NT: What's Your Religion?

Originally Posted by M1dnightMobster

For those who don't believe in God...can I ask how you can believe that?

I hear the whole common sense argument all the time, but how can someone as intelligent
as C.S. Lewis turn from atheist to Christian using "common sense." No bashing, I'm just interested.

If anyone claims there is no God because they are so intelligent or rational, I dare them to read
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

*cue religion vs. atheist argument* and +5 pages
See that's the thing, it's become popular among the intellectual community to not believe in God, and point to intellectuals who also didnot believe in God. Even though, that position is a minority, almost all of the worlds greatest thinkers believed in God.

Well boys noize, I appreciate your opinion but I may have singled out catholics but if you read the context I wasn't just talking about them
but in essence they're pretty notorious. During ww2 who supported the Nazis? And the ultra-fascists? Anyway knowledge is power and truth is salvation. Yeahthe pope is pimpin in his car and material wealth but apparently riches on earth is more important than riches in heaven I guess for him. Seems like it right?I mean yeah Jesus was also rolling in his donkey and his seamless garment. Man I see that he's on target in applying scriptures there. A lot of religionsforget that your true leader is not the guy dressed to the nines, umm let's see let me think Pharisees. But I have friends and fam who are catholic,they're pretty sick of it and to them religion is starting to become passé. I have Mormon friends also but they still drink coke and alcohol. And welllet's just say some compromise and eat pork for those who go to mosques or synagogues. Believe me I'm not close-minded and absolute, if you do orworship what you feel is right than cool beans. I'm just doing the same... Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to buying/selling forum!

Originally Posted by ljlukelj

Catholicism is scary
It's always been the opposite for me (not to knock any Christian who doesn't follow a Catholic worship style though). I was raisedCatholic and Anglican (similar to the Roman Catholic church) and when I started learning about other denominations of Christianity and seeing people"catching the Holy Ghost" and speaking in tongues, that kind of had me shook. I've never "caught the Holy Ghost," but I would think itwould be a peaceful, calming experience, instead of the roll on the floor, violent outbursts that people seem to experience. I just don't get it, but Iguess I'm not meant to since I'm not of those denominations that practice that.

Originally Posted by Conrad Onasis513

Moorish Science Temple of America
Really? I thought that group no longer existed in it's original form. No diss or anything, excuse me for my ignorance on the subject
ohwell.gif

Oh yeah if brilliant minds don't believe in god, than I guess Sir Isaac Newton made up bs then eh with all that gravity nonsense...

My family is Buddhist, but I don't really go to temples and stuff. So...

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Belgian%20Jews%20wearing%20the%20star%20of%20David.jpg
is that a picture of your family??? I wish we still had some of that....my grandmother barely made it out of germany with her best friend (as alittle girl), the rest of her family was split up....
frown.gif

Raised Muslim but I've recently decided that since I no longer follow the five pillars of Islam nor am I a practicing Muslim I can no longer call myselfMuslim.

Therefore I am an agnostic. I believe in a higher power however I am skeptical of organized religion.

I find it wrong that so many people identify with a certain religion but have no concept of spirituality. These people are quick to speak God's name invain for selfish and foolish reasons.

I consider myself Antitheist. In my opinion, not only are all religions based on false ideas....but they are also harmful in suggesting the existence ofomnipotent super being. I don't wish there was a god, in fact I am glad that the examples of gods in scriptures don't exist.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Raised Muslim but I've recently decided that since I no longer follow the five pillars of Islam nor am I a practicing Muslim I can no longer call myself Muslim.

Therefore I am an agnostic. I believe in a higher power however I am skeptical of organized religion.

I find it wrong that so many people identify with a certain religion but have no concept of spirituality. These people are quick to speak God's name in vain for selfish and foolish reasons.
Agnosticism is the view that the truth value ofcertain claims-especially claims about the existence of any deity, but also other religious andmetaphysical claims-is unknown or unknowable.[sup][1][/sup] Agnosticism can be defined in various ways,and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In somesenses, agnosticism is a stance about the differences between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief.

Strong agnosticism (also called "hard," "closed," "strict," or "permanent agnosticism") the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of a deity or deities and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience. A strong agnostic would say, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you." Weak agnosticism (also called "soft," "open," "empirical," or "temporal agnosticism") the view that the existence or nonexistence of any deities is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if any evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say, "I don't know whether any deities exist or not, but maybe one day when there is evidence we can find something out." Apathetic agnosticism (also called Pragmatic agnosticism) the view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of any deity, but since any deity that may exist appears unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Agnostic atheism the view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but do not believe in any.[sup][15][/sup] Agnostic theism (also called "spiritual agnosticism") the view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but still believe in such an existence. Ignosticism the view that a coherent definition of a deity must be put forward before the question of the existence of a deity can be meaningfully discussed. If the chosen definition isn't coherent, the ignostic holds the noncognitivist view that the existence of a deity is meaningless or empirically untestable. A.J. Ayer, Theodore Drange, and other philosophers see both atheism and agnosticism as incompatible with ignosticism on the grounds that atheism and agnosticism accept "a deity exists" as a meaningful proposition which can be argued for or against. An ignostic cannot even say whether he/she is a theist or a nontheist until a better definition of theism is put forth.[sup][16][/sup][sup][not in citation given][/sup]
I'm a STRONG AGNOSTIC.+ APATHETIC AGNOSTIC....based on what your described that would make you an AGNOSTIC THEIST.

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Christian... I'm not the most devout Christian you'll meet but I go to church every Sunday

Originally Posted by Galvelocity

Originally Posted by iBlink

blackmagnus514 wrote:

I believe in a God and Karma. despise organized religion. the bane of mankind.
This guy gets it.

Agreed minus the God part. I believe in Karma in the sense that you get from the world what you put out into it, and I too despise organized religion. I appreciate that it helps some people deal with fears and uncertainty by finding solace in the group and a higher power but it also serves as just another reason for people to hate those different from them.

This made no sense.

Raised Muslim but I've recently decided that since I no longer follow the five pillars of Islam nor am I a practicing Muslim I can no longer call myself Muslim.

I find it wrong that so many people identify with a certain religion but have no concept of spirituality. These people are quick to speak God's name in vain for selfish and foolish reasons.

why arent u muslim anymore?

Originally Posted by NEIGHB0RH00D

Originally Posted by Galvelocity

Originally Posted by iBlink

blackmagnus514 wrote:

I believe in a God and Karma. despise organized religion. the bane of mankind.
This guy gets it.

Agreed minus the God part. I believe in Karma in the sense that you get from the world what you put out into it, and I too despise organized religion. I appreciate that it helps some people deal with fears and uncertainty by finding solace in the group and a higher power but it also serves as just another reason for people to hate those different from them.

This made no sense.

It made perfect sense.

Originally Posted by DublBagn

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Belgian%20Jews%20wearing%20the%20star%20of%20David.jpg
is that a picture of your family??? I wish we still had some of that....my grandmother barely made it out of germany with her best friend (as a little girl), the rest of her family was split up....
frown.gif

No. Other than my grandmother and my grandfather, no-one was left. Both of thier entire families were killed in the concentration camps. My grandfather usedto take care of my grandmother in the concentration camp they were in and that is how they met. When they got liberated, they had no-one left but eachother sothey got married.

My grandmother just died like two years ago and my grandfather is still alive and as healthy as ever. He's got the tatoo on his arm and everything. Mymom said when she was a kid my grandparents used to scream in their sleep from the memories.

Originally Posted by paliplaya2010

I explained why.

Roman Catholic, not very dedicated to church but still go every Sunday and volunteer when help is needed.

Originally Posted by paliplaya2010

I explained why.
o i didnt read it right, did u just choose not to follow the pillars or do u disagree with it

Back
Top Bottom