell shot 35% from 3 first year...

I'm looking at splits now and people act like Russell was a completely different player second half of the year statistically. He just averaged 3 more PPG than he did the first half while posting a worse +/-. Russell shot better from 3 in the second half, but that jump from 33% to 38% really is overweighed by the anomaly of February when he shot 46% in 4 games started (10 played overall). Every time Russell's USG jumped from one month to the next, his ORtg decreased. KP had a better offensive rating overall, (second half of the year it was 1 point lower than Russell's second half) and a much better defensive rating. So yeah, you can try and slander KP like he fell off a cliff, but he still produced in line, just shot less efficiently from the perimeter because of him not having his legs under him due to the drastic jump in minutes he had from his previous season and the fact that he took a lot of bad shots second half of the year when he started chucking out of frustration.

Was 35.5% if you completely ignore February, and go January, March & April.

Expand the February into Mid March then. That gives you 18 games... He was 45%/42%. 40% from 3 the first half of March. 35% from 3 the last half of January.

Also recognize the team he was on... What were you expecting him to jump 8-9 PPG on a team with Kobe, Lou Williams, Nick Young? That's before you even get to Jordan Clarkson.

Also ORtg & DRtg are singular stats of course. But factor in the entire team performance into them as well.. When you're on the court with Lou Will or Clarkson at the 2, Kobe at the 3, Randle at the 4, and Hibbert (who is no longer anywhere near the defender he was) & Bass (who is not a 5).... And Byron Scott as the coach.... What do you expect from that? The lowest DRtg was a 108.

With the exception of Clarkson, somewhat, not a single guy on that floor is providing Russell with what a PG does... Get assists. Lou & Kobe don't catch and shoot. Hibbert is an inefficient offensive player. Randle doesn't have the mid range shot currently to catch and shoot, or get the ball in P&P or P&R with Hibbert standing by the hoop. He's a get the ball, jab step, drive and power it in guy.

And it's not even slandering Kristaps. I've said numerous times, that their seasons are right there with each other. 2/3. Regardless of where you put them, is a matter of preference.

But now I've heard minutes, coach, taking bad shots.. All that deflect. That's good for Kristaps.

Russell had an even worse situation with his coach, he didn't go out chucking. He had to watch Kobe shoot it 17-18 times a game at 35%, but noooooooooooooo that didn't impact his game at all

Give me a break

Which means he's gonna shoot 45% this year.

No what it means is it's foolish to project him as a 35% 3point shooter, when he just shot 35% from 3. Coming into the league skinny, no power.

And spent a few months missing 3s short. Like many college prospects do in the pros when they first come in.

Basically what you're saying is he's already maxed out as a 3point shooter... Correct?

We can't blame Kobe anymore

We can't blame Scott anymore

We can't blame the snitching situation anymore

We can't blame Kylie Jenner anymore

We can't blame the cornrows and fade anymore

I'm fully expecting superstar DLo to put up 20 & 8 & 4 on 50% from the field and 40% from 3 your sake at least. The caping for this dude is out of control

No one in the history of the NBA has shot 35% from 3 for their rookie season and hovered around that number for their whole career.

We can't blame Kobe anymore

We can't blame Scott anymore

We can't blame the snitching situation anymore

We can't blame Kylie Jenner anymore

We can't blame the cornrows and fade anymore

I'm fully expecting superstar DLo to put up 20 & 8 & 4 on 50% from the field and 40% from 3 your sake at least. The caping for this dude is out of control

Correct, you can't blame the first 2 things anymore. Last 3 things are irrelevant.

But Russell is the only person whose situation on the court, and team on the court cannot impact his play? That's not possible right?

And as for what he puts up next year. He can put up the same damn stats with slight improvement, and I'd be fine. That's what young players do, and for the most part have always done.

My caping is out of control.... But a team with Melo & Top 5 KP, that finished 13th in the conference. 12 games from the playoffs. Is the best place for KD to go. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. You have your superstar, and were out of the playoff race with weeks left to go.

Not to mention Melo doesn't even fit with KD.

Hell I didn't even say the Lakers were the best landing spot either because they are not. My original point was, even with rebuilding. They're rebuilding with a copious amount of cap space. Which gives them the ability to rebuild, and put the names there. That's a pretty big distinction. It's not like they have $30mil in cap space, and all they could do is sign KD and that's it. It's $60mil. $20mil again in 2017. So what you expect to be 3-4 years. Is not if KD chose the Lakers (for however unlikely that is).

Last edited:
Why doesn't Melo fit? He's a small ball 4 who's shown a willingness to be unselfish and distribute the ball. The only issue the Knicks have is their nonexistent back court.
The problem with the cap space is only one great player that can make a difference being worth it this year. So do the Lakers sit on it for a year, or do they spend it on 2nd and 3rd tier players?

Last edited:
Russell will be better with Walton there and more opportunities with Kobe gone. Gotta pair him up with a defensive SG though.

Why doesn't Melo fit? He's a small ball 4 who's shown a willingness to be unselfish and distribute the ball. The only issue the Knicks have is their nonexistent back court.
The problem with the cap space is only one great player that can make a difference being worth it this year. So do the Lakers sit on it for a year, or do they spend it on 2nd and 3rd tier players?

Moves KP to the 5, when he may not be ready just yet for it.. Increase in offensive production, but increase in lack of defensive production.

As for cap space............. It isn't about just putting Superstars on a team. As a Laker fan, and seeing that 2012-13 **** show, it doesn't work like that. You have to build a team that works.

Back
Top Bottom