No NEW EDITION MOVIE thread?

Cool scene with Al B Sure present too
I'm surprised they gave him lines. The tour exposed how bad he was live vocally.

With that said, this was extremely well done. It shows what BET is capable of when Viacom keeps their hands out of it. My mom, who was a big NE fan back in the day, said that Ralph was the most accurate from the look to the sound of his voice.

When it comes to mini series on music groups, New Edition Story > The Temptations > Jacksons: An American Dream.

Now its coming out that Ralph recorded Every Little Step because Bobby was on a drug run when he was supposed to be in the studio.

aeb6be9d0ab39491a32067f8f768ef6e.jpg

:smh:

00595616_.jpg
Got damn............those things are so damn THICK

Last edited:
I was shocked NE was still the headliner over Bobby at that point. It always seemed like it would have been reversed.

That was their first album. Diary Of A Mad Band and The show, after party, hotel are great front to back.

I agree

With that said, this was extremely well done. It shows what BET is capable of when Viacom keeps their hands out of it. My mom, who was a big NE fan back in the day, said that Ralph was the most accurate from the look to the sound of his voice.

When it comes to mini series on music groups, New Edition Story > The Temptations > Jacksons: An American Dream.

I think Ricky Bell was the only one who seemed totally off. Even Johnny, it was a voice thing.

Everyone else if you saw a pic you would know who was who, but you would need a process of elimination for him.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone can play The Show, The After Party, The Hotel all the way through. There was a skit after every single song which drove me nuts as a kid. And that's the only album of theirs that DeVante wasn't heavily involved in the producing. It's my least favorite Jodeci album but it still has joints.

She was big back in the 90's

I remember from when she was Jason's Lyric and Treach.

Don't know if anyone can play The Show, The After Party, The Hotel all the way through. There was a skit after every single song which drove me nuts as a kid. And that's the only album of theirs that DeVante wasn't heavily involved in the producing. It's my least favorite Jodeci album but it still has joints.

I feel the opposite. It's my favorite. I only like three songs on Forever My Lady, I liked half of Diary and pretty much all of The Show. The skits were fine, because it went along with the theme of the album.

and who did most of the production beside Devante?

Last edited:
I liked the first 6 songs on the first 2 albums, I love them. Then the sound changes around 7 on both. I always thought that was a wild coincidence.

Stevie J and a few other people did majority of the production on The Show. I've seen it in a few interviews. I'm kind of tight I can't remember the other people. They said DeVante was feeling himself for real, caught up in Hollywood and didn't want to really work so he had other people do it.

Last edited:
I liked the first 6 songs on the first 2 albums, I love them. Then the sound changes around 7 on both. I always thought that was a wild coincidence.

Stevie J and a few other people did majority of the production on The Show. I've seen it in a few interviews. I'm kind of tight I can't remember the other people. They said DeVante was feeling himself for real, caught up in Hollywood and didn't want to really work so he had other people do it.

Stevie J and Tim are credited on a couple of songs, but there's still a difference in a beat marker and producer.

Last edited:
I've heard genuwine talk about how Devante was working on Freak'n You for days. Either way that was a great album. The skits fit the album, some of those beats was hard as a MFer :smh: :pimp:

Stevie J and Tim are credited on a couple of songs, but there's still a difference in a beat marker and producer.

Yea the beat maker does the work and the producer gets the credit

Nah. Definitely not the case with somebody like Devante who was writing pretty much all their songs.

Last edited:
Like I said, Stevie J and other people in that camp at the time have said he wasn't that involved. The previous two albums, he did damn near all the writing and producing. The Show, he checked out. There's some good documentaries and interviews about Jodeci. I've seen some good ones on YouTube. I want to say that album had Timbaland heavily involved too but I can't remember.

The third album sounds very different from the the other two joints.

Last edited:
Stevie J is only credited for 2 joints. Tim has no production credits too. I don't know about that "he checked out" stuff when he wrote the bulk of the album. :lol:

Last edited:
By the third album, it wasn't just Jodeci. DeVante had his own label and like 20-30 artists/producers. Many of them have said DeVante did them dirty and wasn't doing **** on that third album. If you doubt it or if you're that interested hit YouTube. There's some really good **** on there. They would do the work, he would take credit.

I feel like Stevie J even said it again on Combat Jack or a different podcast

And DeVante was treating his artists and producers like prisoners. Stealing credit isn't surprising at all

Last edited:
Now its coming out that Ralph recorded Every Little Step because Bobby was on a drug run when he was supposed to be in the studio.

It's not like he recorded the whole song. I've listened to it hundreds of times and you can't even hear his voice. There are sites that talk about it and they've said even New Edition members could tell where Ralph filled in. I'm guessing he just put the finishes touches on it.

But I definitely agree about dude playing Ralph looking the most accurate of everyone. Dude who played Bobby is second to me

JG changed the game

After seeing this movie, i began looking up Johnny's discography. Had no idea his voice was THAT sick!

That can you stand the rain scene :smokin  

GOAT scene. Totally forgot how much of a wedding song this is. Damn, i slept on NE.

I'm proud of this mini series. The casting and production value are fantastic. Didn't think BET would actually put something out that could compete come awards season. Couldn't sleep so ended up watching both last night.

Yeah man. This is up there with the "Made for TV" movies of all time. This was damn near flawless.

New Edition might be the best R&B group of all time, once i start to ponder about it...

Minus the Ohio Players, the Stylistics, The Supremes, The Whispers, if you want to categorize those 70's bands as "Soul" music instead of "R&B" then New Edition by be the GOAT R&B group. Dru Hill in terms of worldwide success might have an argument for being the best, as well.

Last edited:
They are top five most successful boy bands of all time. They successfully made itt from teen sensations and all members had solo success.

They are top five most successful boy bands of all time. They successfully made itt from teen sensations and all members had solo success.

In real life, they're definitely top 5. In real life they're probably #2. But I guess it depends what you call success. They're pioneers. But if we're talking sales, not even sure they're top 15 all time.

By the third album, it wasn't just Jodeci. DeVante had his own label and like 20-30 artists/producers. Many of them have said DeVante did them dirty and wasn't doing **** on that third album. If you doubt it or if you're that interested hit YouTube. There's some really good **** on there. They would do the work, he would take credit.

I feel like Stevie J even said it again on Combat Jack or a different podcast

And DeVante was treating his artists and producers like prisoners. Stealing credit isn't surprising at all

Just going by what I've heard.

They all had atleast one platinum album solo in side groups. How groups can say ALL their members did that.

Ralph and JG both went plat solo

Bobby went multi plat twice

BBD went multi plat.

I've listened to this New Edition song more than any other of theirs. Probably due to the fact I was in 6th grade when it came out, so when I got home from school, it was always on BET lol. I still play it til this day. It's on my phone and on my 90s mix cd in my car for when I need it.

I've listened to this New Edition song more than any other of theirs. Probably due to the fact I was in 6th grade when it came out, so when I got home from school, it was always on BET lol. I still play it til this day. It's on my phone and on my 90s mix cd in my car for when I need it.

Couldn't embed the music video

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom