No NEW EDITION MOVIE thread?

Mike is the goat.

can we all at least agree on this. can we do this.

this is just crazy

marvin is second place

son is ******* laying down

sam is 3rd

james is 4th.

thats all u need.

Last edited:

A lot of people weren't messing with Prince like that. Dude was hella weird to me. I appreciated his art as I got older but still wasn't the biggest of fans.

Bobby meant more to me than Prince. Not saying he's better but Bobby was cool while Prince was weird.

A lot of people weren't messing with Prince like that. Dude was hella weird to me. I appreciated his art as I got older but still wasn't the biggest of fans.

Bobby meant more to me than Prince. Not saying he's better but Bobby was cool while Prince was weird.

Who is this a lot of people? Cuz he sold millions and millions of albums and was selling out concerts for decades. And is recognized as a genius.

Who is this a lot of people? Cuz he sold millions and millions of albums and was selling out concerts for decades. And is recognized as a genius.

I'm definitely not saying he isn't a genius. I just feel people weren't really into him before his death. I mean you can say he sold out concerts and sold millions of albums but that's what a lot of artist do.

Purple rain til this day has sold 13,000,000 albums. 750k of those sold the week he died so I'm guessing there's a good chunk that has been sold after his death. I'm pretty sure Dave Chappelle's skits sold him a couple albums too. For example, Don't be cruel has sold 8,000,000 just in US sales without a death bump and is 5 years younger than Purple Rain.

My mom in law said back in her day that a lot of people didn't really like Prince like that. I think he was bigger internationally compared to in the US.

I'm not knocking him at all. He is a musical genius. But just cause he is a genius doesn't mean every loved him, especially compared to Michael. Waaay more creative than Mike, but creativity doesn't mean more enjoyable or likable. I feel a lot of people were put off by his different look and style. Teens up to 30 year olds probably couldn't tell you more than 1 of his songs but they'll tell you he was the dude from chappelle show lol

I'm definitely not saying he isn't a genius. I just feel people weren't really into him before his death. I mean you can say he sold out concerts and sold millions of albums but that's what a lot of artist do.

Purple rain til this day has sold 13,000,000 albums. 750k of those sold the week he died so I'm guessing there's a good chunk that has been sold after his death. I'm pretty sure Dave Chappelle's skits sold him a couple albums too. For example, Don't be cruel has sold 8,000,000 just in US sales without a death bump and is 5 years younger than Purple Rain.

My mom in law said back in her day that a lot of people didn't really like Prince like that. I think he was bigger internationally compared to in the US.

I'm not knocking him at all. He is a musical genius. But just cause he is a genius doesn't mean every loved him, especially compared to Michael. Waaay more creative than Mike, but creativity doesn't mean more enjoyable or likable. I feel a lot of people were put off by his different look and style. Teens up to 30 year olds probably couldn't tell you more than 1 of his songs but they'll tell you he was the dude from chappelle show lol

Not making much sense bruh. :lol:

Purple Rain sold 1.5 the 1st week. So before he died it was at least diamond. That album ain't sell cuz of a Chappelle skit. :lol:

Bobby Brown ain't in Prince league. :lol: Singing, sells, performing, songwriting. musician. Bobby ain't even on R Kelly level.

Your mother in law lied to you bruh. From "I Wanna Be Your Lover" (1979) to "Diamonds and Pearls" (1991) Prince had big hits in the US. The movie Purple Rain was big.

Of course he ain't as loved as Mike. Nobody is but that don't mean dude wasn't big. Maybe YOU don't like Prince.

Last edited:
Boys II men has to be the least personable group. Their music >>>> their personalities.

One of the biggest groups of all time....and most people can't name all the members :lol:.

Never heard any real drama or bs about them. They just made great music, killed the charts, left a legacy and stayed low key.

Very interesting for an act of such success.

Not making much sense bruh. :lol:

Bobby Brown ain't in Prince league. :lol: Singing, sells, performing, songwriting. musician. Bobby ain't even on R Kelly level.

Your mother in law lied to you bruh. From "I Wanna Be Your Lover" (1979) to "Diamonds and Pearls" (1991) Prince had big hits in the US. The movie Purple Rain was big.

Of course he ain't as loved as Mike. Nobody is but that don't mean dude wasn't big. Maybe YOU don't like Prince.

Again, people don't give Bobby the respect he deserves. How could Bobby not be in Prince's league when he was selling neck and neck with Michael who was the biggest star in the world (US sales).

You can think R. Kelly is better than Bobby, but Bobby was a trailblazer. Just like a few in here will say Jodeci or even Dru Hill are better than New Edition when they sang, performed, and sold out tours.

Michael lost a lot of black fans cause they thought he was trying to be white. Prince wasn't relatable to many blacks. Neither were making songs for the black community. That's where Bobby fits in.

Michael's dominance was during disco era. Neither Michael nor Prince fit into the keep it real/crack and new jack era.

Not to mention Michael quit Quincy for Bobby's production. Bobby's takeover is the reason Michael recorded "Do you remember the time" and "Jam". Not very Michael type songs are they? Bringing in Magic, Michael, Eddie Murphy and Iman to win back his black audience. That was done after Bobby already had hella cameos in his "On our own" video. Michael also tried to get New Edition to choreograph his dance moves.

Prince's Diamonds & Pearls album was done after Bobby's success, after basically ignoring black radio and black contemporary R&B with his late 80's work. He definitely tried to get back his black fans after Bobby's success.

Bobby selling 8 million as a young black artist shows that dude was for real.

So while Prince was popular in the early 80s and Michael was Michael, Bobby was the more popular artist when Michael and Prince put out their albums during the same time period. For all the creative genius label Prince gets, he sure took a page from Bobby. His success heavily influenced both artist and how they went forward.

People can say what they want but I'm a firm believer that Bobby definitely deserves to be in the room when we look back at our greats in music. Dude was a kid inspiring greats.

Also, Prince wanted Bobby on his next album before he passed. Says a lot.

View media item 2324849
View media item 2324850
View media item 2324851
Bobby was that dude

Bobby Brown on Prince and Michael's level? 
laugh.gif
 chill

these dudes were global icons, this alleged loss of black fans for being too weird would've have been miniscule

i'd be more inclined to call those instances of Michael or Prince changing their style a natural progession

again with hip hop emerging, just as R&B artists dipped their toe into a more upbeat "urban" sounds

so did pop artists

Last edited:
Nah, Bobby is not there. He had a moment but around what 94? He was done musically.

Sign O The Times came out in 87 and is loved amongst black folks. Adore, If I was Your Girlfriend. Prince ain't never lose black fans. :lol:

Prince was Jimi, Marvin, Stevie in one man.

Ushers solo career > bobby browns

Usher lasted longer, has sold more records, and has more #1 hits. Nobody's nostalgia won't be better than those facts.

Last edited:
Nah, Bobby is not there. He had a moment but around what 94? He was done musically.

Sign O The Times came out in 87 and is loved amongst black folks. Adore, If I was Your Girlfriend. Prince ain't never lose black fans. :lol:

Never said he had longevity. Just saying he was competing.

Prince was definitely some Jimi. Marvin? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Maybe it's different where you're from but people aren't really crazy for him.

I dont think folks realize how big Bobby was at that time.

Of course Prince and MJ is in a league of their own but Bobby during the late 80s and early 90s couldnt be ****** with.

Dude was was on rockstar status married to the Whitney man.

Sign O The Times came out in 87 and is loved amongst black folks. Adore, If I was Your Girlfriend. Prince ain't never lose black fans.
laugh.gif

Never said he had longevity. Just saying he was competing.

Prince was definitely some Jimi. Marvin? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Maybe it's different where you're from but people aren't really crazy for him.
where you getting this from my man?

Usher lasted longer, has sold more records, and has more #1 hits. Nobody's nostalgia won't be better than those facts.
Usher is a direct descendant from the Bobby Brown family tree

still not on the level of music gods like MJ and Prince as is being discussed

Last edited:
Usher is a direct descendant from the Bobby Brown family tree
still not on the level of music gods like MJ and Prince as is being discussed

I agree but still ushers career > Browns solo career

Neither on prince or mj level

Last edited:

I agree.

Curious where Usher came from because I never said Bobby was better than anyone. There's plenty that have had bigger albums, more top singles and lasted longer than Bobby. But Bobby has had a bigger impact to the genre than Usher has. Usher will tell you that. Having a bigger impact doesn't mean the person is more popular, just that they had more influence in today's artist or music. Beyoncé has sold more than Whitney, that means she's better?

Yea actually beyonce is the better all around artist if we're being honest. Whitney was the better singer.

I dont think folks realize how big Bobby was at that time.

Of course Prince and MJ is in a league of their own but Bobby during the late 80s and early 90s couldnt be ****** with.

Dude was was on rockstar status married to the Whitney man.

That's what I'm saying!

Yea actually beyonce is the better all around artist if we're being honest. Whitney was the better singer.

Y'all gotta pick your poison.

When I said New Edition was better for the exact same reasoning, cats was saying nah, Jodeci and Dru Hill was better.

Now Beyoncé is better cause she's the better performer? Lol

Beyoncé had a platinum album 20 years ago, you don't sell out arensas 20 years later for no reason. That group comparison is not the same as what Beyoncé is doing.
Also it's not just about performing, while Beyoncé was obviously the better performer she also had elite vocals.

Back
Top Bottom