• Warriors in 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warriors in 7

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

No one in here cares about adv stats and inefficiency until LBJ starts playing inefficient.

Now all of a sudden it matters?

Advance stats are always brought up in this thread. Always. 

And usually discredited, :lol:

Ah, I see what you're saying.

But I'm sure the opposite is also true. Guys that usually go ape poop over advance stats aren't speaking up for it now. 

There's going to be drops in efficiency in the postseason, it happens.

There's going to be drops in efficiency when 2 All Star players are out.

Spo's system was built to maximize efficiency for Wade and LBJ, it's not really surprising he hasn't been able to be as efficient w/ Cleveland, especially in the postseason considering the circumstances.

The fact that they've still won 2 games w/ LBJ being as inefficient as he has been should speak volumes about his impact elsewhere.

No one in here cares about adv stats and inefficiency until LBJ starts playing inefficient.

Now all of a sudden it matters?

Advance stats are always brought up in this thread. Always. 

And usually discredited,
laugh.gif
Ah, I see what you're saying.

But I'm sure the opposite is also true. Guys that usually go ape poop over advance stats aren't speaking up for it now. 

Spo's system was built to maximize efficiency for Wade and LBJ, it's not really surprising he hasn't been able to be as efficient w/ Cleveland, especially in the postseason considering the circumstances.

The fact that they've still won 2 games w/ LBJ being as inefficient as he has been should speak volumes about his impact elsewhere.
I didn't ask for all of that.

I was simply pointing out that the opposite was also true. Which you just displayed so perfectly. 

Or the fact that he has two beasts down low to rebound all his bricks.

it never was, some people use it to cover up the fact that they dont actually know much about the game but other than that no one really cares about it 
i dont know to much about advanced stats tbh. i first started hearing the term in the S&T regular season thread last year.

when did advanced stats being the go to measuring stick?
it never was, some people use it to cover up the fact that they dont actually know much about the game but other than that no one really cares about it 

I love you guys, never change, pls.

i dont know to much about advanced stats tbh. i first started hearing the term in the S&T regular season thread last year.

Adv stats aren't even that advanced, that's the funny thing.

Dudes will LOL @ PER but then bring up box score stats when its the essentially the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's like the whole point of advanced stats - confusing stuff normal people don't know. i think it obviously works, it just takes away from the argument "you never played in the nba so shut the hell up"

there are two basic kinds of advanced stats. 

the most useless type is the ones that aim to do too much. these stats try to combine a bunch of different stats and come up with a single number that implies a players value. PER and win shares are a good example of this as some fools think they are a good representation of a player's production when really they are meaningless numbers that dont tell you anything of importance.

the second type is the overly specific type. these are the "he shoots 20% with his left hand from the right side of the key" or "defenders stick on him more than the average shooter" these stats can be interesting and are good to know for game planning but stat nerds love to jump on the leaders in this obscure categories and massively overrate them. dudes were saying kyle korver was a top 5 sg because of his gravity or something. the reason kids like to do this is because it is mandatory in the never ending circle jerk ritual that helps them feel more knowledgeable than the average basketball fan. 

that's like the whole point of advanced stats - confusing stuff normal people don't know. i think it obviously works, it just takes away from the argument "you never played in the nba so shut the hell up"
its not at all confusing, it just tries to oversimplify things that dont need to be over simplified 

take PER for example

it takes all the regular box score stats and creates a nice number for people to admire

however everyone values points, rebounds and assists differently but PER only takes into account how the sweaty unathletic nerd who came up with the garbage values each stat. 

this and actually watching the games is all you need

tbh the only important stat in basketball is the W/L record 
and chips. yea like i guess i can admire the effort and it can be neat... like snapple facts.

"count to 5" - mamba

tbh you do sound smarter when you throw advanced stats around.

"____ averaged 20-6-8 last season"

vs

"____ had a PER of 41 & was tops in the league in win shares with 17."

Last edited:
Adv stats aren't even that advanced, that's the funny thing.

Dudes will LOL @ PER but then bring up box score stats when its the essentially the same thing.

Or use a team's points per game but act like points per possession is some kind of witchcraft. People loved to do this with D'Antoni's Suns teams.

its not at all confusing, it just tries to oversimplify things that dont need to be over simplified 

take PER for example

it takes all the regular box score stats and creates a nice number for people to admire

however everyone values points, rebounds and assists differently but PER only takes into account how the sweaty unathletic nerd who came up with the garbage values each stat. 
what about WARP and stuff. maybe y'all have it all figured out, it's confusing to me personally. but i definitely believe every team has a squad of advanced metrics guys so there's probably something to it 

take PER for example

what about WARP and stuff. maybe y'all have it all figured out, it's confusing to me personally. but i definitely believe every team has a squad of advanced metrics guys so there's probably something to it 
WARP is a stat that works in baseball so lames tried to create a basketball version of it

it aims to estimate player value with a single number which should raise all sorts of red flags as all stats that aim to do this end up being useless garbage 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom