Members of historically black fraternities please step in..

I gotta friend that's in a frat, duke is brainwashed beyond belief always trying to get me to pledge.
He's always talking about how cool it is to be in a frat so I asked him one day "so what do you do in the frat?"
He responds "Oh honestly I can't tell you you have to pledge to know."
Me:
indifferent.gif

Why wouldn't someone in a frat answer this question if you're trying to persuade me into joining?
I can't cosign eNPHAN enough. I see frats as a cop out for making friends not trying to knock the next man but let's be cereal most of these cats join so they can wear their frat gear and have people asking em "oh you're in a frat can you hook me up with so and so?"

My 2 cents
grin.gif

I gotta friend that's in a frat, duke is brainwashed beyond belief always trying to get me to pledge.
He's always talking about how cool it is to be in a frat so I asked him one day "so what do you do in the frat?"
Me:
indifferent.gif

Why wouldn't someone in a frat answer this question if you're trying to persuade me into joining?
I can't cosign eNPHAN enough. I see frats as a cop out for making friends not trying to knock the next man but let's be cereal most of these cats join so they can wear their frat gear and have people asking em "oh you're in a frat can you hook me up with so and so?"

My 2 cents
grin.gif

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

c.) networking = ive never personally seen a frat come into the equation as a determining factor. you can do just as much, if not more effective networking outside of a frat. the most ive seen is dudes hook up their bruhs with like discounts on tires or something.....used tires at that...

This is what YOU have seen. As a member of an organization I've seen much greater examples of how networking is beneficial in the frat. You're not even a member of an org so you speaking about the networking is pointless
laugh.gif
. Networking in a frat is just like networking in life. You have to take advantage of the network, nothing is just given to you. 

please, provide me with a personal example of how being in a frat helped you network professionally...

the dudes running companies were much too busy doing their work in college to pledge, bro....

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

c.) networking = ive never personally seen a frat come into the equation as a determining factor. you can do just as much, if not more effective networking outside of a frat. the most ive seen is dudes hook up their bruhs with like discounts on tires or something.....used tires at that...

This is what YOU have seen. As a member of an organization I've seen much greater examples of how networking is beneficial in the frat. You're not even a member of an org so you speaking about the networking is pointless
laugh.gif
. Networking in a frat is just like networking in life. You have to take advantage of the network, nothing is just given to you. 

please, provide me with a personal example of how being in a frat helped you network professionally...

the dudes running companies were much too busy doing their work in college to pledge, bro....

Like I said my dude you sound like an idiot right now. Dudes were too busy doing their work in college to pledge? Right, tell that to the late Johnnie Cochran, Bob Johnson, Reginald Lewis, Adrian Fenty.. The list goes on. Sometimes you just have to speak about things that you know about. This is clearly something that you don't know about. Having a strong opinion ≠ being knowledgeable.

Personally, I've been able to come in contact with one of the most prestigious black judges in the United States, a guy that has also served as the general counsel of the NAACP. This guy is mentoring me and helping to guide me on my path to law school and beyond. I'm still an undergrad at the moment and I've seen brothers of my fraternity use networking to get Wall Street internships. I've seen a brother meet another brother who held a position on an admissions board for a prestigious graduate school and get accepted to that school on the spot after sending the bro his resumé and some recs. Like I said networking is what you make of it. It also calls for a little luck to be involved in a lot of cases. Networking wouldn't be my primary reason for joining an organization because once you're in college you're already opening up a bunch of different networks to tap into.

The examples that I present definitely surpass "discounted tires." FOH.

Like I said my dude you sound like an idiot right now. Dudes were too busy doing their work in college to pledge? Right, tell that to the late Johnnie Cochran, Bob Johnson, Reginald Lewis, Adrian Fenty.. The list goes on. Sometimes you just have to speak about things that you know about. This is clearly something that you don't know about. Having a strong opinion ≠ being knowledgeable.

Personally, I've been able to come in contact with one of the most prestigious black judges in the United States, a guy that has also served as the general counsel of the NAACP. This guy is mentoring me and helping to guide me on my path to law school and beyond. I'm still an undergrad at the moment and I've seen brothers of my fraternity use networking to get Wall Street internships. I've seen a brother meet another brother who held a position on an admissions board for a prestigious graduate school and get accepted to that school on the spot after sending the bro his resumé and some recs. Like I said networking is what you make of it. It also calls for a little luck to be involved in a lot of cases. Networking wouldn't be my primary reason for joining an organization because once you're in college you're already opening up a bunch of different networks to tap into.

The examples that I present definitely surpass "discounted tires." FOH.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Why they were founded have VERY little to to do with how they operate now.

the spirit of all orgs has changed tremendously. All of the original objectives are trivialized by the current attitude and meaning that it has evolved into.

this is so true.

the spirit of all orgs has changed tremendously. All of the original objectives are trivialized by the current attitude and meaning that it has evolved into.

this is so true.

I'm not a member of a fraternity as of yet so I won't chime in much advice.

I wish you luck though, and I hope you are putting in effort when your making a decision.

I'm not a member of a fraternity as of yet so I won't chime in much advice.

I wish you luck though, and I hope you are putting in effort when your making a decision.

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

this is so true.
In addition to this:
All I'ma add is what goes on behind closed doors more or less stays there but that doesn't mean it's good.

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

this is so true.
In addition to this:
All I'ma add is what goes on behind closed doors more or less stays there but that doesn't mean it's good.

Originally Posted by Ginzo

Me:
indifferent.gif

My 2 cents
grin.gif
lol at the networking excuse tho. If you wanna network and get paid join the military. biggest frat, clique.

Originally Posted by Ginzo

Me:
indifferent.gif

My 2 cents
grin.gif
lol at the networking excuse tho. If you wanna network and get paid join the military. biggest frat, clique.

you really do got to feel out ALL the frats cuz with the good some have very bad reps (google) KAPPAS and donuts ...lol
but the "frat" im in is WAY more connected

how cold 32 degrees

you really do got to feel out ALL the frats cuz with the good some have very bad reps (google) KAPPAS and donuts ...lol
but the "frat" im in is WAY more connected

how cold 32 degrees

I'm not about to debate with anyone about why you should or should not join a fraternity. It's not for everybody.

But, I do have the job I have now largely due to my relationship with the manager, who is also an Alpha. Please believe that the opportunity wasn't just handed to me though.

But paying for friends and all that stereotypical stuff...not over here.
laugh.gif
It happens but a few lames shouldn't speak for everybody.

I'm not about to debate with anyone about why you should or should not join a fraternity. It's not for everybody.

But, I do have the job I have now largely due to my relationship with the manager, who is also an Alpha. Please believe that the opportunity wasn't just handed to me though.

But paying for friends and all that stereotypical stuff...not over here.
laugh.gif
It happens but a few lames shouldn't speak for everybody.

I don't see the necessity of posts going against Greek orgs and bashing such stuff.

It just doesn't make sense how one can justify their extreme negative perspective of it when they've never experienced what it's like.

sooperhooper would probably have the best view of it, but based on his experience with his previous org alone.

There are too many orgs, so it's unfair and truly biased to marginalize all of them in some stereotyped category.

I think this is more for the people who are already genuinely interested in the matter.

With that said, it has its advantages and disadvantages like anything else. But if you join, join for your reasons and not anybody else's.

Greek life is certainly not for everyone. The org, university, demographics, dynamics and many other things factor in in how they can be beneficial to your student life and beyond, but only you can determine how far you can go with it. Is it a necessity? Absolutely not. Can you achieve any and all of these things without going Greek? Of course. But it has its own perks that only goes with joining. So to answer your question, get to know the orgs more, and the more you do, if a certain org is right one for you (of if Greek life isn't for you), it serves more as a sure answer rather than a choice.

Back
Top Bottom