NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Honestly I don't think he signs for a MLE.

This is it basically. His last chance at a big pay day.

He been underpaid his whole career. You see how many players make 9-10M a year, and this dude Artest hasn't even hit that plateau yet.

This is his offseason to cash in.
From who, though??
nerd.gif

Who's going to have that kind of space?

Originally Posted by franchise3

Honestly I don't think he signs for a MLE.

This is it basically. His last chance at a big pay day.

He been underpaid his whole career. You see how many players make 9-10M a year, and this dude Artest hasn't even hit that plateau yet.

This is his offseason to cash in.

That's true he deserves to get PAID but lets not forget what happened to The L. Sprewell
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah it's harder for teams to outright sign the dude, but if it's a sign and trade you can come out and dump salary with a player or so thrown in.

Oh snaps, Ariza to TDot?

If they let Odom walk too, they should have enough money to throw at Artest.

Gordon Reaches Agreement With Pistons

Jul 01, 2009 7:04 PM EST

The Pistons have reached a deal in principle with Ben Gordon, a source with knowledge of talks tells Adrian Wojnarowski.

The deal is believed to be worth $55 million over five years.

RealGM Note: Gordon was ranked 48th in season FIC during the 2008-09 season and 'deserved' a salary of $11.24 million. He played under the qualifyingoffer after being unable to reach an agreement with Chicago.

Via Yahoo!

Detroit Pistons

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grizzlies Acquire Zach Randolph In Deal For Q-Rich
Jul 01, 2009 8:56 PM EST

The Grizzlies have agreed to trade Quentin Richardson to the Clippers for Zach Randolph.

Richardson, whose contract expires after this season, was traded by the Knicks to the Grizzlies for Darko Milicic on draft night.

The Clippers no longer had a need for Randolph, whom they acquired from the Knicks last November, with number one pick Blake Griffin inheriting the team'spower forward duties.

The deal will not become official until next week.

Via Los Angeles Times

Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit Fires Michael Curry
Jun 30, 2009 1:43 PM EST

The Detroit Pistons fired Michael Curry as head coach on Tuesday.

Doug Collins is believed to be a leading candidate for the job, according to a source.

Collins coached Joe Dumars with the Pistons from 1995-97, and has been out of coaching since the Washington Wizards fired him in 2003.

Avery Johnson is also said to be high on the candidate list.

Bill Laimbeer has been mentioned by some as a candidate, but Yahoo! refutes the possibility flatly.

Via Yahoo!

Detroit Pistons

Raptors Turn Attention To Kleiza
Jul 01, 2009 9:04 PM EST

Toronto was interested in Charlie Villanueva, but he has now agreed to terms with Detroit.

The Raptors will now turn their attention back to Denver's Linas Kleiza, who they contacted early in the free agent process last night.

Via Toronto Star

Toronto Raptors

Lakers Keep Powell And Mbenga
Jul 01, 2009 8:51 PM EST

Power forward Josh Powell and center D.J. Mbenga will remain on the Lakers' roster for the 2009-10 season after L.A. opted not to terminate theirrespective non-guaranteed contracts by the July 1 deadline, according to Lakers spokesman John Black.

Powell and Mbenga each had a year left on their contracts, and since neither was acted upon, the 6-10 and 7-0 post players are guaranteed through the comingseason.

Via Lakers.com

Los Angeles Lakers

Villanueva Comes To Terms With Detroit
Jul 01, 2009 7:40 PM EST

Charlie Villanueva has agreed to a five-year deal with the Pistons. His contract is worth at least $35 million.

RealGM Note: Villanueva had been expected to sign with Cleveland, but with Carlos Boozer remaining in Utah, the Pistons had additional resources to pursue abig.

Via Newsday

Detroit Pistons

Cavs Going After Artest
Jul 01, 2009 6:21 PM EST

According to several league sources, the Cavaliers have been been in contact with Ron Artest.

LeBron James met with Artest on Tuesday night, according to the report.

The Rockets have had interest in Cavs free agent Anderson Varejao in the past, which opens up some possibilities of a sign-and-trade scenario - though the Cavshave said they want to re-sign Varejao.

Via Plain Dealer

Cleveland Cavaliers, Houston Rockets

Raptors Preparing $60M Offer For Turkoglu
Jul 01, 2009 5:27 PM EST

Sources say Toronto is preparing an offer of five years and $60 million for Hedo Turkoglu.

The Blazers are lining up a $50 million offer over the same length.

Update: It is now believed that the Raptors are out of the running for Turkoglu.

Via Oregonian

Toronto Raptors, Portland Trail Blazers

Magic Express Interest In Bass
Jul 01, 2009 4:04 PM EST

The Magic have expressed interest in signing free agent Brandon Bass, who played for Dallas in each of the past two seasons. Bass' agent, Tony Dutt, saidWednesday he did speak with the Magic. "Yes, I did speak to (Magic General Manager) Otis Smith and they did show interest in Brandon," Dutt said.

Via Orlando Sentinel

Orlando Magic

Rudy Fuming Over Portland's Pursuit Of Turkoglu
Jul 01, 2009 3:44 PM EST

As Portland pursues Hedo Turkoglu, they have angered Rudy Fernandez in the process, according to sources.

Fernandez would prefer to play in Greece, Russia or even Spain again.

A league source told ESPN.com that Fernandez has already been courted informally by European powerhouses Olympiacos, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and CSKA Moscow.

Fernandez, who paid more than $500,000 of his own money to buy his way out of his contract with DKV Joventut, believes he can earn 5 million euros per seasonif he signs a three-year contract in Europe. He is due to make $1.1 million from the Blazers next season.

The problem for Fernandez from a leverage standpoint is that he is entering the second year of his NBA rookie contract, and the Blazers have the option tore-sign him for a third and/or fourth season. Fernandez would have to be released from his NBA contract in order to receive a letter of clearance from FIBA.

The Blazers have been made aware of Fernandez's feelings, the source said.

Via ESPN

Portland Trail Blazers

Kidd Will Wait A Few Weeks To Decide
Jul 01, 2009 3:13 PM EST

Jason Kidd is unlikely to find a home for himself for several weeks, as he waits to see the moves the Dallas Mavericks make to upgrade their roster, leaguesources said Wednesday.

The Knicks are unlikely to give Kidd more than a one-year deal for the mid-level exception around $5 million, while Dallas would likely pay him around $8million.

Kidd believes the novelty of playing in the Garden and for Mike D'Antoni might wear on him during the course of what will likely be a difficult season.

Kidd will also conduct discussions with Portland.

Via Yahoo!

Dallas Mavericks, Portland Trail Blazers, New York Knicks

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Remember when Shawn Marion was an athletic, versatile All Star?

Me neither.
laugh.gif

I'll still take him.
wink.gif

But I'm glad there aren't anymore dudes trying to argue Josh Howard VS Shawn Marion..
grin.gif

Trevor Ariza's agent emerged from a lengthy phone conversation with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak on Wednesday afternoon convinced that the teamisn't as interested in re-signing his client as it claims to be.

"I had a long conversation with Mitch, and I don't think it's going anywhere," agent David Lee said. "I think I'm being optimisticwhen I say it's not going anywhere."

Lee said Kupchak did not make a contract offer, nor were salary parameters discussed in the ballpark of what he believes Ariza deserves. Ariza already has"several" firm offers from other teams, according to Lee, and will begin speaking with opposing coaches on Thursday.

Asked if he could envision Ariza accepting a deal from another team without speaking to the Lakers again, Lee said, "Yes, we have no choice. That'sthe position they've put us in."

http://blogs.pe.com/prosports/2009/07/ariza-contract-talks-not-going.html

wow no more ariza huh.....ive looked around but havent found anything on it... where people getting this info from

wait hold on on ESPN News there saying Ariza is close to leaving LA for bigger money and he thinks he is worth more then the MLE and the cavs are in therunning for him. he ant getting more then the MLE from the cavs so that story sounds BS to me

Sign and Trade AV for Artest at around $8-8.5m per
Convince Sheed for the MLE that it's a Championship lineup:

Mo
Artest
Bron
Sheed
Shaq

Apparently the Cavs are going after Anthony Parker also, so if no Sheed:

Mo
Parker
Artest
LeBron