NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

nah its still Boston and Cleveland in the East.
No way. In a seven game series, there is no way Cleveland is beating Boston or Orlando right now. Boston just has too much firepower offensivelyand defensively with Sheed, Garnett, Pierce, Rondo...not to mention big baby and House comin' off the bench. Heck I don't think Cleveland could beatthat line up with 25-year old Shaq.

As for the magic, Cleveland did nothing to increase their chances of beating them. Shaq could never defend the pick and roll and he dang sure ain't goingto do it at 37 against D-howard. Losing Turk and Lee hurts, but adding VC gives them a slasher who can get to the rim and create his own shot off the dribble.

Even with Boston and Orlando doing nothing I don't believe Shaq increased Cleveland's chances of beating them.

The best thing the Cavs did this offseason was draft Danny Green from UNC in the second round. I know you guys are going to flame me but having watched thatguy play for four years I think

#1 He's going to be the best player out of that entire UNC draft class, yes I think he'll be a better pro than Hanbrough, Lawson, or Ellington
#2 He's has the potential to bron's Scottie Pippen...he plays great D, is a good shooter, and has a high bball IQ

Orlando didn't necessarily increase their chancs of winning a title either. If Boston ends up with Grant Hill, they will easily be the ones coming out theEast next season. The players that Orlando let go via free agency and trade were the ones that basically help take them that far.

I think it will be a Cleveland/Boston East Finals and a Lakers/Spurs West Finals.

roll.gif
at people missing Zach Randolph. That's why they're theClippers ya know?

Sheed in green is nice. If we was pickin today, I'd say it's LA v Boston again. Round 2.
pimp.gif

Smart for Clev to try and talk to Odom, but why would LO go there for the same money not knowing what Bron is gonna do, when he knows EXACTLY what he has inLA? If Bron was signed, thas one thing, but LO could end up being the only guy on the roster next season.
laugh.gif

And if he really likes the beaches out in LA, not sure he'll really feel Cleveland. But we'll see. Shaq, LO, Bron would be a helluva front court.

I don't know why these free agents for Cle can't just request an opt-out in the contract after the 1st year. It would only be good for that 1st year.

So if LBJ stays, they stay. If he leaves, they leave. Cleveland gets that money off the books (if he leaves) and can retool in '11. Everyone is happy.

No?

who knows. i wonder who the secret meeting in LA is with. i havent followed international bball but is childress even worth looking at? i know he made noisefor going over there in the first place but once he got there how did he play?

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I don't know why these free agents for Cle can't just request an opt-out in the contract after the 1st year. It would only be good for that 1st year.

So if LBJ stays, they stay. If he leaves, they leave. Cleveland gets that money off the books (if he leaves) and can retool in '11. Everyone is happy.

No?
Easy answer. Bron.

How does Cleveland assure Lebron that they will be a force to be reckoned with if all their key signings can opt out the second he signs a huge deal? If theyhave a big year, some of them might want to get a slice of that pie after watching Bron cash in for 130 + million or whatever.
How many guys are gonna be happy with their 6, 7 mill when the main dude is holding everyone hostage and then gets that much cash? I'd opt out rightthere, ESPECIALLY having to live in Cleveland of all places.

Bron is holding that franchise in the palm of his hands, for better or for worse. Only way Cavs live on is if he stays, then they will start to get all kindsof free agent looks and ring chasers. Til then, his situation is killing them.

Speaking of Bron's contract. What's the biggest deal he can get?

I know Kobe had a 7yr/136mil contract. Can Lebron sign a 7-year deal if he stayed with Cleveland? I thought the longest tenure a team could re-sign their ownplayer was 6 years?

Originally Posted by SHUGES

No?
Forgive me for this wall of text but:

[h4]50. What are option clauses? What kind of option clauses are there?[/h4]
An option clause allows a contract to be extended for one additional season after the date it is scheduled to end. For example, a five-year contract with an option for the sixth year means that if the option is exercised, then the contract extends through the sixth season, but if the option is not exercised, then the contract ends after the fifth season. Options must be exercised by the July 1 that precedes the option year, except player options for players who would become restricted free agents, which must be exercised by June 25. Once exercised, an option cannot be revoked (for example, a player cannot invoke an option on June 20th and change his mind on June 25th). Conditional options are not allowed -- the existence of the option may not be contingent on some condition, such as the number of games the team wins or the points per game the player scores.

There are three types of options:
  • Team Options give the team the right to invoke the option year. There can be only one option year (except in the case of rookie scale contracts), and the option year can't be for a lower salary than the previous season.
  • Player Options give the player the right to invoke the option year. There can be only one option year, and the option year can't be for a lower salary than the previous season.
  • Player Early Termination Options (ETOs) give the player the right to terminate the contract early. An ETO can't occur prior to the end of the fourth season of the contract (which implies that the contract must be for at least five seasons).
A contract may not contain more than one option in the same season (for example, the last season cannot contain both a player option and a team option). A six year contract may contain an ETO following the fourth season and an option (either player or team) following the fifth season.

Rookie "scale" contracts for first round draft picks contain team options for the third and fourth seasons (team options for the third season exist only for players drafted in 2005 or later), which must be exercised by October 31 of the prior season No other options are permitted in rookie scale contracts. See question number 41 for more information.

Here's a summary of the differences between an option and an ETO:
  • Options can occur only when one season remains on the contract, while ETOs can occur when two seasons remain if the contract is for six seasons.
  • Options can be included in any multiyear contract, but ETOs are allowed only with five or six year contracts.
  • Options can be held by the player or the team, but ETOs are always held by the player (i.e., there's no such thing as a team Early Termination Option).
  • Option years may not have a lower salary than the previous season. ETOs have no such restriction.
  • A contract with a player option can be extended when the option is not exercised. A contract with an ETO may not be extended if the ETO is exercised.
There is an interesting twist regarding player options. What happens if the team waives the player before he invokes his player option? Can the player invoke the option after he is waived, thus guaranteeing his salary for the option year? To head off this situation, all contracts with player options must indicate whether the player receives his salary for the option year in the event the contract is terminated.

Player options were previously used as a way to give the player more money. A long-term deal was agreed upon with a player option after the player obtained Larry Bird rights. The player invoked the option, became a free agent, and then the team & player signed a new contract for more money using the Bird exception. However, since the current CBA prevents ETOs before the end of the fourth year or more than one option year, the usefulness of this tool is now very limited.

Source
I'm pretty sure this isn't updated but I think you have to go through at least two full seasons before you can opt out. I could be wrong though.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Yeah, really not feelin the 8 mil per for Kidd. Why? Why fight to keep him?
What else were they going to do? The Mavs had to keep Kidd.

As much as everyone wants to put the blame on Kidd, he isnt the Mavs problem. The problem is there is no one outside of Dirk that can score consistently.

Hopefully with an upgrade to the center position and bringing in another scorer with the Stack chip, it will make the team roll smoother.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

As much as everyone wants to put the blame on Kidd, he isnt the Mavs problem. The problem is there is no one outside of Dirk that can score consistently.

Hopefully with an upgrade to the center position and bringing in another scorer with the Stack chip, it will make the team roll smoother.
Mavs should trade for Maggette if they want another scorer
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by daprescription

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Mavs should trade for Maggette if they want another scorer
nerd.gif
Like Don Nelson would ever want to do business with Cuban again.

Plus, Mavs dont want him.

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

i thought the mavs were interested in him at one point.

cuban and nelson need to set their differences and get mags in a mavs.
only because you're a warriors fan
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and i rather have rubio over arenas. rubio is young, while arenas has an big fat contract.
i rather let chandler develop then take this risk.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Cleve Dealer reports Ferry + Brown in LA.. These dudes want to swoop LO
eek.gif
laugh.gif
LOL, no

CLE only has the MLE

Ferry is meeting with Matrix, Childress and Andy as another Cav fan posted

Originally Posted by BangDak

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and i rather have rubio over arenas. rubio is young, while arenas has an big fat contract.

Why would you take Rubio over Arenas? Rubio hasn't proved anything yet. At least Arenas proved he deserves that fat contract.

Yao is about to have season ending surgery. No more stopping the bleeding with these insertions of the pins nonsense. Just give him what G Hill and Big Z haddone. I think it's a whole reconstruction of the foot. Total makeover.

Nobody wants Magette and his deal
laugh.gif

Spurs might offer full MLE to Big Baby. Good signing if they can get it done. A young PF/C with an improving jump shot. The days of slow Rosho/Oberto and a 3ptshooting Bonner are over if they can get this done.

Yeah you're right. I just jumped the gun, since both were flying out to LA.
laugh.gif

I don't think it's for AV though. Why does Brown have to fly out? I think it might be for Childress, and Brown is there to talk about what hispotential role on the team might be.

Originally Posted by raptors29

Originally Posted by BangDak

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Why would you take Rubio over Arenas? Rubio hasn't proved anything yet. At least Arenas proved he deserves that fat contract.
fat contract to lock up your teams salary.
look at washingtons payroll. its mostly caron, tawn, and arenas

Back
Top Bottom