No NEW EDITION MOVIE thread?

aeb6be9d0ab39491a32067f8f768ef6e.jpg

00595616_.jpg

She was in Jason's Lyric too.

View media item 2316434

View media item 2316440

Last edited:
finally getting around to watching, Michael Bivins was the man for a long time in the 90's, Uptown, Laface and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis got all the shine in R&B at that time

but dude was doing his thing, def. doesn't get enough credit

also it's impossible to hear a NE song and not sing at the top of your lungs, couldn't tell me I wasn't Ralph

I went to one of their shows in the late 90's when they had their comeback album, Home Again,  they did a NE set, BBD set, and Bobby Brown set

during Bobby's set he does a song he says is off his new album no one has ever heard and proceeded to get pissed at the crowd for not singing along

Last edited:
during Bobby's set he does a song he says is off his new album no one has ever heard and proceeded to get pissed at the crowd for not singing along

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

You Don't Have to Worry is one of my favorite songs. Bobby and Ralph were monsters on that one

Movie was so damn detailed. Here's part of that Video Soul interview.

I was wondering if anyone was going to post that interview lmao. That tension in the interview seemed intense. Ralph came off as extra salty in this interview. Imagine telling BBD that they wouldnt be anything without you and they turn around and go multi-platinum :wow:

Also, I looked up the sales performance for "Bobby", the follow up to "Dont Be Cruel". It actually went 2x platinum, I wouldnt call that a "flop". Sure, in comparison to "Dont Be Curel" but not a flop

"Bobby" is a really good album. I actually put it up there with "Don't Be Cruel" overall. It kinda came on the heels of MJ's Dangerous, so Teddy Riley still had a lot of momentum going. He definitely got the best of the LaFace crew this time around. By this time, Bob had some in-house vocal training from one of the greatest voices of all time, so his vocals were a lot stronger compared to the previous albums. I think the one mishap that kinda got things off on the wrong foot was leading off with "Humping Around". "Get Away" could've been the stronger 1st single. Bobby's own songs on that album were tough as well. But, "Don't Be Cruel" was his "Thriller", so there was no higher ceiling (sales-wise) than that monster. I'm really interested in hearing his real follow-up to "Don't Be Cruel" from 1990. It was shelved not long after he performed the 1st single at the VMAs that year.

Wait, explain. "Bobby" dropped in 92 I think, what's the story about the other album? I know the album after "Bobby" was supposed to be called "Bobby 2" and then he got in trouble a few times and they redid most of the album which is "Forever"

I loved "Humpin Around" as a kid. "Get Away" though, that **** is hard.

1990 VMAs
I think Bobby was supposed to drop an album this year which was the same year as BBD and Ralph Tresvanta album. For some reason it didn't drop.
This was supposed to be the single off it. "Tap into my heart". Song was never released. I could be wrong.

Yea the beat maker does the work and the producer gets the credit

Naw man, Kanye is almost strictly a producer at this point. Listen to his albums. That's all Kanye. Nobody else could do that. That's why people like RZA or Pete Rock give it up to him.

By the third album, it wasn't just Jodeci. DeVante had his own label and like 20-30 artists/producers. Many of them have said DeVante did them dirty and wasn't doing **** on that third album. If you doubt it or if you're that interested hit YouTube. There's some really good **** on there. They would do the work, he would take credit.

I feel like Stevie J even said it again on Combat Jack or a different podcast

And DeVante was treating his artists and producers like prisoners. Stealing credit isn't surprising at all

Drugs ****** over DeVante. Production wise he was a genius. Timb is what he should have become if it wasn't for the drugs.

Listen to Stevie J's stuff, and then listen to DeVante.

They are top five most successful boy bands of all time. They successfully made itt from teen sensations and all members had solo success.

In real life, they're definitely top 5. In real life they're probably #2. But I guess it depends what you call success. They're pioneers. But if we're talking sales, not even sure they're top 15 all time.

They don't get the credit they deserve, because of their era and because they pretty much appealed to mostly black audiences. They competed with Mike, Madonna, Prince, Lionel Richie, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston.

So they didn't get the Temptations or Jackson 5 credit, because of era and then white boy bands came and had more pop commercial success. When they were the bridge and reason for a lot of trends and groups in the 90's.

I also think because they kept stuff in house, and this movie was the first time we really ever got to know them besides Bobby.

Last edited:
And that time they were on Family Matters. Video quality sucks. 96 was that year for them.

Just some of the songs Babyface wrote and produced.

"Don't Be Cruel" – Bobby Brown (#1 R&B, #8 US)
"End of the Road" – Boyz II Men (#1 R&B, #1 US, #1 UK)
"Good Enough" – Bobby Brown (#5 R&B, #7 US)
"Humpin' Around" – Bobby Brown (#1 R&B, #3 US)
"I'll Make Love to You" – Boyz II Men (#1 R&B, #1 US, #1 AC, #5 UK)
"On Our Own" – Bobby Brown (#1 R&B, #2 US, #4 UK)
"I'm Your Baby Tonight" – Whitney Houston (#1 R&B, #1 US, #5 UK)
"A Song for Mama" - Boyz II Men (#1 R&B, #7 US)
"Another Sad Love Song" – Toni Braxton (#2 R&B, #7 US)
"Baby-Baby-Baby" – TLC (#1 R&B, #2 US)
"Can We Talk" – Tevin Campbell (#1 R&B, #9 US)

View media item 2316578
Was anybody getting more money than him

Last edited:
"I'm Still In Love W/ You" is a banger, I could play that dip over and over. Home Again was so damn solid as a project. Had the NE flavor w/ all of their solo/group flavor blended in.

I'd have to point them up there top 2 off the strength that they all had solo success as well as group success. Hard to find a group that can say they done the same.

"Don't Be Cruel" – Bobby Brown (#1 R&B, #8 US)
"End of the Road" – Boyz II Men (#1 R&B, #1 US, #1 UK)
"Good Enough" – Bobby Brown (#5 R&B, #7 US)
"Humpin' Around" – Bobby Brown (#1 R&B, #3 US)
"I'll Make Love to You" – Boyz II Men (#1 R&B, #1 US, #1 AC, #5 UK)
"On Our Own" – Bobby Brown (#1 R&B, #2 US, #4 UK)
"I'm Your Baby Tonight" – Whitney Houston (#1 R&B, #1 US, #5 UK)
"A Song for Mama" - Boyz II Men (#1 R&B, #7 US)
"Another Sad Love Song" – Toni Braxton (#2 R&B, #7 US)
"Baby-Baby-Baby" – TLC (#1 R&B, #2 US)
"Can We Talk" – Tevin Campbell (#1 R&B, #9 US)

Babyface is incredible man

"Don't Be Cruel" – Bobby Brown (#1 R width: 114px; height: 85px">
[/URL]

Babyface is incredible man

Face, JJ TL, Teddy R are all freakin phenomenal

Prince, Kellz, Devante. There are some dudes that just killed the game and gave birth to a new style or enhanced the genre.

Babyface is responsible for damn near everything hot in the 90's, even if he didn't produce it he had a say or had his hand in it. Him and LA Reid

Last edited:
Babyface :pimp:

Dudes whole family is set for life and generations after that. That's a crazy list and I know that's just scratching the surface.

I preferred Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis/Teddy to LA and Babyface. Most of La and Babyface's music wasn't for me or a young me.

"I'm Still In Love W/ You" is a banger, I could play that dip over and over. Home Again was so damn solid as a project. Had the NE flavor w/ all of their solo/group flavor blended in.

I'd have to point them up there top 2 off the strength that they all had solo success as well as group success. Hard to find a group that can say they done the same.

Plus they had longevity. They did it for a good 10 years, from kids to young adults.

Which is why I give Beyonce credit now, because your run in music doesn't typically last a decade plus.

Aside from some questionable acts Kells has a nice writer and production catalog himself. In terms of early to mid 90's R. Kelly was killing the R&B air waves. I actually didn't realize he was writing and producing most of his own material, along with other artists, until several years later.

Just sucks that some of his actions outside the industry sort of tarnished his legacy.

Aside from some questionable acts Kells has a nice writer and production catalog himself. In terms of early to mid 90's R. Kelly was killing the R&B air waves. I actually didn't realize he was writing and producing most of his own material, along with other artists, until several years later.

Just sucks that some of his actions outside the industry sort of tarnished his legacy.
Imo he's a musical genius, but that's me. Great musicians having deep personal issues, especially ones like his, isn't uncommon.

R Kelly was also very versatile. Not all of his writing sounded like he was an illiterate drop out.

Back
Top Bottom