NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record I think the Bears had the best defense the league last year but the 9ers were second when healthy.

How great can your defense be if one guy getting hurt turns the defense mediocre?

You said Houston got exposed but Cushing and j Joseph were hurt most of the season, an argument can be made that their injuries just happened earlier in the season.

Texan fans can easily make the excuse you are trying to make.

Um no, please point out where I even said anything about Houston being exposed.

So if Ray lewis were to have gotten hurt during the 01 season, that defense wouldve still been great? You acting like the best player on a top defense means nothing.

If Rogers sat out, would the Packers still have a Great offense?

Our secondary is the weakest part of the defense no doubt, but even the best secondaries wouldve gotten cooked with the lack of pressure we were getting at QBs.

And I agree, once Justin went down, the defense was never the same.

But you take take away the best player from any of the Great defenses, none of them would be as dominant.

thats the thing though, thats what makes that defense not great.

Losing ONE player completely ruined it.

Aldon Smith went AWOL and those DBs were cooked.

Look at other defenses that people considered "great' throughout the season.

- Houston

Had it not been for Watt putting that defense on his back, it wouldve been a :x :smh: season, and it was at points.

Cush was lost, JJ played hurt with a groin (as a DB), and out Pash rush disappeared.

- Seattle

Lack of pass rush ruined them, they couldnt pressure the QB and it didnt allow their secondary to impose their will and be physical with the WRs.

- Broncos.

as Weird as it sounds but with Peyton giving that defense a cushion early on in games, it hid the holes on that defense.

You could run on them, which all the teams that beat them did.

you took Doom and Von out the game, and their running stopping wasnt that great and you could pick on those DBs.

See why there wasnt any great defenses this season? just some very good ones.

How great can your defense be if one guy getting hurt turns the defense mediocre?

You said Houston got exposed but Cushing and j Joseph were hurt most of the season, an argument can be made that their injuries just happened earlier in the season.

Texan fans can easily make the excuse you are trying to make.

Um no, please point out where I even said anything about Houston being exposed.

So if Ray lewis were to have gotten hurt during the 01 season, that defense wouldve still been great? You acting like the best player on a top defense means nothing.

If Rogers sat out, would the Packers still have a Great offense?[/quote]

I'm a Lions fan you are asking the wrong person that question.

I'm not a Niners fan, and I've always expressed my dislike for Alex Smith -- but he's already swayed my judgement and I think he's a good quarterback.

I feel totally sorry for him now.  Not only does he lose his starting job due to injury, the 49ers organization has the audacity to thank him for everything he's done by sending him to the worst team in the NFL.  (I don't mean any harm to KC fans, but if you're picking first -- you're the worst.)

If they had even an ounce of respect for the man, they would've just let him go.  At least then he'd have options.  Not to mention his only shot at a payday would be through good play for the Chiefs... and with Dwayne Bowe gone?  Good luck.  Have fun handing the ball off to Jamaal Charles and watching him get injured.

I realize it's a business, but the Niners have been in it shady.

I'm not a Niners fan, and I've always expressed my dislike for Alex Smith -- but he's already swayed my judgement and I think he's a good quarterback.

I feel totally sorry for him now.  Not only does he lose his starting job due to injury, the 49ers organization has the audacity to thank him for everything he's done by sending him to the worst team in the NFL.  (I don't mean any harm to KC fans, but if you're picking first -- you're the worst.)

If they had even an ounce of respect for the man, they would've just let him go.  At least then he'd have options.  Not to mention his only shot at a payday would be through good play for the Chiefs... and with Dwayne Bowe gone?  Good luck.  Have fun handing the ball off to Jamaal Charles and watching him get injured.

I realize it's a business, but the Niners have been in it shady.

Alex Smith provided the Niners with a list of teams he would like to be sent to. According to reports, the Chiefs were near if not at the top of the list. Even if this list thing never happened, and Alex was allowed to pick his team....what would have been a better option for him? The Jets? Jaguars? Browns? Raiders? Bills? Fact of the matter is, regardless of where Alex was going to end up, he would have ended up on a terrible team. There arent any teams that I can think of that are without a good QB, that are actually good teams. Can you?

I really dont agree with any of this post man. Feel bad for him? Alex has been a below average QB for most of his tenure in San Francisco. He had 1.5 efficient seasons out of 8. You are seriously saying that if you ran an NFL team, you would rather release a player than trade him for two second round picks, because its disrespectful? Thats just silly. Dont see how its shady in the slightest bit.

Last edited:
the 49ers organization has the audacity to thank him for everything he's done by sending him to the worst team in the NFL.
You ever heard of the Jaguars or Raiders champ??
I feel totally sorry for him now.
He's been with us for 8 years...................that's 2 presidential terms, two.  Alex Smith has had WAY more than enough time to earn/keep his stay in San Fran and didn't manage to do so, and that's on Alex.  Don't feel sorry for Alex champ, feel sorry us 49ers fans that had to deal with his lackluster performance for so many years.

He's getting a chance to start and Andy Reid WANTED him. He can't go to a great team because they're probably set at QB, so he can't have it both ways. I'm sure he's just happy with his new situation.

And Deuce is right...He's had more than enough opportunity. The Niners and Harbaugh stuck by him when they didn't have to and this is how it ended up playing out. Better for both parties.

Last edited:
He's been with us for 8 years...................that's 2 presidential terms, two.  Alex Smith has had WAY more than enough time to earn/keep his stay in San Fran and didn't manage to do so, and that's on Alex.  Don't feel sorry for Alex champ, feel sorry us 49ers fans that had to deal with his lackluster performance for so many years.
exactly..

i really wonder how that conversation went with the 49ers GM.. did they at least pause for a moment to somewhat pretend to NOT be ecstatic about the offer.. put the phone on mute and then have to regain their composure before talking to reid and co again..

i really hope all 49ers fans do the right thing and send reid an edible arrangement or something.. maybe a box of chocolates

Last edited:
Moving away from the Niners for a second :lol: Does anyone think Garrard being close to signing with the Jets is just going to be another excuse for Rex to start Sanchez? I mean Garrard is definitely serviceable enough to fill in for a year until they get their next qb but I feel as if they are going to have a "qb battle" in the preseason and Sanchez will eventually end up winning it therefore the qb situation wont change from last year besides for Tebow being gone.

if the eagels cut both there CB and all the other ones getting cut does it affect Revies Price tag?

I would think so. The injury doesn't help matters either. There's some decent to above average CB's that will be on the market that will be much cheaper, yet still effective, options.

Last edited:
Deuce what your gonna do with your Alex smith jersey now?
nerd.gif
I never had one to begin with, I never liked him and more importantly never believed in him.  I'll probably cop a Kaepernick jersey though. 

Moving away from the Niners for a second
laugh.gif
Does anyone think Garrard being close to signing with the Jets is just going to be another excuse for Rex to start Sanchez? I mean Garrard is definitely serviceable enough to fill in for a year until they get their next qb but I feel as if they are going to have a "qb battle" in the preseason and Sanchez will eventually end up winning it therefore the qb situation wont change from last year besides for Tebow being gone.
think the jets will end up with garrard or brady quinn.  would love them to try and steal flynn away from seahawks.

I'm gonna miss seeing Mike Williams bust Dunta Robinson's punk *** two times a year and Michael Turner getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage 85% of the time. But seeing that this opened up 18.5 mill in cap space and they must have some sort of replacements already picked out kinda scares me......

I'm thinking their replacements are probably Steven Jackson, Dwight Freeney and a rookie corner like Trufant or Banks.

not gonna lie...i dont wanna see Steven Jackson in ATL, he would be a beast in that Offense. im interested to see where Grimes ends up, i hope Carolina at least takes a look at him.

LOL@ NT feel sorry for Alex. Are yall serious? Do yall know how many Millions this guy has made from the San Francisco 49ers?

Feel bad for someone who lost their 5 figure a year job, and is struggling to find work elsewhere in todays economy. Yall really feelin bad for a QB that has made over 50 million dollars in his career producing two decent seasons. :lol:

Life, can this be?

You ever heard of the Jaguars or Raiders champ??

QFT. And out of those 8 years he played his best for only 1 and a half years. Credit Jimmy for that. Alex made his money and we gave chances after chances. He has million reasons to be happy. We owe him no pity. Remember he's a former #1 overall pick for crying out loud! But we got a lot for him, so thanks for that Alex!

Sans the divisional playoff game against the Saints last season, Niner fans will remember Alex Smith's main contribution to our franchise taking place on March 12, 2013.

I'm gonna miss seeing Mike Williams bust Dunta Robinson's punk *** two times a year and Michael Turner getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage 85% of the time. But seeing that this opened up 18.5 mill in cap space and they must have some sort of replacements already picked out kinda scares me......

I'm thinking their replacements are probably Steven Jackson, Dwight Freeney and a rookie corner like Trufant or Banks.

Falcons said they going to see if steven jackson stays on free agency for a long time so his money goes down before signing him. It does look like Grimes and Moore are staying plus they starting early so they can give Matt Ryan his money.

did I read right that the 49ers have 15 picks in this draft?

Yep. Unfortunately for the League, the Niners are in GREAT position this offseason. No way they use all those picks, which means they probably getting something of value in return. Add pieces to where they need and they should come out looking like strong favorites for next years SB.

:smh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom