NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif

People just don't get it, does Hedo put Portland in the top 2-3 teams in the NBA? NO

So they are going to continue to pay the luxury tax over and over and over for NOT winning a chip, and you guys think this is ok why?
laugh.gif

Allen isn't afraid of 5-6 million over the cap, but pretty sure that he'd get narrowminded over 30-40 extra million with no results. As Osh said, that type stuff gets guys fired. The young core stuff runs out after a minute don't it?

Oh and remember, this Hedo got locked up by Ariza right? Shouldn't the Blazers make more of a play for him, at less cost, and younger, then the older version who was handcuffed?
nerd.gif

Yeah.

/topic

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Locked up by Ariza? Turk put up 18 PPG on near 50 FG% and over 40% on threes
ohwell.gif

Thas 10 mil to you? Who had a better series, Turk or Trevor?

Younger?

Cheaper?

Yes, Hedo is the better all around player today, 5 years from now at the cost of 12 million, what will Hedo bring you?

Portland already has Roy, and presumably could go after Andre to run point, wouldn't Ariza fit in perfect for that team?

( I am in NO way saying that I want Ariza to go to Portland, at all.
laugh.gif
)

Ariza ain't what they need though... They need another SCORER... You ain't winning a damn thing with Roy and Aldridge as the only proven pointproducers on the roster...

Hedo as a third scorer and point forward is good $$$... He was relied upon in those playoffs as damn near THE guy offensively for Orlando...

And they already got an Ariza type dude in Outlaw...

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

laugh.gif

People just don't get it, does Hedo put Portland in the top 2-3 teams in the NBA? NO

So they are going to continue to pay the luxury tax over and over and over for NOT winning a chip, and you guys think this is ok why?
laugh.gif

Allen isn't afraid of 5-6 million over the cap, but pretty sure that he'd get narrowminded over 30-40 extra million with no results. As Osh said, that type stuff gets guys fired. The young core stuff runs out after a minute don't it?

Oh and remember, this Hedo got locked up by Ariza right? Shouldn't the Blazers make more of a play for him, at less cost, and younger, then the older version who was handcuffed?
nerd.gif

Yeah.
the Blazers could get kobe and lebron and you would down play it there is NO point in talking about the suns or blazers with you

See, you don't listen. What have I been wrong about? Plenty of people saying similar things I am. Chester doesn't want Hedo, biggest Blazer fan onthis board. He's pissed about Sergio too. So, I'm wrong? Cuz I disagree with you?
eyes.gif

Read what I have been saying. Tell me how Hedo makes them a title winner. Tell me he is a better fit then Trevor. Go ahead, tell me. I'm listening.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Ariza ain't what they need though... They need another SCORER... You ain't winning a damn thing with Roy and Aldridge as the only proven point producers on the roster...

Hedo as a third scorer and point forward is good $$$... He was relied upon in those playoffs as damn near THE guy offensively for Orlando...

/THREAD

Ariza ain't what they need though... They need another SCORER... You ain't winning a damn thing with Roy and Aldridge as the only proven point producers on the roster...

But are there enough shots to go around?

....and I thought Outlaw was gonna be gone?

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Locked up by Ariza? Turk put up 18 PPG on near 50 FG% and over 40% on threes
ohwell.gif
Thas 10 mil to you? Who had a better series, Turk or Trevor?

Younger?

Cheaper?

Yes, Hedo is the better all around player today, 5 years from now at the cost of 12 million, what will Hedo bring you?

Portland already has Roy, and presumably could go after Andre to run point, wouldn't Ariza fit in perfect for that team?

( I am in NO way saying that I want Ariza to go to Portland, at all.
laugh.gif
)
Ariza is definitely the better value (at least from what is known), but Turk is the better talent.

For Portland's needs? Turk all the way. They have their Ariza-like players in Outlaw (length, athleticism, scoring) and Batum (length, athleticism,defense). They need another perimeter threat because Outlaw isn't reliable and Batum ain't quite ready. Fernandez is nice, but he likes settling forthrees and won't get baseline alley oops with Rodriguez in Sacramento
laugh.gif

And like I said a few pages ago, Miller is a bad fit on Portland.

Whom they may trade for Andre Miller.

And they beleive that Rudy and Webster will add the scoring needed.

Agreed Hedo is the better scorer, but will they win now? Will they win in the next 2 years. Cuz after that, he won't help much. Or do you think likeMike that Hedo can play til he's @#$%^&* 50?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bballah3

But are there enough shots to go around?

....and I thought Outlaw was gonna be gone?
Enough shots to go around? You DO NOT win in this league without three night-in, night-out reliable scorers... Period. Who else on that team needsa ton of shots? Oden? Pryz? Rudy?
laugh.gif
Come on...

Who said Outlaw was a lock to be shown the door? Even if he is, what does Ariza bring to the table that they don't think Nicholas Batum brings them?I'm not buying into Trevor Ariza. I'm just not. The best thing he can do for his career is stay with Kobe...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Yeah.
the Blazers could get kobe and lebron and you would down play it there is NO point in talking about the suns or blazers with you

See, you don't listen. What have I been wrong about? Plenty of people saying similar things I am. Chester doesn't want Hedo, biggest Blazer fan on this board. He's pissed about Sergio too. So, I'm wrong? Cuz I disagree with you?
eyes.gif

Read what I have been saying. Tell me how Hedo makes them a title winner. Tell me he is a better fit then Trevor. Go ahead, tell me. I'm listening.

He's not going to tell you because it just doesn't make sense. Portland will be in the 2nd round for the next few years and will have a payroll justas bad as the Mavericks in a few years if they make this signing to go along with the extensions they will have to make with their other players. They willcontinue to pay the luxury tax even though they will have a winning product on the floor, but no type of championship atmosphere. It will be the same 2nd roundexit year after year and by the time they MIGHT be good enough to make it towards a championship (when Roy, Aldridge, etc.) reach their prime, Hedo will bewhat? 34?

Portland has many other trade assets to make a deal work to just get them a damn PG. They have Webster/Outlaw/Batum. They can keep at least two of them alongwith making a deal for a PG. That will be their best bet. There's no knock on Turkoglu, but Paul Allen will just be the next Mark Cuban in terms of NBAmoves. Paying that luxury tax just for the fun of it and won't win a single ring.
laugh.gif

While we are on the Blazers....

[h2]Unhappy Fernandez has Europe suitors[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
Archive

Portland's pursuit of a certain player from Turkey has infuriated the Trail Blazers' lone remaining Spanish player, Rudy Fernandez, to the point where he'd prefer to play in Greece, Russia or even Spainagain, ESPN.com learned Tuesday.

3204.jpg

Fernandez

A league source told ESPN.com that Fernandez has already been courted informally by European powerhouses Olympiacos, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and CSKAMoscow as word spread that the Blazers had become the apparent front-runners to land free agent Hedo Turkoglu.

Fernandez, who paid more than $500,000 of his own money to buy his way out of his contract with DKV Joventut, believes he can earn 5 million euros perseason if he signs a three-year contract in Europe. He is due to make $1.1 million from the Blazers next season.

The problem for Fernandez from a leverage standpoint is that he is entering the second year of his NBA rookie contract, and the Blazers have the option tore-sign him for a third and/or fourth season. Fernandez would have to be released from his NBA contract in order to receive a letter of clearance from FIBA,the sport's international governing body, to play elsewhere.

The Blazers have been made aware of Fernandez's feelings, the source said. The source added that Fernandez has not formally requested a trade but hasexpressed his dissatisfaction with the way he was used by Portland coach Nate McMillan over the course of his rookie season. Fernandez averaged 26 minutes offthe bench and scored 10.2 points per game, rarely handling the ball or acting as an offensive initiator -- two of Turkoglu's specialties.

If the Blazers were to sign Turkoglu, it could leave Fernandez in a reduced role -- backing up Brandon Roy at the two-guard spot and getting fewer minutes at small forward, where Fernandezand Travis Outlaw backed up Nicolas Batum last season.

Portland only recently severed its tied with its other Spanish player, dealing point guard Sergio Rodriguez to Sacramento on draft night last Thursday after Rodriguez spent three yearswith the Blazers as the second- and sometimes third-string point guard.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

why wouldnt it make them a top 3 team in the next few years? the spurs are on there last legs and like most i have no faith in the nuggets playing the same.all they need is defense out of oden and it would be a top 3 team

Or do you think like Mike that Hedo can play til he's @#$%^&* 50?
when did i say this? 10 million a year till hedo is 35 is NOT a bad deal

How many teams in recent NBA history stayed with an extremely young core that won a championship?
grin.gif
. Like there's no guarantee if Turk signs with the Blazers they win a championship within 5 years, there's no guarantee sticking with thiscore and not signing a veteran like Turk will win a championship either.

Originally Posted by bballah3

While we are on the Blazers....

[h2]Unhappy Fernandez has Europe suitors[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
Archive

Portland's pursuit of a certain player from Turkey has infuriated the Trail Blazers' lone remaining Spanish player, Rudy Fernandez, to the point where he'd prefer to play in Greece, Russia or even Spain again, ESPN.com learned Tuesday.

3204.jpg

Fernandez

A league source told ESPN.com that Fernandez has already been courted informally by European powerhouses Olympiacos, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and CSKA Moscow as word spread that the Blazers had become the apparent front-runners to land free agent Hedo Turkoglu.

Fernandez, who paid more than $500,000 of his own money to buy his way out of his contract with DKV Joventut, believes he can earn 5 million euros per season if he signs a three-year contract in Europe. He is due to make $1.1 million from the Blazers next season.

The problem for Fernandez from a leverage standpoint is that he is entering the second year of his NBA rookie contract, and the Blazers have the option to re-sign him for a third and/or fourth season. Fernandez would have to be released from his NBA contract in order to receive a letter of clearance from FIBA, the sport's international governing body, to play elsewhere.

The Blazers have been made aware of Fernandez's feelings, the source said. The source added that Fernandez has not formally requested a trade but has expressed his dissatisfaction with the way he was used by Portland coach Nate McMillan over the course of his rookie season. Fernandez averaged 26 minutes off the bench and scored 10.2 points per game, rarely handling the ball or acting as an offensive initiator -- two of Turkoglu's specialties.

If the Blazers were to sign Turkoglu, it could leave Fernandez in a reduced role -- backing up Brandon Roy at the two-guard spot and getting fewer minutes at small forward, where Fernandez and Travis Outlaw backed up Nicolas Batum last season.

Portland only recently severed its tied with its other Spanish player, dealing point guard Sergio Rodriguez to Sacramento on draft night last Thursday after Rodriguez spent three years with the Blazers as the second- and sometimes third-string point guard.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

roll.gif
Way to go Allen. Traded a key asset for crap and making your sixth manmad because you want to go after a player that you don't even need. If Rudy leaves to go overseas, this will just make me
laugh.gif

How many teams in recent NBA history stayed with an extremely young core that won a championship?
grin.gif
. Like there's no guarantee if Turk signs with the Blazers they win a championship within 5 years, there's no guarantee sticking with this core and not signing a veteran like Turk will win a championship either.
I'm not saying they need to keep that core together forever, but they have like a 12-damn deep roster.
laugh.gif
If he wants to become a championship contender, makes some trades. How manyteams you know won championships due to a mediocre free agent signing that wasn't a superstar? Most teams build their teams through the draft and trades.If he's such a GREAT GM, he needs make some moves to get the right product on the floor. Hedo isn't the answer though.

Agreed Hedo is the better scorer, but will they win now? Will they win in the next 2 years. Cuz after that, he won't help much. Or do you think like Mike that Hedo can play til he's @#$%^&* 50?
laugh.gif
So Nicholas Batum replaces that role... Still, there's not much difference between what they think he can bring and what Ariza does...

If they really, truly believed that, they wouldn't be discussing Hedo...

You honestly don't think Hedo, plus Miller, plus maturation from their young guys puts them close?
So the Blazers are chalking up nearly 60 FGA between 3 guys???
Exaggerate much?

Hedo has never averaged more than like 12 or 13 shots a game over the course of a season... LA took 15 on average last year...

Dirk you stated that they aren't winning a damn thing with LA and Roy as the only scorers.

Are they winning anything by adding Hedo? He's it, he's enough?

At some point Bayless takes over, now you have 4 guys who want to shoot, and Rudy and Outlaw off the bench.
laugh.gif

Ok. Ya'll just make sure you check in with me every single year when they continue to not win anything but 2 or 3 games in the playoffs and bounce. Iwatched this story for 15 damn years, and every single time they do the same thing. Not win. But this time it's different huh?
laugh.gif

Or do you think like Mike that Hedo can play til he's @#$%^&* 50?
when did i say this? 10 million a year till hedo is 35 is NOT a bad deal
If it was 10 10 10 10 10 for the 5 years, I'd agree with you. But it won't be. As I said, it'll be something like 8, 9.5, 10, 10.5,12 or something like that. That means at 35 he'll be near 12 million a year. That's a good deal to you?

If it was 10 10 10 10 10 for the 5 years, I'd agree with you. But it won't be. As I said, it'll be something like 8, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 12 or something like that. That means at 35 he'll be near 12 million a year. That's a good deal to you?
laugh.gif
How do you know it'll be like that? How do you knowthey won't front-load it and be paying the highest value when he's at HIS highest value? How do you know they won't go straight 10 per? Come ondude...
Well...Roy puts up 20 fga....

Closer to 16, but whatever... Either way, Brandon Roy and Hedo Turkoglu don't feel like guys that HAVE to take that many shots... Roy seems like a prettyadaptable guy to me, as does Hedo...

Let's chalk Roy up for 17, Hedo for his career average of 14, and LA around last year's 15... That's 46... Is that nearing 60?
eyes.gif

I'm gonna dig some stuff up, give me a minute and I'll have something else for this...

Well...Roy puts up 20 fga....LMA 15+ and Hedo 15+ is closing in on 60 pretty fast.....So I dont know how "nearly 60" is any kind of anexaggeration...

Agreed Hedo is the better scorer, but will they win now? Will they win in the next 2 years. Cuz after that, he won't help much. Or do you think like Mike that Hedo can play til he's @#$%^&* 50?
laugh.gif
So Nicholas Batum replaces that role... Still, there's not much difference between what they think he can bring and what Ariza does...

If they really, truly believed that, they wouldn't be discussing Hedo...

You honestly don't think Hedo, plus Miller, plus maturation from their young guys puts them close?
There ya go, see, you're smarter then Mike, you pay attention. I said a few pages back that if they get Hedo AND Miller, that might work out.

However, I cautioned on Having 3 guys who are better suited to have the ball in their hands with Miller, Roy, and Hedo. But I did say, it might just work out,IF Oden can come along as well. He needs to be #1 pick Oden, not Kwame Oden.
laugh.gif

If it was 10 10 10 10 10 for the 5 years, I'd agree with you. But it won't be. As I said, it'll be something like 8, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 12 or something like that. That means at 35 he'll be near 12 million a year. That's a good deal to you?
laugh.gif
How do you know it'll be like that? How do you know they won't front-load it and be paying the highest value when he's at HIS highest value? How do you know they won't go straight 10 per? Come on dude...

I can't think of a contract that the value goes down per year. If I'm wrong, then hey, no problem there and I'll say as much. But you bettin onHedo makin less money as the years go by? I'd be surprised big time.

Back
Top Bottom