NTers NOT from the US, how do you view us Americans?

I was born in the Philippines, grew up in Switzerland but now live here in the US. The general view of Europeans is that most Americans are arrogant, and I somewhat agree. A lot of people here misconstrue patriotism with arrogance, thinking that this is the greatest country on Earth. Patriotism is perfectly acceptable but when people start running their mouths off about how this country has the most powerful military force in the world, they need to sit back and think. Vietnam proved this wrong.

From what I've observed most Americans are pretty clueless about current events particularly on the international level. Many assume that just because it's not in their country, there's no point of reading or watching international news. One other thing I've hated in this country is public transportation. Everyone seems to drive here and public transportation has become an afterthought, particularly the rail system. Amtrak is a joke and the service is just about as bad as some train systems in developing countries. Health care aside, Americans should be thankful for relatively low taxes (in comparison to most developed nations), low prices and the variety of products + merchandise that are available to them (I'm clearly thankful for this). However, the result has made many Americans materialistic; often buying products they don't need with money they don't have to impress people who don't care. Celebrities are praised like godly figures and people allow themselves to be affected by the media.

With all that said, this is still an excellent country to live in depending on where you are. Compared to other developed countries however, the US is NOT the greatest country on Earth. For those of you who have traveled another developed country (not counting Canada), this should be apparent.

I was born in the Philippines, grew up in Switzerland but now live here in the US. The general view of Europeans is that most Americans are arrogant, and I somewhat agree. A lot of people here misconstrue patriotism with arrogance, thinking that this is the greatest country on Earth. Patriotism is perfectly acceptable but when people start running their mouths off about how this country has the most powerful military force in the world, they need to sit back and think. Vietnam proved this wrong.

From what I've observed most Americans are pretty clueless about current events particularly on the international level. Many assume that just because it's not in their country, there's no point of reading or watching international news. One other thing I've hated in this country is public transportation. Everyone seems to drive here and public transportation has become an afterthought, particularly the rail system. Amtrak is a joke and the service is just about as bad as some train systems in developing countries. Health care aside, Americans should be thankful for relatively low taxes (in comparison to most developed nations), low prices and the variety of products + merchandise that are available to them (I'm clearly thankful for this). However, the result has made many Americans materialistic; often buying products they don't need with money they don't have to impress people who don't care. Celebrities are praised like godly figures and people allow themselves to be affected by the media.

With all that said, this is still an excellent country to live in depending on where you are. Compared to other developed countries however, the US is NOT the greatest country on Earth. For those of you who have traveled another developed country (not counting Canada), this should be apparent.

Originally Posted by third

stupid idiots with herd mentalities that think the world begins America and ends in America..They are also very insecure with themselves thus everything about them is fear driven because of their many insecurities
Damn.

Good thread, btw.

stupid idiots with herd mentalities that think the world begins America and ends in America..They are also very insecure with themselves thus everything about them is fear driven because of their many insecurities
Damn.

Good thread, btw.

I am an American (although my dad is Nicaraguan/Mexican and I have lived with my relatives in the DF for a good part of my life so in some ways I am foreign) and I have two points.

One is about the annoying pedantry shown by people who object to the use of the term "America" when referring to the United States. Whatever you think of the US government, the widely accepted and used term for something or someone of or related to the United States is "American." Variations on that word are present in most languages around the world, when used to describe nouns pertaining to the United States. The convention is established and since the only alternative to "American" would be "of and/or pertaining to the United States of America" I think it is to all of our benefit that we use the former instead of the latter.

Second, and of much greater importance, I find it ironic that many in Canada, Europe and elsewhere criticize "Americans" for all being universally ignorant and lacking in nuance yet many of those same people will cherry pick aspects and subgroups from the US and apply it to all Americans in order to maximize their negative perceptions of all Americans. The US is a Continental Republic with over 300 million citizens, we are ethnically diverse, we are politically given to pluralism, Americans choose to worship (nor not worship at all) in a wide variety of ways and despite your stereotypes there are Americans who are neither obese nor boorish nor uninformed about world events.

I would also like to add that sometimes it is better to be uninformed than misinformed and as someone who speaks and reads French and German and who consume foreign media, it is perhaps more damaging to glace through Der Spiegel or Le Monde or bbc.co.uk and believe that you are informed than to look at no news and know that you are simply uniformed.

I am an American (although my dad is Nicaraguan/Mexican and I have lived with my relatives in the DF for a good part of my life so in some ways I am foreign) and I have two points.

One is about the annoying pedantry shown by people who object to the use of the term "America" when referring to the United States. Whatever you think of the US government, the widely accepted and used term for something or someone of or related to the United States is "American." Variations on that word are present in most languages around the world, when used to describe nouns pertaining to the United States. The convention is established and since the only alternative to "American" would be "of and/or pertaining to the United States of America" I think it is to all of our benefit that we use the former instead of the latter.

Second, and of much greater importance, I find it ironic that many in Canada, Europe and elsewhere criticize "Americans" for all being universally ignorant and lacking in nuance yet many of those same people will cherry pick aspects and subgroups from the US and apply it to all Americans in order to maximize their negative perceptions of all Americans. The US is a Continental Republic with over 300 million citizens, we are ethnically diverse, we are politically given to pluralism, Americans choose to worship (nor not worship at all) in a wide variety of ways and despite your stereotypes there are Americans who are neither obese nor boorish nor uninformed about world events.

I would also like to add that sometimes it is better to be uninformed than misinformed and as someone who speaks and reads French and German and who consume foreign media, it is perhaps more damaging to glace through Der Spiegel or Le Monde or bbc.co.uk and believe that you are informed than to look at no news and know that you are simply uniformed.

After living in Taiwan for a few months in 2009, I started to look at things more globally...I do think a lot of Americans (especially those who've never ventured outside of the country) think the world starts and ends with America and that we're invincible to all the bad in the world. It's definitely not the case and the world is more inter-connected than people think.

After living in Taiwan for a few months in 2009, I started to look at things more globally...I do think a lot of Americans (especially those who've never ventured outside of the country) think the world starts and ends with America and that we're invincible to all the bad in the world. It's definitely not the case and the world is more inter-connected than people think.

Originally Posted by doin90onthefreeway

lol I'm Mexican American, born and raised in LA, an ive been to Mexico plenty of times and i know that Guadalajara is one of the nicer cities in Mexico.

Guadalajara is safer and wealthier.
Huh? You must live on a very wealthy part of Guadaljara. Mexico is infected everywhere by cartels. Shieeeeeet. Ya'll ain't special.

Originally Posted by doin90onthefreeway

lol I'm Mexican American, born and raised in LA, an ive been to Mexico plenty of times and i know that Guadalajara is one of the nicer cities in Mexico.

Guadalajara is safer and wealthier.
Huh? You must live on a very wealthy part of Guadaljara. Mexico is infected everywhere by cartels. Shieeeeeet. Ya'll ain't special.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Wow many of these opinions are wake up calls for me 
eek.gif
(I'm American)

Wow many of these opinions are wake up calls for me 
eek.gif
(I'm American)

After traveling through Western Europe, the only thing that became apparent to me is America's superiority.

This is a pointless thread though. It's essentially 'Post American Stereotypes'. Like there aren't ignorant fools in France.

The absolute worst is when Brits have the audacity to EVER criticize the United States.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Eventhought I was born in The Bronx Ive noticed is that there are a lot ofwhite folks that think everyone in the world is suppose to bow down tothe US.

Talking about everyone has lost respect for the US.
laugh.gif
What does this have to do with anything?

After traveling through Western Europe, the only thing that became apparent to me is America's superiority.

This is a pointless thread though. It's essentially 'Post American Stereotypes'. Like there aren't ignorant fools in France.

The absolute worst is when Brits have the audacity to EVER criticize the United States.

Eventhought I was born in The Bronx Ive noticed is that there are a lot ofwhite folks that think everyone in the world is suppose to bow down tothe US.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DJMano34

eek.gif
 on point. and im from america.

Bingo

Originally Posted by DJMano34

eek.gif
 on point. and im from america.

Bingo

Originally Posted by Budweiser

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Budweiser

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom