Members of historically black fraternities please step in..

I don't see the necessity of posts going against Greek orgs and bashing such stuff.

It just doesn't make sense how one can justify their extreme negative perspective of it when they've never experienced what it's like.

sooperhooper would probably have the best view of it, but based on his experience with his previous org alone.

There are too many orgs, so it's unfair and truly biased to marginalize all of them in some stereotyped category.

I think this is more for the people who are already genuinely interested in the matter.

With that said, it has its advantages and disadvantages like anything else. But if you join, join for your reasons and not anybody else's.

Greek life is certainly not for everyone. The org, university, demographics, dynamics and many other things factor in in how they can be beneficial to your student life and beyond, but only you can determine how far you can go with it. Is it a necessity? Absolutely not. Can you achieve any and all of these things without going Greek? Of course. But it has its own perks that only goes with joining. So to answer your question, get to know the orgs more, and the more you do, if a certain org is right one for you (of if Greek life isn't for you), it serves more as a sure answer rather than a choice.

Like someone posted before, you know what you want to do. My advice is research on your own (which you apparently have done), and then talk to a member of the organization you are interested in. When you talk to a member, make sure that the member is one that does work for his organization, and I'm not talking about the one always in the spotlight.

Before I joined my organization, I also had the notion that Greek organizations were corny. It wasn't until I became involved in other organizations campus and started volunteering when I became interested in Greek organizations. Furthering my involvement in the community and being apart of something that has been historically positive in the black community are the main reasons why I decided to join. The individuals of the organization that I am apart of and my demeanor is why I selected Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc.

Like all organizations (not just Greek organizations), there are members who make the organization look bad, but if you join, make sure you do it for the right reasons, and DO YOUR PART to uplift the organization you are in. A lot of the people that join for popularity and let their letters change them are wack as hell, and that goes for members in my organization too. I didn't need my organization to get girls or seem "cool". Actually, joining my organization made me more focused and less likely to socialize, because I was busy doing work for the organization. Many new people I meet do not even know I'm in a Kappa, unless they see my car or someone tell them. You make the organization, don't let the organization make you.

As far as the networking argument, yes you can do it without being in an organization, just like anything else, but being in an organization has made it a lot easier for me. If it wasn't for a brother who I volunteered under, I would not have been able to get into grad school as quick as I was able to. So for me, it's much more than a "tire discount".

All in all, do you OP.

Like someone posted before, you know what you want to do. My advice is research on your own (which you apparently have done), and then talk to a member of the organization you are interested in. When you talk to a member, make sure that the member is one that does work for his organization, and I'm not talking about the one always in the spotlight.

Before I joined my organization, I also had the notion that Greek organizations were corny. It wasn't until I became involved in other organizations campus and started volunteering when I became interested in Greek organizations. Furthering my involvement in the community and being apart of something that has been historically positive in the black community are the main reasons why I decided to join. The individuals of the organization that I am apart of and my demeanor is why I selected Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc.

Like all organizations (not just Greek organizations), there are members who make the organization look bad, but if you join, make sure you do it for the right reasons, and DO YOUR PART to uplift the organization you are in. A lot of the people that join for popularity and let their letters change them are wack as hell, and that goes for members in my organization too. I didn't need my organization to get girls or seem "cool". Actually, joining my organization made me more focused and less likely to socialize, because I was busy doing work for the organization. Many new people I meet do not even know I'm in a Kappa, unless they see my car or someone tell them. You make the organization, don't let the organization make you.

As far as the networking argument, yes you can do it without being in an organization, just like anything else, but being in an organization has made it a lot easier for me. If it wasn't for a brother who I volunteered under, I would not have been able to get into grad school as quick as I was able to. So for me, it's much more than a "tire discount".

All in all, do you OP.

Originally Posted by Screech

Originally Posted by Ginzo

I gotta friend that's in a frat, duke is brainwashed beyond belief always trying to get me to pledge.
He's always talking about how cool it is to be in a frat so I asked him one day "so what do you do in the frat?"
He responds "Oh honestly I can't tell you you have to pledge to know."
Me:
indifferent.gif

Why wouldn't someone in a frat answer this question if you're trying to persuade me into joining?
I can't cosign eNPHAN enough. I see frats as a cop out for making friends not trying to knock the next man but let's be cereal most of these cats join so they can wear their frat gear and have people asking em "oh you're in a frat can you hook me up with so and so?"

My 2 cents
grin.gif
lol at the networking excuse tho. If you wanna network and get paid join the military. biggest frat, clique.

laugh.gif

Everybody doesn't want to basically sacrifice their life to network...whether it's being away from your friends and family or being shipped to some country for duty. What a ridiculous comparison.

I've been paid directly through my fraternity and inadvertently. What's your excuse now?

Originally Posted by Screech

Originally Posted by Ginzo

I gotta friend that's in a frat, duke is brainwashed beyond belief always trying to get me to pledge.
He's always talking about how cool it is to be in a frat so I asked him one day "so what do you do in the frat?"
He responds "Oh honestly I can't tell you you have to pledge to know."
Me:
indifferent.gif

Why wouldn't someone in a frat answer this question if you're trying to persuade me into joining?
I can't cosign eNPHAN enough. I see frats as a cop out for making friends not trying to knock the next man but let's be cereal most of these cats join so they can wear their frat gear and have people asking em "oh you're in a frat can you hook me up with so and so?"

My 2 cents
grin.gif
lol at the networking excuse tho. If you wanna network and get paid join the military. biggest frat, clique.

laugh.gif

Everybody doesn't want to basically sacrifice their life to network...whether it's being away from your friends and family or being shipped to some country for duty. What a ridiculous comparison.

I've been paid directly through my fraternity and inadvertently. What's your excuse now?

Originally Posted by cartune

Why not just be a Mason and actually benefit?

Why not benefit from both? I know Masons that are out here on some bum @#$#. Just like anything else, it's how you utilize your network...whether you've been a teammate with someone in HS or college that is in a good position now or if you've previously worked with someone doing well or if you've made yourself known and approachable to whomever.

You don't need a fraternity or Masonry or anything else to network...but those are avenues whether you want to believe it or not.

Originally Posted by cartune

Why not just be a Mason and actually benefit?

Why not benefit from both? I know Masons that are out here on some bum @#$#. Just like anything else, it's how you utilize your network...whether you've been a teammate with someone in HS or college that is in a good position now or if you've previously worked with someone doing well or if you've made yourself known and approachable to whomever.

You don't need a fraternity or Masonry or anything else to network...but those are avenues whether you want to believe it or not.

P, don't act like you aint get your %+# beat for "networking opportunities," tho

P, don't act like you aint get your %+# beat for "networking opportunities," tho

Tau Kappa Epsilon, CSUEB. I joined my frat because I like what we stand for, and I definitely try to bring as much as I can into my everyday life. I dont know much about D9, its pretty secret #@# from what ive seen and heard on campus, but regardless, just know before you pledge, that you should be comfortable with the guys who are active in the frat, make sure you want to be there brother, because its a bond beyond regular friendship, and last go over what they preach, make sure you feel it, and before you ultimately decide, examine the way the existing members carry themselves, like some people in this thread mentioned before, some just do it to wear letters and look pretty boy status. Remember, as much as this frat or that frat is picking you, your also picking them.

Tau Kappa Epsilon, CSUEB. I joined my frat because I like what we stand for, and I definitely try to bring as much as I can into my everyday life. I dont know much about D9, its pretty secret #@# from what ive seen and heard on campus, but regardless, just know before you pledge, that you should be comfortable with the guys who are active in the frat, make sure you want to be there brother, because its a bond beyond regular friendship, and last go over what they preach, make sure you feel it, and before you ultimately decide, examine the way the existing members carry themselves, like some people in this thread mentioned before, some just do it to wear letters and look pretty boy status. Remember, as much as this frat or that frat is picking you, your also picking them.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

P, don't act like you aint get your **+ beat for "networking opportunities," tho

And? There are dudes coming in here saying..."You can get the same networking opportunities through the military." I'm sure they went through some sort of unfavorable process that required physical pain.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

P, don't act like you aint get your **+ beat for "networking opportunities," tho

And? There are dudes coming in here saying..."You can get the same networking opportunities through the military." I'm sure they went through some sort of unfavorable process that required physical pain.

iBlink wrote:
firered18 wrote:
With that being said, I've looked up each of the fraternities and basically all of them seem to have the same mission statements/purposes just in different words.  So for all of you who may be a part of one of these organizations: what distinguished the fraternity that you became a part of?? and also what are the rules on interest meetings? Say I attend one for a fraternity..am I a trader or "blacklisted" if I attend a meeting for another fraternity?

Thanks in advance guys

Of course they all seem to have the same mission statement. You have to think about the time frame in which these organizations came about. Most of the D9 frats have been around for 90+ years. The purpose of all black collegiate men 100 years was to uplift their brothers (greek or not). Over time, the visions of what the founders of these organizations intended got obscurred.

I'm a Kappa and I can't tell you how many brothers just seem to want the letters to be a "pretty boy" and shimmy for the women. Speaking from experience, it's deeper than that. For me, there was no other option. The real Kappa is what caught my attention. You see professional men who are determined to handle business first, then enjoy the fruits of their labor later. Business before pleasure
grin.gif
. e end of the day, you're not a Nupe, so you wouldn't get exactly what I'm saying.

What you have to realize is that everything you can accomplish by being greek, you are still capable of the same without the letters. Don't get me wrong, the cennections are good, but you can make connections without pledging. Think about what you're getting into before you express interest to any of the greeks at your school. Do research and ask members through annonymous resources. Only go to the interest meeting if you are %100 sure that that's the organization for you. Know that if you make it in, you'll be part of it for life and you'll have to accept all that goes along with it... good bad and ugly.

THIS x 1000000000 First I saw Nupes....and was like "that's cool, I can relate." Then I saw a SON OF DIGGS and my life was changed. He taught me what it truly means to "Achieve In Ever Field Of Human Endeavor" Whether it be academics, sports, conquest of skallywags, as in gerneral as a human being. It was always in my heart....and after meeting Big Brother 3D, I was re-assured.

iBlink wrote:
firered18 wrote:
With that being said, I've looked up each of the fraternities and basically all of them seem to have the same mission statements/purposes just in different words.  So for all of you who may be a part of one of these organizations: what distinguished the fraternity that you became a part of?? and also what are the rules on interest meetings? Say I attend one for a fraternity..am I a trader or "blacklisted" if I attend a meeting for another fraternity?

Thanks in advance guys

Of course they all seem to have the same mission statement. You have to think about the time frame in which these organizations came about. Most of the D9 frats have been around for 90+ years. The purpose of all black collegiate men 100 years was to uplift their brothers (greek or not). Over time, the visions of what the founders of these organizations intended got obscurred.

I'm a Kappa and I can't tell you how many brothers just seem to want the letters to be a "pretty boy" and shimmy for the women. Speaking from experience, it's deeper than that. For me, there was no other option. The real Kappa is what caught my attention. You see professional men who are determined to handle business first, then enjoy the fruits of their labor later. Business before pleasure
grin.gif
. e end of the day, you're not a Nupe, so you wouldn't get exactly what I'm saying.

What you have to realize is that everything you can accomplish by being greek, you are still capable of the same without the letters. Don't get me wrong, the cennections are good, but you can make connections without pledging. Think about what you're getting into before you express interest to any of the greeks at your school. Do research and ask members through annonymous resources. Only go to the interest meeting if you are %100 sure that that's the organization for you. Know that if you make it in, you'll be part of it for life and you'll have to accept all that goes along with it... good bad and ugly.

THIS x 1000000000 First I saw Nupes....and was like "that's cool, I can relate." Then I saw a SON OF DIGGS and my life was changed. He taught me what it truly means to "Achieve In Ever Field Of Human Endeavor" Whether it be academics, sports, conquest of skallywags, as in gerneral as a human being. It was always in my heart....and after meeting Big Brother 3D, I was re-assured.

Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

I ain't tryna eat no cookie that's been ejaculated on by 5 other dudes though

See...that's some *@$%#$!! right there, though. From jump, they said nothing will happen to us that didn't happen to those that came before us. That's just apart of the code.

Anything degrading or mad disrespectful was not an option. Unfortunately, I'm sure everyone doesn't go by that. It varies by organization. It varies by chapter. It varies by university. It varies by district.

Rule #1 was that "You're a man before, during, and after the process." Anything going against one's manhood was not happening so...sorry your perception is flawed because dudes out here on gay @@%#.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

I ain't tryna eat no cookie that's been ejaculated on by 5 other dudes though

See...that's some *@$%#$!! right there, though. From jump, they said nothing will happen to us that didn't happen to those that came before us. That's just apart of the code.

Anything degrading or mad disrespectful was not an option. Unfortunately, I'm sure everyone doesn't go by that. It varies by organization. It varies by chapter. It varies by university. It varies by district.

Rule #1 was that "You're a man before, during, and after the process." Anything going against one's manhood was not happening so...sorry your perception is flawed because dudes out here on gay @@%#.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom