no one should have a billion dollars. no, not him either.

Bruh!!!!!

Capitalism / Globalism (GREED) has caused the poverty in the first place! WTF!!!!

You gotta be kidding me right now.
That’s not what the facts say, please tell then. What in practicality does decrease poverty? Or is it impossible?

The "private owners" did not gain thier status by "tak(ing) risks and reap(ing) the rewards that come with it".

They decided it was cool to own other human beings Fam.
Actually, the state...i.e.. the United States, decided it was cool to own other human beings.

Actually, the state...i.e.. the United States, decided it was cool to own other human beings.

Huh???

Where do you think all that cotton and sugar went?!?!?

"Slavery helped finance the Industrial Revolution in England. Plantation owners, shipbuilders, and merchants connected with the slave trade accumulated vast fortunes that established banks and heavy industry in Europe and expanded the reach of capitalism worldwide."

Huh???

Where do you think all that cotton and sugar went?!?!?

"Slavery helped finance the Industrial Revolution in England. Plantation owners, shipbuilders, and merchants connected with the slave trade accumulated vast fortunes that established banks and heavy industry in Europe and expanded the reach of capitalism worldwide."
You keep on mentioning 19th century and early 20th century inputs. that was not the intent of my original argument. I reiterated this in my previous post.

I am not here to debate the impacts of the slave trade on modern day capitalism and economic gaps among various groups. I have already admitted it's intertwined and responsible for a LARGE gap to this day.

My most recent comment was with regard to your comment insinuating that Business owners decided it was ok to own other human beings, when in fact the entire country did, including the state. The very state that you imply should control the monetary incentives......

My most recent comment was with regard to your comment insinuating that Business owners decided it was ok to own other human beings, when in fact the entire country did, including the state. The very state that you imply should control the monetary incentives......

Capitalism is dead fam.

Also - nice strawman.

a billion dollars is A MILLION TIMES A THOUISAND. Having a million dollars is excessive and have that multiplied by a thousand is mind boggling. Zuckerberg has 47 billion? CRAZY

Resources arent unlimited in this world, so when 1 person has that much to themselves they are essentially starving others. This is a VERY UNEQUAL WORLD and income inequality is a disease in itself.

In America 55% of all wealth is usually inherited. People who are billionaires for the most part dont work harder than others, therefore they are not derserving of it.

I saw some stat recently said that the richest 27 people on Earth have the same amount of wealth as the poorest 3.8 billion people.

Thats just F-ED up, and dont try to rationalize it because yall in here are more closer to the bottom than the top.

I get into my snark bag sometimes so maybe my point gets lost, but zero jokes, this entirely.

how in all things possible could 27 individuals legitimately earn the spending power of HALF OF HUMANITY?

that's the kind of decision making power you give to a mf literally holding the Sun for ransom somehow.

something is askew.

You’re relying on a deflection cause you got called out

nah im relying on reality.

holla at da former congressman Rangel

or this quiant story...

This late actress had the best rent deal in NYC
By Hannah Frishberg

May 9, 2018 | 10:17pm

When Patricia O’Grady moved into the top floor of a Greenwich Village walk-up in 1955, she and her three roommates helped sweep the hallway in exchange for a discounted rent of $16 a month.

The unit was bare, no more than floor and walls, so the girls, all aspiring actresses, slowly improved it themselves, installing a sink and other modest amenities. While her roommates moved on, O’Grady never left the unit, and for that she received the ultimate New York City prize: unbelievably affordable rent.

Patricia O'Grady

Adam Pomerantz
Stefano Giovannini
Until March, when O’Grady, 84, was fatally struck by a car just a few feet from her home, she paid $28.43 a month for the apartment.

“I consulted with an attorney to find out if this rent was possible,” recalls Adam Pomerantz, who bought O’Grady’s building, which also houses his business, Murray’s Bagels, in 2002.

It was legit, he found, but using a rent-control-formula worksheet, he was able to increase her rent a whopping $1.98 — it had previously been $26.45.

O’Grady was always early with her payments, Pomerantz says, in part because, despite the fact that his tenants can hand in their rent downstairs at the bagel shop, O’Grady insisted on mailing her check.

“She was the only one who walked to the corner to mail it,” says Pomerantz. “She was very quick paying her $28.”

In addition to possibly being the cheapest unit in Greenwich Village, the apartment may be New York City’s last cold-water flat: It had neither heat nor hot water. There were, however, two working fireplaces.

O’Grady was so set in her ways, she fought Pomerantz any time he tried to update, or even make necessary fixes, such as putting floorboards over gaping holes.

When Pomerantz attempted to install proper heat, he recalls, she pleaded with him: “What you’re doing to me is torturing me. Please leave the apartment as is. I’m at peace.”

“She didn’t want it. She didn’t want anything,” he says.

The apartment had no bath or shower. There was only a single gas light bulb. Due to her osteoporosis, O’Grady struggled to replace it when it went out, preferring to then live by candlelight. The pull-chain toilet and cast-iron stove were updated only recently.

“I didn’t even know that [cold-water flats] existed anymore,” Ava Farkas, executive director of the Metropolitan Council on Housing, said in a phone interview, “I think that’s highly, highly rare.” Farkas had not heard of a lower current rent in New York City.

O’Grady spent her days at the 14th Street YMCA, where she swam, showered, and read the New York Times, friends remember. Her sister, Roberta, who still lives in their hometown of Oakland, Calif., shared the unit with Patricia in the early 1960s when Roberta was getting her master’s degree at New York University.

View Gallery
“We would heat the water on the stove and then pour it into the old-fashioned washtubs against the wall,” Roberta said in a phone interview, going on to say of her sister, “She was very tough-minded,” a universal refrain among those who knew her. “She wanted to pursue her acting career and this apartment made it possible.”

Sticking it out in the unit was no easy feat. In addition to the lack of most modern conveniences, past landlords also tried to force O’Grady out. “A fire was set at some point,” with the intention of evicting rent-controlled tenants, says Roberta. “Everybody else left except her.”

The building’s only other current residential tenant, 33-year-old Steven Flisler, a producer at NBC, became close with his neighbor.

“I came back many nights and it’d be like 7 or 8 o’clock, or sometimes 1 or 2 in the morning, and she’d be sitting on the stoop, reading her mail, and I’d always spend 15 to 20 minutes talking with her about history and current events,” he says.

“I work in news, but I’d find out tidbits from her about what’s going on — she’d read the newspaper cover to cover.”

Despite her hunched back, O’Grady continued to attend dance classes twice weekly at the Joffrey Ballet School, where she was a longtime and beloved student.

“She took classes at the school for at least 30 years,” says Stephanie Godino, a teacher at Joffrey. The school held a small memorial service for O’Grady when she died.

Although the Joffrey School is just over two blocks from O’Grady’s home, she rarely ventured much farther, at least when she was in the city.

“I feel like she never went past 14th Street,” says Flisler.

Patricia O’Grady
Courtesy of Roberta O'Grady
She did, however, cross the country by train once a year to visit Roberta in Oakland. Before leaving for her trips, “She’d always write me a letter that was like, ‘I’m going away, hope everything’s well, I’ll be back in two weeks’ — that old-school tradition,” Flisler smiles.

In turn, Roberta would spend every Christmas at Patricia’s until the early 2000s, when Roberta began going to the nearby, now-closed, Larchmont Hotel.

“I was getting too old to bathe that way,” Roberta says.

Many in the local theater community reached out with fond memories of Patricia, who was something of a legend in her little corner of New York.

“I was lucky enough to rehearse a couple of scenes with Pat in her apartment back in the ’80s when we were in class together,” recalls Edith Meeks, the executive and artistic director of HB Studio. “I remember a Siamese cat and a wood-burning stove, racks of costumes and a living room that she used as a rehearsal space.”

According to her obituary, which, Roberta says, Patricia wrote some five years before her death, she had credits in the 1976 films “Next Stop, Greenwich Village” and “Taxi Driver.” The obit quotes director Herbert Berghoff, who directed a number of the more than 20 productions O’Grady appeared in at the HB Playwrights Foundation, as referring to her as one of the best actresses in America.

To the end, it seems, no one but O’Grady and Pomerantz knew her exact rent — “I thought it was $35,” Roberta says. Even Flisler was surprised when he heard the amount. “I knew it was a couple bucks less than mine,” he laughs, admitting he hadn’t realized quite how many bucks less.

“She told us $50. I guess she didn’t want us to know,” Joffrey School instructor Liz D’Anna says.

“A splendid woman,” Meeks says of O’Grady, “an artist, one of those singular people that New York seems to have a unique capacity to shelter.”

With O’Grady gone, Pomerantz will be gutting and renovating the apartment, renting it out as a two-bedroom in the $5,000 range

Bruh!!!!!

Capitalism / Globalism (GREED) has caused the poverty in the first place! WTF!!!!

You gotta be kidding me right now.

umm.. extreme hunger world wide has decreased because of da Advances capitalism has brought forth.... that's fron da United Nations studies

Sure, that's why Boeing was able to self-validate its unsafe 737 Max which killed more than 300 people.

You don't sound like you have much experience in how the system works.

Why? because I'm explaining it in the most simplest terms? Since we're just assuming things:
I assume I'm at least ten years older than you, so that would mean I was studying capitalism when you were studying pokemon. And I've been an entrepreneur for more than 20 years now so this isn't all theory, I have had a bit of practice.

What Boeing did is irrelevant, there will be examples of bad people in every system.

nah im relying on reality.

holla at da former congressman Rangel

or this quiant story...

This late actress had the best rent deal in NYC
By Hannah Frishberg

May 9, 2018 | 10:17pm

When Patricia O’Grady moved into the top floor of a Greenwich Village walk-up in 1955, she and her three roommates helped sweep the hallway in exchange for a discounted rent of $16 a month.

The unit was bare, no more than floor and walls, so the girls, all aspiring actresses, slowly improved it themselves, installing a sink and other modest amenities. While her roommates moved on, O’Grady never left the unit, and for that she received the ultimate New York City prize: unbelievably affordable rent.

Patricia O'Grady

Adam Pomerantz
Stefano Giovannini
Until March, when O’Grady, 84, was fatally struck by a car just a few feet from her home, she paid $28.43 a month for the apartment.

“I consulted with an attorney to find out if this rent was possible,” recalls Adam Pomerantz, who bought O’Grady’s building, which also houses his business, Murray’s Bagels, in 2002.

It was legit, he found, but using a rent-control-formula worksheet, he was able to increase her rent a whopping $1.98 — it had previously been $26.45.

O’Grady was always early with her payments, Pomerantz says, in part because, despite the fact that his tenants can hand in their rent downstairs at the bagel shop, O’Grady insisted on mailing her check.

“She was the only one who walked to the corner to mail it,” says Pomerantz. “She was very quick paying her $28.”

In addition to possibly being the cheapest unit in Greenwich Village, the apartment may be New York City’s last cold-water flat: It had neither heat nor hot water. There were, however, two working fireplaces.

O’Grady was so set in her ways, she fought Pomerantz any time he tried to update, or even make necessary fixes, such as putting floorboards over gaping holes.

When Pomerantz attempted to install proper heat, he recalls, she pleaded with him: “What you’re doing to me is torturing me. Please leave the apartment as is. I’m at peace.”

“She didn’t want it. She didn’t want anything,” he says.

The apartment had no bath or shower. There was only a single gas light bulb. Due to her osteoporosis, O’Grady struggled to replace it when it went out, preferring to then live by candlelight. The pull-chain toilet and cast-iron stove were updated only recently.

“I didn’t even know that [cold-water flats] existed anymore,” Ava Farkas, executive director of the Metropolitan Council on Housing, said in a phone interview, “I think that’s highly, highly rare.” Farkas had not heard of a lower current rent in New York City.

O’Grady spent her days at the 14th Street YMCA, where she swam, showered, and read the New York Times, friends remember. Her sister, Roberta, who still lives in their hometown of Oakland, Calif., shared the unit with Patricia in the early 1960s when Roberta was getting her master’s degree at New York University.

View Gallery
“We would heat the water on the stove and then pour it into the old-fashioned washtubs against the wall,” Roberta said in a phone interview, going on to say of her sister, “She was very tough-minded,” a universal refrain among those who knew her. “She wanted to pursue her acting career and this apartment made it possible.”

Sticking it out in the unit was no easy feat. In addition to the lack of most modern conveniences, past landlords also tried to force O’Grady out. “A fire was set at some point,” with the intention of evicting rent-controlled tenants, says Roberta. “Everybody else left except her.”

The building’s only other current residential tenant, 33-year-old Steven Flisler, a producer at NBC, became close with his neighbor.

“I came back many nights and it’d be like 7 or 8 o’clock, or sometimes 1 or 2 in the morning, and she’d be sitting on the stoop, reading her mail, and I’d always spend 15 to 20 minutes talking with her about history and current events,” he says.

“I work in news, but I’d find out tidbits from her about what’s going on — she’d read the newspaper cover to cover.”

Despite her hunched back, O’Grady continued to attend dance classes twice weekly at the Joffrey Ballet School, where she was a longtime and beloved student.

“She took classes at the school for at least 30 years,” says Stephanie Godino, a teacher at Joffrey. The school held a small memorial service for O’Grady when she died.

Although the Joffrey School is just over two blocks from O’Grady’s home, she rarely ventured much farther, at least when she was in the city.

“I feel like she never went past 14th Street,” says Flisler.

Patricia O’Grady
Courtesy of Roberta O'Grady
She did, however, cross the country by train once a year to visit Roberta in Oakland. Before leaving for her trips, “She’d always write me a letter that was like, ‘I’m going away, hope everything’s well, I’ll be back in two weeks’ — that old-school tradition,” Flisler smiles.

In turn, Roberta would spend every Christmas at Patricia’s until the early 2000s, when Roberta began going to the nearby, now-closed, Larchmont Hotel.

“I was getting too old to bathe that way,” Roberta says.

Many in the local theater community reached out with fond memories of Patricia, who was something of a legend in her little corner of New York.

“I was lucky enough to rehearse a couple of scenes with Pat in her apartment back in the ’80s when we were in class together,” recalls Edith Meeks, the executive and artistic director of HB Studio. “I remember a Siamese cat and a wood-burning stove, racks of costumes and a living room that she used as a rehearsal space.”

According to her obituary, which, Roberta says, Patricia wrote some five years before her death, she had credits in the 1976 films “Next Stop, Greenwich Village” and “Taxi Driver.” The obit quotes director Herbert Berghoff, who directed a number of the more than 20 productions O’Grady appeared in at the HB Playwrights Foundation, as referring to her as one of the best actresses in America.

To the end, it seems, no one but O’Grady and Pomerantz knew her exact rent — “I thought it was $35,” Roberta says. Even Flisler was surprised when he heard the amount. “I knew it was a couple bucks less than mine,” he laughs, admitting he hadn’t realized quite how many bucks less.

“She told us $50. I guess she didn’t want us to know,” Joffrey School instructor Liz D’Anna says.

“A splendid woman,” Meeks says of O’Grady, “an artist, one of those singular people that New York seems to have a unique capacity to shelter.”

With O’Grady gone, Pomerantz will be gutting and renovating the apartment, renting it out as a two-bedroom in the $5,000 range

umm.. extreme hunger world wide has decreased because of da Advances capitalism has brought forth.... that's fron da United Nations studies
Deflect deflect deflect. Keep going man. Fake it till you make it.

Resources arent unlimited in this world, so when 1 person has that much to themselves they are essentially starving others. This is a VERY UNEQUAL WORLD and income inequality is a disease in itself.

In America 55% of all wealth is usually inherited. People who are billionaires for the most part dont work harder than others, therefore they are not derserving of it.
But opportunity IS unlimited, which is what we are talking about

While wealth transference is surely responsible for wealth gaps, the stats speak to inherited wealth not lasting long holding constant without individual achievement. In other words, yes inheriting wealth brings countless advantages, but If I pass down millions to neerdowell kids, it only goes so far and usually dissipates within a generation....

But opportunity IS unlimited, which is what we are talking about

While wealth transference is surely responsible for wealth gaps, the stats speak to inherited wealth not lasting long holding constant without individual achievement. In other words, yes inheriting wealth brings countless advantages, but If I pass down millions to neerdowell kids, it only goes so far and usually dissipates within a generation....

Opportunity is NOT unlimited. Not everyone has access to the same level of education, healthcare, income, etc.

If opportunity was unlimited for everyone then it would be an equal world.

You kinda just sound like you lack empathy.
Empathy? For who? Poor people, the working class? I know I can speak for the poor people of this country. I've experienced every minority stereotype or trope there is. I was on every government program as a kid. My whole family was too, I've experienced everything that liberals shed tears for.

If you think I can't put myself in poor people's or struggling people's shoes, you're wrong. I AM those people. I just got off my *** and did something about it.

Wrong thread, they see anecdotes only, they don't want the data.

so only like 1/10 people on the planet basically starving in history's richest time is something to be proud of?

listen, I'm not complaining all that much personally. I ate today. I sleep in a building regularly. hell...I'm online.

we can still do a lot better as a species where sharing the wealth we all create/own is concerned.

so only like 1/10 people on the planet basically starving in history's richest time is something to be proud of?

listen, I'm not complaining all that much personally. I ate today. I sleep in a building regularly. hell...I'm online.

we can still do a lot better as a species where sharing the wealth we all create/own is concerned.
In a vacuum no, with nuance and context, yes.

We can, and should do more/better.

Back
Top Bottom