Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

So, ya'll laughing at the fact that I said OKC could've drafted better outside of Durant being handed to them? Or ya'll laughing at the fact that I said Memphis was going after AI or VC?
laugh.gif

I don't understand why ya'll give me a hard time. Its not like I'm downing them or something.
laugh.gif

I'm
laugh.gif
-ing because about every 30 pages you get into some kind of debate where you defend yourself against everyone. Like clockwork.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

So, ya'll laughing at the fact that I said OKC could've drafted better outside of Durant being handed to them? Or ya'll laughing at the fact that I said Memphis was going after AI or VC?
laugh.gif

I don't understand why ya'll give me a hard time. Its not like I'm downing them or something.
laugh.gif

I don't agree with Brewer over Green but you can certainly make a case for Noah. The same for Lopez over Westbrook. And you can definitely make a case for Curry over Harden. I don't see what is outlandish at all.

His homerism always gets him in trouble. i remember in the off season how he was saying OKC wouldnt make the playoffs, and that he'd be surprised if they even have a better record then them
laugh.gif

And true, you can make a case for Lopez over Westbrook, but everyone was staying away from him due to his knees and no one wanted to risk it. of course your frontcourt would be significantly better if you draft a center, but think about their backcourt would be like right now. its all hypothetical.

Originally Posted by BangDak

His homerism always gets him in trouble. i remember in the off season how he was saying OKC wouldnt make the playoffs, and that he'd be surprised if they even have a better record then them
laugh.gif

And true, you can make a case for Lopez over Westbrook, but everyone was staying away from him due to his knees and no one wanted to risk it. of course your frontcourt would be significantly better if you draft a center, but think about their backcourt would be like right now. its all hypothetical.
I wasn't using my homerism in this argument though.
laugh.gif
And there were plenty of people who didn't think OKC would make the playoffs. They thought they would be good, but not in the playoffs.

I've already told you who he could've taken. Give me Durant / Brewer or Noah in 2007. Give me Lopez in 2008. Give me Curry in 2009. Its not like there wasn't a big debate on who they should take during the 2008 draft anyway. As a matter of fact, give me Noah in 2007. Durant was more than likely gonna be a SF in the league anyway, so why not build on your frontline? In 2008, Westbrook was a good pick. I still give him that, but how about having your frontline set by getting Love or Lopez? Once that's done, you know your only piece to add is a PG in a PG heavy draft. If Green ends up being the odd man out anyway to bring in a big man (maybe in a sign and trade), then it all goes back to those drafts.

I'm not knocking who he drafted because he did a good job, but would we be sitting here talking about them needing to add a legitimate big this off-season if they would've made those moves? I don't think so. Not only would they probably been just as good as they are now, but they would've been set for years without having to make any moves to their starting five. Just saying.
If they draft Love or Lopez instead of Russ, we're sitting here talking about them needing to find a PG... If they draft Corey Brewer instead of Green, we're talking about them needing to find an upgrade at SG because Corey Brewer wouldn't start for damn near any playoff team.

You're nitpicking. Plain and simple.

Celtics guard Ray Allen, a veteran of 13 seasons, remembers a time when a well-placed elbow was commonplace in the NBA.

Before Tuesday night's Game 2 between the Celtics and Heat in Boston the veteran commented on the difference in the game today.

"The league is a lot softer," Allen said less than 72 hours after teammate Kevin Garnett elbowed Miami's Quentin Richardson in the final moments of Game 1.

Garnett was suspended one game for his actions in Boston's victory.

"The slightest little touch and you're at the foul line," Allen said of today's game. "It's like you have to be tricky."

Allen then gave a perfect example of how the NBA has changed over the course of his career.

"Reggie [Miller] would grab my hands and throw them one way while going the other way," he said, adding that he was expected by referees and coaches to defend such a move.

"That's what made guys so great at what they did."

Read more: RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Allen: The NBA Is A Lot Softer Now

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I've already told you who he could've taken. Give me Durant / Brewer or Noah in 2007. Give me Lopez in 2008. Give me Curry in 2009. Its not like there wasn't a big debate on who they should take during the 2008 draft anyway. As a matter of fact, give me Noah in 2007. Durant was more than likely gonna be a SF in the league anyway, so why not build on your frontline? In 2008, Westbrook was a good pick. I still give him that, but how about having your frontline set by getting Love or Lopez? Once that's done, you know your only piece to add is a PG in a PG heavy draft. If Green ends up being the odd man out anyway to bring in a big man (maybe in a sign and trade), then it all goes back to those drafts.

I'm not knocking who he drafted because he did a good job, but would we be sitting here talking about them needing to add a legitimate big this off-season if they would've made those moves? I don't think so. Not only would they probably been just as good as they are now, but they would've been set for years without having to make any moves to their starting five. Just saying.
If they draft Love or Lopez instead of Russ, we're sitting here talking about them needing to find a PG... If they draft Corey Brewer instead of Green, we're talking about them needing to find an upgrade at SG because Corey Brewer wouldn't start for damn near any playoff team.

Not if they trade for Maynor - or any other serviceable point guard - and then draft Curry. Or they could just let Curry man the point.

You're telling me this lineup:
Maynor
Curry
Durant
Green/Noah
Lopez

isn't better than this lineup:
Westbrook
Durant
Green
Harden
Kristic

Even if you think it isn't better, they are in a lot better position to improve the team come free agency than the current team, particularly because good big men are hard to find. Obviously, the team can't complain with their current position, but it's not nitpicking to think about moves they could have made to help the team. That's often the difference between a championship and an exit in the conference finals.

I'm glad somebody understands.

Not to mention they probably would still have Thabo. So, let's just say they took Noah in 07 anyway without even worrying about Brewer picking up Brewer. They would've been in an even better situation.

It didn't happen, but just something to look at. I just want to see how good Presti really is. People kinda overrated Pritchard after a while as well and some of his decision making was very questionable.

I think the Thunder should worry about fixing their bench honestly.

Infuse some experience in there somewhere. Especially at the PG position. Maynor's aight, but some veteran help off the bench would be great for them

Things worked out PERFECT for the Thunder. Forget all that couldve, wouldve, shouldve stuff. If they drafted all the ppl you wanted them to in 07, 08, they probably still have Carlesimo as their coach, or don't play defense as well as they do.

Just because you have talented pieces, doesn't mean that they'd mesh together. They have a team that meshes together, and all they need is some more size and some depth

Word to the Ray Allen comments, the NBA is definitely much softer now.
Not that I agree with the elbow by KG, but just the general plays/defense nowadays is more watered down.

I'll judge Presti this summer if they can actually land a monster big man because I think right now and at the time the Jeff Green pick is tough to defend. And angling for cap space only works if you have a desirable destination. It should be desirable because of the talent on the roster, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Not if they trade for Maynor - or any other serviceable point guard - and then draft Curry. Or they could just let Curry man the point.

You're telling me this lineup:
Maynor
Curry
Durant
Green/Noah
Lopez

isn't better than this lineup:
Westbrook
Durant
Green
Harden
Kristic

Even if you think it isn't better, they are in a lot better position to improve the team come free agency than the current team, particularly because good big men are hard to find. Obviously, the team can't complain with their current position, but it's not nitpicking to think about moves they could have made to help the team. That's often the difference between a championship and an exit in the conference finals.
That lineup sucks. And I don't think you even know the Thunder well because we start Thabo at the 2. But again, Maynor sucks. Well sucks is strong, but if he has to be a significant part of what you do, generally doesn't bode well. Curry has no doubt shown he can be a starting NBA PG, but coming into the draft that was certainly in question so that would have been a huge risk on both counts, and neither of those 2 and anywhere near the defender Westbrook is. Curry and Maynor ever on the court together is getting raped on D, definitely by the other team's 2 guard but bigger points like Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Chauncy Billups, etc. would also go out them (and do to Maynor) in the post.

End of the day, we're talking about a team that won 23 games last yr winning 50 this yr, and even had an outside shot at the 2 seed, up until about game 78-79. Biggest 1 season turn around in history. It's hard to be mad at that

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

That lineup sucks. And I don't think you even know the Thunder well because we start Thabo at the 2. But again, Maynor sucks. Well sucks is strong, but if he has to be a significant part of what you do, generally doesn't bode well. Curry has no doubt shown he can be a starting NBA PG, but coming into the draft that was certainly in question so that would have been a huge risk on both counts, and neither of those 2 and anywhere near the defender Westbrook is. Curry and Maynor ever on the court together is getting raped on D, definitely by the other team's 2 guard but bigger points like Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Chauncy Billups, etc. would also go out them (and do to Maynor) in the post.

End of the day, we're talking about a team that won 23 games last yr winning 50 this yr, and even had an outside shot at the 2 seed, up until about game 78-79. Biggest 1 season turn around in history. It's hard to be mad at that
I'm with you... Maynor at this point is a spare, but everybody here loves him for whatever reason... He's not a starter on an NBA playoff team. I'm not convinced Curry/KD would work well together anyways, but that's another issue...

If you want to nitpick the Jeff Green pick, fine... But the Westbrook one just makes you look like an idiot IMO... This is a point guard's league and they got one of the best young PGs in the league and a guy that's physical and athletic enough to matchup with anybody on any night. Westbrook right now is probably the second best player in that draft behind Rose. It's hard to find fault with that.

bhzmafia14 wrote:

dude just stop posting

in the 07 draft everyone killed the bulls for picking noah AT NUMBER 9 so why the hell would OKC picked him at number 5? add in even if they picked noah they would still be looking for low post scoring. jeff green is twice the player brewer will EVER be and i dont even like jeff green.

in the 08 draft everyone knew OKC needed a PG and they took there PG in russy. why the !##+ would you pick lopez so high when nobody had him that high? and how you going to bash them for picking a young PG who looks like a future all star?

and in 09 they took harden who can play the SG and move over to PG at times

stop nitpicking

Scott Brooks will be named COY this afternoon.

Somehow, Lionel Hollins must have been snubbed.

I can tell you why they should've got Noah in 07, because I valued, others valued and most Grizz fans valued him just as high as Conley after the tourney. 

I wanted Noah if Atlanta picked Horford because we had Lowry. In the few games Lowry played in his rookie season, he looked promising and I felt we didn't necessarily have to go the PG route when we really needed a big to play beside Gasol because we didn't have one.

That's why Noah could've went that high. Regardless of what people dogged the Bulls about, he could've went that high because people did value him that high. The only reason Memphis picked Conley at 4 was because of how well he did in the tourney.

I actually thought the Green pick was a bad pick at the time. There was nothing Green did that make me consider him a top 5 pick. Its like whoever decided to get him didn't know what they were doing after they got Durant. I don't see why you got to defend the pick, its not nitpicking. Just telling it like it is and they got lucky at the end of it all that Green turned out to be a nice combo forward for them.

I respect him for picking up Westbrook, Ibaka and with the current make up of their team Harden. But, there could've been a different route.  

Scott Brooks will be named COY this afternoon.

Somehow, Lionel Hollins must have been snubbed.
  I figured he would win over Skiles regardless of how well the Bucks played because the media is in love with OKC. He did a great job, but I don't see how a lottery bound team in Milwaukee can win 46 games like that with a rookie PG, Bogut and role players.

Nobody around the league valued Joakim Noah as a Top 5 pick. Nobody. So stop that nonsense right now. If they had reached and drafted him you'd sit here today and tell us that Presti overdrafted him and got lucky it worked out.
I figured he would win over Skiles regardless of how well the Bucks played because the media is in love with OKC. He did a great job, but I don't see how a lottery bound team in Milwaukee can win 46 games like that with a rookie PG, Bogut and role players.
Oklahoma City just put together one of the best one-season turnarounds in NBA history... Stop it.
I actually thought the Green pick was a bad pick at the time. There was nothing Green did that make me consider him a top 5 pick. Its like whoever decided to get him didn't know what they were doing after they got Durant. I don't see why you got to defend the pick, its not nitpicking. Just telling it like it is and they got lucky at the end of it all that Green turned out to be a nice combo forward for them.
People thought all along Jeff Green was a Lamar Odom starter kit... And now OKC is lucky that's what they got?
laugh.gif
Good God...

Everyone can say if, if, if, it doesnt make sense.

If the Cavs didnt have the #1 pick, then they wouldnt be irrelevant.

If Charlotte never traded Kobe to LA, then they wouldnt have as many rings as he did, blah blah blah.

Its pointless, and no one would know how things turned out, although i still think they drafted fine.

Back
Top Bottom