Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Michaelangelo (silly one)

• C. Leonardo (the leader)

• D. Donatello (The smart one)

• Total voters
Good gifs by everyone. This has almist made this season worth it.

I knew Phil meant business

Would yall trade Melo to the bulls for Taj, DJ, and two first rounders?
No that's a **** trade.

Only if its 100% that he's leaving. I'd do that trade if they Included Butler, I dont care much for DJ. Those are the 16th and 19th picks if i'm not mistake. Both can be traded with Shumpert for a star.
I don't care much for any of them.
Kemba or Lowry?
Kemba AND Kyrie :smokin

Proshare's posted this in the NBA thread. I thought it was a good read.

There was little about the Knicks this season that suggested a well-coached squad, and clearly a fresh start was needed. Now that Phil Jackson has sent Mike Woodson and his staff packing, there's already a name being floated that should have Knicks fans excited: Steve Kerr.

On the whole, Woodson wasn't a demonstrably bad coach. According to the coaching plus-minus figures put out by Jeremias Engelmann -- one of the guys behind real plus-minus (RPM) -- Woodson had more or less a neutral impact on the Knicks' on-court fortunes. That falls in line with Woodson's performance against his team's point differentials: Not counting his partial season, Woodson's Knicks clubs should have won 298 games according to their scoring margin. They've won 297.

The problem is that on a roster such as New York's, where the resources have been heavily tilted toward the three frontcourt players -- two of whom (Amar'e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler) have availability issues -- it's not the steady hand of a neutral coach that's needed. A creative thinker who knows how to maximize Carmelo Anthony's impact is essential. That's where we look at the success of New York's small-ball lineup from last season to guide us toward Woodson's successor.

We all know how the formula worked: Anthony spent most of his court time at power forward, the Knicks spread the floor around him, the supporting cast bombed away at a record clip from 3-point range and Chandler was tasked to prop up the defense as best he could. The formula is a typical one for success in the NBA, circa 2014. Yet the lessons of last season seemed to escape Woodson, who was most comfortable falling back on his preferred schemes.

That brings us to Kerr, who has made no secret of the fact that if he jumps back into the league from the relative safety of the broadcaster's table, it would be as a coach, not an executive. An endorsement of Kerr might seem like an odd thing, because in a sense it smacks of typical Knicks. After all, if Jackson hires Kerr, we'd have two former title-winning role players in role reversals. One is a coach who has never run a front office, while the other is a former general manager who has never coached. Still, I think it would work.

Steve Kerr
AP Photo/Eric Gay
Kerr has learned from some of the brightest NBA minds including Mike D'Antoni, Gregg Popovich and Phil Jackson.
As one of the league's top television analysts, Kerr has been engaged in an ongoing job interview in recent years that we all got to eavesdrop on, not to mention his ubiquitous presence at the recent MIT Sloan Sports Analytics conference. There, Kerr not only espoused his philosophies on stage as a panelist, but sat in on some of the nuts-and-bolts presentations given by the math wizards on hand.

Kerr has spoken eloquently on the role of the coach, in terms of managing personalities and building locker-room chemistry. But on every broadcast, Kerr make sensible points, whether about a team's rotation preferences, general schematic traits or something else, and he often backs up those thoughts with at least basic analytics. It's one thing to pay lip service to these progressive notions, but it's another to be able to tie them into the action as it unfolds on the floor. Whereas the lessons of last season might have been lost on Woodson, it's likely that Kerr has been well aware of them.

There are other reasons to like Kerr. Unlike some of the other candidates who have already been bandied about, such Jim Cleamons, Kurt Rambis and maybe even Mark Jackson, Kerr doesn't have the baggage of a past failure. He's also been exposed to some of the NBA's greatest minds. Some might see his hire as a Jackson mandate to recreate the recent Bulls/Lakers dynasties, triangle offense and all, but Kerr could blend the best of what he learned from Jackson, Gregg Popovich and Mike D'Antoni.

When you think about it, if someone could meld Jackson's ability to motivate with Popovich's defensive genius and D'Antoni's high-powered offense, you'd have a dynamic coach. Kerr's experience as an executive in Phoenix is not only another reason why he'd be an ideal complement for Jackson, but it also sets up the possibility that he could move into a Popovich-like role for the Knicks when Jackson is ready to retire for good.

Monday's move was the beginning of a crucial summer for the Knicks. Anthony will likely opt out, and he has pledged to value championship probability ahead of maximizing income. As Jackson seeks to establish a new culture while setting New York up for the summer of 2015, he has to sell Anthony on the potential of his rapid rebuild. Bringing in a progressive thinker and high-profile communicator such as Kerr would be the first step toward setting Jackson's plans into high gear.

@FredKerber: Former #Knicks Steve Novak on Woodson firing: Knicks "had a down year but when you trade me away what do you expect? No, no I’m just joking"
laugh.gif

Proshare's posted this in the NBA thread. I thought it was a good read.

There was little about the Knicks this season that suggested a well-coached squad, and clearly a fresh start was needed. Now that Phil Jackson has sent Mike Woodson and his staff packing, there's already a name being floated that should have Knicks fans excited: Steve Kerr.

On the whole, Woodson wasn't a demonstrably bad coach. According to the coaching plus-minus figures put out by Jeremias Engelmann -- one of the guys behind real plus-minus (RPM) -- Woodson had more or less a neutral impact on the Knicks' on-court fortunes. That falls in line with Woodson's performance against his team's point differentials: Not counting his partial season, Woodson's Knicks clubs should have won 298 games according to their scoring margin. They've won 297.

The problem is that on a roster such as New York's, where the resources have been heavily tilted toward the three frontcourt players -- two of whom (Amar'e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler) have availability issues -- it's not the steady hand of a neutral coach that's needed. A creative thinker who knows how to maximize Carmelo Anthony's impact is essential. That's where we look at the success of New York's small-ball lineup from last season to guide us toward Woodson's successor.

We all know how the formula worked: Anthony spent most of his court time at power forward, the Knicks spread the floor around him, the supporting cast bombed away at a record clip from 3-point range and Chandler was tasked to prop up the defense as best he could. The formula is a typical one for success in the NBA, circa 2014. Yet the lessons of last season seemed to escape Woodson, who was most comfortable falling back on his preferred schemes.

That brings us to Kerr, who has made no secret of the fact that if he jumps back into the league from the relative safety of the broadcaster's table, it would be as a coach, not an executive. An endorsement of Kerr might seem like an odd thing, because in a sense it smacks of typical Knicks. After all, if Jackson hires Kerr, we'd have two former title-winning role players in role reversals. One is a coach who has never run a front office, while the other is a former general manager who has never coached. Still, I think it would work.

Steve Kerr
AP Photo/Eric Gay
Kerr has learned from some of the brightest NBA minds including Mike D'Antoni, Gregg Popovich and Phil Jackson.
As one of the league's top television analysts, Kerr has been engaged in an ongoing job interview in recent years that we all got to eavesdrop on, not to mention his ubiquitous presence at the recent MIT Sloan Sports Analytics conference. There, Kerr not only espoused his philosophies on stage as a panelist, but sat in on some of the nuts-and-bolts presentations given by the math wizards on hand.

Kerr has spoken eloquently on the role of the coach, in terms of managing personalities and building locker-room chemistry. But on every broadcast, Kerr make sensible points, whether about a team's rotation preferences, general schematic traits or something else, and he often backs up those thoughts with at least basic analytics. It's one thing to pay lip service to these progressive notions, but it's another to be able to tie them into the action as it unfolds on the floor. Whereas the lessons of last season might have been lost on Woodson, it's likely that Kerr has been well aware of them.

There are other reasons to like Kerr. Unlike some of the other candidates who have already been bandied about, such Jim Cleamons, Kurt Rambis and maybe even Mark Jackson, Kerr doesn't have the baggage of a past failure. He's also been exposed to some of the NBA's greatest minds. Some might see his hire as a Jackson mandate to recreate the recent Bulls/Lakers dynasties, triangle offense and all, but Kerr could blend the best of what he learned from Jackson, Gregg Popovich and Mike D'Antoni.

When you think about it, if someone could meld Jackson's ability to motivate with Popovich's defensive genius and D'Antoni's high-powered offense, you'd have a dynamic coach. Kerr's experience as an executive in Phoenix is not only another reason why he'd be an ideal complement for Jackson, but it also sets up the possibility that he could move into a Popovich-like role for the Knicks when Jackson is ready to retire for good.

Monday's move was the beginning of a crucial summer for the Knicks. Anthony will likely opt out, and he has pledged to value championship probability ahead of maximizing income. As Jackson seeks to establish a new culture while setting New York up for the summer of 2015, he has to sell Anthony on the potential of his rapid rebuild. Bringing in a progressive thinker and high-profile communicator such as Kerr would be the first step toward setting Jackson's plans into high gear.
That's good and all, but I don't need advanced statistics to tell me that Woodson was an average coach. My own eyes told me that a long time ago. I hate this age of stats trying to quantify and nuance things that I already know by um....watching basketball.

Back
Top Bottom