NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://deadspin.com/5974369/the-cow...ays-hell-be-out-of-work-for-like-five-minutes
Tim MacMahon @espn_macmahon

Rob Ryan confirms he's fired. "I'll be out of work for like 5 minutes," he said.
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

The Ryans are good in my book

Last edited:
I like Jerry Jones but this is a panic move on his part. He fired probably the best coach on that team. :lol:

Rob will get scoped up fast.

Last edited:
Rob Ryan is not a great or even good defensive coordinator (especially when you consider that dumbass outburst that got the team penalized on like 3rd and long) BUT his unit performed very well last year considering the amount of players injured on that side of the ball.

I wonder who Jerry has in mind..Lovie is available....

Last edited:
True Rob Ryan is nothing more than average at best. But this has nothing to do with him being average. It has to do with the fact that the other guy on the other side of the ball has had 6 years to implement his plans/schemes and has yielded WORSE results than the guy that has only 1/3 of the time. Jason Garrett's offense has only scdored 10 points or more in the first half of only ONE game. How on earth he has a job still when Ryan, who has had to work with Brady Poppinga, Michael Coe, Sterling Moore, and Alex Albright as starters, coupled in with having a 30% Demarcus Ware, a KB Toys NT, and a no-better-than-ST player at safety, is beyond me.

Scapegoats. I knew it the day T.O. was released that Dallas wouldn't see success. Not because we need Owens to win. But because Garrett/Jerry blame everyone else for their own shortcomings. Romo is slowly starting to go on that list too. We've changed damned near everything/everyone since 2008 and the only constant that remains are those three.

Yes I'm tight. :lol:

I don't think you can be too mad just yet...at least see who he hires first. Crennel is available. Lovie might take a DC job in Dallas, especially with the opportunity to be HC again if Garrett can't make a deep postseason run. Plus, you can't ignore the impact Demarco's absence was. Putting all that pressure on Tony Romo for like what? 7 straight games...the only running back more injury prone is Darren McFadden and even he played more games this year than Murray. And If I recall, didn't that Dallas D get washed on Thanksgiving? If ya'll win that one, maybe you're still playing football...

I don't think you can be too mad just yet...at least see who he hires first. Crennel is available. Lovie might take a DC job in Dallas, especially with the opportunity to be HC again if Garrett can't make a deep postseason run. Plus, you can't ignore the impact Demarco's absence was. Putting all that pressure on Tony Romo for like what? 7 straight games...the only running back more injury prone is Darren McFadden and even he played more games this year than Murray. And If I recall, didn't that Dallas D get washed on Thanksgiving? If ya'll win that one, maybe you're still playing football...

You definitely bring up some valid points. As you mentioned, Romo can't do it all by himself and having the 31st rushing attack in the NFL doesn't help when everyone knows you're going to be tossing it up 62 times. I also agree about seeing who we bring in.

But whats killing me is how that we can justifiably fire Ryan for his shortcomings but Jason Garrett has had control of this offense for 6 full years. What's his excuse? Rob Ryan had to work with players he just met that week since week 6. Our offense scored only 7 points or less in the first half of 15 games. How is this acceptable? Rob had to deal with the lockout ******** last year and then a super injury riddled season this year.

What also bugs me is the fact that Garrett doesn't seem to stick up for his coaches, possibly making other coaching candidates weary of coming here. Why would you want to work under Garrett when he'll probably thow you under the bus if the season is unsuccessful? I just feel like Garrett and Jerry are so similar in they are super stubborn in their ways and will make other people be the fall guy rather than admit "I made a mistake." Check JG's press conferences, he's NEVER accountable at all, and indirectly puts it on the players about "we didnt execute well." "its a process." Andy Reid time and time again has said he has to have his players more prepared, even when he really isn't as fault. That's a true leader.

If we bring in Norv Turner to be OC/call plays I'll feel slightly better. But this whole thing rubs be the wrong way and I the feeling I have is similar to when we released Owens: Scapegoat.

P.S. The Dallas D did get washed on thanksgiving but we were missing 8 starters on that D.

Last edited:
as much as i love watching dallas fail it sucks too see fellow fans in that type of distress. :smh: :smh:

Honestly the way i see it is that JJ needs yes men around him and Rob seemed the type that would tell it how it is.

its very surprising that hes gone, like he said, hell be unemployed for 5 mins, that should tell you about the situation at hand.

You definitely bring up some valid points. As you mentioned, Romo can't do it all by himself and having the 31st rushing attack in the NFL doesn't help when everyone knows you're going to be tossing it up 62 times. I also agree about seeing who we bring in.
But whats killing me is how that we can justifiably fire Ryan for his shortcomings but Jason Garrett has had control of this offense for 6 full years. What's his excuse? Rob Ryan had to work with players he just met that week since week 6. Our offense scored only 7 points or less in the first half of 15 games. How is this acceptable? Rob had to deal with the lockout ******** last year and then a super injury riddled season this year.
What also bugs me is the fact that Garrett doesn't seem to stick up for his coaches, possibly making other coaching candidates weary of coming here. Why would you want to work under Garrett when he'll probably thow you under the bus if the season is unsuccessful? I just feel like Garrett and Jerry are so similar in they are super stubborn in their ways and will make other people be the fall guy rather than admit "I made a mistake." Check JG's press conferences, he's NEVER accountable at all, and indirectly puts it on the players about "we didnt execute well." "its a process." Andy Reid time and time again has said he has to have his players more prepared, even when he really isn't as fault. That's a true leader.
If we bring in Norv Turner to be OC/call plays I'll feel slightly better. But this whole thing rubs be the wrong way and I the feeling I have is similar to when we released Owens: Scapegoat.
P.S. The Dallas D did get washed on thanksgiving but we were missing 8 starters on that D.

I get where you're coming from. This is me speculating of course, but I really believe this is Garrett's last chance as HC of the Cowboys. Although I do feel like the Cowboys offense improved once they got Demarco back, there's no denying the mismanagement in late game situations with Garrett. But, even with all of the injuries, drama, tragedy, and BS (which Garrett did a reasonable job holding the team together)...Dallas had an opportunity to make the playoffs until the very last game. The final back breaking straw came late in that game when Dallas had gotten a stop and then Rob Ryan becomes the only coordinator I've ever seen in my life get a penalty for talking **** to the ref. Unbelievable. Some mistakes are simply worse than others. And again, hypothetically speaking, if Romeo Crennel or a signs up for the position, how would you feel? Now, if Jerry hires Juan Castillo...

And as far as taking accountability as HC, sure it would be nice to see him say "this one's on me", but what really matters is the results. Andy Reid isn't the best example imo. I might be wrong here, but I can't recall Bill Belichick saying, "this one's on me."

that makes no sense.....
is josh freeman for geno smith that much better?
i dont watch alot of bucs games so idk the status of the kid.
you gotta figure bucs are taking geno, i dont think there are any DBs worth number 1 :lol:

Not that this has anything to do with the NFL, but Geno Smith dominated Rutgers every time he played them. Greg Schiano was on the other end of that besides this past year...just something to think about. I'd only do it though if it was Freeman + #43 for #1 though. That would give us the top pick plus get to keep #13. Could either grab Geno with the top pick to make sure we'd get the guy we're targeting, or take Joekel or Jarvis Jones then probably have our choice of Wilson or Barkley at #13. Either way if we keep Freeman or trade him for a rookie, I want a good backup quarterback this year. Not no Dan Orlovsky, Josh Johnson or Luke McCown poo-poo platter...I'd like to see us go after Alex Smith.

Seattle fullback Michael Robinson recorded video of fed ex field before the game to show how awful the field was. The field is worse than what you see from the game telecast.

Speaking of which, Steelers may need to switch to an artificial surface too since they host high school games on Friday nights & college games on Saturday. By the time Sunday rolls around the field is mush...

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104670&article=10679990

How in the world are the Jets $20 mil over the salary cap? :x Hearing Hue Jackson or Cam Cameron are in the mix for Jets OC :smile:lol)

Last edited:
Jason still has a job and Rob gets the axe....man :lol:

Can't make this **** up man. I'll wait and see who they hire but the guy was missing so much on that side of the ball this year and his best player played with basically one arm the final 3 games of the season. Jerry should have let him finish out the contract and get rid of that ******g turd Garrett. Blame the RB coach for ****** RB's and blame the DC for having injuries all year. Cowboys gonna Cowboy.

Jason Garrett's O was pretty good...  Rob Ryan's defense was AWFUL.  It seemed like they got ripped up in every significant game.  How could you possibly want to defend that as a Cowboys fan?

You watch any of the Cowboys? That offense/playcalling was not good at all. It was Romo basically airing it out and carrying them every game. When you're missing 5-8 starters for the majority of the season and 3-5 of your key reserves out as well, you're going to struggle to keep a defense together. He had to mix and match so much that the star CB they signed was playing safety for a while. He took a bend or break defense that usually broke and turned them into a decent bunch given what they had to deal with.

You watch any of the Cowboys? That offense/playcalling was not good at all. It was Romo basically airing it out and carrying them every game. When you're missing 5-8 starters for the majority of the season and 3-5 of your key reserves out as well, you're going to struggle to keep a defense together. He had to mix and match so much that the star CB they signed was playing safety for a while. He took a bend or break defense that usually broke and turned them into a decent bunch given what they had to deal with.
I mean I don't, really, other than the big national TV games.  I don't claim to know everything about the team.  What I saw was:

-An explosive offense good enough to hang with anyone, though definitely one that leaned too much on Romo and the downfield passing game.

And

-A defense that anyone could put 30+ on.  Now I'm not saying it's Rob Ryan's fault...  It could be a talent issue like you're saying.  It was pretty damn horrible though.  It's not like Rob Ryan has been a stud DC at any of his stops during his career, anyway.  They weren't good at all last year, did they have the same injury problems (honest question)?

The defense given what Ryan had to work with was decent, dude was literally pulling people off the street.

And the teams only pass rusher was hurt on and off throughout the season.

But the teams LB and Safety play was :x :x and he did as much as he could.

And the offense this year was :x :x from a play calling view. Literally would be 3rd and 1 and dude was calling shotgun / pass plays :lol: :smh:

I didn't expect Garrett to be gone because he's a yes man and Jones has a hard on for his decisions but Ryan? Him being fired is more shocking than Garret not being fired.

Their run defense was great in '11, it was the pass defense that failed them. That's why they went out and got Carr and Claiborne. But again, hard to make great progress when you put the big bucks in Carr out of position and add Sense having a hip problem all year. I would have given Ryan another year to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom