[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

Another great job managing sheff on the bench who
has tied two games after 8th inning and he leaves that
bum ramon Martinez in nce job jerkoff

Minaya has GOT to bring in some bodies.

I don't want to be at the end of the season talking about "oh well, all the injuries killed us".

F that.

Sheff was sick though, he would've started this game.

Dodgers have a lot of solid hitters in the lineup, not great by any means but just solid (nobody you fear). With Manny there that's pretty much all youneed from them though, their pitching has carried them so far.

I don't even know what our lineup will look like in Boston, this may get ugly. No Reyes, Sheff, Gado in the lineup with a AA shortstop isn't going tocut it right now.

Putz is a guy who needs 9th inning adrenaline, we should package him for some talent.

I agree about Putz needing the 9th. I don't agree about trading him just yet though.

Boston Massacre coming up?
ohwell.gif

And yeah, R.I.P. to Scho's wife.
tired.gif

im not saying to trade putz because hes ineffective, itss just that hes a valuable chip we have.

mets should go after nick johnson to play 1b, hell be cheap

and maybe try to get a corner outfielder with some pop to a team who needs a closer (package deal)

Apparently Reyes only has slight tendinitis behind his knee so he won't go on the DL and is day to day.

...so since Reyes won't go on the DL that means we won't be able to bring somebody up, which means Ramon Martinez is likely to be the starting SS overthe weekend.
sick.gif

Mike Francessa made a good point today....let Murphy play 1st base, let Sheff play left, and let Church play right. Leave it alone for 2 weeks, and see whereyou are then, if its an issue, then there are lots of corner outfielders that will be available.

All you can do at this point, I just want this road trip to be over.

sick.gif
@ the Red Sox 6-9 compared to ours....I'd rather see Tatis struggle at SS than Ramon Martinez, jesus this weekend will get ugly.

Thankfully nobody will run away with this division, we just have to weather the storm and hopefully play .500 ball until everyone gets back.

Mets will be lucky to win 1 game this weekend, Boston is the best team in baseball.

METS LINEUP

1B-MURPHY
RF-CHURCH
CF-BELTRAN
DH-SHEFFIELD
3B-WRIGHT
LF-REED
C-CATCHER
SS-MARTINEZ
2B-CASTILLO

I don't mind shaking things up, Church batting 2nd is a good thing, and the patient AB's of Murphy is good for leading off.

Its just sad how bad 6-9 is with a DH! The talent really drops drastically after David, never thought I'd miss Gado as much as I do now smh.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

1B-MURPHY
RF-CHURCH
CF-BELTRAN
DH-SHEFFIELD
3B-WRIGHT
LF-REED
C-CATCHER
SS-MARTINEZ
2B-CASTILLO
WTH is that.

Better hope Yanks take care of the Phils.

I'm not worried about standings at this point, too much baseball left.

I prefer to see Pagan in left and Tatis at SS.

I don't like Reed protecting Wright, automatic walk with a RISP and 1st base open.

Yanks will win 2 out of 3.

I won't be able to watch this game unfortunately so I'll DVR and follow from my phone, here is an interesting article on Beltran:

[h1]http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/05/22/five-things-you-may-not-know/[/h1]
[h1]Five things you may not know[/h1]
22 May 2009 Baseball

Print This Post 39

Well, as you might imagine, I'm getting crushed by emails and voice mails and Facebook mails and all kinds of other mails regarding Steve Phillips' bashing of Carlos Beltran. Most people just wanted to contact me to say that they think ESPN's Steve Phillips is an idiot … it seems to me a lot like the scene in Airplane where people line up to slap the hysterical woman.

There are also some who think I'm an idiot and Phillips is absolutely right … Beltran is an underachiever, he's a malingerer, he dropped that pop-up the other day, he struck out against Adam Wainwright, he has never lived up to his potential, he has never lived up to his contract, he doesn't smile enough, he'd doesn't like baseball, he doesn't fit in New York, he doesn't care and so on and so on and so on.

Well, I have a feeling that this is a topic I will have a lot more to say about in the coming weeks. But for now … well, if you read this site, you know where I stand on Beltran.

So, for your enjoyment, here are five things you may not know:

1. The New York Mets single-season record holder for home runs is not Mike Piazza, Darryl Strawberry, Howard Johnson or Dave Kingman.

It is Carlos Beltran. He hit 41 home runs in 2006*.

*He tied the record: Todd Hundley also hit 41 home runs for the Mets.

2. Only one switch-hitter in baseball history has had multiple seasons of 80 or more extra base hits. It is not Mickey Mantle, Pete Rose, Eddie Murray or Chipper Jones. It is not Jimmy Rollins, Mark Teixeira, Lance Berkman or Reggie Smith. It is not Bernie Williams, Chili Davis, Roberto Alomar or Ripper Collins.

It is Carlos Beltran. He's done it three times.

3. Only one player in baseball history has stolen 200 or more bases and been successful more than 85% of the time. It is not Tim Raines or Rickey Henderson, not Davey Lopes, Eric Davis or Joe Morgan, not Carl Crawford or Willie Wilson or Ichiro or Vince Coleman.

It is Carlos Beltran. He has stolen 281 bases and been caught 38 times, a preposterous 88% success rate.

4. There is only one center fielder in baseball history who has hit more than 40 home runs in a season and has also stolen more than 40 bases in a season. That's in a career, I'm not talking about one 40-40 season. Hmm. It's not Willie Mays. It's not Mickey Mantle. It's not Ken Griffey or Joe DiMaggio or Grady Sizemore or Duke Snider. It's not Andruw Jones or Fred Lynn or Bernie Williams or Curtis Granderson or Amos Otis or …

Yeah. It is Carlos Beltran. He hit 41 homers for the Mets, and he stole more than 40 bases in back-to-back years, 2003 and 2004.

5. There are two center fielders in baseball history, two, who have had more than six seasons of BOTH scoring 100 runs and driving in 100 runs. They were both excellent defensive center fielders - multiple Gold Glove winners. They were both extremely fast base runners - especially in their younger years. They both spent a good portion of their careers as center fielders in New York.

The first one, Willie Mays, played the game with an outward joy. He smiled. He said "Say Hey!" He played stickball in the street. When he ran in the outfield, his hat often fell off. He had one of the greatest catches in World Series history. He pulled off the 100 run/100 RBI thing nine times. He is viewed by many as the greatest player in baseball history.

The second one, Carlos Beltran, plays the game with a stoic restlessness, he does not often seem to be having fun out there. His hat does not fall off when he runs … he's so graceful he hardly appears to be running at all. He had one of the greatest playoff runs in baseball history - in 12 playoff games in 2004 he hit .434 with 8 homers, six stolen bases, nine walks, 14 RBIs and 21 runs - and people still say he fails in the clutch. He has pulled off the 100 run/100 RBI thing seven times, and if he stays healthy he'll probably do it again. He is viewed by many as overrated and an underachiever.

I hope ya ready. We bout to just handle all of NY this year.

O yea, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Its all jokes Mets fans dont be too mad.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I'm not worried about standings at this point, too much baseball left.

I prefer to see Pagan in left and Tatis at SS.

I don't like Reed protecting Wright, automatic walk with a RISP and 1st base open.
Yea but there is no such thing as protection
eyes.gif

I like Beltran DHing tonight. He's been struggling a bit defensively and hasn't gotten any days off. Hopefully Wright DHs tomorrow and Tatis starts a3rd.

Thanks for the Great Defense Lugo.

Lets keep this going for Santana. Love those Red Sox Caps. First time I have seen them wear them this year. actually got one in the beginning of the year whenI got My Met citi field cap.

can someone kill lugo? why is he even on this team? isn't there some 12 year old in MA that will play for free?

Just got home... Saw Church walking off the field. What's going on?

Sheff with the misplay there.
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom