[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

Every manager makes mistakes, but at least Jerry has adjusted how he uses the pen lately and giving over-worked guys some much needed rest.

Overall I can't complain with his decision making as of late, and look at the lineup out there everyday. Its amazing this team is playing .500 baseball.

Win or lose the Mets have a quality they haven't had the past 2 years.....they don't give up, play hard, are feisty (ie Santana, Sheff, K-Rod,etc)........we just have to weather the storm and get some guys back.

Big weekend.

tired.gif

we have the favorable matchups the next two games, long weekend fellas.

even if the metsies win only 1 game, phils are only up by 2 games
after the weekend, and we are that much closer to the break.

phillies never allowed Livan to get comfortable. AAA lineup or not,
there is no reason the Metsies should NOT be hitting this guy

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Every manager makes mistakes, but at least Jerry has adjusted how he uses the pen lately and giving over-worked guys some much needed rest.

Overall I can't complain with his decision making as of late, and look at the lineup out there everyday. Its amazing this team is playing .500 baseball.

Win or lose the Mets have a quality they haven't had the past 2 years.....they don't give up, play hard, are feisty (ie Santana, Sheff, K-Rod, etc)........we just have to weather the storm and get some guys back.

Big weekend.
What team are you watching?
laugh.gif

They have a quality they haven't had the past 2 years?
They imploded last year and the manager of any team that f'ed up as bad should be held responsible (as much as the players).

The mets are a joke lately.

In any objective assessment Manuel has been a mediocre manager at best. Why have a $150m payroll and a mediocre manager?

Mets playing .500 ball is a testament to how mediocre the NL is. Nothing else.

I like your optimism Mez.

But damn, I didn't expect Livan to get demolished like he did.

And wawa, I agree that the Mets have underachieved the past 2-3 years. But I doubt they will make a move at the manager's position until Jerry has had achance to manage a full (healthy) team.

The payroll definitely doesn't reflect the talent we have though.

Meaning, it's a high payroll... But we are not high on talent (outside of Reyes, Wright, K-Rod).

And that falls on the GM.

I don't know where all of our money is tied up. Oh yeah, that's right... Delgado and Ollie and Putz, etc.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I like your optimism Mez.

But damn, I didn't expect Livan to get demolished like he did.

And wawa, I agree that the Mets have underachieved the past 2-3 years. But I doubt they will make a move at the manager's position until Jerry has had a chance to manage a full (healthy) team.

The payroll definitely doesn't reflect the talent we have though.

Meaning, it's a high payroll... But we are not high on talent (outside of Reyes, Wright, K-Rod).

And that falls on the GM.

I don't know where all of our money is tied up. Oh yeah, that's right... Delgado and Ollie and Putz, etc.

He had a good and relatively healthy team the last half of the previous year. Didn't he? How come some are so dismissive of the implosion last year?
I understand that he only coached a small part of the season but a good manager never lets that happen. He showed how terrible of a manager he could be and itwas pretty damn bad.
Manuel is at best a mediocre manager. They replaced one mediocre manager with another.
laugh.gif
The point was?

To be honest if I had to pick between Minaya or Manuel being gone I'd pick Minaya. I think he's the real problem.

You can't blame last year's disaster on Jerry. The bullpen cost them, what was it, ten games? Everybody Jerry put in sucked. They should have nevermade Jerry the manager in the first place though. Should have cleaned house after firing Willie.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

You can't blame last year's disaster on Jerry. The bullpen cost them, what was it, ten games? Everybody Jerry put in sucked. They should have never made Jerry the manager in the first place though. Should have cleaned house after firing Willie.
Yes, the bullpen accounted for most of the losses but you can't claim that Manuel couldn't find one game in there to win. In the end theplayers are not the only ones to be held responsible.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

You can't blame last year's disaster on Jerry. The bullpen cost them, what was it, ten games? Everybody Jerry put in sucked. They should have never made Jerry the manager in the first place though. Should have cleaned house after firing Willie.
Yes, the bullpen accounted for most of the losses but you can't claim that Manuel couldn't find one game in there to win. In the end the players are not the only ones to be held responsible.
I agree with both of your points:
1. Jerry never should have been hired in the 1st place.
2. Jerry definitely has to take some heat for finishing 1 game out.

In regards to the 1st point, I can understand Minaya firing Willie (actually, I didn't understand it... but for argument's sake, let's say I did).But if you're gonna fire Willie, why bring in another manager who pretty much has the same exact style of the manager you're replacing? That is what Ididn't understand about bringing in Manuel. For the sake of continuity and a smooth transition, I guess I can see why they went with Jerry.

But to me, they should have brought in a manager with a different style than Willie.

As for the 2nd point, if Willie took the fall for the Mets not finishing in 1st those previous seasons, then I can't see how Jerry can't take some sortof heat as well.

"Shrugs Shoulders"

Oh well.

on to tomorrow.

Also, it is so weird seeing both these teams in Red caps.

im always critical of Jerry but $%* else you want him to do right now?

Reyes, Beltran, Gado, Putz, Maine, Ollie are all on the DL, Sheff cant play
everyday.....there a bunch of guys in our lineup that have no business in the
majors yet they are .500, you have high expectations with this current group?
this current lineup is def a playoff calibur team?

some of ya'll need to chill and realize the lineup we are throwing out there
is fighting every damn day to stay .500.

in 2007 the pen was trash, thats on Omar and they blew a 7 game lead
cause of it last year Jerry had the team finish the 2nd half 20 games over .500,
the pen was trash and they had no closer.....it was a divisional race that went down
to the wire (remember the mets were 7 games back in July, they fought back).

ya'll need to put things in perspective...a healthy Mets squad would be up by 5-6 games
in the division right now but what can you do nobody is going to get more reinforcements
in the 2nd half then we are.

So I see that MLB did a great job with the craftsmanship of applying the patches for today of the jerseys.

Moyers already fell off. Also why do I care what the fan's think of Manny coming to bat from Maternity leave?

%@*, is Manny going for some sort of milestone right now? Who the $#*$ cares about his first at bat because of USING PED'S?

Fox is a joke.

Whens Reyes coming back. Any chance he will rehab with Binghamton next tuesday-thursday. They are in town were i work those days. i know its a long shot
laugh.gif

I highly doubt it, he is not even running yet down in Florida.

Mets are 22-28 since Gado went down....granted they actually climbed into first place initially, once the rest of the guys went down its been down hill.

Santana has to be Santana today, one win this weekend is all I ask for (not hitting Moyer yesterday was disgusting).

My friend is going to see the Mets on Tuesday at Citi/Debits Field.

For his sake, and yours, and mine...I hope the Mets can take 2/3 from LA.

I can't stand everything about the Dodgers. Joe Torre's still cool in my book, though
laugh.gif

Dodgers are not this unbeatable team by any stretch IMO, but the way the Mets are built right now they'd have to get some real good starting pitching tohave a chance.

Yeah, I agree with you Mez (what are the odds of that happening
laugh.gif
) ... Pitching does need to step things up.

Congrats to D. Wright and Beltran (even though he probably will not play) for making the All-Star team.

Back
Top Bottom