**Official '11 NYK LOCKOUT thread*** lockout over

Originally Posted by DubA169

lol puffy i'm trying my best to give dantoni props

prisoner of the moment I know, but we cannot go the 3rd max route
Somewhere Chris Paul gently weeps.

word i'm sure everyone in here plays GM from their computer every now and then, but i don't know if CP3/Deron Williams is the final piece that we need. I also don't know if Dwight is the answer either. it seems like the "easy" way as opposed to trying to use the money to plug in the right role players. I guess we'll be able to make a better assessment after the playoffs as to what we need and what our main holes/match up problems are. the thing with trying the big 3 experiment is that if it fails melo/stat/d12/cp3/dwill can all basically be used as assets to obtain any role players in a trade to fill in every possible hole that you have. whereas if you sign a bunch of lower/mid-level FAs it would be much more difficult to wheel and deal to get what you feel are the right pieces.

i mean just look at what denver turned melo into. 2 young wing players and a PG that were capable of starting for a playoff team, a young athletic big man, and (indirectly) a prospect in AR. and that was with melo on an expiring contract.

IMO you would take Dwight and don't give it a second thought. he instantly makes any team a good to great defensive team. (i dont think he's a realistic option anyway. never lived in a cold weather city, one foot out the door to LA, etc)

now the PG's...I'd rather trust Donnie to spend the money elsewhere.

^cosign on D12. I'm a huge fan of D12, and i feel like he'd really mature being here IMO. That frontline would be
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

We can have rayray sign with us on the low.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Amar'e works from the ft line extended though, face up, and go to work. He doesn't really operate in the low post, but he gets there. If there was a young Ben Wallace out there (with bigger hands), he'd be priority #1. Not a max guy, but perhaps the key to a championship, and we can continue to shore up other shortcomings like depth.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I don't see how Dwight AND Amare can exist in the low post.
I always saw more of a problem with Melo and Amar'e since their game is in the mid range and closer but they've worked that out fine along with the changed offense. Dwight isn't a spot up shooter nor does he drive in the post. All he does is post up with his vast arsenal of post up moves and catch alleys.

I can see Dwight with the ball deep in the paint and when he's doubled passing it out to an open Amar'e at the top of the key or on the wing similar how he would kick it out to a 3pt shooter. If Dwight's passing gets better he can catch Amar'e cutting in the lane for the dunk. I can see Dwight catching alleys from STAT, and with his rebounding he'll be cleaning up all missed Knicks shots. STAT's game is no longer just in the low post.

I can see it work.

I will say if Dwight shows any sings of wanting to be a Knick and we can make it work we sign him. Just in his case though cuz with an anchor like him we won't have any problems similar to Maimi's. With two offensive guys and a guy who excels offensively and defensively I don't see problems with finishing games.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I don't see how Dwight AND Amare can exist in the low post.

seriously. Thats why im not even considering Dwight a possibility and am hoping for CP3

On the low...

we're sneakin in on that 5th spot..

ATL lost 3 in a row - 37- 27
We're on a 3win streak - 33-29

CP3 is looking down and out. I'd prefer Deron over him.
Originally Posted by Super Producer J

If that happens, Knicks v Magic it looks like.

I don't like it one bit.
Me either. I'd be fine with us slipping in the 7th spot now and facing MIA in the first round and won't mind if they slip out of 2nd in to the 3rd seed and we see Chi 1st round.

I don't like it one bit.
Kevin McHale disagrees:

Of the top teams in the Eastern Conference, which would the Knicks match up best against?

“I would say probably they might match up best with Orlando. Watching Orlando and just seeing them play and where they’re at, Orlando can go through some periods where they get funky offensively and I think the Knicks could pressure them offensively. Against the Bulls, they would struggle. I think the Bulls interior defense is really good. Derrick Rose is such an explosive point guard that he would give Chauncey problems. It would be interesting to see what happens with Miami on this stretch. I thought they were past their problems. But no one’s going to want to play the New York Knicks in a playoff series. When you have Amar’e, Carmelo and Chauncey on one team, they’re capable of beating anybody.

honestly we're better in the 6th/7th. id rather go through mia (7 homes games
laugh.gif
) and chi as opposed to orlando (we have no answer for dwight) and boston. either way it would be tough, but if we're playing for matchups imo we're fine where we are.

I understand McHale's reasoning but 7 games against them, I don't like it unless we have a way to get Dwight in foul trouble constantly. I don't think Jeffries makes much of a difference.

Offensively I think we can definitely pressure them and if we mix it up with zone and man to man like we've been doing we can limit the wings penetration but I wouldn't want that match up.

However, knocking them out in the 1st round would assure everybody that Dwight's leaving
laugh.gif

We haven't seen what Shelden Williams can do (if anything) to Dwight. I just remember Shawne getting disrespected last time we played them, although he didn't shy away from the challenge. Dwight was on pace for another 40 point game but the team went away from him in the 2nd half. With Chi, yes, Rose will abuse Billups & Douglas, but at the other end of the floor, the same will happen as well. Miami, we match up very well with them. We are strong where they are weak. Of course, as mentioned, things change in a 7 game series, so anything can happen with any of the teams we face.

All this talk barring a cataclysmic collapse out of the playoff race.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

honestly we're better in the 6th/7th. id rather go through mia (7 homes games
laugh.gif
) and chi as opposed to orlando (we have no answer for dwight) and boston. either way it would be tough, but if we're playing for matchups imo we're fine where we are.

i agree with this, although i think NYK can beat Orlando

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

pass on 3 stars , mia spoiled that for me

Truth. That whole "big 3" crap is overrated. If we can somehow get our hands on a nice young PG, and a nice cast of defensive minded role players -well be straight.

We have an excellent perimeter and mid range game.. I think D12 would be just the right interior offense/defense presence we need.. we'd be unstoppage.. but as the playoff picture, I'm looking forward to any team.. but I'd rather stay in 6 and possibly play the slumping heat.

On a side note.. I just wanna point out how epic this thread has been. I mean really, about to hit that 1000 page mark.. we have tripled the lakes team thread wow
smile.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

i really wish we kept felton

yes i said that
confused-roper1-o.gif

I don't like it one bit.

I looked at the schedules for Orlando and Miami and the current standings and I think we can end up at 5 and face the Heat at 4.

Heat got 10 of 18 against teams over .500 and has been struggling.

Orlando has been player better and has 7 of 18 against teams over .500. And the schedule is a lot easier then Miami's in April.

With the Hawks struggling, they have 11 of 18 against teams over .500. I see them limping into the playoffs.

Knicks have 9 of 20 against teams over .500. And are progressively getting better on defense.

well put it this way...if we decided not to get a 3rd superstar and we chose to  just fill out the team with a decent supporting cast...who would be our pg?
Hypothetically speaking:
Chauncey is a good acquisition but as far as long term goes, who are we going to go after when Billups calls it quits and we can't get Deron or CP3?

its funny how the miami thing changed our minds about getting a 3rd superstar but really who should we be going after if we go that route?

Back
Top Bottom