OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
Just a scenario. If the Knicks just came off a 17 win season with Lebron not playing most of the season because of injury and we had the number 4 pick with Lebron coming back healthy. You're telling me we wouldn't have gotten a big free agent.

The thing is Lebron has players begging to play with him so does Duncan, Westbrook, Wade and a few others and you see they make it happen. In reality no one really wants to play with Melo or Kobe anymore so they have teams that are patched together.

Nobody cares about Duncan they care about the coaching staff and management that has made that team a dynasty. Duncan hasn't been relevant in years.

And truthfully the only reason we re signed Melo was for revenue. Who would we have to Market and who would put Fans in the seats. The Knicks felt they had to sign Melo just for those purposes. The league has seen enough from Melo to know he is not "the guy" and they know they can't build a contender around him. We were put in a position where we had to resign him, if not just for revenue purposes.

Last edited:
Last time I checked when lebron couldn't get a big free agent to come to cle, so he had to bounce to Miami or does that not count.

You don't think if Lebron stayed in Cleveland big free agents wouldn't come, cmon. I'm beginning to think Melo has some of you on his payroll.

Carmelo: Refs snub me because I'm too strong to flop

SALT LAKE CITY — A candid Carmelo Anthony explained his recent frustrations at not getting enough foul calls, saying he’s been told by referees he’s the most “difficult player’’ to officiate and vowing he will never flop.

Anthony, who has received a technical foul in two straight games, is in a five-game slump with his shooting percentage dipping to 40.6 percent on the season. He admitted his wife, La La, chastised him for yelling at female referee Lauren Holtkamp in Monday’s loss to the Mavericks.

“They just tell me I’m the most difficult player to referee in the NBA,’’ Anthony said at the morning shootaround in Utah. “I’ve heard that a couple of times. It’s unclear on who is creating the contact. My goal is to go to the basket. If I’m creating the contact going toward the basket [and] I get hit, it’s a foul.’’

Anthony is one of the most physical drivers in the game, but said he feels he’s recently not being effective because he’s not getting to the free-throw line.

I always get fouled,’’ Anthony said. “That’s what’s frustrating me. You play so hard, work so hard and don’t benefit from that. You look at other guys, you touch them and look at them wrong and get fouls. It’s a frustrating thing for me as a guy who likes to go to the basket, play in the paint. I like to play physical. It’s frustrating.

“I’m human,’’ Anthony added. “Those frustrations kick in at times, especially when you’re down there banging and know you’re getting banged on. I don’t know what else to do. I don’t know how to play another way.’’

So does he need to sell the foul more?

“See, I don’t know how to flop, that’s the thing,” Anthony said. “Nowadays guys know how to flop, get hit and put their head back. I don’t know how to flop. I won’t even look right trying to do that. I won’t even feel right trying it.

“A lot of times I get hit and I still continue to get to my spots just because I’m big and strong. A lot of guys get hit and they stop. I’m not saying they’re flopping, but they’re lighter than me. I can take a lot more physicality.”

Anthony’s extended remarks put him at risk of drawing a fine from the NBA. The league frowns on players criticizing the officiating.

But it’s not just the whistles. Anthony still believes he’s not in full groove after shutting down last season in February to undergo knee surgery and not getting on the court until August.

“The looks are there,’’ Anthony said. “Some days the rhythm is there, some days it’s not. It’s me staying in the gym finding that rhythm. Some nights they go in, some nights they don’t. There’s weeks it’s been back and games it’s not back. As a competitor, I get frustrated because I know I put so much work on those parts of my game, and when it doesn’t work out, I beat myself up.’’

The Knicks have lost six of their past eight games, and Derek Fisher has upped the level of urgency, staging a 70-minute morning shootaround after complaining of lack of practice time.

“We have to start looking at things and tightening up,’’ Anthony said. “The only time you can do that is in practice. When you don’t have that practice time, you start thinking about that. But now we got to go with it and got to get better in the games and use that as the experience and figure it out on the fly, too.’’

Anthony said the Knicks have held players meetings, and unlike heated ones in the past, these have gone smoothly.

“There’s no egos on this team,’’ Anthony said.
http://bit.ly/1OTQ1Fi​

That's not the first time I've heard referees saying it's difficult to decipher who initiated the contact, regarding Melo.

I think even broadcasters mentioned the same thing (JVG comes to mind). What it could boil down to is Melo having a reputation for being difficult to officiate, so the other refs go by that. Humans are creatures of habit and trends. You're used to officiating a player a certain way, it's very difficult to change that. Something drastic (i.e. flopping) has to happen for them to visually see a difference and make calls that wouldn't normal make.

It is what it is. At least Porzinges gets to the line often :lol:

Last edited:
[QUOTE url="[URL]http://nypost.com/2015/12/09/why-carmelo-anthony-is-starting-to-get-frustrated-again/[/URL]"]
 Carmelo: Refs snub me because I'm too strong to flop

SALT LAKE CITY — A candid Carmelo Anthony explained his recent frustrations at not getting enough foul calls, saying he’s been told by referees he’s the most “difficult player’’ to officiate and vowing he will never flop.

Anthony, who has received a technical foul in two straight games, is in a five-game slump with his shooting percentage dipping to 40.6 percent on the season. He admitted his wife, La La, chastised him for yelling at female referee Lauren Holtkamp in Monday’s loss to the Mavericks.

“They just tell me I’m the most difficult player to referee in the NBA,’’ Anthony said at the morning shootaround in Utah. “I’ve heard that a couple of times. It’s unclear on who is creating the contact. My goal is to go to the basket. If I’m creating the contact going toward the basket [and] I get hit, it’s a foul.’’

Anthony is one of the most physical drivers in the game, but said he feels he’s recently not being effective because he’s not getting to the free-throw line.

I always get fouled,’’ Anthony said. “That’s what’s frustrating me. You play so hard, work so hard and don’t benefit from that. You look at other guys, you touch them and look at them wrong and get fouls. It’s a frustrating thing for me as a guy who likes to go to the basket, play in the paint. I like to play physical. It’s frustrating.

“I’m human,’’ Anthony added. “Those frustrations kick in at times, especially when you’re down there banging and know you’re getting banged on. I don’t know what else to do. I don’t know how to play another way.’’

So does he need to sell the foul more?

“See, I don’t know how to flop, that’s the thing,” Anthony said. “Nowadays guys know how to flop, get hit and put their head back. I don’t know how to flop. I won’t even look right trying to do that. I won’t even feel right trying it.

“A lot of times I get hit and I still continue to get to my spots just because I’m big and strong. A lot of guys get hit and they stop. I’m not saying they’re flopping, but they’re lighter than me. I can take a lot more physicality.”

Anthony’s extended remarks put him at risk of drawing a fine from the NBA. The league frowns on players criticizing the officiating.

But it’s not just the whistles. Anthony still believes he’s not in full groove after shutting down last season in February to undergo knee surgery and not getting on the court until August.

“The looks are there,’’ Anthony said. “Some days the rhythm is there, some days it’s not. It’s me staying in the gym finding that rhythm. Some nights they go in, some nights they don’t. There’s weeks it’s been back and games it’s not back. As a competitor, I get frustrated because I know I put so much work on those parts of my game, and when it doesn’t work out, I beat myself up.’’

The Knicks have lost six of their past eight games, and Derekhttp://nypost.com/2015/12/09/why-carmelo-anthony-is-starting-to-get-frustrated-again/Fisherhttp://nypost.com/2015/12/09/why-carmelo-anthony-is-starting-to-get-frustrated-again/hashttp://nypost.com/2015/12/09/why-carmelo-anthony-is-starting-to-get-frustrated-again/uppedhttp://nypost.com/2015/12/09/why-carmelo-anthony-is-starting-to-get-frustrated-again/thehttp://nypost.com/2015/12/09/why-carmelo-anthony-is-starting-to-get-frustrated-again/level of urgency, staging a 70-minute morning shootaround after complaining of lack of practice time.

“We have to start looking at things and tightening up,’’ Anthony said. “The only time you can do that is in practice. When you don’t have that practice time, you start thinking about that. But now we got to go with it and got to get better in the games and use that as the experience and figure it out on the fly, too.’’

Anthony said the Knicks have held players meetings, and unlike heated ones in the past, these have gone smoothly.

“There’s no egos on this team,’’ Anthony said.

http://bit.ly/1OTQ1Fi​
[/quote]

Bout time he spoke up on it

Last edited:
Speaking of flopping. You guys ever notice players like LeBron and CP3 "teach" or maybe "encourage" their teammates to flop? JR Smith comes to mind. When he was with us, he wouldn't flop, infact he actually was caught on the wrong end of flopping. But now that he's on the Cavs, I must've seen him flop at least 4-5 times since last year.

You got to have respect for a guy like Melo. They don't make players like him anymore. It's just a damn shame he'll be at the tail end of this career when the Knicks actually become contenders.

i love that Melo doesn't flop, hate that he doesn't get calls because of it.

If we actually owned our pick then trading Melo might've been the right move. We'll have the opportunity, any of these options will make us better.

1. Trade for Rubio
2. Sign Conley
3. Sign Noah or Horford

Last edited:
If we actually owned our pick then trading Melo might've been the right move.

Is it possible to trade for Rubio this season and sign Horford or Noah in the offseason?

How does Horford or Noah make sense? We have Robin Lopez for another 3 years.

S/T? Robin Lopez is the first Knick out. Its clear that he's either hurt or doesnt fit.

Last edited:
yeah Utah's a good team, almost beaf GS the other night

Gobert's out but it's still a tough game

Last edited:
Man Melo better learn. We can talk that respect stuff all we want but eff it man go get those free throws. Flop if you got to.

Back
Top Bottom