New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

The way Earl Clark moves makes him look like a taller version of Ariza.

Forgot that he played with Nash in Phoenix

Nash has played with Jamison and Earl Clark... Jamison has played for Mike Brown and Eddie Jordan

At least Dwight is somewhere near a court doing something. He made it sound like he wasn't close to that last week.

The fact that Earl Clark played with Nash AND didn't do anything should show you guys how much he sucks. From what I remembered, he pretty much only shoots that mid range jump shot and wasn't very good at it, either.

SEASON FG% FT% P/40 R/40 A/40 TS% AST TO USG REB PER
'09-'10 .371 .722 14.6 6.5 2.2 42.0 10.0 10.9 20.0 9.1 8.58
'10-'11 .430 .574 14.1 8.7 0.8 45.6 4.2 13.0 17.6 12.7 10.13
'11-'12 .367 .724 8.8 8.9 1.3 40.5 9.2 12.8 13.5 12.8 8.14

This is Hollinger's evaluation on him before the start of last season.

+ Lean, long combo forward with strong defensive potential. Good ballhandler.

+ Erratic outside shooter and lacks great offensive instincts. Can run and finish.

+ Tweener question looms large. Needs to add either strength for 4 or skills for 3.

Clark is fighting an uphill battle to become a rotation player on the strength of his defense, with abysmal shooting numbers continuing to drag him back to the bench. In his second pro season Clark's 45.6 true shooting percentage only marginally improved on the 42.0 of his rookie year; in a league where the average is 53.7, neither mark is even remotely acceptable.

Break down his shot chart and the culprit is obvious -- Clark either needs to stop taking jumpers or start making a few. He shot 64.1 percent at the basket but just 28.7 percent from beyond 3 feet, which kills his chances of fitting into the Magic's drive-kick-space motif. While he was at it, Clark had some pretty shoddy ballhandling numbers for a guy whose handle is an alleged strength: nine assists against 28 turnovers.

Clark played mostly at 4 for Orlando, but at either spot his defensive potential intrigues. He's 6-10 and mobile, and while he lacks strength for the 4 and needs to up his rebounding, he held opposing power forwards to a 12.3 PER in Orlando and graded out strongly on Synergy. Alas, none of that will matter until he makes some shots.

Finally, Clark apparently had the mistaken impression that he was a Denver Nugget, because he signed a deal with a team in China this summer. However, he got out of it before the season started and will be an unrestricted free agent.

Last edited:
[quote name="Maximus Meridius"]Mike should just hand the whole offense to Kobe and Nash. They know what to do.[/quote]On everything, I said this like 3 months ago. I said something like "I know everyone is dogging the possibility of us picking up an old Nash, but it would be perfect. If MB hands his hat on defensive schemes, fine; let MB handle defense, and let Nash be the on-court 'offensive coordinator' so to speak."

Last edited:
Nash/Pau, Nash/Dwight, Kobe/Pau, Kobe/Dwight pick-and-rolls will all be deadly. It's even more perfect cause the other guard can spot up on the weak side (you don't want to leave Kobe or Nash), and the other big strike for the rebound.

I'm sure they'll have some offensive system in place, but if it breaks down, LA just needs to clear the floor and let one of these combo's go to work.

There should be no instance where anyone (Kobe) needs to size up and shoot a contested j

This:

Last year, on a team where Marcin Gortat was the second-best player on the team and the rest of the roster was at best inconsistent and at worst a hot mess, Steve Nash‘s passes out of the pick and roll lead to scoring 59.5% of the time, which was best among players with 100 possessions, according to Synergy Sports. So he was literally the best pick and roll passer in the leauge.

Last year, on a team where Jameer Nelson had injury issues, the entire team has chemistry problems related to the ongoing drama, and the offense was primarily geared around perimeter shooters (oh, and he was injured), Dwight Howard scored as the pick and roll man 73.7% of the time, which was best in the league.

So they have literally paired the best pick and roll passing guard with the best pick and roll finisher in the league.

Makes my mouth water. The rest of the article: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-sword/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And the rest of this article barely mentions that a Nash/Pau pick-and-roll/pop is not far behind on the dangerously effective scale.

Never ever thought Bynum's attitude was a problem. Featuring him as such a main part of the offense was, though.

At this point Bynum is still too inconsistent in the post. He can't read the double teams well or pass out of them, and sometimes he makes a move with nowhere to go. It really made the offense sputter.

I wish him all the best, but I do have a feeling he'll have a rough season. If he couldn't handle doubles very well when Kobe and Pau are on the court with him, how will he handle them now? The Sixers don't have much more reliable shooters than the Lakers did.

Never ever thought Bynum's attitude was a problem. Featuring him as such a main part of the offense was, though.
At this point Bynum is still too inconsistent in the post. He can't read the double teams well or pass out of them, and sometimes he makes a move with nowhere to go. It really made the offense sputter.
I wish him all the best, but I do have a feeling he'll have a rough season. If he couldn't handle doubles very well when Kobe and Pau are on the court with him, how will he handle them now? The Sixers don't have much more reliable shooters than the Lakers did.

Bynum should and could have easily been the best center hands down.. but his reluctancy to work hard has worked against him. you think that kareem didnt know what he was talking about? i wonder how kareem will factor in with dwight howard.. i really hope that howard is working with kareem and hakeem.. the best big men ever.. especially since shaq doesnt like him...

that mansion deal might be proof that he's staying.. but he was set on playing in brooklyn. 

who knows what that clown will decide. 

Id be shocked if he didnt sign a max deal in LA... dude will be a GAWD after a chip

He'd lose out $25mil on contract alone...

Not to include close to $10million every year he'd lose in endorsements.

He made $11mil in endorsements playing in Orlando... His Adidas deal doubles, and by some sources say it triples. Not to mention LA is the place to be for endorsements

that mansion deal might be proof that he's staying.. but he was set on playing in brooklyn. 
who knows what that clown will decide. 

He cannot land in Brooklyn..

Earliest he can land in Brooklyn is 2015-2016.. That's if Brook Lopez declines his player option for $16.5mil. If MarShon Brooks isn't resigned (he's got a $3mil qualifying offer, and from all indication he'll be a $7mil player at least).

But IF Nets lose Brook, and MarShon. Dwight would have to take a salary of less than $8mil in 2015-2016.

His adidas deal doubled regardless of if he played in LA or NY, but it's would be extremely difficult to think he would leave, especially since they Laker throne is just about his within the next few seasons. Only thing I see really hindering this team from goin far besides any internal team problem every team deals with would be if every opposing team starts to hack-a-Dwight for the whole fourth quarter.

Bynum should and could have easily been the best center hands down.. but his reluctancy to work hard has worked against him. you think that kareem didnt know what he was talking about? i wonder how kareem will factor in with dwight howard.. i really hope that howard is working with kareem and hakeem.. the best big men ever.. especially since shaq doesnt like him...
comments like this urk me , he's elevated his offensive game every year with limited touches and basically didnt get any legit playing time till his third year , he's had to bust his butt through 2 serious knee injuries , so just the amount of work he's put in to staying in basketball shape through rehab all while working with kareem AND you factor in that he's 24 and already the best offensive big man in the nba while giving you 12 rebounds a game (playing alongside  with gasol who's a double digit rebounder) ... he's even one of the better 7 foot free throw shooters in the league . just the fact that he's over come 2 serious rehab's at such a early age and just put togethor a healthy all star season  let's you know how serious he takes basketball.i will question everything about bynum before i get to his work ethic

comments like this urk me , he's elevated his offensive game every year with limited touches and basically didnt get any legit playing time till his third year , he's had to bust his butt through 2 serious knee injuries , so just the amount of work he's put in to staying in basketball shape through rehab all while working with kareem AND you factor in that he's 24 and already the best offensive big man in the nba while giving you 12 rebounds a game (playing alongside  with gasol who's a double digit rebounder) ... he's even one of the better 7 foot free throw shooters in the league . just the fact that he's over come 2 serious rehab's at such a early age and just put togethor a healthy all star season  let's you know how serious he takes basketball.i will question everything about bynum before i get to his work ethic

Bynum has the potential to become better than Dwight, I say hes pretty close. Bynum not being the only good player on the lakers last year, he was putting up pretty good numbers. Dwight is a beast but offensively I would say we will see this year if he is truly a better offensive center than Bynum.

perhaps, but dont you think that he would be so much better if he really focused more on fundamentals, like kareem hounded him on? he has better footwork than dwight, but let's be honest.. bynum is no hakeem or kareem.. and doesnt even have a sky hook, with kareem as his mentor since he was 18..

Back
Top Bottom