NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Man the 2002 Draft has some back luck.

First Jay Williams gets his career cut way early, now Yao could be next.

I won't start a thread because it will quickly be locked, but if Jay Williams were still playing, would be considered one of the elite PGs? (Elite rightnow is only CP3, Deron, Chauncey, and TP in my opinion).

I think Jay Williams would be in the Jameer Nelson/Mike Bibby tier of PGs.

Score first PG that did a decent job of distributing the ball and has a few all star caliber seasons.

2ppkitk.png

I'd love the Warriors to do that trade, they'd have so much cap room after T-Macs contract expires. But that would leave us with Turiaf/Wright anderr....Randolph down low...they'd have to sign or trade for another big.

Well, he's not opting out and taking less money early.

[h2]Sources: Kobe returning to Lakers[/h2]

Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

It wasn't long ago that Kobe Bryant reportedly wanted out of Los Angeles. He's not going anywhere now.

110.jpg

Bryant

Fresh off winning the championship, the Lakers guard decided not to exercise an early termination option in his contract and will return for the 2009-10 season, a league source told ESPN.com's Chad Ford.

Bryant is scheduled to make $23 million next season by not opting out. He also has a player option to opt out of his contract in the 2010-11 season. The Lakers will work with Bryant over the summer and fall to hammer out a new, long-term extension, according to the source.

After two straight first-round exits from the playoffs, Bryant requested a trade in the spring of 2007, saying that he didn't like the direction the team's rebuilding was going.

The Lakers then went out and traded for big man Pau Gasol. Los Angeles increased its win total from 42 games to 57 and went to the NBA Finals, eventually losing to the Boston Celtics. The Lakers bounced back with a 65-win season in 2008-09, made it back to the Finals and beat the Orlando Magic for the title. Bryant distinguished himself by winning his first championship without Shaquille O'Neal. The duo won three from 2000-02.

Originally Posted by JDB1523

^
Ok, Belle, I take your word for it, here's my question, ALL YEAR long, Cavs preached Defense defense defense. Now, you guys get Shaq, flirting with Charlie V and could lose your best defender and Ben (though not as good as before)

So are yuo guys going for a more offensive team then to try and win, and forgetting defense? Then why have the coach of the year a defensive guy who can't even call an offensive set late in games? I don't get that at all.

And please anyone, spare me the Shaq and Charlie will play "that D" under Brown. Gimme a break.

To me, this is a very strange thing goin on here.
As a fan, and not as belle or OC because I obviously can't answer for them, I thought the EXACT same things CP. We've been preaching D throughout the Mike Brown era, lose because we didn't play efficient D in the ECF, and now we're giving up a hustle/D player to go for offensive CV? I can't answer it myself. I have some faith in Mike Brown getting guys to play D, although Mo was more than disappointing this year, but even if CV is busting his +#% on the D end he's not going to have the same energy and production on O. I really don't know. The only thing I can think of at this point would be a sign-and-trade for a big for Varejao, but what decent big is getting $8-10m that's available? Sheed, Millsap, Bass, Boozer are all worth a different amount then Varejao is going to get. But yes CP. I know what you mean and that's my main concern with CV as well, and if Varejao walks soon we HAVE to take CV or else we are seriously %%#@$% at the PF. In Ferry we trust?

To sum it up, the Cavs are panicking. They know that window is about to close and they're desperate to WIN.

They're trying to plug in players they think will help them bring a trophy, but in reality its going to blow up in their face.

Just though this was interesting, here's the player salaries going into next season: T-Mac is STEALING money
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Top NBA Salaries[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Tracy McGrady Houston[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$23,239,561[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Kobe Bryant LA Lakers[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$23,034,375[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Jermaine O'Neal Miami[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$22,995,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Tim Duncan San Antonio [/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$22,183,218[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Shaquille O'Neal Cleveland[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$20,000,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Dirk Nowitzki Dallas [/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$19,795,714[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-. Paul Pierce Boston[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$19,795,712[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Ray Allen Boston[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$19,766,860[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Rashard Lewis Orlando[/font]
[/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$18,876,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Michael Redd Milwaukee[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$17,040,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. Pau Gasol LA Lakers[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,451,250[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-. Andrei Kirilenko Utah[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,451,250[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Kevin Garnett Boston [/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,400,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14. Yao Ming Houston[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,378,325[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-. Amare Stoudemire Phoenix[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,378,325[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16. Vince Carter New Jersey[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,300,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17. Gilbert Arenas Washington[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,192,080[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18. Zach Randolph LA Clippers[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,000,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]19. Carmelo Anthony Denver[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$15,779,912[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-. LeBron James Cleveland[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-. Chris Bosh Toronto[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-. Dwyane Wade Miami[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23. Kenyon Martin Denver[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$15,363,636[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24. Dwight Howard Orlando [/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$15,133,800[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]25. Joe Johnson Atlanta[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$14,976,754[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]26. Elton Brand Philadelphia[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$14,858,471[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]27. Predrag Stojakovic New Orleans[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$14,202,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]28. Richard Jefferson San Antonio[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$14,200,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29. Ben Wallace Phoenix[/font][/td] [td][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/td] [td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$14,000,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30. Chris Paul New Orleans[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$13,758,000[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Yeah but you know who is just short off of making that list?

Erick Dampier....
smh.gif

Okur staying with the Jazz as well.

After looking at their options, forward Carlos Boozer and center Mehmet Okur decided to exercise the options on their contracts and stay with Utah.

Okur's agent, Marc Fleisher, told ESPN.com of his client's decision.

Boozer

Boozer will earn $12.7 million and will join the star-studded free agent class of 2010. The decision was first reported by the Salt Lake Tribune.

"We are excited that Carlos has decided to remain with the Jazz," general manager Kevin O'Connor said in a release. "We are hopeful he can continue to play at an All-Star level and will have an injury-free season."

Boozer averaged 16.2 points and 10.4 rebounds last season but played in only 37 games due to injuries. He has scored 16.8 points and pulled down 10.0 rebounds per game for his career.

Boozer's decision affects the rest of the Jazz's offseason decisions. Up-and-coming forward Paul Millsap is a restricted free agent.

Okur averaged 17.0 points and 7.7 rebounds per game last season. The 6-foot-11 center also hit 45 percent of his 3-pointers.

A few months ago, Boozer was confident he would be a free agent. He told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan that he was opting out in December.

"I'm opting out. No matter what, I'm going to get a raise regardless," Boozer told ESPN.com. "I am going to opt out, I don't see why I wouldn't, I think it's a very good business decision for me and my family, but I'd also like to see what happens with the Jazz and stay here."

The landscape changed a lot since Boozer made his statement in December. The financial meltdown caused owners to pull back on spending. The free agent landscape looked pretty dicey. Only three teams -- the Pistons, Thunder and Grizzlies -- had enough money under the cap to offer Boozer a substantial deal. Two of those teams, the Thunder and Grizzlies, are young teams in the process of rebuilding. Boozer was not in either team's plans, according to sources.

That lefy the Pistons and Jazz. For months it was assumed that Boozer would land in Detroit. But last week Pistons sources told ESPN.com that Boozer wasn't the team's highest priority and that, if they pursued him, they weren't willing to give him the $13 to $15 million a year he's looking for.

The Jazz weren't in a great position to re-sign him either with Millsap and Okur still question marks. It's unlikely they would have gone over the luxury tax threshold to re-sign Boozer.

If neither the Pistons nor Jazz offered Boozer a contract, he might have been forced to take the mid-level exception from a team -- a drastic $7 million pay cut for Boozer next season.

That, according to sources, is what pushed Boozer into staying in Utah.

With Boozer returning to Utah, all eyes now turn to Millsap, who is a restricted free agent. If the Jazz decide to sign Millsap, they'll incur the dreaded luxury tax. However, a Jazz source told ESPN.com that they're willing to do it to keep Millsap. Millsap is expected to have a number of suitors including the Pistons, Grizzlies and Thunder. All three teams could give him a contract with a large starting salary in the $8 to $10 million range.

If the Jazz do pay the luxury tax to retain, it would only be for one year. Next summer, Boozer, Kyle Korver and Matt Harpring would all come off the books, putting their payroll back below the tax.

Information from ESPN Insider's Chad Ford and Chris Sheridan and ESPN.com's Marc Stein was used in this report.

Lucky Utah being able to keep their frontline together for another season. Grizz, its time to outbid the Thunder for Millsap.

It's going to be a shaky season for Utah next season.

Sloan is nearing retirement, a number of free agents and 8-9 other teams competing for a playoff spot.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

It's going to be a shaky season for Utah next season.

Sloan is nearing retirement, a number of free agents and 8-9 other teams competing for a playoff spot.
Utah ain't the only one, at least they have a young PG.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Boozer might be screwing the Cavs for the second time.

Instead of DET going after him, they are probably going to overpay for Charlie V.

Cavs will def retain Andy. The market isn't good for what he's looking for and the Cavs need him badly.

Dream situation, Cavs get AV and CV...
sick.gif
im not the best when looking at the contracts and that but i read if we did get AV AND CV then we would be outta the running for a second maxplayer in 2010. so i dont know if that face is for a good or bad reason

and to answer the other question about the defense, you cannot say ben wallace was our best defender. yeah its not all about the stat sheet but ben hardlyplayed anymore. he was a beast in DET back in the day but he wasnt the defender he used to be. the best defender on the team has to be lebron and delonte hasimproved his D as well. we already play at a slower pace so im not so sure shaq will ruin our tempo. i think him on phoenix was more of a shocker. i dontknow who or what will happen in the next few days but we werent gonna beat LA even if we went to the finals.

i guess we have no choice BUT to trust in ferry, hes the one making the decisions as scary as that may be to some. maybe they will switch up the game plan alittle bit if we get charlie V but like i said, time will tell. if we could get along without anderson, i might risk it and ensure we have the cap space fornext off season as well. im sure they are runnin this by bron also.

its gonna get interesting!

Why am I the only one who's not excited with Charlie Villafrickinnueva's name getting thrown around?

I mean he's decent, but if I'm the Cavs, I want no part of that chucker.

^I think you're right about AV and CV and signing them. And there's no way AV will take a one-year deal again, and the minimum for the MLE apparentlyis 3 years, so CV would be around that long. Regardless, we need that flexibility for next summer. Unless we bomb this year and LeBron wants out (who knows,could happen), it's going to be extremely enticing for a player to play alongside LeBron for max money...not to mention we have Bird rights on LeBron'scontract...

...like you said, the next few weeks are going to be very very interesting for NBA fans...and not only for this season, but next summer as well...

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Why am I the only one who's not excited with Charlie Villafrickinnueva's name getting thrown around?

I mean he's decent, but if I'm the Cavs, I want no part of that chucker.
The Cavs are desperate, they're trying to do whatever they think will please Bron and potentially put them over the top next season, but themoves they have made or are rumored to be trying just don't make too much sense as far as them improving their chances of winning the East let alone thetitle. They got Shaq, ok, who is an upgrade over Z, Ben, and whatever big they have on their roster, but it still doesn't solve their perimeter defensiveproblems or inability to matchup with some teams. CV is a chucker and needs the ball to be effective, with Bron and Shaq, I don't see how that'spossible. I don't know if Mo wants to be regulated to a spot up shooter.

Guys like TMac and JO are in fact stealing money, but it's more because of injuries derailing their career. TMac is an interesting case because insuranceis picking up like 80% of his salary.

Guys like Dampier, Cardinal, Foyle, etc straight mollywhopped the system and struck it rich big time.

Interesting that Boozer and Okur exercised their options. Especially Boozer. A team like Detroit or Memphis would've gave these dudes somewhere around 10M.

If either of these dudes get injured this year, it's a wrap when they do hit the FA market

I'm glad that the NBA sticks it out with the contracts though. It's not like the NFL where if you get injured you could be screwed for the rest of yourlife.

Although, by the time the next CBA comes around, that may change, or at least altered at the very least.

I can't wait to hear the offers that Ariza/LO are fielding. I said earlier that Ariza is making at least 9 million a year, and people balked, but I thinkit's very realistic.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Guys like TMac and JO are in fact stealing money, but it's more because of injuries derailing their career. TMac is an interesting case because insurance is picking up like 80% of his salary.

Guys like Dampier, Cardinal, Foyle, etc straight mollywhopped the system and struck it rich big time.

Interesting that Boozer and Okur exercised their options. Especially Boozer. A team like Detroit or Memphis would've gave these dudes somewhere around 10M.

If either of these dudes get injured this year, it's a wrap when they do hit the FA market
Not really, that potential 10 mil would be less than the 13 mil Booz is set to make this year. Okur probably would have gotten around the same 9mil he's making this year so it was smart to stay. Utah could make some noise if everyone stays healthy next year.

Back
Top Bottom