NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

This is the last year Portland has the money to spend on free agents.

They won't be able to be in this position for awhile with Roy and Aldridge up for extensions.

Signing Hedo to 5 year contract is going to get somebody fired if it does not result in a chip, thats the type of contract that is a franchise killing typeimmovable brick once Hedo's skills inevitably diminish.

So what do the Blazers do when they need to re-up on Aldridge, Roy and Oden?

Blazers are gonna take way to big of a hit with Turk.

They should sign a mid level solid vet, forget going big with Hedo, it isnt gonna even take them into the WCF.

Like whoever said it above me, its a move just to spend money.

Roy will get top dollar, but LA can't really get that much can he? Can't be more then 10-12 for him right? Is he gonna ask for 15?
eek.gif

Damn if he does.
laugh.gif

Also, Chester made a good point, 9 mil from Miles comes off next year, they'll be able to use that on these two also. And at some point they'lll haveto move Outlaw/Blake/Webster and either Oden or Pryz will be off the year after.

laugh.gif
Why are we throwing Oden in with the other two like he's nearing some big pay day? As of now, he's a mid-level money big man after his rookiecontract... They can make that work if they decide to... They're going to pay Brandon Roy. There's no doubt about that whatsoever... What happens withAldridge is TBD, but I think if they're close, they've got an ownership/FO that won't let the opportunity slip away...

Hedo on $10M a year is NOT some huge reach... Is he worth 5 years? Maybe not, but if that's where the market sets itself, and you think he's a guy thatputs you in the category of San Antonio, Los Angeles, and Denver, you do it...

It's not like they're Memphis or Charlotte, where they flat out can't afford this type thing... You want to win a championship, you're gonna bepaying the luxury tax somewhere along the way. That's just the way it works, and you've gotta accept it...

LA will demand at least 12...cant see anyone giving him less either. Somebody, somewhere will be willing to drop that on him. Although I dont think he is worthmore than 9...He is nearly 7ft and cant grab a rebound for his life, and he really has no low post game.

Im just thinking of the Hedo signing and how it is going to affect them keeping their core team together that has been productive for them. Obviously B-Roy isa lifer....but you are gonna have to ride out Hedo now along-side him. You have to let go Oden or LA. Outlaw is gone....

Personally, I would let Oden drop out of my hands. Pryzbilla has already proved to be better than him in every facet of his game so I cant see them letting himgo. Oden is going to take a max contract from somebody out there (not to mention he hates living in Portland and has attitude problems).

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

aint like paul allen is afraid of the luxury tax.
He runs the Blazers as a business....not as some throw away money pit for him....Just to update you, in the lats 6 years he has lost a lot of$$$$, the arena they play in, and nearly sold the team.

Oden is going to take a max contract from somebody out there
laugh.gif
Man stop it... You think he's gonna build up thatkinda value before he hits FA?

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

aint like paul allen is afraid of the luxury tax.

THIS

Hedo on $10M a year is NOT some huge reach
THIS

Why are we throwing Oden in with the other two like he's nearing some big pay day? As of now, he's a mid-level money big man after his rookie contract
and THIS

I agree with just about everything CP said about Turk in Portland. Money and skill-wise.

This Boozer thing is a bit intriguing. Does anyone know if you can package one player along with another in a sign-and-trade? FOR EXAMPLE (everyone chill out),if the Cavs signed Varejao to $8m per, couple him with Boobie Gibson, can they then make that trade for Boozer? JUST A HYPOTHETICAL BEFORE YOU GUYS WHIP OUTYOUR GUNS.

I THINK they have to agree on the sign and trade before hand, they cant sign AV then a few days later trade him for boozer

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

bballah3, any news on Rubio?
nerd.gif

Yeah...here is the update on the Rubio situation....Nothing you guys dont know...

David Kahn is a moron.

Rubio is holding out. Nobody on the team has even talked to the kid outside of Kahn. Even that situation didn't last long it was a "hi and bye"type of phone call...

Rubio would of been in a T'Wolves uniform next year had they not picked Flynn at 6. His agent told Kahn that as soon as Flynn is gone, Rubio will be inMinny. Kahn, however, decided to speak on "Playing them together" and scared the kid off.....

Seriously one of the most boneheaded moves in life I have ever witnessed first hand.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

what was Browns 2nd contract?
When he came to the Lakers? Like $8-9M
sick.gif

Oden can definitely get that in free agency. He's 7'0, young and reasonable athletic. I don't care if he doesn't live up the expectations.Doesn't matter if he misses games. This is the NBA where teams pay for legit centers.

I THINK they have to agree on the sign and trade before hand, they cant sign AV then a few days later trade him for boozer

Right, but can they include another player? Opposed to signing AV for $13m per, they sign him for $8m, and add Boobie in the mix. Is that allowed?

Originally Posted by JDB1523

Right, but can they include another player? Opposed to signing AV for $13m per, they sign him for $8m, and add Boobie in the mix. Is that allowed?

Yes...as long as AV and Utah agree to the sign and trade. Boobie would have no say in the trade.

^^^ Plus a lot of teams look a what the Blazers are doing with Oden as completely wrong. They tried to bulk him up and make him a beast, but he is best whenagile and running the floor. When he changes teams he will slim down and be a different player.

Originally Posted by bballah3

^^^ Plus a lot of teams look a what the Blazers are doing with Oden as completely wrong. They tried to bulk him up and make him a beast, but he is best when agile and running the floor. When he changes teams he will slim down and be a different player.

wasnt that on oden tho when he couldn't run cause of his knee and was just weight training?

JDB1523 ya you can add players to that deal

laugh.gif

People just don't get it, does Hedo put Portland in the top 2-3 teams in the NBA? NO

So they are going to continue to pay the luxury tax over and over and over for NOT winning a chip, and you guys think this is ok why?
laugh.gif

Allen isn't afraid of 5-6 million over the cap, but pretty sure that he'd get narrowminded over 30-40 extra million with no results. As Osh said,that type stuff gets guys fired. The young core stuff runs out after a minute don't it?

Oh and remember, this Hedo got locked up by Ariza right? Shouldn't the Blazers make more of a play for him, at less cost, and younger, then the olderversion who was handcuffed?
nerd.gif

Yeah.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by bballah3

^^^ Plus a lot of teams look a what the Blazers are doing with Oden as completely wrong. They tried to bulk him up and make him a beast, but he is best when agile and running the floor. When he changes teams he will slim down and be a different player.

wasnt that on oden tho when he couldn't run cause of his knee and was just weight training?

JDB1523 ya you can add players to that deal
Well the Blazers were making that regimen for him....

The Blazers took away the best things about Odens game. He used to be able to beat any guard down the floor, he could jump higher, he had lateral movement.

i would NEVER sign hedo for anything ... dude hit about 5 big shots last year, otehr than that hegot shut the +#%% down in the finals ... id push for odom overhedo EARLY!

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif

People just don't get it, does Hedo put Portland in the top 2-3 teams in the NBA? NO

So they are going to continue to pay the luxury tax over and over and over for NOT winning a chip, and you guys think this is ok why?
laugh.gif

Allen isn't afraid of 5-6 million over the cap, but pretty sure that he'd get narrowminded over 30-40 extra million with no results. As Osh said, that type stuff gets guys fired. The young core stuff runs out after a minute don't it?

Oh and remember, this Hedo got locked up by Ariza right? Shouldn't the Blazers make more of a play for him, at less cost, and younger, then the older version who was handcuffed?
nerd.gif

Yeah.
the Blazers could get kobe and lebron and you would down play it there is NO point in talking about the suns or blazers with you

Back
Top Bottom