Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Smash Bros. Will Change the Way Edge-Guarding Works
Vague comments from creator Masahiro Sakurai make it difficult to discern just how edge guarding will work in the new Smash Bros.
by Jose Otero JANUARY 22, 2014

Last night on Miiverse, Smash Bros creator Masahiro Sakurai posted some new details about how edge guarding would change in the new game.

“There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab, ” Sakurai said. In a follow up post, Sakurai included additional changes to periods of invincibility while hanging on a ledge, and how grab controls would no longer be affected by specific damage percentage.

In previous games, edge guarding is an attempt to prevent a player who has been knocked off the stage from recovering and climbing back on.

It’s unsure just how Sakurai’s changes will effect edge guarding in Smash Bros, but the changes could ultimately have a big impact on the way matches play out. It is important to remember this game is still in development, so inevitably more changes are on the way.

Super Smash Bros for Wii and 3DS is expected to release in 2014. Recently, King Dedede was announced as the 21st character on the roster. Check out IGN’s Smash Wiki for a comprehensive collection of all the screenshots so far.

This seems to be the sentiment of a lot of people on the internet and is proof to me that most gamers have been mis-educated by the smoke and mirrors Sony and Microsoft provide. They fool everyone into thinking graphics make a console "next gen."

You ask why anyone would spend $300 dollars on a console when a "next gen" system is ONLY $100 more, yet you bought a Wii U and enjoy it. You answered your own question.The graphically inferior Wii provided the most next gen experience in the wiimote.The graphically inferior PS2 and PSOne provided the some of most diverse library of games ever. History tells us that people would spend $300 on graphically inferior console if it has the best gaming experiences.

All Nintendo has to do is repeat what they have already done with the 3DS. Release compelling software at a high clip and continue to market the platform. This will ensure they are profitable... something Sony and Microsoft continue to fail at.
You make some good points and I probably should have worded things differently. I don't like to miss out on any potential good games. If I had to choose just 1 console, I still wouldn't take the Wii U. I believe that Nintendo games are second to none in terms of fun, creativity, innovation etc. but the fact is they don't drop too often IMO. Sony and Microsoft drop great exclusive games too and they do it more often IMO due to 3rd party developers. It sucks that 3rd party developers sway away from Nintendo, but they do. As someone who enjoys gaming on a daily basis, I can't sit around waiting for Nintendo to drop exclusives every blue moon. Fortunately I believe this will be a good year for Nintendo with the upcoming software and hopefully they will announce more at E3.

This seems to be the sentiment of a lot of people on the internet and is proof to me that most gamers have been mis-educated by the smoke and mirrors Sony and Microsoft provide. They fool everyone into thinking graphics make a console "next gen."

You ask why anyone would spend $300 dollars on a console when a "next gen" system is ONLY $100 more, yet you bought a Wii U and enjoy it. You answered your own question.The graphically inferior Wii provided the most next gen experience in the wiimote.The graphically inferior PS2 and PSOne provided the some of most diverse library of games ever. History tells us that people would spend $300 on graphically inferior console if it has the best gaming experiences.

All Nintendo has to do is repeat what they have already done with the 3DS. Release compelling software at a high clip and continue to market the platform. This will ensure they are profitable... something Sony and Microsoft continue to fail at.
You make some good points and I probably should have worded things differently. I don't like to miss out on any potential good games. If I had to choose just 1 console, I still wouldn't take the Wii U. I believe that Nintendo games are second to none in terms of fun, creativity, innovation etc. but the fact is they don't drop too often IMO. Sony and Microsoft drop great exclusive games too and they do it more often IMO due to 3rd party developers. It sucks that 3rd party developers sway away from Nintendo, but they do. As someone who enjoys gaming on a daily basis, I can't sit around waiting for Nintendo to drop exclusives every blue moon. Fortunately I believe this will be a good year for Nintendo with the upcoming software and hopefully they will announce more at E3.
i think the wii u is a good supplemental console
like having a ps3/wii or 360/wii last gen
getting the best from both

WII U
DELUXE MARIO U AND LUIGI U WII U 32GB BUNDLE FOR $259

JANUARY 22, 2014
eBay trading company Buy is offering gamers a chance to purchase the 32GB Wii U Deluxe console with New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U for $259 with free shipping. If you haven’t already purchased a Wii U then you can’t go too wrong at this price.

here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-U-32GB-...r-Mario-U-Super-Luigi-U-/161205717810?afsrc=1

i think the wii u is a good supplemental console
like having a ps3/wii or 360/wii last gen
getting the best from both
Ultimately that was the point I was trying to make. I recommend having a Nintendo console and a PS and/or Xbox. Me personally I have to own all consoles just for the simple fact I hate to miss out on any good games
laugh.gif
 I'd have a decked out PC if I knew anything about them

Points well taken. I do agree that the lack compelling software on the Wii U has put Nintendo in a bad situation in 2013, but they still have time to get things together. People have purchased upwards of 4 million PS4's, 3 millions plus XBox One's, and 5 millions Wii U's on the promise they will deliver the best gaming experiences the next 6 years. Overall there is still roughly 200 million+ potential buyers out there on the market for these new systems.

I believe 2014 will be a very pivotal year in terms of software released that will set the tone of the rest of the generation. Time will tell if Nintendo can increase their software offerings and if Sony and Microsoft can deliver on their promises with their systems. Bring on the GAMES!

Last edited:
I don't know my friend code off the top of my head but I look to gaming with you guys when MK8 and SSB drops
pimp.gif

You should get a decked out PC with all the deals on Steam
pimp.gif
I'm in the process of trying to get help on building a PC, I have the slightest clue about RAM, graphic cards, core processor. I had just seen gameplay of Phantasy Star Online 2 and seen there was an English patch and decided it was time to get a gaming PC
laugh.gif

Project M has rekindled my love for Smash. Its like 100,000 times better.
like i enjoyed brawl
and still thinks its a good game its just that
it kinda made every character equal in terms of how heavy they were before they could be thrown and seem slower

I'm in the process of trying to get help on building a PC, I have the slightest clue about RAM, graphic cards, core processor. I had just seen gameplay of Phantasy Star Online 2 and seen there was an English patch and decided it was time to get a gaming PC
laugh.gif
Whats your budget?

Sony and Ms fool people into thinking graphics are next Gen? how?
Improvement in graphics has always been a showcase feature when moving on to a new generation. Its expected which is why all the platform holders show tech demos.

Both of them know graphics isn' everything which is why MS is pushing the Kinect and it being an all in one system and Sony is pushing towards social connectivity within the gaming community and their ecosystem.

The reason why the Wiiu is in a bad position is because it doesn't even do the basics right. It's much weaker compared to it's rivals and it,s architecture and immature Dev tools makes it harder to develop for than the x86 systems, it has no third party support, Nintendos network is not on the same level as Psn Or live and they don't have a unified account system. The hardware itself comes with 32GB space, no ethernet port and digital analog triggers etc etc

There is no point touting the gamepad if the rest of the hardware isn't up to scratch. It's like a real estate agent showing off a house's fancy back garden and tyring to use it as a selling point even though the house itself is full of leaks and cracks.

As for being profitable, the Wiiu is losing them money. Its wiping out their 3DS profits which is why they're projecting a loss.

Its easy to say they should do what they've done to make the 3DS Succesful but things are much harder for the Wiiu. They can't slash the price since they'll take a greater loss. They have stiff competition from Ms and Sony while the 3ds has a monopoly in the handheld market. They've also just hit the Hd hurdle which would impact their turnover for games and while the 3DS has an abundance of third party support from Japan, the Wiiu is the complete opposite.

Is the Wii U really doing that bad? Total sales as of now, Wii u 5.5, PS4 4.6 and XboxOne 3.2. Yes I know the Wii u had a year head start! Last couple of months sales have been really good (WW). Now all the console sales have slow down (expected after holiday rush). If I didn't know any better, I would swear Wii U total sales wouldn't even be a million by all the bad press lately! Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Zelda etc..... still lots of heavy hitters to come.

Sony and Ms fool people into thinking graphics are next Gen? how?
Improvement in graphics has always been a showcase feature when moving on to a new generation. Its expected which is why all the platform holders show tech demos.

Both of them know graphics isn' everything which is why MS is pushing the Kinect and it being an all in one system and Sony is pushing towards social connectivity within the gaming community and their ecosystem.

They fool their fans into thinking graphics equal "next gen" when they overemphasize 8 gigs of ram. They fool their fans by showing tech demos that look nothing like the actual released versions... Sony in particular are notorious for over promising and under delivering. This overall statement is very disingenuous as you contradict yourself in the very next statement when you bring up power as a reason the Wii U is not performing well.

The reason why the Wiiu is in a bad position is because it doesn't even do the basics right. It's much weaker compared to it's rivals and it,s architecture and immature Dev tools makes it harder to develop for than the x86 systems, it has no third party support, Nintendos network is not on the same level as Psn Or live and they don't have a unified account system. The hardware itself comes with 32GB space, no ethernet port and digital analog triggers etc etc

The basis to your argument is that its "weaker" hardware and lesser online infrastructure is the reason for the Wii U's downfall, yet the original Wii had weaker hardware and had a lesser online infrastructure last generation and sold the most games and consoles. PS2 was considerably weaker than Gamecube and the original XBox and was considered the best because of the games. PSOne was considerably weaker than N64 and was considered the best because of the games. Power does not matter, lack of compelling software is the reason the Wii U is not successful.

There is no point touting the gamepad if the rest of the hardware isn't up to scratch. It's like a real estate agent showing off a house's fancy back garden and tyring to use it as a selling point even though the house itself is full of leaks and cracks.

Again bringing up power as the one all be all and completely ignoring games and game play. Hardware not being up to scratch is your opinion as there fans and developers who feel the hardware is fine with great looking games. This is a moot point.

As for being profitable, the Wiiu is losing them money. Its wiping out their 3DS profits which is why they're projecting a loss.

Its easy to say they should do what they've done to make the 3DS Succesful but things are much harder for the Wiiu. They can't slash the price since they'll take a greater loss. They have stiff competition from Ms and Sony while the 3ds has a monopoly in the handheld market. They've also just hit the Hd hurdle which would impact their turnover for games and while the 3DS has an abundance of third party support from Japan, the Wiiu is the complete opposite.

Now all of a sudden Nintendo has a monopoly in the handheld market when Sony has failed to compete with the 3DS. 2 years ago the same thing people are saying about the Wii U they are saying about the 3DS. They said it was lacking games, no one cares about 3D, its under powered, lack 3rd party support, etc. Now that its a success of course its easy to say its the complete opposite to the Wii U.

Nintendo makes profit from all of their home consoles when it is said and done. They initially lost money on the Gamecube (their least successful home console) yet made a profit on that. Nintendo is the only company in this industry who consistently makes a profit.

Last edited:
Is the Wii U really doing that bad? Total sales as of now, Wii u 5.5, PS4 4.6 and XboxOne 3.2. Yes I know the Wii u had a year head start! Last couple of months sales have been really good (WW). Now all the console sales have slow down (expected after holiday rush). If I didn't know any better, I would swear Wii U total sales wouldn't even be a million by all the bad press lately! Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Zelda etc..... still lots of heavy hitters to come.

Exactly my point. Lets judge these consoles once the heavy hitters are out. People forget the Wii U sold over 3 million when it first came and fell off when it had a major software drought.

People also said the Wii U would be dead once the XBox One and PS4 arrived. Then Pikmen came, then Zelda:WW came, then Wonderful 101 came, then Mario 3D World came and now its selling again. It's all about the games.... always have and always will be.

nintendo also does a great job with using different graphic styles to make up for its system differences 

i really dont care about how real the dogs in CoD look but after all these years you can play wind waker on the gamecube and the graphics dont look out of date at all

in terms of a lot of nintendo franchises, i honestly dont see how or why they would need to make mario look more detailed than he looks in 3D world

the funny thing is how sony has been copying nintendo for years now but they make it seem like nintendo is the one trying to keep up

the PS1 controller was pretty much the SNES one with handles

N64 comes out with the analog stick and next think you know the PS2 controler also has analog sticks

nintendo comes out with a rumble pack addon to the N64 controller and a while later sony comes out with the dual shock with a built in rumble pack

the wii comes out with motion controls and now the ps4 controller has motion controls 

i would rather get a system that creates new ways to play and enjoy games (gamepad, wii remotes) than the same system with a better processor every 5 years

Ultimately that was the point I was trying to make. I recommend having a Nintendo console and a PS and/or Xbox. Me personally I have to own all consoles just for the simple fact I hate to miss out on any good games :lol:  I'd have a decked out PC if I knew anything about them

Get a decked PC. You will never touch your Xbox or PS again unless its a exclusive promise.

For a budget of give or take $800 you can get something great parts list if no then

This is a good for the price machine if you want a prebuilt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229495R

Case is Ugly imo but for the price the components arent bad for a start.

Last edited:
nintendo also does a great job with using different graphic styles to make up for its system differences 

i really dont care about how real the dogs in CoD look but after all these years you can play wind waker on the gamecube and the graphics dont look out of date at all

in terms of a lot of nintendo franchises, i honestly dont see how or why they would need to make mario look more detailed than he looks in 3D world

the funny thing is how sony has been copying nintendo for years now but they make it seem like nintendo is the one trying to keep up

the PS1 controller was pretty much the SNES one with handles

N64 comes out with the analog stick and next think you know the PS2 controler also has analog sticks

nintendo comes out with a rumble pack addon to the N64 controller and a while later sony comes out with the dual shock with a built in rumble pack

the wii comes out with motion controls and now the ps4 controller has motion controls 

i would rather get a system that creates new ways to play and enjoy games (gamepad, wii remotes) than the same system with a better processor every 5 years
dualshock one was released before ps2, and i'm assuming N64, with both analog and rumble. good points otherwise

Smash Bros. Will Change the Way Edge-Guarding Works
Vague comments from creator Masahiro Sakurai make it difficult to discern just how edge guarding will work in the new Smash Bros.
by Jose Otero JANUARY 22, 2014

Last night on Miiverse, Smash Bros creator Masahiro Sakurai posted some new details about how edge guarding would change in the new game.
This is gonna be so clutch.

Nintendo needs to stop putting all their energy and emphasis on their damn handhelds and put some serious attention into their consoles.

Then they'll be back on top.

I want a Wii U. But I'm not buying one if they're seriously considering building a new system.

Why would a "rumored" Nintendo system deter you from purchasing a Wii U? Company's always begin R&D on new consoles years before they are released. This is nothing new.

This negative press Nintendo is getting is ridiculous. Sony is one failure away from going out of business, yet the media has people believing Nintendo is the one who is in trouble.... HILARIOUS!

People love catchy headlines but don't bother reading the info, you won't see big headlines about the fact that Nintendo, a VIDEO GAME company was recently stated to be more valuable than Sony as a whole.

Like it has been stated, Nintendo need to have a 3DS redux for the Wii U. I really hope that Mario Kart begins the flood of games because even though I love DK and I will be buying that game, that game alone wont start the sales.

I don't know about ya'll but I cannot wait for this game, donated for the Wii U version when it was on Kickstarter but might end up double dipping for the 3DS version as well.

On another topic, this is why I didn't believe/post the rumors about Nintendo's next console.

http://kotaku.com/tracking-down-the-odd-rumors-about-nintendos-next-cons-1506566012

The gist of it, is that the person who leaked said Rumor doesn't even know who he got it from.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom