NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Originally Posted by franchise3

Guys like TMac and JO are in fact stealing money, but it's more because of injuries derailing their career. TMac is an interesting case because insurance is picking up like 80% of his salary.

Guys like Dampier, Cardinal, Foyle, etc straight mollywhopped the system and struck it rich big time.

Interesting that Boozer and Okur exercised their options. Especially Boozer. A team like Detroit or Memphis would've gave these dudes somewhere around 10M.

If either of these dudes get injured this year, it's a wrap when they do hit the FA market
Not really, that potential 10 mil would be less than the 13 mil Booz is set to make this year. Okur probably would have gotten around the same 9 mil he's making this year so it was smart to stay. Utah could make some noise if everyone stays healthy next year.
I agree, Boozer had a relatively quiet year, while already being injury-prone. I think if he re-establishes who he is, then someone might bite ongiving him 10 million again next year, and why opt out now when he can make more money. He knows no one is able to pay him big money right now.

Okur is in the same boat, just not as injury prone. He won't get paid like he is now if he had opted out right now.

Originally Posted by knightngale

Kirilenko is stealing money as well. At least Ben was DPOY a few times. What has kirilenko done?
At the time he got his extension, AK47 was a very good forward. He's fallen off due to injuries and not playing his natural position, whichhas thus led to a lack of confidence. When he had that one very good season filling up the stat sheet, he was playing PF. When Boozer and Okur came, he wasshifted to SF where he isn't best used.

Guys like TMac and JO are in fact stealing money, but it's more because of injuries derailing their career. TMac is an interesting case because insurance is picking up like 80% of his salary.

Guys like Dampier, Cardinal, Foyle, etc straight mollywhopped the system and struck it rich big time.

Interesting that Boozer and Okur exercised their options. Especially Boozer. A team like Detroit or Memphis would've gave these dudes somewhere around 10M.

If either of these dudes get injured this year, it's a wrap when they do hit the FA market
Not really, that potential 10 mil would be less than the 13 mil Booz is set to make this year. Okur probably would have gotten around the same 9 mil he's making this year so it was smart to stay. Utah could make some noise if everyone stays healthy next year.
That's the thing though. Boozer gives up 3M this year, to secure a longer term deal. What if he suffers an injury. He won't see close to10 when he is a FA. Okur, the same thing.

When a team like Detroit has money to play with, you might as well opt out and hope they come calling. Which they probably would.

These dudes David Lee and Millsap on the other hand, I don't think they see close to 10 this year.

And if they do, more reason to should've opted out.

That's the thing though. Boozer gives up 3M this year, to secure a longer term deal. What if he suffers an injury. He won't see close to 10 when he is a FA. Okur, the same thing.

When a team like Detroit has money to play with, you might as well opt out and hope they come calling. Which they probably would.

These dudes David Lee and Millsap on the other hand, I don't think they see close to 10 this year.

And if they do, more reason to should've opted out.
Well I'm going off the assumption that Booz stays healthy, he hasn't been injury prone for most of his career I don't think. And teamswill have more money to spend next year cause of the 2010 craze, not everyone is going to sign Bron/Bosh/Wade so those that don't may have to settle andthen pay Booz that 14 mil+ he's looking for.

That's true too

..but then again, these dudes ain't really getting any younger, so eh.

Either way, next offseason should be fun

That's true too

That's why I see Lee and Millsap getting healthy contracts this year.

Word is from OKC is that they're preparing a deal worth around 65/5.
eek.gif

im hearin alot of talk of a sign and trade between portland and philly with andre miller for steve blake and travis outlaw

Originally Posted by jawn piece

im hearin alot of talk of a sign and trade between portland and philly with andre miller for steve blake and travis outlaw
eek.gif
Outlaw in Philly... Hmmm...

Blake/Jrue
Willie Green?
sick.gif
I'd honestly rather see Lou Nevermind, Kapono I suppose.
Iggy
Outlaw
Sam Dam

Not bad, but still a huge piece away.

Also, no it was Millsap. I can't remember where I read it, maybe it was in this thread, but I can't find it now.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

That's true too

eek.gif

I don't care if you OKC or my team. Giving that guy that much money is ******ed. I would be pissed if Memphis paid that much for him. I wouldn't go nohigher than 50/5 for him.

eek.gif

Blake/Jrue
Willie Green?
sick.gif
Iggy
Outlaw
Sam Dam

What happened to Thad and Brand?
laugh.gif

NaS posted it earlier...
[h1]Analysis: Grizzlies seek frontcourt muscle and backup PG during free agent period[/h1]
By Ronald Tillery (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Their stated goals are to secure a player that puts big-time power in one of the forward positions, and to land a backup point guard.

The Grizzlies enter free agency Wednesday with a short shopping list, but one that is geared toward filling gaping holes.

While insiders contend the organization remains undeterred in its efforts to consummate a trade for Los Angeles Clippers forward Zach Randolph, there are several other options the Griz can now consider in hopes of bolstering their frontline.

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley is determined to bring to Memphis a high-caliber power forward, making that his priority this offseason, less than two years after gift-wrapping Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers.

That player must fit the criteria, though, of being young, productive and reasonably priced.

Armed with significant money to spend under the salary cap, the Griz will join at least six teams -- Detroit, Oklahoma City, Portland, Sacramento, Atlanta and Toronto -- expected to be in position to shop.

Utah's Paul Milsap and New York's David Lee are highly coveted yet restricted free agents who will have several suitors, including Memphis and Oklahoma City. Reports already have Oklahoma preparing to offer Milsap a five-year, $65 million contract -- something similar to a deal Lee reportedly is seeking.

It is important to remember that teams with restricted free agents have the right to match offer sheets. Such was the case when the Griz tendered an offer sheet to Atlanta's Josh Smith last August only to watch the Hawks match in less than 24 hours.

Pursuing Milsap or Lee makes sense for the Grizzlies, considering both players have proven to be effective rebounders, and are young enough to fit Heisley's three-year plan.

Lee led the NBA with 62 double-doubles last season, while Milsap put together a string of 19 straight double-doubles in Carlos Boozer's absence for the Jazz.

There are also less-heralded players on the Grizzlies' radar.

Cleveland's Anderson Varejao is an energy player who the Griz pursued two years ago before signing Darko Milicic. Varejao would come into play if he expectedly passes on a player option with the Cavs.

Boston forwards Glen Davis and Leon Powe -- both restricted free agents -- and Milwaukee's Charlie Villanueva (unrestricted) are also people of interest for the Griz.

Finding a reserve point guard may sound simple but it could be a tricky proposition.

One reason the Griz passed on a guard in the draft is the organization decided it didn't want a starting-job battle at that position. Simply put: the Griz would rather have an experienced player capable of pushing incumbent starter Mike Conley but not competing for his job, as was the case with Kyle Lowry.

What are the Grizzlies' chances of luring quality free agents?

Reasonably good.

One thing to keep in mind is the ever-changing NBA economy. Teams are tightening their purse strings and trying to be smarter with how they spend.

Players looking for over-spending owners likely will have fewer suitors this summer than they would have had a few years ago. Contracts are likely to be shorter in length and more fiscally responsible for teams.

"We're going to try to continue to try to get a player or two that will make us look better," Heisley said. "And I'm sure somebody will say that you could have gotten this guy, but you didn't do it because you didn't spend the money. ... But in three years, if we haven't gotten a heck of a lot better, I'll pay the price."

Tip-in: As expected, Memphis made qualifying offers to two restricted free agents -- current Griz Hakim Warrick and former Griz Juan Carlos Navarro. The move allows the team to retain its right of first refusal, meaning Navarro would have to go through Memphis if he ever returns to the NBA

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

That's true too

eek.gif

I don't care if you OKC or my team. Giving that guy that much money is ******ed. I would be pissed if Memphis paid that much for him. I wouldn't go no higher than 50/5 for him.

eek.gif

Blake/Jrue
Willie Green?
sick.gif
Iggy
Outlaw
Sam Dam

What happened to Thad and Brand?
laugh.gif

Thad? Thad who?

What's a Brand?

smh.gif
laugh.gif

I was looking at their depth chart on Yahoo! Sports because I couldn't for the life of me think of who they had.

Blake/Jrue
Iggy
Thad/Outlaw
Brand
Sam Dam

I like that!
laugh.gif

Why am I the only one who's not excited with Charlie Villafrickinnueva's name getting thrown around?

I mean he's decent, but if I'm the Cavs, I want no part of that chucker.
The Cavs are desperate, they're trying to do whatever they think will please Bron and potentially put them over the top next season, but the moves they have made or are rumored to be trying just don't make too much sense as far as them improving their chances of winning the East let alone the title. They got Shaq, ok, who is an upgrade over Z, Ben, and whatever big they have on their roster, but it still doesn't solve their perimeter defensive problems or inability to matchup with some teams. CV is a chucker and needs the ball to be effective, with Bron and Shaq, I don't see how that's possible. I don't know if Mo wants to be regulated to a spot up shooter.
Not really. James has never said he's unhappy in Cleveland or that he intends to leave for New York. Any talk of James going to New York hasbeen fabricated by the biased East coast media which has a sense of entitlement-- anything bigger than life's gotta be in New York.

It seems like OKC and MEM will end up getting Lee and Millsap. I think Memphis will end up with Lee, while OKC ends up with Millsap.

From RealGM...

[h1]Source: Lee Leaving New Yorkhttp://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60223/20090630/source_lee_leaving_new_york/[/h1]

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60223/20090630/source_lee_leaving_new_york/
Jun 30, 2009 9:30 PM EST

Lee_David_nyk.jpg
A source told Ken Berger that he believes David Lee's days as a Knick are over. Agent Mark Bartelstein will reportedly have Lee sign an offer sheet with the Grizzlies or Thunder that the Knicks will not be willing to match.

"It's a tough loss for New York, but they don't want to screw up their 2010 plan," the source said.

Yeah, I believe someone else posted the same news from Rick Bucher. It should be a handful of pages back. I even included the depth charts for both teams afterthe trade.

Edit: Here's my post about the trade: http://niketalk.yuku.com/reply/6150...read-Shaq--CLE-Crawford--A.html#reply-6150985

The original post shouldn't be much further up on the page.

Booz has missed 1, 7, 31, 49, 8, 1, and 45 games in his six seasons. He turns 28 this November. If he stays healthy next year, he'll probably get anothermax deal. If he's injured half the year...? By not opting out he probably makes sure that he's on a contender instead of having to take money fromMemphis or Detroit. Either Utah will re-sign him or he can try and team up with one of the other stars that are FAs next year.

Okur has a better record of being healthy missing 10, 11, 0, 0, 2, 10, and 10 games in his six seasons. He turned 30 in May. IMO, age works against him, but sodoes his game. He's a third option so he probably believes that there isn't a market for him this year. He may not even make more money next year, butlike Booz, is more likely to end up on a good team.

Lee just screams of 6th man, energy dude though. Giving him 10M is nuts. Millsap on the other hand, at least you can throw it down low to him on the block andlet him work.

Lee just screams of 6th man, energy dude though. Giving him 10M is nuts. Millsap on the other hand, at least you can throw it down low to him on the block and let him work.
Lee is only good in a uptempo offense IMO. The good thing is that Memphis can be considered an uptempo team and more than likely will play uptempobasketball next season. I think Lee can be had for less than Millsap, but I'm not giving either one of them 13 mil. That's why I don't understandwhy OKC would do that.

David Lee, while no offensive dynamo, is better at offense (except maybe putbacks) than Millsap in terms of range, getting open, etc. and can run the floor just as well.

The fact that the Grizz tried to trade the 5 for him last year also tells me that there is interest. Also, the rumors that Memphis was looking to do Lee and 8th for the 2nd pick as well. Lee's agent is Demarre Carroll's agent too which is probably why they gave him a promise with the 27th pick in the draft.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

so if the Thunder sign Millsap, that means Jeff becomes the 6th man?
I think Milsap can handle the Five.

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Green
Milsap

At least I hope so, I'd hate to see Green off the bench..
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

whats the site yall fools get all the players contracts from?
If you are talking about current contracts, then you can get something close off hoopshype

Back
Top Bottom