OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
Oh I'm not even trying to pull his card.. JRS is that dude.

That whole 40 pages or so leading up to the draft and afterwards is gold.

Solid gold.

I go back and read it randomly and it's hilarious.

He was just ADAMENT that Porzingis was going to need 2-3 years and Mudiay would step in and be a baller from day 1. It was a foregone conclusion 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I'm open to anything that makes the team better and if a good package comes along great but there really isn't a GM dumber than Billy King and he has no assets for us :lol:
Ah yes.. JRS.. the level headed and rational Knicks fan.. let's follow his lead

Meanwhile... Mudiay 11, 6, 3.6 with 4 turnovers a game, shooting 31% from the field and 26% from 3.. oh and 67% from 3 because **** it

I know he's come around on Porzingis so that's not my point :lol:  it was just funny seeing JRS talk about people not making any sense after his ALL IN on the Porzingis hate train :rofl:

As far as Melo.. it is what it is. I would have much preferred we part ways, get what we could for him, and do a real rebuild. But we kept him so here we are. I still don't know how we compete right now, the only hope is Melo ages gracefully enough, Porzingis emerges, and we find some way to get it done in a couple years. I wouldn't be against letting Melo go and try to find a team where he can win now, but I'm not holding my breath. We're stuck with him so that's all there is to it. I don't think we get enough of a return on trading him to make it worth it... but maybe you take the loss on that trade just to move on and go your separate ways.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But yea, JRS can't criticize us talking "Melo & Trades" or "Severing ties with Melo", that was kind of a crazy assertion Johnny boy! :lol:

In actuality - NO ONE should criticize those who are proposing possible Melo trades or parting ways from him - it should be common "Basketball Sense" right now. It's becoming reality, and if we don't make the playoffs - it's going to happen. Gotta deal with it Melo fans.

BigJ, agree with everything you said concerning the Melo situation - but I'm sure you already know that, for some years now :lol:

Last edited:
#firefisher

New Berman clickbait

Give Phil Jackson an A-plus for picking the 7-3 Latvian Kristaps Porzingis fourth in the draft. It’s a grand-slam home run and Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said after Monday’s win over the Knicks other teams “didn’t have the balls to pull the trigger for that one.’’

But there’s seven other new additions to the roster who haven’t worked out nearly as fine – including six free-agent signings. Here’s the not-so-glamorous grades on Jackson’s other summer moves with the Knicks at 10-12, losers of six of eight, having fallen to 12th place in the Eastern Conference.

C: Robin Lopez: The former Blazer’s activity level has diminished in recent games, especially during the current two-game losing streak. Against Dallas, Knicks coach Derek Fisher played him just 15:41. Unsolicited, Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki noted after the game Monday the Knicks most feared lineup is when Lopez is out, Porzingis moves to center and Lance Thomas comes in, stationed in the corner to spread the floor.

Lopez has had sore knees for years and could be in the middle of a bad stretch. Lopez’s numbers rarely tell the story of this lunchpail defender – 24 mpg, 7.1 ppg, 5.7 rpg on 45.2 percent shooting. But the 7-foot center’s rebounding output should be better. And since he has no range, Lopez needs to sink more of his low-post shots since he’s getting really good looks close to the basket. Fisher has credited Lopez most for easing Porzingis’ transition and allowing him to get boards while “RoLo’’ boxes out his man. Certainly, Jackson overpaid at four years, $54 million but he had cap space to give away. Grade: C

SG: Arron Afflalo: After missing almost all of training camp and the first eight games with a hamstring, he’s been their best free-agent signing with a reasonable two-year, $16 million contract, considering how much they depend on him. He had his quietest night vs. Dallas (six points, 2 of 6), which his perhaps why the Knicks fell behind by 23 points in the third. After an off year in 2014-15 with Denver/Portland, he’s become very reliable in averaging 13 ppg with a 47.2 FG percentage. He creates his own shot and has become a third scoring threat after Anthony and Porzingis. Afflalo has an opt-out clause after the season, though. Grade: B-plus

PG: Jerian Grant: Considering Tim Hardaway Jr. is completely buried in Atlanta, and was even sent to the D-League for several days, the draft-night trade still looks golden. As the 19th pick, Grant has a chance to become the Knicks starting point guard next season if they work a stretch provision on Jose Calderon. Grant, 23, does everything well for a point guard except shoot from distance. He pushes the pace and can run an offense. But his 39.6 shooting percentage – 17.4 from 3-point land – has hurt the team’s bench production. Grade: B

C: Kevin Seraphin: Had a very slow start to his Knicks career with a sore right knee in training camp and being buried on the bench. But in recent weeks, the Frenchman has stolen the minutes from Kyle O’Quinn because he’s been livelier on defense. Fisher has always liked Seraphin’s ability to make shots – from the low post or mid-range – and he’s a surprisingly deft passer, but his shooting percentage has dropped to 41.4. The Knicks also have an overload of big men and the $2.8M room exception could have been better used on last season’s backcourt sniper, Alexey Shved. Shved’s agents say he would have accepted the room exception and not gone to Russia. Grade: C-plus.

PF: Kyle O’Quinn: Maybe O’Quinn’s defense slipped a notch but Fisher has made the tough decision to bury the rugged Queens power forward who they signed to a four-year, $16 million deal. O’Quinn has three straight DNPs and five for the season. O’Quinn occasionally takes an ill-timed shot or makes a poorly conceived pass but he gave the Knicks a big lift in preseason and early on. Fisher has tried to slim the rotation to 10 and O’Quinn was the major casualty. In total he’s played seven minutes in the past five games. With the Knicks scuffling, Fisher may turn O’Quinn’s way on this upcoming three-game road trip that starts in Utah Wednesday, the coach admitting the club has gone “stagnant.’’ Grade: C-minus

SF-PF Derrick Williams: The former King/Timberwolve has indicated he’s not pleased with his reduced minutes either as his play became more erratic after being a gangbuster off the bench in preseason and the first few games. Williams seems better with more minutes because he still needs to play through his mistakes. Occasionally out of position in the triangle, Williams’ 3-point field goal percentage has dropped to 26 percent. But they need Williams more than ever to help the bench crew now that Langston Galloway has fallen into a major shooting slump. Jackson signed Williams to a for two years and nearly $10m million and the shocking contract could prevent the Knicks from having cap space for a fullblown maximum pact this July. Grade: C

SG: Sasha Vujacic: The Slovenian recently cut his long hair but his luck hasn’t changed. Jackson took a gamble that the former Laker’s four-year NBA absence would not be an issue. After a nice training camp, Vujacic can’t find his outside shot – his most appealing attribute. After being inserted as starting shooting guard to open the season because of Afflalo’s injury, he’s fallen off the map as a DNP victim. His shooting percentages rank among the very bottom in the league – 26.1, 14.7 from 3-point land. Vujacic signed for the veteran’s minimum – a move that let Jackson feel good about losing Shved to Europe. Grade: D-minus.

And u deff delivered fam :lol:

Even tho he technically didn't deliver the lulz last night because he didn't say anything, he still delivered the lulz... :lol:

Only NT legends are capable of accomplishing such things :lol:

pr0phecy718 pr0phecy718 I was asking where you were because I haven't seen a thread update or a poll update since before the season started and I'm not here everyday. You're slippin as the thread guy bro!! :lol:

A great and serious poll question regarding Melo would be great right about now. Have you just given up on the NYK thread? :lol:

Last edited:
I'll play along with the shenanigans with some realistic trade ideas that work financially with places Melo may agree to go to:

Melo to the Clippers for Reddick, Lance, Jamal Crawford, 2 first rounders (which will probably be late firsts unless they're 5 years from now)

Melo to the Heat for Deng, Birdman, Haslem, Winslow

Melo to the Lakers for Nick Young, Roy Hibbert and hopefully a first rounder which will probably be lottery protected.

Melo to the Wizards for Nene, Otto Porter Jr., Sessions

Do any of these trades make us a better team?

I'll play along with the shenanigans with some realistic trade ideas that work financially with places Melo may agree to go to:

Melo to the Clippers for Reddick, Lance, Jamal Crawford, 2 first rounders (which will probably be late firsts unless they're 5 years from now)

Melo to the Lakers for Nick Young, Roy Hibbert and hopefully a first rounder which will probably be lottery protected.

If anything these scenarios made me sad.

You're still missing the point Johnny, No one arguing for Melo to be traded is under the impression that it will make us a better team right now. They just think (correct me if I'm wrong) like I and Big J just said, it'd give us a chance to properly rebuild this team going forward by A) Getting Melo out of the way. B) Hopefully getting future draft picks.

For example, I brought up the notion of teams last page who unrealistically think they can win now (like Brooklyn did two seasons ago), one of those teams would be Houston. Their GM, Darrel Morey is an impulsive GM, he trades for right now. If you can package a deal for expiring contracts and get future 1st rounders from Houston (I think the Rocket are on the verge of imploding within a couple years), we can have the potential to get some good draft picks in successive years.

Thats just one example, but it's not about trading Melo to be contenders today, thats not going to happen. It'd be about properly rebuilding, getting picks, getting cap space, and building around KP.

Last edited:
like they did because of Kobe, could big free agents stay away from the Knicks because of Melo.....

Melo has a good relationship with a lot of NBA stars cause of playing USA ball & endorsements

if we finish .500 while playing competitive basketball i think we'll have a shot at some top tier guys. not saying we're getting KD, Horford, etc. but they'll at least consider us.

I know Melo is cool with a lot of them off court. But there is a possibility behind closed doors Star players don't want to play with him. Amare even took a shot at him. Other than that what Star players have ever played with Melo?

I know Melo is cool with a lot of them off court. But there is a possibility behind closed doors Star players don't want to play with him. Amare even took a shot at him. Other than that what Star players have ever played with Melo?
When was his team ever in a position to get a star?

Lamarcus Aldridge, Deandre Jordan just off the top of my head. And I know Aldrige said its because he didn't want to play center but was that the real reason.

LMA didn't wanna play center like you said & DeAndre had 2 better situations on the table with equal money.

Tobias & Melo is a weird fit & i don't believe Monroe was ever really an option tbh. it was mostly the media (Isola) pushing him here. remember when David West was "a lock" to be a Knick?

Last edited:
Let's see what makes more sense, going to teams that were in the playoffs with talented rosters or going to a team that had one player and 11 question marks.

Back
Top Bottom