NBA Legacy Thread, Update Resumes

Dirk to me has, in the playoffs for the past three years, reached a level of basketball nirvana. He never succumbs to the hero disease that have been plaguing superstars since the end of the Jordan era. Jordan becuase of the era he played in, his style of basketball and the mythology that proceeded him created this hero culture in basketball where we feel that the superstar has to take every shot, if he passes or makes the right play we view of him as less of player Dirk even succumbed to these pressures and that more than anything was the cause of the golden state collapse. I think in the process of getting older you loose the need to constantly prove yourself to critics, after 10 years in the league I think he realized he was no longer the skinny German kid trying to proove he belonged but a perennial all star and one of the greatest players ever.

He always makes that right play never forces up a bad shot, if you double him he will kill you with a cross court pass, he makes the game so much easier for himself and his teammates ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. I just think this run he just had has been perfection in terms of the way I look at basketball, and I will always favor the guy who makes the right play regardless of the situation or the amount of ego and glory on the line and Dirk Nowitski is the epitome of that.

EDIT.

Soon enough LeBron going to also quit attempting to please critics and just play his game.

Dirk to me has, in the playoffs for the past three years, reached a level of basketball nirvana. He never succumbs to the hero disease that have been plaguing superstars since the end of the Jordan era. Jordan becuase of the era he played in, his style of basketball and the mythology that proceeded him created this hero culture in basketball where we feel that the superstar has to take every shot, if he passes or makes the right play we view of him as less of player Dirk even succumbed to these pressures and that more than anything was the cause of the golden state collapse. I think in the process of getting older you loose the need to constantly prove yourself to critics, after 10 years in the league I think he realized he was no longer the skinny German kid trying to proove he belonged but a perennial all star and one of the greatest players ever.

He always makes that right play never forces up a bad shot, if you double him he will kill you with a cross court pass, he makes the game so much easier for himself and his teammates ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. I just think this run he just had has been perfection in terms of the way I look at basketball, and I will always favor the guy who makes the right play regardless of the situation or the amount of ego and glory on the line and Dirk Nowitski is the epitome of that.

EDIT.

Soon enough LeBron going to also quit attempting to please critics and just play his game.

"What may shock people is, if he has a couple decent runs, say 2-3 rounds for the next 2-3 years, he could finish 4th all time in assists in the playoffs behind Magic, Stockton, and Kidd. Think about that for a minute. 4th all time in playoff assists, for Kobe the ballhog.
That said, if he gets knocked out in the first round the next 3 years, well then nevermind what I just said."

Amazing, you can call it how much he played in the playoffs or whatever but still you have to put up numbers and Kobe does that and wins.

The arguments against Kobe will continue till he's done. We heard Tmac, Vince, AI, Wade, and Bronze being better than this guy and yet Kobe just endures and continues to show how great he is.

"What may shock people is, if he has a couple decent runs, say 2-3 rounds for the next 2-3 years, he could finish 4th all time in assists in the playoffs behind Magic, Stockton, and Kidd. Think about that for a minute. 4th all time in playoff assists, for Kobe the ballhog.
That said, if he gets knocked out in the first round the next 3 years, well then nevermind what I just said."

Amazing, you can call it how much he played in the playoffs or whatever but still you have to put up numbers and Kobe does that and wins.

The arguments against Kobe will continue till he's done. We heard Tmac, Vince, AI, Wade, and Bronze being better than this guy and yet Kobe just endures and continues to show how great he is.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

THEY WERE NOT IN THERE PRIMES.

Are you serious man? I'm not saying they have been erratic there whole careers, 02-03 Spurs, Manu and Parker were not legitimate second options yet, Robinson was old an no longer a legit second option...Duncan won that by himself.

Parker was already averaging 15ppg that year and he SHREDDED the lakers defense. Manu did the same.
Parker also outplayed prime Jason Kidd in the finals in 2003
sick.gif

THERE IS ALSO NO WAY THE 2003 SPURS BEAT THE LAKERS WITHOUT ROBINSON. That was some of the best defense ever played on Shaq.
You can see this very well if you watch the 2003 vs the 2004 matchup. Robinson was not there in 2004 and Shaq beasted on the Spurs.
You realize Tony Parker was so untrustworthy in the 2003 Finals he was getting benched in favor of Speedy Claxton in the fourth quarter right???

And Manu was inconsistent his rookie year. He had his highs and lows throughout the regular season and playoffs.
I watched parker destroy my own team, along with manu, stephen jackson, and robinson that year

but duncan did it alone
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by PMatic

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

THEY WERE NOT IN THERE PRIMES.

Are you serious man? I'm not saying they have been erratic there whole careers, 02-03 Spurs, Manu and Parker were not legitimate second options yet, Robinson was old an no longer a legit second option...Duncan won that by himself.

Parker was already averaging 15ppg that year and he SHREDDED the lakers defense. Manu did the same.
Parker also outplayed prime Jason Kidd in the finals in 2003
sick.gif

THERE IS ALSO NO WAY THE 2003 SPURS BEAT THE LAKERS WITHOUT ROBINSON. That was some of the best defense ever played on Shaq.
You can see this very well if you watch the 2003 vs the 2004 matchup. Robinson was not there in 2004 and Shaq beasted on the Spurs.
You realize Tony Parker was so untrustworthy in the 2003 Finals he was getting benched in favor of Speedy Claxton in the fourth quarter right???

And Manu was inconsistent his rookie year. He had his highs and lows throughout the regular season and playoffs.
I watched parker destroy my own team, along with manu, stephen jackson, and robinson that year

but duncan did it alone
indifferent.gif

From a Rings stand point Kobe has 5 with a 3 Peat & Back to Back rings

Kobe can and should thank Shaq for 3 of those rings.  Meaning more than half of the rings Kobe has he wasn't even the MAIN or even THE guy.  You Kobe lovers need to start realizing this when you talk about rings and personal accomplishments.

Kobe can and should thank Shaq for 3 of those rings.  Meaning more than half of the rings Kobe has he wasn't even the MAIN or even THE guy.  You Kobe lovers need to start realizing this when you talk about rings and personal accomplishments.

Dirk, Kidd, Wade and Lebron resumes are updated.  I will fill in quotes as I get time.  (Busy morning)  

Osh, thank you for the Dirk quote, I will post that under his resume in a bit. 
JA and Dirk, I will also expect to hear from you on his resume, as well as Kidd if you have the time. 

Allen, you should have the first slot for Lebron, AMP if you want a quote for him, please do so.  I'll post one of my own for Lebron, but I'll wait for you guys to go first, and I won't be as harsh as you all might expect. 
laugh.gif
  I've said many times, I'm a fair guy believe it or not. 

Deuce, you need to let it go.  Serious.  We all know that Shaq was the main cog in 2000, and yet it was the 21 year old that finished out a Finals game in OT, on the road, while Shaq was on the bench.  The game that Kobe didn't play in that series, they got drubbed by like 15+.  Stop acting like the man didn't do anything unreal at 21.  He was also the guy that was the best player on the floor in the Portland series in 2000.  Shaq was having a lot of trouble with Portland's defense, Kobe put up solid numbers.  You might remember Shaq saying in the 4th Q, "don't worry about me guys, get your shots, we gotta win this"  Shaq did very little work in that comeback, the lob was his big play, and by that time, we had already taken the lead.  So please, spare us with the he got 3 because of this and that, he wasn't exactly Brian Cardinal out there buddy. 

That Duncan 03 title was elite level.  David on the decline, Tony and Manu just kids, but they also benefited from facing a team coming off 3 straight finals runs.  If there was more gas in the tank, I don't think the Spurs win in 03 either.  Sometimes, Timing is everything.  Doesn't diminish Duncan, but it's something to be thought of. 

Dirk's run this postseason, will be talked about for a LONG time.  It was simply outstanding.  And crazy to say it, but that game 4 vs Portland turned the Mavs entire season around.  Damn near think it woke them up so to speak.  If they cruise out that win, go up 3-1 vs Portland, do they have any "fire" so to speak as they go thru the next rounds?  Going home for game 5 and having their fans helped them get back on track, get rid of the demon of game 4 Roy game.  They learned they could come back and beat adversity, something they had failed to do previous years.  Great run by them. 

Dirk, Kidd, Wade and Lebron resumes are updated.  I will fill in quotes as I get time.  (Busy morning)  

Osh, thank you for the Dirk quote, I will post that under his resume in a bit. 
JA and Dirk, I will also expect to hear from you on his resume, as well as Kidd if you have the time. 

Allen, you should have the first slot for Lebron, AMP if you want a quote for him, please do so.  I'll post one of my own for Lebron, but I'll wait for you guys to go first, and I won't be as harsh as you all might expect. 
laugh.gif
  I've said many times, I'm a fair guy believe it or not. 

Deuce, you need to let it go.  Serious.  We all know that Shaq was the main cog in 2000, and yet it was the 21 year old that finished out a Finals game in OT, on the road, while Shaq was on the bench.  The game that Kobe didn't play in that series, they got drubbed by like 15+.  Stop acting like the man didn't do anything unreal at 21.  He was also the guy that was the best player on the floor in the Portland series in 2000.  Shaq was having a lot of trouble with Portland's defense, Kobe put up solid numbers.  You might remember Shaq saying in the 4th Q, "don't worry about me guys, get your shots, we gotta win this"  Shaq did very little work in that comeback, the lob was his big play, and by that time, we had already taken the lead.  So please, spare us with the he got 3 because of this and that, he wasn't exactly Brian Cardinal out there buddy. 

That Duncan 03 title was elite level.  David on the decline, Tony and Manu just kids, but they also benefited from facing a team coming off 3 straight finals runs.  If there was more gas in the tank, I don't think the Spurs win in 03 either.  Sometimes, Timing is everything.  Doesn't diminish Duncan, but it's something to be thought of. 

Dirk's run this postseason, will be talked about for a LONG time.  It was simply outstanding.  And crazy to say it, but that game 4 vs Portland turned the Mavs entire season around.  Damn near think it woke them up so to speak.  If they cruise out that win, go up 3-1 vs Portland, do they have any "fire" so to speak as they go thru the next rounds?  Going home for game 5 and having their fans helped them get back on track, get rid of the demon of game 4 Roy game.  They learned they could come back and beat adversity, something they had failed to do previous years.  Great run by them. 

So please, spare us with the he got 3 because of this and that, he wasn't exactly Brian Cardinal out there buddy. 
Yeah he wasn't Brian Cardinal out there, but he dam sure wasn't the anchor of either of those first 3 championships which is exactly what I was getting at.  Which is why you only menitoned 2 games from the 3 championship series that he was in for the first 3 rings he got.  As far as giving absolute credit ever in a championship if ever one was considered for any team in NBA history be it past, present or future, for this example here just for that Laker teams that Shaq and Kobe was on Shaq was the MAIN guy. 

So please, spare us with the he got 3 because of this and that, he wasn't exactly Brian Cardinal out there buddy. 
Yeah he wasn't Brian Cardinal out there, but he dam sure wasn't the anchor of either of those first 3 championships which is exactly what I was getting at.  Which is why you only menitoned 2 games from the 3 championship series that he was in for the first 3 rings he got.  As far as giving absolute credit ever in a championship if ever one was considered for any team in NBA history be it past, present or future, for this example here just for that Laker teams that Shaq and Kobe was on Shaq was the MAIN guy. 

Originally Posted by Deuce King

? Nevermind the fact that they basically won the title with 2 players that year. Winning the title with Glenn Rice as your third option? 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

I never understood how it's either or, both Shaq and Kobe needed eachother, it turns out that's all they had those years.

? Nevermind the fact that they basically won the title with 2 players that year. Winning the title with Glenn Rice as your third option? 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

I never understood how it's either or, both Shaq and Kobe needed eachother, it turns out that's all they had those years.

Comments like this is what LeBron will see/read/hear no matter how many rings he wins. So I think it is safe to say that his legacy has an automatic ceiling on it as we currently speak.

Comments like this is what LeBron will see/read/hear no matter how many rings he wins. So I think it is safe to say that his legacy has an automatic ceiling on it as we currently speak.

Are we free to just post whatever nonsense we want? Or is there some structure?
nerd.gif

To me, Dirk is now the 3rd best PF. I'll post more about it later, but last night, and this year, Dirk proved he's one of the best. If he wins another, second best PF ever. I'm not even thinking about that though.

He's definitely a Top 30 player, and probably a top-10 scorer ever.

Are we free to just post whatever nonsense we want? Or is there some structure?
nerd.gif

To me, Dirk is now the 3rd best PF. I'll post more about it later, but last night, and this year, Dirk proved he's one of the best. If he wins another, second best PF ever. I'm not even thinking about that though.

He's definitely a Top 30 player, and probably a top-10 scorer ever.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Shaq is widely considered THE MOST dominating basketball player of all-time if not then definitely Top 3 in regards to most dominating, but yet Shaq "needed" Kobe.  You dudes are funny.

I hear ya champ, but after last night I think the roof just caved in on Lebron's legacy, at least for a little bit. 

Shaq is widely considered THE MOST dominating basketball player of all-time if not then definitely Top 3 in regards to most dominating, but yet Shaq "needed" Kobe.  You dudes are funny.

I hear ya champ, but after last night I think the roof just caved in on Lebron's legacy, at least for a little bit. 

so do the lakers win with shaq only and not kobe?.

Back
Top Bottom