New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

there are a number of good FA point guards out there... I would take, Billups if he's willing to take a decent contract... we still have the amnesty clause so we can shed a good chunk there, I would also take Felton for the right price, he's a starter caliber player. We should get Dwight for Bynum and try and sign one of those guards, it will be almost impossible to get both Williams and D12

FWIW I just helped Kobe get that coveted #6
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

there are a number of good FA point guards out there... I would take, Billups if he's willing to take a decent contract... we still have the amnesty clause so we can shed a good chunk there, I would also take Felton for the right price, he's a starter caliber player. We should get Dwight for Bynum and try and sign one of those guards, it will be almost impossible to get both Williams and D12
Most we can spend on a Free Agent is $3.5 mil (and on 1 person only.. This excludes the expiring contracts we have, which have more leeway on what we can do).. That knocks off half of the PGs who are free agents.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ Name a coach, and I'll tell you the passes you're giving him in your desire for him to coach us.

Dead #@$.

Let's go.

Same to you CP.

You know what happens when you have GLARING personnel issues (NO perimeter shooting, attitude problems, ghost status problems, no dribble penetration for a majority of the season), and a huge coaching issue? You are the Bobcats. You are the Kings. You are the Cavs (and I say this every time I mention Scott: growing up, THAT was my favorite Laker behind Magic... but he sucks as a coach).

But I'm talking too much.

Names. And I'll show you the passes you're giving.

"What about all the excuses from the pro-MB camp?" AIN'T NOBODY PRO-MB; WE'RE ANTI-'ANTI-MB'. HEEEE is not the problem. A mid-tier coach w/ TERRIBLE roster issues does not mean he's now a terrible coach.

Again, too many words.

Names.

My first remark to AG, who is askin for Sloan?  Not this guy.  If you listenin to random names gettin tossed out, that's on you, not me man.  I called Sloan out as a coach in like 2008. 
wink.gif

Ska, for your list, it ain't about passes.  I forgot to even add, Mike Brown has had Lebron, and Kobe.  Not a single other coach I name will have had them.  So save the passes. 

For instance, a guy I do like, Monty Williams, gets those bums to compete every night.  With ZERO talent.  Like to see what he could do with some great players, and then our zero talent guys. 

Nate McMillan.  Don't think all that much of him, but he coaches a broken roster every year, and gets to 50 wins every year.  (til this year)  Not sayin he's special, or elite, hell, I don't think he could work a rotation very well either, but he can make adjustments in game. Maybe with a complete roster, with 3 BIG talents, and Sessions, he could do something.  (and hopefully not ACL our entire roster) 

Jeff Van Gundy.  His defense is every bit Brown's.  But he handles a rotation better.  And he's had good teams, coached in a big market, but never had a Kobe/Bron to carry him. 

Byron Scott.  He wears his welcome out after 4 years.  Perfect.  We only needed him for 4, then he could leave when Kobe/Pau/Artest, etc do.  Got the Nets, I say the Nets to the Finals TWICE, with Jason Kidd's broke jumper and little else.  Got the Hornets to a game 7 in the 2nd round, with Chris Paul and nobody else.  Give him Kobe, and twin towers + Sessions, could he get just a little bit further?  Bet he could.  Oh, AND he's a Laker, a real one.  True to life Laker. 

Brian Shaw, eh.  Not really worried about him. Could have had him, kept some of the triangle, eh.  Not my first, or second or third choice, but he's better than Mike Brown. 

Adelman.  Not great, but good.  Better offense than Defense.  Always had good talent, never an All NBA first team SG, with a second team C, with a PF who could have flourished and been a 2nd-3rd team selection and then a speedy PG if that trade still came about. 

Brown failed for multiple years with Lebron.  Made 1 finals when Lebron blacked out vs the aging Piston roster, otherwise, he would have never even made a single Finals, and yet won the conference back to back years, and couldn't win on his own homecourt.  Even the Finals he was gifted, didn't win a single game.  And he came this close to getting us bounced out in round 1 against a team that had NO buisness beating us.  And George Karl is terrible, and even HE outcoached the !*++ out of Brown. 
sick.gif
  (Serious, George Karl is garbage, have said so for yearssssssss) 

ANY of those coached would have been better than Mike.  Mike has had 2 of the greatest to ever play the game, and failed every single time in tragic fashion.  Those other coaches have never had a roster like this (minus the Adelman Kings and oh by the way, if not for Phil Jackson, Adelman might have some jewelery, either in Portland or Sac 
wink.gif

We're not, don't worry man.  Just me and Ska talkin here.  Specifics only, not broad strokes.  Don't sweat it. 
wink.gif

My first remark to AG, who is askin for Sloan? Not this guy. If you listenin to random names gettin tossed out, that's on you, not me man. I called Sloan out as a coach in like 2008.

Fair enough. I'm always curious as to who we'd bring in that would be better than Mike Brown and that's the one name that is consistently brought up in this thread.

Who is "proven"? I think you mentioned the idea of going after an up and comer, but isn't that just praying the grass is greener? Very few coaches in the league have accumen to be labeled as more "proven."

^ Name a coach, and I'll tell you the passes you're giving him in your desire for him to coach us.

Dead #@$.

Let's go.

Same to you CP.

You know what happens when you have GLARING personnel issues (NO perimeter shooting, attitude problems, ghost status problems, no dribble penetration for a majority of the season), and a huge coaching issue? You are the Bobcats. You are the Kings. You are the Cavs (and I say this every time I mention Scott: growing up, THAT was my favorite Laker behind Magic... but he sucks as a coach).

"What about all the excuses from the pro-MB camp?" AIN'T NOBODY PRO-MB; WE'RE ANTI-'ANTI-MB'. HEEEE is not the problem. A mid-tier coach w/ TERRIBLE roster issues does not mean he's now a terrible coach.

Again, too many words.

Names.
Jerry Sloan. Reasons stated a page back.
Larry Brown. Hall of Famer. He's nomadic. That's fine, we only need him until Kobe retires. He's someone Kobe respects. Big name coach. 

Hubbie Brown. Too old would be the problem. But he can definitely make adjustments.

All in all, it's probably just a waste of time that we're naming these coaches since the Buss family are content with Mike and they won't just cut him loose after one year. 

Dead #@$.

Let's go.

Same to you CP.

Again, too many words.

Names.
QFT!!!

Names?

The only person that can save this franchise...

1ymwpk.jpg

No matter who fills that coaching role...the bench will never look the same without The Zen Master.

The more I think about it.. The more I'm just coming to the conclusion that Lamar & Shannon should be back on the Lakers... There just isn't many good options for us out there in Free Agency, as always unless your team is undercap, which generally means you missed the playoffs or made the playoffs with no shot of contending... Generally.. Lamar has NYK on top of his list because he wants somewhere where he can be comfortable, also thinks LA wouldn't go after him..  He gives us versatility and depth + another 3 point option..  Shannon gives you speed, decent defense, can go off if he's hot, 3 point shooting, and athleticism..

Then go after a Veteran Leader (that is not Derek Fisher) and try to have him here to play backup PG.

I also feel my soul emptied because I hope the Sixers lose.. Which means I want the Celtics to win this series... Reason being is that means Iggy would be up on the trading block, and likely traded because how much cap the Sixers could free by dumping most of Iggy's contract by taking back only 1 solid young player and maybe Amnestying Brand (they need to do it because that team is not winning a title.. By the way the number is $28 million. ) They have more than enough to keep Lou, Jrue, Evan Turner, Thad Young, Spencer Hawes.. Go after a max contract scorer. And still have money to add 1 boarderline All-Star or 2 solid players..

Pipe dreams though fellas.. Pipe Dreams
frown.gif

still think C. Billups should be looked at... he's a veteran point guard that know how to win and still has plenty left in the tank... also go after D.Howard and trade Pau for bench players to add depth... done

Lamar and the Lakers are over and done with. Even if Lamar was dying to play in LA again, the Lakers wouldn't care.

The Lakers saw Lamar as a problem from the end of last season. He was emotionally affected by the tragedies in his life (not his fault), didn't work out at all, seemed immersed in the Kardashian reality franchise, and overall didn't care as much as a team would like. They predicted his play would suffer and his emotions would be tough to deal with, which was a good call. All of his troubles this season stemmed from these things, not the turmoil of getting traded - although that didn't help.

They tried trading him off for value (beginning with Iggy in June, CP3 in December, lowballed Minny for the second pick, and who knows what else) and when it failed, they basically cut him for some cap relief.

So there's no way the Lakers would want him back on the team after going to great lengths to get him off off it. I don't even think they'd look at a minimum deal as "worth the risk."

I dont think they should bring back Lamar we need to get younger, but I have a hard time believing that Lamar's reality show stopped his focus. He helped us win a ring and he won sixth man of the year with that show going on right?. Lamar was ALWAYS inconsistent and emotional.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

Lamar and the Lakers are over and done with. Even if Lamar was dying to play in LA again, the Lakers wouldn't care.

The Lakers saw Lamar as a problem from the end of last season. He was emotionally affected by the tragedies in his life (not his fault), didn't work out at all, seemed immersed in the Kardashian reality franchise, and overall didn't care as much as a team would like. They predicted his play would suffer and his emotions would be tough to deal with, which was a good call. All of his troubles this season stemmed from these things, not the turmoil of getting traded - although that didn't help.
What?
 Lamar had a great season with us coming off the bench. 
He got "traded to NO" based on his salary and the season he just had. The Lakers felt he reached his max value thats why he was included. It wasnt because of what was happening with him in his personal life.

and he would actually benefit emotionally by staying here because of his friends on the team and the fact that he spent most of his career in LA.

You guys need to DEAD this Billups talk.  Please. 

I think Bynum is the one that gets moved.  Bottom line, he's not even all that safe post Kobe era. 

Kobe has 2 years left, same as Pau and Ron.  Window is 2 years, after that Bynum would take over (in theory)  I still think Kobe plays another year or two after that, but of course by then not be even close to what he is now.  Bynum will be 26-27 at that point, with a decade in the league, and a billion injuries.  We don't even know if his body will get to 30 in good shape.  It's flat out ridiculous we've got 16 solid years out of Kobe, with maybe 1-2 more, I HIGHLY doubt we're gettin that same return from Bynum. 

So, we move him.  We could get more for Bynum right now than we could for Pau.  Younger, cheaper, and not considered soft.  Pau may get us 2-3 decent players to make us deeper, Bynum could get us an elite talent + 1-2 other assets, be it young players, or picks whatever.  So basically, we build for this 2 year championship trying window, and worry about 2015 and what not later. 

I'm talking outside of a straight Bynum/Dwight swap by the way.  If that's on the table, that's the deal, we all know that, but assuming that deal dies, Bynum for ____ will net us a greater return than Pau for ______  if that makes sense.  Besides, putting Pau back in the post may just be what we need for him to play to his capabilities again anyways. 

We'll see.  Guess it depends on how bad Buss really wants Bynum to be the face of the Lakers. 

For whatever reasons the Lakers and other teams had already begun thinking that Lamar would be "tough to deal with" once the '11 season ended. I'm not sure exactly what prompted this (the deaths and car accidents happened over the summer, I think).

According to that Iguodala report, the Sixers ended up passing on the AI-for-LO deal because they were unsure of how Odom would be emotionally.

As for LA, by December they had seen how he reacted to the tragedies and that he hadn't hit the court at all during the lockout. They were pretty hellbent on trading him for a reason.

Aye, do we still have the 8.9 trade chip for LO?  Or did we use any part of that in the Sessions deal? 

Wonder if that gets used.  Adds to payroll, which is already enormous, but would bring us some talent if they bite bullet and pay the then 17.8 million bump for it. 
ohwell.gif
sick.gif
  Or does it go up 1.25 per dollar at that point?  Yeesh. 

Back
Top Bottom