NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense was in was "exposed" in the sense that it needs a 30+ year old player to produce at a high level to be good.

However with their plethora of draft picks they have to the tools to draft his replacement.

Totally agree with you that championships need to be won to be considered a dynasty. What I dont agree with is that our defense was exposed in the playoffs. Our two monster pass rushers were both playing hurt......and their lack of consistent pressure (something they did all season long), caused our secondary to look ordinary.

Of course, we need to resign Goldson....but the idea that our D was exposed is laughable if you knew the circumstances.
so the whole defense giving up so many points was due to the fact that 2 players out of 11 were not able to get to the qb/injured? i understand how important pass rushing is and how a good pass rush makes the qb get rid of the ball quickly. however, if a defense is as good as the 9ers were rated they would of adjusted through out the playoffs. yes they made it to the superbowl but they gave up a lot of points for a defense that was labeled one of the best. i get injuries play a role but you cannot hang on two injuries with a defense as talented as theirs.

San Fran is working the way 90's Dallas and NE do. Make runs, then have multiple extra picks EACH year thereafter.

They ain't even use their first or second rounders from last year yet. They'll be ready for this year, same as Kap sitting a year.

SOLID built squad.

so the whole defense giving up so many points was due to the fact that 2 players out of 11 were not able to get to the qb/injured? i understand how important pass rushing is and how a good pass rush makes the qb get rid of the ball quickly. however, if a defense is as good as the 9ers were rated they would of adjusted through out the playoffs. yes they made it to the superbowl but they gave up a lot of points for a defense that was labeled one of the best. i get injuries play a role but you cannot hang on two injuries with a defense as talented as theirs.

their defense was strong up the middle for the most part but the secondary was meh.

the corner play was average and i remember reading that their safeties gave up the most TDs combined or something to that extent.

the defense was very good, not great.

front 7 was good, back was alright, no pass rush exposed that.

their defense was strong up the middle for the most part but the secondary was meh.

the corner play was average and i remember reading that their safeties gave up the most TDs combined or something to that extent.

the defense was very good, not great.

front 7 was good, back was alright, no pass rush exposed that.
agree

I said earlier that if the Chiefs get Alex Smith they're capable of going from having the 1st pick to a playoff birth next year. They're only 2 years removed from the playoffs and during those 2 years have had unfortunate season ending injuries on both sides of the ball to their key players along with Cassell being god awful. They have talent on that team and if Alex Smith plays anything like he did this year there's no reason they couldn't receive of playoff birth. Andy Reid being a good coach and the AFC being weak helps as well.

Id rather we dont go after Revis. We need to pay other guys and hes going to hold out every other year for a new contract anyway.

I said earlier that if the Chiefs get Alex Smith they're capable of going from having the 1st pick to a playoff birth next year. They're only 2 years removed from the playoffs and during those 2 years have had unfortunate season ending injuries on both sides of the ball to their key players along with Cassell being god awful. They have talent on that team and if Alex Smith plays anything like he did this year there's no reason they couldn't receive of playoff birth. Andy Reid being a good coach and the AFC being weak helps as well.

Yep

I'm gonna disagree somewhat and only put partial blame on the injuries to Justin and Aldon Smith. If they were 100% using only a front 4 would've been more effective, but they weren't. But that's all I'll say about that. I put most of the blame on Vic Fangio's defensive playcalling. If he dialed up the pressure more throughout the playoffs we would've never been in the spots we were in. If you take away a meaningless GB TD in the divisional round (coming off a lame PI call against Brown) the defense gave up a grand total of ZERO TDs in the 2nd half of each of the playoff games. Fangio should've mixed in blitzes instead of being overconfident with an ailing defense.

Are you guys really going to downplay Justin and Aldon Smith's injuries? Really? How you guys fail to see how detrimental the injuries were on our defense, is beyond me. Our pass rush was great most of the year and was non existent in the last few games and playoffs. I dont care how good your linebackers and secondary are. If you dont have a pass rush, you wont be that successful.

After thinking about it more I don't hate the trade as much as I initially thought. Still think it was too much but I get it

Are you guys really going to downplay Justin and Aldon Smith's injuries? Really? How you guys fail to see how detrimental the injuries were on our defense, is beyond me. Our pass rush was great most of the year and was non existent in the last few games and playoffs. I dont care how good your linebackers and secondary are. If you dont have a pass rush, you wont be that successful.

It's the NFL, everyone gets hurt. Deal with it.

@DMX

I don't think anyone disagrees with the trade, it's the 2 draft picks thy everyone does :lol:

You guys cutting Harrison? I heard he isn't willing to restructure :nerd:

Ben, Antonio Brown and Timmons are done, Woodley may as well. Harrison is willing to restructure but NOT for any less money. I think they keep him one more year and see how he does. No vets released but that will come soon. Saw a mock having Pitt going NT first. I don't see it

Last edited:

It's the NFL, everyone gets hurt. Deal with it.

:stoneface:

Come on man. I wasnt complaining about anything. You and other dude just made a claim that our defense got "exposed." I was simply responding to that. Having two of your top defensive players (and basically your major pass rushing players) attempting to play through injuries and being unsuccessful is not a good example of being "exposed."

A good example of being "exposed" would be giving up an average of 14.7 points per game, other than when you play a high powered offense like the Patriots and Packers....and proceed to give up an average of 41.7 points per game to those teams.

THAT my friend, is being exposed.

Ah the classic Houston rebuttal, should've known.

Your defense was exposed. Anyway you cut it.

The back end of it wasn't very good and just average.

Your pass rush was able to mask it's defenicies in the coverage game. When your pass rush went ghost, and your secondary didn't have that protection look what happened?

It was said well before the Super Bowl, attack the secondary cause it wasn't very good, and look what happened. Q and Joey went in.

And the same thing happened with Denver's defense, Von and Dumervil couldn't generate a rush, plus the fact you could run at them. And look at the end result.

Dude, Miller and Dumervil were NOT injured. I dont understand why this is so difficult for you. Being exposed in this context, would be a team/unit/player being thought of as very good, and them proving to actually not be. I'm sorry if you want to dismiss my Texans example. If you weren't a fan of theirs, you would see its a very valid example.

If a top offensive line lost their stud left tackle to injury....and all of a sudden the line looks ordinary/bad....is that being "exposed" to you?

Adrian Peterson suffered a serious injury at the end of 2011. Would you say the Vikings running game was "exposed" at the end of the season?

Of course you wouldnt.

Last edited:
You can't get mad at Houston's defense when you defend your defense because of injuries...dog, Houston's D suffered injuries too. They lost their "Patrick Willis" among other important players...

Now your playing semantics :lol:

Fine ill play.

Your defense was very good, but didn't show up when it mattered the most. There? Happy?

Cause I'm sure had you won the Super Bowl it wouldn't be an issue and excuses wouldn't be made.

Now your playing semantics :lol:

Fine ill play.

Your defense was very good, but didn't show up when it mattered the most. There? Happy?

Cause I'm sure had you won the Super Bowl it wouldn't be an issue and excuses wouldn't be made.

NOW arguing semantics? Bro its the same argument I have been making the entire time! I am not making excuses. I am simply saying our D wasnt exposed. Winning the Superbowl or not, our defense did NOT play like the defense we were used to seeing all season long....and that was 100% because of injuries to Aldon and Justin.

I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom