NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4307928

[h2]Sources: Kidd to re-sign with Mavs[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

Jason Kidd has given the Dallas Mavericks a verbal commitment that he will re-sign with the team Wednesday, according to NBAfront-office sources.

429.jpg

Kidd

Sources told ESPN.com that Kidd, 36, will receive a 3-year, fully-guaranteed contract worth in excess of $25 million.

Kidd elected to stay in Dallas in the face of a hard push from the New York Knicks, who lastweek offered Kidd the most they could ($19 million over three years).

Signing Kidd for more than one season would have impacted the Knicks' efforts to amass substantial salary cap space for the summer of 2010, andthey're expected to woo Cleveland's LeBron James and at least one other topfree agent.

In that scenario, pressure on Knicks president Donnie Walsh to trade either EddyCurry or Jared Jeffries -- or both -- would have increased significantly, butsources say that Walsh and Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni felt that acquiring Kidd would have been worth such hassles because of their confidence in Kidd'sability to change the Knicks' culture.

Kidd's interest in returning to the Atlantic Division was mutual, but the Mavericks were always considered favorites to re-sign him because they couldcomfortably exceed the Knicks' max offer of three years at the projected mid-level exception of $5.8 million per year.

Although Kidd initially sent signals that he planned to take the full holiday weekend before making a decision, Dallas began inching closer to a deal onFriday when Kidd and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban met at Cuban's house.

Wednesday is the first day teams can formally sign free agents to new contracts after the NBA announces the salary cap and luxury tax figures for the2009-10 season.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Well the Kidd-to-the-Knicks-before-LeBron-signs gets blown out of the water now.

Still doesn't mean LBJ won't come on over though...

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

After looking at some other Clipper boards, a lot of fans wish Randolph would've stayed
there is not one clipper fan in Los angeles that is sad to see that bum go
Clippers board on espn.com:

"This really sucks...we just gave away an all-star calibur forward for a guy who was traded for darko milicic"

"We only had Z-Bo for half a season. We were already 13 games in before he came over. Then we lost him for like 6 weeks after the Voskuhl attack. We were a .500 team with him in the line-up. Chances are Baron would've not sulked nearly as much and given up so early had we had Z-Bo from Day 1 coz the team would've been noticably better out of the gate."

"We gave up our best offensive player for backup trash (QRich, Buckner) and now we can't afford to get rid of Kaman and have to hope that loser stays healthy and motivated for a whole season."

"We will miss his 20/10 a night but at least we get to see right away what BG can do."

"THANK YOU ZACH!!! for coming here and putting your heart into your play. A lot of us don't realize the impact minor injuries have on big guys like you, but you hung in there just great and was the best "goto" guy I remember since the DManning/Marcus Johnson days. We hope you do well in Memphis or wheerever you end up. "

"I only like watching games when we are competitive or winning and last season was the worst in franchise history as far as doing either one of those things. Sure it was Baron's and Kaman's fault but since we can't get rid of them we have to get rid of somebody else. That would be Randolph since we lucked into getting a younger and better version of him in that draft. "

"This Trade Proves Why Yal Will Always Be The 2nd best LA Team.!"

"i would not have done this deal this year. griffin is not ready for 40 minutes...82 games. he's not going to put up 20-10 this season. should have let him learn from zbo to improve his offensive game."

"feel a bit poorer for the Clipps in getting Q Rich for Z Bo. think Zach and Marcus were the ones to lead us to the playoffs this year, and really liked Kaman and Griffin behind them. "

"It's really not worth thinking about anymore...Zach is gone. This team, with or without Zach, will go only as far as Baron wants it to go. Baron was and is the issue with ths team..not Zach Randolph."

"Pretty sad on that Memphis board, most seem to not like the trade. Also, it seems like there is not much of a fan following..."

"I don't know, I have kinda mixed feelings about this deal.

The bad........

1) Zach was a really good player (at least on offense). We're going to miss his points and rebounds.

2) Now we have to keep Kaman and that suucks.

The good..........

1) As of this moment, we have 20.6 mill in cap space lined up for 2010. That is awesome.

2) Blake Griffin can get 40 minutes a night (at least)."

That's how 90% of the board looked.
laugh.gif

That's because those Clippers fans got suckered into worthless 20-10 performances and not thinking about the future.

imo Zbo can really play if he focus on developing his skills and stamina. Dude got quickness and handle for a 6'9 fat dude

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

That's because those Clippers fans got suckered into worthless 20-10 performances and not thinking about the future.
Bingo.

As for the bigger deal, Sheed to Celtic's IMO.

Artest to Lakers is a bigger shock, because it was kind of out of the blue, and they just won the Chip.

Sheed to the C's, however, is a definite upgrade, and if he gets motivated the way Ray Ray has been, they'll be just fine.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I got a question to any Clipper fans
nerd.gif

Did Clipper Nation really thought Z-Bo was a blackhole? After looking at some other Clipper boards, a lot of fans wish Randolph would've stayed. There were more comments about how Baron Davis and Kaman were the ones $%*#& things up than Z-Bo. Randolph gets so much negativity on NT, so I was trying to actually see how did he perform last season rather than going by incidents years ago. I know I didn't watch any Clipper games last season other than when they played Memphis. I think Z-Bo only played in like 1 of those games.
I don't think Z-Bo is a particularly strong asset to the Clippers... but to trade him away for Q?
I didn't think he was a cancer to the team. He was just a talented player with no brains. I think the Clippers could've gotten a lot more than justQuinten (and whoop-dee-doo possibly Jaric) out of Snack.

Then again because of Turk, Marion is on the market now. But, I don't think he'd settle for the MLE. There were reports he wasn't too fond of theinitial Raptors 4/36M deal or whatever it was.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Wonder what the next chip to fall will be for Cuban and the Mavs... Gotta think with Kidd wrapped up their start looking for something with that Stackhouse chip...
You have to honestly say that we're headed in the right direction as far as this off-season goes.

I mean, we re-signed Kidd, and as much as he may not be our future, he's the best that what we can get our hands on.

We're most likely going to get a quality big-man, and if he doesn't work out, then that's fine he's not going to have a monster contract.

But I think Gortat is definitely an instant-upgrade over Dampier, I mean from what I've seen from Gortat, he's a good defender, and he has the hands tofinish around the basket.

Now, we have our "Stack Chip," to use, and we could package Dampier with it.

What I'd ideally like to do?

Trade the stack chip for Shawn Marion, however we have to make that work. Marion is best suited in an up-tempo offense. Get a S+T going for three years, sowhen Kidd's contract is up, we don't keep Marion around. This frees Josh up to run the two (which I honestly think he's better suited at anyways).We'd finally have some length and athleticism from 1-5.

Then, if the market is really dry for Marquis Daniels, we sign him with the LLE.

Kidd
Josh
Marion
Dirk
Gortat

with
JET
Quis
Damp
Wright
Hollins
JJ
whoever the hell we want.

Filling out our bench. That's what would be ideal for me right now. If not Marion, maybe Marvin Williams?
nerd.gif
. I don't know, I'd just hate to seethis trade kicker be wasted...
grin.gif

I'm very optimistic right now though..

Originally Posted by KenJi714

imo Zbo can really play if he focus on developing his skills and stamina. Dude got quickness and handle for a 6'9 fat dude

Dude already has the skills. He's like a way less motivated Lamar Odom with a scoring mentality.

The reporter who broke the Sheed to Boston story also says G Hill is Boston bound as well. Now all they need is a backup point.

Originally Posted by franchise3

The reporter who broke the Sheed to Boston story also says G Hill is Boston bound as well. Now all they need is a backup point.
Say it ain't so. I believe you on this one since you've been reliable on basically everything in this forum.

PDcavsinsider: D.Ferry & M.Brown in LA for secret free agent meeting. Could be a number of players, maybe A. Varejao, S. Marion or maybe J. Childress.about4 hours ago from Tweetie

nerd.gif

Did Clipper Nation really thought Z-Bo was a blackhole? After looking at some other Clipper boards, a lot of fans wish Randolph would've stayed. There were more comments about how Baron Davis and Kaman were the ones $%*#& things up than Z-Bo. Randolph gets so much negativity on NT, so I was trying to actually see how did he perform last season rather than going by incidents years ago. I know I didn't watch any Clipper games last season other than when they played Memphis. I think Z-Bo only played in like 1 of those games.

I'm not a Clipper fan, but when I have nothing else to do ... I occasionaly catch a Clipp game and from what I've seen: -clipper fans were mad atbdiddy and kaman probably because they were most consistently injured. -zbo fills up the stats, he's great for fantasy, but he's awful for the aspectof having a "team" -he's never matured as a player, whether its stupid fights, DUIs or shot selection. -shoots / stays out on the perimeter toomuch for a guy with his length -he's a above avg rebounder, long arms. -strong post moves, settles for Js -you see 1 brilliant move from him, then 3horrendous ones. -really seems like he's out there for himself, and not the team. -very talented, but no brains to go with it. I understand you're veryoptimistic on having him with the Grizz, but you're gonna get very frustrated with his play on the court. If you add AI in the mix with Gay, Zbo, OJ ...and no strong coach to diffuse these "give me the ball" players the team will be lottery bound again.

Say it ain't so because you want to see him somewhere else raptor, or say it ain't so because you don't like Boston? I think he's supposed tomeet with NY 2M though.

JD, can't be for AV as these dudes don't need to fly to LA for him. Can't afford Odom looking at it, so that leaves Marion and Childress. Childressis more in the MLE range, and you could see why both would fly out to talk to the dude. What happens to this guy's foreign contract if he comes back?

Originally Posted by franchise3

Say it ain't so because you want to see him somewhere else raptor, or say it ain't so because you don't like Boston? I think he's supposed to meet with NY 2M though.

JD, can't be for AV as these dudes don't need to fly to LA for him. Can't afford Odom looking at it, so that leaves Marion and Childress. Childress is more in the MLE range, and you could see why both would fly out to talk to the dude. What happens to this guy's foreign contract if he comes back?
I wish Grant Hill would come back to Orlando. I don't have anything against Boston, if they win they win. I'd be pissed if the Cavs won,but I highly doubt that.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Wonder what the next chip to fall will be for Cuban and the Mavs... Gotta think with Kidd wrapped up their start looking for something with that Stackhouse chip...
You have to honestly say that we're headed in the right direction as far as this off-season goes.

I mean, we re-signed Kidd, and as much as he may not be our future, he's the best that what we can get our hands on.

We're most likely going to get a quality big-man, and if he doesn't work out, then that's fine he's not going to have a monster contract.

But I think Gortat is definitely an instant-upgrade over Dampier, I mean from what I've seen from Gortat, he's a good defender, and he has the hands to finish around the basket.

Now, we have our "Stack Chip," to use, and we could package Dampier with it.

What I'd ideally like to do?

Trade the stack chip for Shawn Marion, however we have to make that work. Marion is best suited in an up-tempo offense. Get a S+T going for three years, so when Kidd's contract is up, we don't keep Marion around. This frees Josh up to run the two (which I honestly think he's better suited at anyways). We'd finally have some length and athleticism from 1-5.

Then, if the market is really dry for Marquis Daniels, we sign him with the LLE.

Kidd
Josh
Marion
Dirk
Gortat

with
JET
Quis
Damp
Wright
Hollins
JJ
whoever the hell we want.

Filling out our bench. That's what would be ideal for me right now. If not Marion, maybe Marvin Williams?
nerd.gif
. I don't know, I'd just hate to see this trade kicker be wasted...
grin.gif

I'm very optimistic right now though..

That would be a very very decent starting 5, especially offensively, and 3 off the bench who are at least solid contributors. I think the main focuswould have to be your D, but Marion and Gortat can bring it (Kidd can too, but he's def. a step slower if you ask me, and I think if Howard is focused hecan as well), you'd just have to get the others in-check. I'm not saying that's your ticket to the WCF, but I can certainly see how you'd beoptimistic.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

nerd.gif

I'm not a Clipper fan, but when I have nothing else to do ... I occasionaly catch a Clipp game and from what I've seen: -clipper fans were mad at bdiddy and kaman probably because they were most consistently injured. -zbo fills up the stats, he's great for fantasy, but he's awful for the aspect of having a "team" -he's never matured as a player, whether its stupid fights, DUIs or shot selection. -shoots / stays out on the perimeter too much for a guy with his length -he's a above avg rebounder, long arms. -strong post moves, settles for Js -you see 1 brilliant move from him, then 3 horrendous ones. -really seems like he's out there for himself, and not the team. -very talented, but no brains to go with it. I understand you're very optimistic on having him with the Grizz, but you're gonna get very frustrated with his play on the court. If you add AI in the mix with Gay, Zbo, OJ ... and no strong coach to diffuse these "give me the ball" players the team will be lottery bound again.

thanks..

I think AI to Memphis is dead now after seeing the comments he made about coming off the bench and that's what Memphis really wanted him for. I wasthinking that Z-Bo would be frustrating to watch and Memphis fans are so use to watching players frustrate the fan base. J-Will, Pau, Swift, Gay definitelywere/are the main ones. Adding two knuckleheads (especially a star player like AI) would have a 75% chance of disaster. One knucklehead might not be as bad.

I felt like if those fans were actual fans of the team that they would give their true opinion on him just like I would or any Memphis fan would about RudyGay. We weren't blinded by his production in his 2nd season averaging 20ppg. By watching him play, I knew that he could score but his shot selection,defense, selfish play, etc. was atrocious. I still see him improving, but he only has this year to prove it to me.

Back
Top Bottom